Shoes for Physical Therapists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgt329

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of shoes to get before PT school starts that I can use on a day-to-day basis as well as in the clinic. What do PT's and PT students generally wear? I'm not sure whether to get a running/lifestyle shoe like Nikes or something more dressy like Clarks. I've seen this thread already, but would appreciate more input, specifically for men's shoes

Members don't see this ad.

When I was working in a clinic I had a pair of Nikes that were incredibly comfortable and most of the PTs wore athletic shoes like Nikes or other tennis shoes

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

really depends on your feet but Merrell makes great shoes that can work with jeans or khakis

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For me it depended on the setting. I used Asics for my SNF clinical rotation because we were standing and moving all day long, but then I wore Sperry's for my outpatient to fit in with the other practitioner's. My CIs actually began wearing the no sole shoes and TOMS because they said they were better of your feet, but I'm not one to try that myself.

I don't think there is really such a thing as a best PT shoe to be completely honest... or a *best* anything shoe for that matter.
Do you have high arches? Low arches? Wide feet? Skinny feet? Do you prefer a minimalist sole or do you want something big and foamy?

Narrow down what specifics you prefer in footwear for long periods of standing/walking and go from there. Purchase from a company that has a generous return policy so if you hate them after a couple of months you can give something else a go-round.

Last edited:
I think our profession should be one that looks the part.. therefore under few circumstance should a professional part of a relatively recent doctoring profession wear anything other than a dress shoe (outside of the athletic club, field or gym setting). Go for Cole Haan shoes they have a NIKE sole, dress shoe top and look incredibly professional in all settings.

Adidas Ultraboost are expensive but well worth the money. By far the most comfortable shoe I've worn.

As a PT I've worn pretty much every style of shoe out there. There's no such thing as the best shoe, and you'll want different shoes for different settings. You probably wouldn't wear the same pair with khakis as you would with scrubs. As a student, you'll likely spend most of your time in casual/athletic wear unless your program requires otherwise. Don't overthink it and wear whatever shoes you prefer until you head into clinicals and know the dress code there. There's plenty of other things to throw your money at as you start school.