SGU OR SABA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenniferdamit

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I need help deciding which option is better in obtaining residency precisely in IM subspecialty in cardiology.
A little brief background about myself-- I am a 24 yr old African American female from Nigeria living in NY.
GPA- 3.24
MCAT Score- 502
No I don't plan on applying to US medical schools or DO because I missed last year application cycle to get in this year (I was originally going for PA switched path 3 months to my graduation last year) so I started studying for the MCAT and took it in September 2016. I don't plan on just waiting around to apply this cycle in the hopes to start next year 2018.
So I just applied to SGU based on the reviews i have been getting from SGU Students and working in one of the largest hospital (NorthWell) on Long Island NY they get a decent amount of SGU student in their residence program and actually do hire a decent amount of SGU grads and a few ROSS and SABA doctors.
I just don't want to fully rely on SGU so if anyone who can share their own personal experience or thoughts I truly will appreciate it.
P.S If you plan on talking me out of Caribbean medical school please keep your comment to yourself. I am fully aware of the pro's and cons on applying there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi

I need help deciding which option is better in obtaining residency precisely in IM subspecialty in cardiology.
A little brief background about myself-- I am a 24 yr old African American female from Nigeria living in NY.
GPA- 3.24
MCAT Score- 502
No I don't plan on applying to US medical schools or DO because I missed last year application cycle to get in this year (I was originally going for PA switched path 3 months to my graduation last year) so I started studying for the MCAT and took it in September 2016. I don't plan on just waiting around to apply this cycle in the hopes to start next year 2018.
So I just applied to SGU based on the reviews i have been getting from SGU Students and working in one of the largest hospital (NorthWell) on Long Island NY they get a decent amount of SGU student in their residence program and actually do hire a decent amount of SGU grads and a few ROSS and SABA doctors.
I just don't want to fully rely on SGU so if anyone who can share their own personal experience or thoughts I truly will appreciate it.
P.S If you plan on talking me out of Caribbean medical school please keep your comment to yourself. I am fully aware of the pro's and cons on applying there. Thanks.

not aware enough apparently. The type of person that gets a 3.2 and a 502 and isn't willing to apply US MD or DO first doesnt do well in the Carib. Going to Carib could potentially ruin your finances for the rest of your life and leave you with no career to show for it.

/thread

edit: I'll try to be slightly more helpful. AA applicants with your stats -- provided you have checked the rest of your boxes in terms of clinical experience, volunteering etc -- has a 40-50% chance of being accepted to USMD. Your chances are best at HBCUs and your state schools. If you retake the MCAT and score 508+ you would have a 70+% chance of acceptance, historically. Work on retaking the MCAT for a better score while getting more clinical experience (maybe scribe if you need to make rent) and apply next cycle for entrance in 2018. Do well and you will have a good shot. Any DO or MD school in the US will leave the door into cardiology wide open, and the path into that career will be much straighter, easier, faster, cheaper, and more comfortable by staying in the US.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

Or you can follow through with your plan and throw a perfectly good shot (and 200k+) away, your chocie.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 users

These bolded points don't line up. You will get no support in going to the Carib here, especially with a 3.24/502 as an AA female. Your impatience could potentially cost you 400k of debt. All you have to do is be patient and your dreams of becoming a cardiologist are much more realistic.

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are slightly (greatly) misinformed.

You can't ask for advice regarding Caribbean schools and not be prone to backlash.

EDIT: Probably a better job outlook for DO cardiologists than MD counterparts from the Carib just FYI.

Reactions: 4 users
Neither.
No I don't plan on applying to US medical schools or DO because I missed last year application cycle to get in this year
I don't plan on just waiting around to apply this cycle in the hopes to start next year 2018.

You're 24 and you can't wait another year? Why is it so critical for you to get in now(into a bad deal) as opposed to attempt to get in somewhere(U.S DO/MD) that will yield FAR better results?

That's such a waste. The average entering med student nowadays is 24/25 years old-- don't throw away your life!

Reactions: 7 users
I remember when I was young and immature and thought that patience was less of a virtue and more of an obstacle I could skate around. But I've learned that medicine isn't a game for the impatient. Between four years of undergrad plus four years of med school and three to seven years of residency plus or minus fellowship, followed by a career of learning, there just aren't any short cuts to this process. The roads that seem like short cuts are almost always just dead ends. Once in a while, someone slips through back to the main road, but they are few and far between. Most people end up far from where they want to be with more miles on the engine and less fuel in the tank.

Don't be one of those people. With some patience and planning you could get into a US med school and accomplish your goals.

Reactions: 15 users
Wow. If you could show a little bit of patience (you are only 24!! Im 27 - start med in the fall).

With your MCAT and GPA, along with URM status, I believe you will get acceptances.

Just know this is an incredibly irresponsible decision, and only because you can't delay.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Hi

GPA- 3.24
MCAT Score- 502

if you are serious about pursuing medicine and becoming a physician in the US, you should apply to and matriculate at a US medical school. as it stands now, you are competitive for DO schools and some MD schools. there is no reason to be impatient, and applying hastily and without thought will only lead to disastrous long-term outcomes.

Reactions: 9 users
Hi

GPA- 3.24
MCAT Score- 502
This is a silly reason. There's always next year to apply. Listen to the advice of other SDN users.

Additionally, it's not like we're here to trash the caribbean schools. I and others genuinely care about giving good advice and as it currently stands, telling someone to go to the caribbean (especially one who is interested in cardiology) is bad advice.

Hopefully you make the right call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but undergrad was way longer back then.
Let's see. If we're to assume that the process is proportional (time wise), then we can conclude that 969 years = 122 years (oldest person in modern history).

Therefore x/969 = 4/122

Undergrad = 31.7 years

Had he gone to medical school, he may have spent 3.5+ years studying for the MCAT...

Reactions: 1 user
Neither.

You're 24 and you can't wait another year? Why is it so critical for you to get in now(into a bad deal) as opposed to attempt to get in somewhere(U.S DO/MD) that will yield FAR better results?

That's such a waste. The average entering med student nowadays is 24/25 years old-- don't throw away your life!
I was going to comment the same thing.

Let's see. If we're to assume that the process is proportional (time wise), then we can conclude that 969 years = 122 years (oldest person in modern history).

Therefore x/969 = 4/122

Undergrad = 31.7 years

Had he gone to medical school, he may have spent 3.5+ years studying for the MCAT...

I was going to reply with a really nerdy post, but I don't want to derail anymore lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm Black American female I would say just wait until next cycle to apply. You need to apply 3 times before you even consider carribean school. You have about a 50% to 60% chance of getting into a schools in the US (considering you are a US citizen) medical school is not something you rush. You can use the gap year to strengthen your application.

Reactions: 5 users
Currently an M1 working on a project under the guidance of a mentor....2 Carribean medical grads are working on the project as well.....as research assistants.

That is all.

Reactions: 21 users
I know I'm just adding on but the reasoning is just a bit much. Everyone's situation is different but your age should be the last reason for choosing the Caribbean. I'm 31 now and it was hard for me to put off applying this last cycle but I know it was for the best. I'll be close to 33 when I start if everything goes well but there will be many older than me. Don't risk really hurting yourself in life because of impatience.

Reactions: 6 users
If you go Caribbean, you would START your medical education earlier, but odds are great that you would FINISH later and not get the career path you want at all. Many Caribbean grads take more than 4 years to finish due to the relative scarcity of rotation slots and school-enforced testing delays.

Just a few extra weeks puts you off-cycle and could cost you a whole year waiting for the next residency match. Not to mention what happens if you fail to match first cycle; your odds plummet further year 2, 3 and beyond. As you know, matching at all is becoming much more difficult for IMGs and matching into in IM program good enough to get you a cardiology fellowship later on -- NOT good odds.

Plus - as you have acknowledged - your options for finding a residency program are somewhat limited as an IMG. Sure - you might be perfectly satisfied with the hospitals you've already seen that do accept IMGs. But wouldn't it be more prudent to open the doors to EVERY US hospital? In every US city?

You've got a decent shot at a US MD or DO school. Don't waste it!

Reactions: 2 users
SGU has more resources, is more established, and pumps out more doctors at the end of the day.

I dont recommend it though.. Neither does anyone else here. I would reflect and make sure you actually want to be a doctor..

SGU: just had a $750 million dollar investment from a hedge fund, after a $250 million special dividend to the founders. The school is now valued at more than a billion (that's billion with "b") for sale. All that money made off of incoming students
https://www.law360.com/articles/565465/altas-baring-to-plow-750m-into-for-profit-med-school
http://www.reuters.com/article/stgeorgesuniversity-sale-idUSL6N0CAFEF20130318

Saba: Founders were accused of fraud and not reporting income to IRS after selling the school to Prairie Capital. The founding husband absconded with some $20 million and is still a fugitive while he left his wife to be convicted in federal court.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...school-founder-guilty-at-florida-tax-trial-1-

BTW, Prairie Capital also purchased MUA and St. Matthews forming R3 Education as investment vehicle. You can put money into this fund that also includes a metal fabricator and a wireless company.
http://www.prairie-capital.com/fundinvestments/

Ross and AUC are owned by DeVry Medical International, a wholly owned subsidiary Of DeVry Inc, a publicly traded company

And these are the "good" schools
Wow, as if anyone needed more reasons to not go Caribbean!

Let's clarify this:

SGU pumps out more graduates, but they don't necessarily become doctors.

SGU has more resources, is more established, and pumps out more doctors at the end of the day.

I dont recommend it though.. Neither does anyone else here. I would reflect and make sure you actually want to be a doctor..

SGU: just had a $750 million dollar investment from a hedge fund, after a $250 million special dividend to the founders. The school is now valued at more than a billion (that's billion with "b") for sale. All that money made off of incoming students
https://www.law360.com/articles/565465/altas-baring-to-plow-750m-into-for-profit-med-school
http://www.reuters.com/article/stgeorgesuniversity-sale-idUSL6N0CAFEF20130318

Saba: Founders were accused of fraud and not reporting income to IRS after selling the school to Prairie Capital. The founding husband absconded with some $20 million and is still a fugitive while he left his wife to be convicted in federal court.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...school-founder-guilty-at-florida-tax-trial-1-

BTW, Prairie Capital also purchased MUA and St. Matthews forming R3 Education as investment vehicle. You can put money into this fund that also includes a metal fabricator and a wireless company.
http://www.prairie-capital.com/fundinvestments/

Ross and AUC are owned by DeVry Medical International, a wholly owned subsidiary Of DeVry Inc, a publicly traded company

And these are the "good" schools
Wow, as if anyone needed more reasons to not go Caribbean!

I dont know if the fact that these schools are profitable is enough of an indictment in itself. If you go to any college campus in the united states and look at their books you will see an incredible amount of waste in the form of extravagant buildings, sports fields, administrator salaries,etc etc. College tuition increases over the past two decades display this issue. The matching percentage and attrition rates are really the most damning facts about these schools.

I dont know if the fact that these schools are profitable is enough of an indictment in itself. If you go to any college campus in the united states and look at their books you will see an incredible amount of waste in the form of extravagant buildings, sports fields, administrator salaries,etc etc. College tuition increases over the past two decades display this issue. The matching percentage and attrition rates are really the most damning facts about these schools.

Harvard has an endowment equal to the GDP of a small country and im sure there is a lot of admin bloat and BS spending like there is at any institution of higher ed. The fact that the finances of the Carib schools are so seedy and shady is damning not because they are profitable, but because combined with the fact that they have really very little to offer their students they basically constitute a massive scam. The uhhh questionable character and motivation of their owners just furthers the argument that the schools don't give a crap about their students. My school's football coach makes way too much money and half of the admin could be cut tomorrow and the school would be just as good but I have no doubt that they at least have their students interests in mind.

Harvard has an endowment equal to the GDP of a small country and im sure there is a lot of admin bloat and BS spending like there is at any institution of higher ed. The fact that the finances of the Carib schools are so seedy and shady is damning not because they are profitable, but because combined with the fact that they have really very little to offer their students they basically constitute a massive scam. The uhhh questionable character and motivation of their owners just furthers the argument that the schools don't give a crap about their students. My school's football coach makes way too much money and half of the admin could be cut tomorrow and the school would be just as good but I have no doubt that they at least have their students interests in mind.
Schools with large endowments are a different beast. Stanford just did something to make tuition free for its future students . That being said look at most schools even with decent endowments. If they had their students best interest in mind they wouldn't be increasing tuition at the rate they have been, gutting tenure for professors and rely upon adjuncts to teach their undergrads.
college-tuition11-12.jpg

Adjusted for inflation tutition has grown quicker then medical care! It is an unsustainablr increase. If they truly had their students best interest at heart they wouldn't be saddling them with massive amounts of debt just as they were starting out.

Schools with large endowments are a different beast. Stanford just did something to make tuition free for its future students . That being said look at most schools even with decent endowments. If they had their students best interest in mind they wouldn't be increasing tuition at the rate they have been, gutting tenure for professors and rely upon adjuncts to teach their undergrads.
college-tuition11-12.jpg

Adjusted for inflation tutition has grown quicker then medical care! It is an unsustainablr increase. If they truly had their students best interest at heart they wouldn't be saddling them with massive amounts of debt just as they were starting out.

Yah that's true but this is for a whole slew of factors other than the character of the administration.

college-tuition11-12.jpg

It doesn't help that student debt is treated like criminal debt.

Hi

GPA- 3.24
MCAT Score- 502

You are making a mistake. 1 year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You are looking at 4 yrs (at least) of medical school, 3 years of IM, and 3 years of Cards. That is a 10 year venture, and you're risking it all for 1 yr.

Also, keep in mind virtually everyone I know that went to SGU (and these are the successful ones that matched - all community IM - not the ones that drop out or fail out) actually took 5 years from their start to the start of residency. You aren't saving time going to the big 4, you are just handicapping yourself.

You will almost certainly get into a US school (MD or DO), and you will absolutely have a better shot at university IM and eventually Cardiology coming from a US school then a Carib school, even SGU. Its 1 year. Get a job as a lab tech, relax a bit, and save some money before you embark on the quite literally, neverending path of medicine.

SGU will always be around. They will gladly take their $60k/yr of tuition from you anytime you want.

You are making a mistake. 1 year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You are looking at 4 yrs (at least) of medical school, 3 years of IM, and 3 years of Cards. That is a 10 year venture, and you're risking it all for 1 yr.

Also, keep in mind virtually everyone I know that went to SGU (and these are the successful ones that matched - all community IM - not the ones that drop out or fail out) actually took 5 years from their start to the start of residency. You aren't saving time going to the big 4, you are just handicapping yourself.

You will almost certainly get into a US school (MD or DO), and you will absolutely have a better shot at university IM and eventually Cardiology coming from a US school then a Carib school, even SGU. Its 1 year. Get a job as a lab tech, relax a bit, and save some money before you embark on the quite literally, neverending path of medicine.

SGU will always be around. They will gladly take their $60k/yr of tuition from you anytime you want.

It's been almost 2 weeks and no return from the OP. I'm guessing this wasn't what she wanted to hear and bailed.

It's been almost 2 weeks and no return from the OP. I'm guessing this wasn't what she wanted to hear and bailed.
Ok captain obvious. Reading is fundamental like I stated from the very first post I am not interested in comments regarding getting talked out of it especially from he said she said crap. I need real life experiences and stories from individuals who have or embarked on the Caribbean route.
But thanks for everyone's two cents I appreciate it.

Ok captain obvious. Reading is fundamental like I stated from the very first post I am not interested in comments regarding getting talked out of it especially from he said she said crap. I need real life experiences and stories from individuals who have or embarked on the Caribbean route.
It's not he said she said crap. Noone is going to condone your choice since it's a terrible one. You'll have to do it alone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
You have made up your mind. I PM you and told you about my experiences in SGU. In the US, you will become a doctor and practice but in the Caribbean, you have 50% chance of becoming a doctor and even less than 25% chance of practicing. For your information, we had classmates and faculty die every freaking semester out there on the Island. I don't know why but every freaking semester someone dies and that could be you dying over there.

Reactions: 3 users
I need real life experiences and stories from individuals who have or embarked on the Caribbean route.

Honestly, I'm not sure that you'll find many individuals on this forum who've gone to the Caribbean. As you can probably tell, the general reputation of those programs is poor.

Anecdotally, I've known two people that graduated from Big 3 carib schools. One I worked with for a year at a pretty well-known academic hospital. They are now an attending at another top academic hospital on the west coast. It's important to note that they graduated from medical school about 10 years ago at this point. The other I met at a work conference- he was unable to match in the US and was working as a clinical research assistant. He graduated recently (within the last 2-3 years). I think you can be successful from the carib, but the odds are stacked against you and these cases are the exception not the norm. Especially in recent years, with IMG match rates dwindling, outlook is not great and will likely continue to decline.

A lot of carribean students have blogs and vlogs and web pages and you can talk to carribean recruiters on the phone or via email i know cause carribean recruiters came to my undergrad school to give a talk they also have student and alumni recruiters that you can talk to. They will tell you everything that you want to hear but I agree with the other people that commented not a good idea to leave a country known for its medical education and industry to possibly go to school in a third world country where half the population is unemployed and uneducated doesn't make logical sense regardless

You have made up your mind. I PM you and told you about my experiences in SGU. In the US, you will become a doctor and practice but in the Caribbean, you have 50% chance of becoming a doctor and even less than 25% chance of practicing. For your information, we had classmates and faculty die every freaking semester out there on the Island. I don't know why but every freaking semester someone dies and that could be you dying over there.
WTH

If you were actually willing to do your own research, you would see that we're giving you perfectly sound and reliable advice. Excuse us if we don't let people with a good shot at US MD / DO shoot themselves in the foot for no reason.

If you use the search function on this forum and type in "Caribbean" you will get loads of threads, several of them with many actual Carib students and grads who will give you the honest truth. Try to stick to the ones from 2014 onwards because a lot has changed since the early 2000's.

I'm going to tag @Mikkus -- a current resident who always offers honest advice in the allo forums with regards to the Carib route.

When we talk about Carib schools, we are putting exceptions on those 4 Puerto Rico schools listed on MSAR?
San Juan Bautista, Ponce, Universidad Central del Caribe, and University of Puerto Rico?
How about them? Are they okay?

When we talk about Carib schools, we are putting exceptions on those 4 Puerto Rico schools listed on MSAR?
San Juan Bautista, Ponce, Universidad Central del Caribe, and University of Puerto Rico?

Yes Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. and those schools are accredited US MD. We do not consider them part of the "Carib" cohort.

Just be aware that some of those schools require Spanish fluency and some sort of relationship with PR to begin with.

Yes Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. and those schools are accredited US MD. We do not consider them part of the "Carib" cohort.
Just be aware that some of those schools require Spanish fluency and some sort of relationship with PR to begin with.
Nice.
Fluency in Spanish (MSAR says 12 credits of Spanish courses required) + Connections in Puerto Rico = Puerto Rico here I come
Unfortunately, I am lazy and didn't study Spanish up to an intermediate level. Would love to live in Puerto Rico, but I don't have any connections there :D

well sometimes the only way to learn the painful consequences arising from uninformed and hasty decisions is to experience them firsthand. sad to see your decision to attend a shady and illicit medical school that does not care about their students and is only interested in making money by exploiting students' dreams

a61.jpg

Reactions: 13 users