SGU or UQ-Ochsner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder what OP decided. Personally, now with NY residency approval I would go with UQ Ochsner but I'm biased. But I also don't think you can be super wedded to a speciality and location in this climate like OP is being. Although NY is very IMG friendly. Plenty of EM matches in our latest match from UQ-O this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last post was in April of this year. Not sure how this is considered "reviving an old thread", and I didn't say it was easy to do internship in Aus I said you can. Obviously going to work in a country other than your own is not going to be for the faint of heart

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
In the sense that it was last responded to 3 months ago, it was originally posted even longer (as in over a year) and no detractors have responded for the same length. I'm saying the only people responding are all in agreement. Its kind of a deadhorse - this thread.

Not the topic. You could easily start a new one informing others of the changes if you wanted.

But I would advise against leaving a standalone statement like that on impressionable premeds: "you can get internship in Australia". If you're going to throw that out there, at least clarify the risks as they do exist. If they didnt no one would be concerned. Not saying you're not allowed to because it is the Internet. But people like me will respond, out of care for premeds. Nothing personal.

To add, while it's obvious to some (it should be obvious to all) what the challenges are to going overseas for a degree, it's not to everyone. There's plenty who claim they were naive or duped, didn't do their research, stating they only heard what the medical schools and their recruitment agencies had to say. It creates a toxic environment later, among individuals who feel entitled and 'cheated' or just have a constant axe to grind because medical school abroad wasn't what they thought it would be. I've had enough of that frankly, personally anyway. I'd rather people go into streams like this informed as much as they can.

Previously, most internationals who aspired to stay in Australia only worried about getting internship as if all their problems would be more easily solved afterwards, or things would fall into place after that one initial hurdle. too many med students on that outlook didn't even know what a 'registrar' is. that's rather frightening considering the system they are going to be graduating into if they choose to remain in Australia. It's okay to have this outlook, if you're flexible about what you want to do in medicine. But not everyone has the capacity to go with the flow that easily.

To clarify further, there's always 'extra' spots remaining after domestic Australians in Queensland match. But they're always in Rural hospitals, maybe the private ones if lucky but you have to bite the bullet and let them send you to their remote affiliated hospitals for at least a rotation if not all of them. Which is not everyone's cup of tea, and it's unpredictable how easily you can move to a city hospital afterwards. Even if you could, no one will know you at a city one, and you may not get rotations you want or the training you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users