Shopping for new C-arm. Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My 15 yr old Phillips BV pulsera is dying. I need to buy a new c arm. Any suggestions?
Happy with yours, or not?

Talked to a Phillips Rep and they want $101,000 for a new BV Pulsera?

Good product?
Good/bad price?

Any thing else you'd look at instead?

Will probably buy cash, not likely lease.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Negotiate the service plan when purchasing. I think that price is pretty good. I got better terms from my bank than leasing from them.

Reactions: 1 user
I paid 90k in December 2012 and took delivery Summer 2013. They wanted to post sale on their books before new medical equipment tax. Negotiated free extra year warranty. Bank financing was cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
GE OEC 9900

If you buy outright, don't forget about the section 279 tax deduction. The limit is 500k and was made permanent law in 2015. So, you can completely write off any capital purchases instead of deducting the lease payments or depreciation.

Hyperalgesia: is what you said about the tax issue true if you are having the bank pay the total cost for the equipment and you are paying the bank the amount over a few years (i.e, it's a bank loan, but the actual purchase is an outright full purchase, not a lease to own....)?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hyperalgesia: is what you said about the tax issue true if you are having the bank pay the total cost for the equipment and you are paying the bank the amount over a few years (i.e, it's a bank loan, but the actual purchase is an outright full purchase, not a lease to own....)?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
If you are taking out a loan and using it to buy the equipment, I would think so. But if the bank is independently purchasing it and then you are buying it from the bank incrementally, I would think the individual payments to the bank would be deductible. But I'm not a tax expert and really I have no idea.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks again!

You are looking at $101,000 for a new Pulsera vs. around $40,000-$50,000 for a used one.

You'd need a service contract for a used one at $8500-$10,000/year for sure.

How long is the warranty/service contract with the new one?

I'm in the same position. Have you decided on your route?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are looking at $101,000 for a new Pulsera vs. around $40,000-$50,000 for a used one.

Standard warranty is 1 year but I negotiated a 2 year warranty with my purchase.

Still looking.

not sure i wouldnt buy 2 used ones just to have the other as a backup

not sure i wouldnt buy 2 used ones just to have the other as a backup

Yeah. I'm leaning towards new, for that exact reason. The one I'm currently using which is on deaths door has lasted 15 years (2002 Philips BV Pulsara). Thinking maybe, just maybe (on a hope and a prayer) if I go new on this one, it could be the last one I have to buy.

This is what I may go with. Damn, it's expensive though, if you buy new.

You might want to consider the motorized version (if still available). That way you can operate the whole thing yourself and be less or non-reliant upon an MA or RT to operate your machine, and also minimize risk if such staff is sick or no shows.

drusso has a motorized c-arm and my understanding is that it has worked out well for him. Hope you don't mind drusso for me ratting you out. :0)

You might want to consider the motorized version (if still available). That way you can operate the whole thing yourself and be less or non-reliant upon an MA or RT to operate your machine, and also minimize risk if such staff is sick or no shows.

drusso has a motorized c-arm and my understanding is that it has worked out well for him. Hope you don't mind drusso for me ratting you out. :0)

Hmm...ok. Will think about that.

If I were buying I think I would look at 2 used 9800s and no warranty/svc contract. Maybe some sterile covers for solo use when needed.

I used a motorized for 3 1/2 years then went into private practice and had one run by a tech. Now I'm back at the VA with my motorized c-arm. It's awesome. I control everything.... no more "cc this way or oblique that way". It's pretty smooth. Does make you work a little more though and it's slow compared to a good fluoro tech. Beats the hell out of a bad fluoro tech though. Ours at the VA cost a cool $250k!

Reactions: 1 users
I have never seen a motorized portable C-arm. Is it an OEC? Closest I have seen was an OEC we had in late 1990s that had motorized tilt. It was awful because after you tilted it you need to wait 30 seconds for the II to stop shaking or the image was blurred.

Why put up with crappy Rad techs if they can't run a C-arm for pain procedures? It is not rocket science
Can train an MA to run one efficiently in about 2 weeks in my experience

I might have an oec 9800 for sale soon

Does anyone know anything about the OEC One? Rep offered me a new one for 70k which includes a 2 year warranty.

I'm also considering a used one such as Doctodd's 9800 but am a little concerned about damage during shipping.

Otherwise it'll be a used Pulsera with a service contract.

I wouldn’t be concerned with damage during shipping especially during cold weather(the rubber brakes can melt in heat). They strap everything in, it’s wrapped in bubble wrap or plastic wrap, and they insure it.

Anyone use a Ziehm Solo? I test drove one and the price and images are good. I’m always having to move my neck around to see the monitor though

Anyone use a Ziehm Solo? I test drove one and the price and images are good. I’m always having to move my neck around to see the monitor though
Ziehm solo is solid. Have used it for years. Good picture quality, durable, low maintenance

Reactions: 1 users
Bringing up an old thread here, but I am also now in the market for another c arm. My procedure room isn’t too large so the compact ge oec one is appealing. Have any of you used it or have any knowledge about how well it works for our procedures?

I know it’s generator is much weaker than the other oec models but curious to know much difference that makes for procedures? Thanks!

Any updates on this thread? In the market for a used/refurbished C-arm. Currently have old OEC in office that is on last leg.

Also looking for procedure table.

Any preferences between Ziehm and GE? Vendor suggestions?

Crybaby, we are about to pull the trigger on one, maybe two more c arms. I found this one that we can get a great deal on, around 65k brand new and comes with 5 year warranty. They also guarantee 24 hour on-site service in our area. I know they will do a discount if we buy more than one. Our group has bought 4 new Siemens Selects in the past 3 years, all were 55k but only 1 year warranty. Service contract on those are 10k per year, each so we are looking to go another directio

Anyone seen or used one of these SkanC c-arms? 5 year warranty is hard to beat.

Attachments

• FILE_3967.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 127
Crybaby, we are about to pull the trigger on one, maybe two more c arms. I found this one that we can get a great deal on, around 65k brand new and comes with 5 year warranty. They also guarantee 24 hour on-site service in our area. I know they will do a discount if we buy more than one. Our group has bought 4 new Siemens Selects in the past 3 years, all were 55k but only 1 year warranty. Service contract on those are 10k per year, each so we are looking to go another directio

Anyone seen or used one of these SkanC c-arms? 5 year warranty is hard to beat.
Thanks Gdub,
My time frame is very unknown, I am just gathering info so I can make a well thought out decision. How quick are you guys thinking? Never heard of that brand before- will look into it.

Looking to buy a pair of GE One carms. Pretty reasonable single unit, static tube, around 50k . Looks like the original Zhiems. Anybody have experience with these machines? Can you image 350lbs chunksters, resolution? Any info is appreciated…

A good friend has one, they’re entry level units, not all that powerful, made to compete with other low cost models made by Siemens. I’ve looked hard at them. I really may go for the Scan-C. I’ll be demoing one this Thursday. Comes with a 5 year warranty and that really is a hard thing to pass up. We use our c arms daily and I need something that will either hold up to a lot of use or be fixed quickly/cheaply.

Reactions: 2 users
A good friend has one, they’re entry level units, not all that powerful, made to compete with other low cost models made by Siemens. I’ve looked hard at them. I really may go for the Scan-C. I’ll be demoing one this Thursday. Comes with a 5 year warranty and that really is a hard thing to pass up. We use our c arms daily and I need something that will either hold up to a lot of use or be fixed quickly/cheaply.
Please share what you think about the Scan-C

I think I’m paying 2-3k/year (for 10 yearsish) to insure my Phillips so a 5 year warranty is great