Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenzhang636

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent grad currently taking a gap year.

Info
GPA: 3.76 (from #1 bme major program)
MCAT: have not received scores yet but not confident

Research: 6+ years probably around 3000 hours total (currently working in an Emory lab during gap), no publications, but have presented at my college and international poster sessions, spent a year doing research funded by Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, received an award for my college
Work: student assistant at my college (received award for work)
Clinical: very little experience, trying to get volunteering and shadowing during my gap year

EC: 4 years at a local theater, multiple technical design awards and a lifetime service award

My story: I originally thought that I wanted to apply to just MD programs this year but after I took the MCAT, I had a moment of crisis where I realized that I didn't actually know if I was passionate about medicine. I started researching programs and talked to a couple doctors that I know and am now really interested in MD/PhD programs (I was sorta stuck deciding between med school and research during my undergrad). Right now, I'm waiting on my MCAT scores (took at the end of May) and trying to get some clinical experience so I can see if the hospital environment is for me. Overall, I really confident about wanting to pursue research but not sure if I want to include medicine in that.

I was wondering if I should even bother to apply to programs this cycle since I'm not 100% sure and because my clinical experience is so minimal. I feel like my uncertainty (and lack of clinical experience) would come through in my essays or interviews. But it just seems a shame to wait another year (on top of the current gap year I'm taking) even though I know a year in the long run isn't a big deal.

Should I take another year to gain that experience and possibly take the MCAT again if my scores aren't great? (I took the MCAT right after graduating and after an insanely hard semester so didn't study well. Also, any advice about MD/PhD vs. just PhD? I know I have a decent research background and a lackluster clinical background.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not apply this year. It's a long, challenging road ahead. Take the time to reflect until you are 100% sure this is the route for you.

I disagree with the first poster about definitely not applying this cycle. Think about it until you get your MCAT scores and then ask here again based on what they would realistically make possible. No need for haste

Members don't see this ad :)
If you took the AAMC FL before your actual MCAT, what was your score? That will be the best predictor of your score ("not confident" doesn't tell us much).

Research can be highly unpredictable but I'm intrigued by the 3000-hour / no publications combination. Have you submitted a manuscript for publication, or do you have plans to do so in the near future? What is the nature of the research you have done? Have you spent considerable time in the same lab/on the same project, or did you move around?

I think adcoms will be very skeptical of the "I talked to doctors and am really interested in MD/PhD programs, but I haven't shadowed or volunteered yet" explanation. I'm not even sure if I completely buy it -- I had to shadow an MD/PhD and discuss extensively to understand the ups and downs of the career and decide if it was the right path for me. Just my two cents, but it's likely to be a weak point in your app for any medical degree, let alone MD/PhD where the stakes and commitments are greater.

It's good to be flexible for this cycle so I wouldn't rule out an MD/PhD app yet, but based on what you have right now I think there are candidates with much more compelling cases. If you haven't taken the GRE yet, I would do so, and probe PhD options. You can always do biomedically related research in your career, or get an MD later on if you really want it (though it is longer and more expensive).

If you took the AAMC FL before your actual MCAT, what was your score? That will be the best predictor of your score ("not confident" doesn't tell us much).

Research can be highly unpredictable but I'm intrigued by the 3000-hour / no publications combination. Have you submitted a manuscript for publication, or do you have plans to do so in the near future? What is the nature of the research you have done? Have you spent considerable time in the same lab/on the same project, or did you move around?

I think adcoms will be very skeptical of the "I talked to doctors and am really interested in MD/PhD programs, but I haven't shadowed or volunteered yet" explanation. I'm not even sure if I completely buy it -- I had to shadow an MD/PhD and discuss extensively to understand the ups and downs of the career and decide if it was the right path for me. Just my two cents, but it's likely to be a weak point in your app for any medical degree, let alone MD/PhD where the stakes and commitments are greater.

It's good to be flexible for this cycle so I wouldn't rule out an MD/PhD app yet, but based on what you have right now I think there are candidates with much more compelling cases. If you haven't taken the GRE yet, I would do so, and probe PhD options. You can always do biomedically related research in your career, or get an MD later on if you really want it (though it is longer and more expensive).

For the research, it is unfortunate that I haven't had any publications. I've been a part of two labs. The first, the postdoc I was under left to take a position in Harvard and the lab wasn't in a place to keep me on without her. For the second, I originally started there under a summer program and was offered to stay on after the program ended because one of the supervisors was impressed with my work. Unfortunately, in second lab, I have jumped around on projects (a year long independent one) and then two more that were more 'me taking on a portion of a grad student's work towards their thesis'. While it was independent in that I was in charge of the experiment, analyzing data, etc., it never reached the point of publication to this date. It's also been a little wonky in that situation because the PI of the second lab left and everyone had to pause their work while transferring over to a new lab. Additionally, by the time things had started to settle, I graduated.

I completely agree with you being skeptical about my MD/PhD explanation; I am too. That's why I've been leaning more and more towards taking an additional gap year so I could focus the next year on shadowing (since the post, I've reached out and have started shadowing a trauma surgeon) and volunteering (I've also been applying for volunteering positions at hospitals, clinics, centers). I really wanted additional opinions what I currently looked like as a candidate and your response definitely showed that I need to focus on gaining more clinical experience.

Last edited:
For the research, it is unfortunate that I haven't had any publications. I've been a part of two labs. The first, the postdoc I was under left to take a position in Harvard and the lab wasn't in a place to keep me on without her. For the second, I originally started there under a summer program and was offered to stay on after the program ended because one of the supervisors was impressed with my work. Unfortunately, in second lab, I have jumped around on projects (a year long independent one) and then two more that were more 'me taking on a portion of a grad student's work towards their thesis'. While it was independent in that I was in charge of the experiment, analyzing data, etc., it never reached the point of publication to this date. It's also been a little wonky in that situation because the PI of the second lab left and everyone had to pause their work while transferring over to a new lab. Additionally, by the time things had started to settle, I graduated.

I completely agree with you being skeptical about my MD/PhD explanation; I am too. That's why I've been leaning more and more towards taking an additional gap year so I could focus the next year on shadowing (since the post, I've reached out and have started shadowing a trauma surgeon) and volunteering (I've also been applying for volunteering positions at hospitals, clinics, centers). I really wanted additional opinions what I currently looked like as a candidate and your response definitely showed that I need to focus on gaining more clinical experience.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of pubs. Nobody expects you to have them right now. I was just curious since 3000 hours of research is a considerable chunk of time to spend during undergrad.

From what you've said here I think an additional gap year would serve you well, if you invest the time seriously into the Emory research project and into shadowing/volunteering with an eye towards MD/PhD apps next year. Since we still don't have any handle on your potential MCAT score, that is a missing part that could make or break your app, but if you are not satisfied with your score you will also have the time (if deemed necessary) to study again and retake. The gap year will also give you time to think incisively about whether or not MD/PhD really is right for you -- and will give you time to explore other options, like PhD programs.

Your relationship with your Emory PI may not be strong yet, but a tactful conversation about possible publishing opportunities would be a good idea. It's up to you if/when you want to do that.

Thanks for your input! I think I'm definitely going to take an extra gap year. I talked to my research advisor from undergrad who is actually in the middle of the Emory MD/PhD program and he basically said the exact same things you said. He also pointed out that there's no point in spending the money to apply this year if I know that I won't be giving it my all.

Sounds like you have a plan -- all the best!