SGU OR SABA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sometimes the lesson needs to be learned the hard way. truly a tragedy that could have been averted had OP been serious about pursuing medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Go to SGU. I have seen the most docs in the US from there. Idk how much that means but I would go there out of any Carib schools

Reactions: 1 user
Honesty at this point OP has made up her mind. She WILL discover that her lack of decision making skills will cost her a huge sum of money, and possibly a shot at a career as a physician. There's really no use in trying to convince her otherwise, she'll just have to learn on her own. With some GPA work she'd be fine for DO, and even MD because of her URM status. Not our fault OP doesn't want to listen. All I can say is.......good luck OP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok captain obvious. Reading is fundamental like I stated from the very first post I am not interested in comments regarding getting talked out of it especially from he said she said crap. I need real life experiences and stories from individuals who have or embarked on the Caribbean route.
But thanks for everyone's two cents I appreciate it.

Yeah. Your appreciation shows through clearly.
[not]

If you were actually willing to do your own research, you would see that we're giving you perfectly sound and reliable advice. Excuse us if we don't let people with a good shot at US MD / DO shoot themselves in the foot for no reason.

But there are reasons -- An inability to delay gratification and a refusal to do adequate research before embarking on one of the biggest decisions of her life. Classic @Goro reasons why students choose Caribbean schools and why residency programs are wary of accepting Caribbean grads.

This one belongs in the Caribbean --

When we talk about Carib schools, we are putting exceptions on those 4 Puerto Rico schools listed on MSAR?
San Juan Bautista, Ponce, Universidad Central del Caribe, and University of Puerto Rico?
How about them? Are they okay?

They're not Carib. They are LCME accredited US schools.

Ok captain obvious. Reading is fundamental like I stated from the very first post I am not interested in comments regarding getting talked out of it especially from he said she said crap. I need real life experiences and stories from individuals who have or embarked on the Caribbean route.
But thanks for everyone's two cents I appreciate it.

None of this is he said/she said. These are facts. You will have an extremely rough time at any Carib school, and if you are lucky enough to graduate, you have a much lower chance of matching and almost zero chance of matching in a competitive residency or program.

You have a damn good shot at getting into a US school, especially DO. You're telling me that you can't wait a year to go to a real med school and have the career you want (vice the one you're forced into)?

But you seem to have made up your mind already, and if that's true, I'm sorry in advance for what you're going to experience. You have had many people here warn you against it. Heed that warning or not.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah. Your appreciation shows through clearly.
[not]

But there are reasons -- An inability to delay gratification and a refusal to do adequate research before embarking on one of the biggest decisions of her life. Classic @Goro reasons why students choose Caribbean schools and why residency programs are wary of accepting Caribbean grads.

This one belongs in the Caribbean --

To paraphrase another SDN'er, "you are free to board the train to crazytown, but nobody can give you advice on how to do that."

Reactions: 2 users
You have made up your mind. I PM you and told you about my experiences in SGU. In the US, you will become a doctor and practice but in the Caribbean, you have 50% chance of becoming a doctor and even less than 25% chance of practicing. For your information, we had classmates and faculty die every freaking semester out there on the Island. I don't know why but every freaking semester someone dies and that could be you dying over there.
lol okay. Thanks #depressionisreal

Members don't see this ad :)
Depression? You are very stupid if you think I am depressed. Few years down the road we will see who will be depressed

Don't waste your time. She has all the facts. Everyone gave her factual information on why it is a terrible idea, and you gave her first hand experience about it--which is all she supposedly wanted--and still blew it off. She is going down there regardless. She just wanted to hear us tell her it was a good idea (or at least not a terrible one).

There are thousands of Caribbean graduates who are working as research assistants. When I was in SGU, all the TA's we had were graduates from the school who didn't match despite good step scores. There are literally over 100 of them.

Don't waste your time. She has all the facts. Everyone gave her factual information on why it is a terrible idea, and you gave her first hand experience about it--which is all she supposedly wanted--and still blew it off. She is going down there regardless. She just wanted to hear us tell her it was a good idea (or at least not a terrible one).
Sadly I was advised here not to go. When I went and sat in the same lecture hall with 1000 students I realized my mistake. Thank God I withdrew before accumulating lots of debts.

SGU... 700 students / semester... there are 2 semesters... 1400 students / year... 1 match / year, right?... Their match lists have ~800 students/year... So out of the 1400 that start each year 800 match... into a residency... that should give anyone pause

Hi

I need help deciding which option is better in obtaining residency precisely in IM subspecialty in cardiology.
A little brief background about myself-- I am a 24 yr old African American female from Nigeria living in NY.
GPA- 3.24
MCAT Score- 502
No I don't plan on applying to US medical schools or DO because I missed last year application cycle to get in this year (I was originally going for PA switched path 3 months to my graduation last year) so I started studying for the MCAT and took it in September 2016. I don't plan on just waiting around to apply this cycle in the hopes to start next year 2018.
So I just applied to SGU based on the reviews i have been getting from SGU Students and working in one of the largest hospital (NorthWell) on Long Island NY they get a decent amount of SGU student in their residence program and actually do hire a decent amount of SGU grads and a few ROSS and SABA doctors.
I just don't want to fully rely on SGU so if anyone who can share their own personal experience or thoughts I truly will appreciate it.
P.S If you plan on talking me out of Caribbean medical school please keep your comment to yourself. I am fully aware of the pro's and cons on applying there. Thanks.
You're better off applying DO, as DOs had an 88% match rate into ACGME IM last year. Failing to make the prudent decision, SGU is the better choice of the two.

I should preface that -- the most influential doc in my life went to Saba, and they are the chief of emergency of a large hospital now. The second graduated from SGU and is also chief of emergency of a hospital. They're the best physicians I've ever seen/worked with, and on top of that phenomenal individuals who I respect, admire and will always look up to.

However, they graduated a generation ago, the same time when a B/B+ from an Ivy could get you into Duke with an average MCAT. Times have changed, these schools have changed hands, and the reality should make anyone take a second and third look.

I applied Caribbean, decided not to go because of these stats when I took a moment to look at the reality as it is TODAY.

How is that reasoned approach to informing people about the risks of the carribean working out?

I'm typing from my phone, so please ignore my ugly link. I am one of those "successful" SGU students, and would rarely recommend anyone attending.

You will be ostracized and looked down on for your entire life for a choice you personally are not forced into at this point. I would only recommend the Carib route after 2 unsuccessful do/md application cycles. And only with a strong mcat and test taking ability going in. Those of my friends that were successful well are those who partied too hard in college and never applied themselves.

If you have ever thought to yourself that you are a bad test taker, do not go to Carib. One failed test and your 200k plus in debt and your medical career is done.

If you want to match into any specific location or any specific specialty, do not consider the Carib.

If you ever thought to yourself the mcat is so hard but you'll be successful in medical school, you are delusional.

If you have any specific questions I will try to help, I also linked my first thread which detailed my sgu experience. Good luck!

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...arib-ask-me-why-you-should-stay-away.1199038/

If you were actually willing to do your own research, you would see that we're giving you perfectly sound and reliable advice. Excuse us if we don't let people with a good shot at US MD / DO shoot themselves in the foot for no reason.

If you use the search function on this forum and type in "Caribbean" you will get loads of threads, several of them with many actual Carib students and grads who will give you the honest truth. Try to stick to the ones from 2014 onwards because a lot has changed since the early 2000's.

I'm going to tag @Mikkus -- a current resident who always offers honest advice in the allo forums with regards to the Carib route.

Reactions: 12 users
You really should have just posted this thread in the Caribbean forum. Noone in the pre-allo pre-osteo wants to give you any advice other than what they already gave you (which is to not go).

I was thinking of going to SGU myself since my brother graduated from there and is currently a practicing doc, but SDN put the last nail in that coffin for me. The Carib ain't what it used to be, and will continue to get harder and harder until **poof** no more residencies

How is that reasoned approach to informing people about the risks of the carribean working out?

It seems like some people just genuinely want to know, and after seeing the facts are appropriately turned off by them. Then there are people like the OP who don't want the facts. They have made up their minds already and just want to hear what they want to hear. Can't reason with that.

Hi

I need help deciding which option is better in obtaining residency precisely in IM subspecialty in cardiology.
A little brief background about myself-- I am a 24 yr old African American female from Nigeria living in NY.
GPA- 3.24
MCAT Score- 502
No I don't plan on applying to US medical schools or DO because I missed last year application cycle to get in this year (I was originally going for PA switched path 3 months to my graduation last year) so I started studying for the MCAT and took it in September 2016. I don't plan on just waiting around to apply this cycle in the hopes to start next year 2018.
So I just applied to SGU based on the reviews i have been getting from SGU Students and working in one of the largest hospital (NorthWell) on Long Island NY they get a decent amount of SGU student in their residence program and actually do hire a decent amount of SGU grads and a few ROSS and SABA doctors.
I just don't want to fully rely on SGU so if anyone who can share their own personal experience or thoughts I truly will appreciate it.
P.S If you plan on talking me out of Caribbean medical school please keep your comment to yourself. I am fully aware of the pro's and cons on applying there. Thanks.
Don't do it! Am more than ten years older than you, and will be starting medical school this year. Reapply next cycle. With your stats I can assure you that you will be accepted to MD or DO school here in the US. Much better outcome for your future and career. Keep this in mind, one year delay may seem like a lot to you now, but consider the fact that it my take you up to 5 years to graduate from a Caribbean med school due to delays in clinical rotations. Furthermore, most residency programs (especially for a competitive subspecialty such as cardiology) do not consider IMGs, period. Nothing is impossible, but the odds would be against you with a Caribbean MD. Times have changed. It is not like the old days when it did not matter much were you graduated from. There are lots of Nigerian Cardiologist out there. Reach out to one of them for advice. You have a bright future ahead of you. One bad mistake due to impatience can ruin it for you. Everybody here is saying pretty much the same thing. Is it possible that they are all wrong? Enough said.

Last edited:
Hi

GPA- 3.24
MCAT Score- 502

Don't do it! I am Nigerian American like yourself. Yes you may be smart, and the incentives like rotation in the UK, and meeting with colleagues from all over the world not just the usa might sound tantalizing! but why make it harder on yourself? especially when you can get in with those stats? Retake that mcat 510+, save some money, travel around the world and start the following year! pm me for advice.
Only go if you have exhausted 2-3 application cycles, and taken some special postbacc to increase your stats and prepare you for medical school, that is taking classes with anything medical, biochemistry, physiology etc.

omo Kilonshele ni sha?

When we talk about Carib schools, we are putting exceptions on those 4 Puerto Rico schools listed on MSAR?
San Juan Bautista, Ponce, Universidad Central del Caribe, and University of Puerto Rico?
How about them? Are they okay?
They are not Carib schools.. my god.

I recommend SGU. I've known quite a few good people do very successful in spite of what you read here.
I think matching medicine is not an unrealistic dream.

I would stay far away from DO though, any sort of MD/MBBS puts you in a stronger position than DO.

This is not a risk any student should contemplate off shore until doing at least 2 full application cycles with at least 1 cycle break inbetween at both MD and DO.

Or ever. Like seriously. It is better to not be a doctor than to go down there and still not be a doctor, but with 200k in debt.

no I wont completely write them
off. They do produce doctors, though I would suggest students consider podiatry as well

If you can't get into a USMD/DO, what are the chances that you're a caliber of student that can make it through and match? Probably pretty low, since the actual graduation and match rate is below 50%. Not worth the risk to me. Podiatry, PA school, something else completely. Just my opinion though.

It's been answered? Please elaborate.

Maybe read the thread. Also there are these little things called dates in the bottom left of each post so you can see when it was posted, I highly suggest learning how to use them.

I recommend SGU. I've known quite a few good people do very successful in spite of what you read here.

I would stay far away from DO though, any sort of MD/MBBS puts you in a stronger position than DO.

Absolutely misinformed. Please do not spread this information without first looking up data.

Maybe read the thread. Also there are these little things called dates in the bottom left of each post so you can see when it was posted, I highly suggest learning how to use them.
I'll pray for you tonight. I hope you find happiness in your life.

It's been answered? Please elaborate.
I'll pray for you tonight. I hope you find happiness in your life.

images

Reactions: 13 users
@jenniferdamit instead of just disparaging the caribbean schools (even though these criticisms are well deserved), I would simply encourage you to try a DO cycle this next year. You have a decent shot to be a medical student in the US, where your career will have a chance to thrive. If you don't get a spot in the US, then what have you lost? The carib schools will still be there waiting for you. If you do get in though, you are a HUGE step ahead! On the other hand if you go to the carib right away, you may be potentially shackling yourself to a career or massive amount of debt you can't handle. This isn't a decision you want to make in a hurry. Take some time, think about it, and seek the advice of those who know more than you (not just SDN). Hope you make a decision that you can look back on and be happy with ten years hence. Good luck!

If the Caribbean medical schools are so risky as everyone has stated, how are they able to award an M.D.? Isn't there an accrediting body for medical education, like lcme or something? Why doesn't somebody do something?

No, I have would have to disagree nor would I advise all applicants to consider them when all else fails. First of, a large number of students do make it thru and match and practice medicine. The big 4 alone produce over 2000 IMG US citizen matches a year, so clearly people do make it. Those consistently mediocre students that should never have considered medical school in the first place are the ones that the off shore schools really prey upon. But other situations and students may, in fact, may find success there. Those who really screwed up original UG and even with well-done postbacc and SMP still cant over come their original record who may have now spent 2 or more years retrying in US schools and show the commitment, it may be an unreasonable choice. Also those solid but unspectacular 3.4-3.5 students who just cant catch a break in the regular cycle. Remember how competitive it is for those and they may simply have lost out. So for most students I wouldnt advise it. For some who I see who have worked hard, who show commitment, but overcome earlier hurdles, it may still be viable. I would imagine 8 out of 10 "low end" students who aske me for help, I simply wouldnt suggest it. For that other 1 or 2, whom I have worked with on a US cycle, I may see them being mature enough and motivated enough and aware enough of the reality to suggest it.

Makes sense!

If the Caribbean medical schools are so risky as everyone has stated, how are they able to award an M.D.? Isn't there an accrediting body for medical education, like lcme or something? Why doesn't somebody do something?
lol.
They do not have American Accreditation, the do not have LCME accreditation or AOA accreditation .

Reactions: 4 users

All the best in your DO career

images

Reactions: 8 users

They are not accredited by the same body (LCME) as US MD schools. They are foreign schools after all.

What is this guy smoking