SGU January Class 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurome

it is happening!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I know it is still a bit early in the game but i am so excited about this next phase of our lives. This thread is to provide an avenue for students who have been accepted into the January 2017 entering class at SGUSOM to interact before a Facebook page pops up for us. I have been recently accepted and I look forward to meeting all my fellow classmates. Fire away!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
So I'm not an SGU student but I'm curious how this split between August/January happens. If you start August 2017 for the Class of 2021, what do you the extra semester?

Hi!
I am applying for SGU January class as well!
Can you share your GPA/MCAT/extra circulars?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm not an SGU student but I'm curious how this split between August/January happens. If you start August 2017 for the Class of 2021, what do you the extra semester?

It's not so much a "split" in the classes really, they're treated as entirely different entities on different schedules depending on which class they were accepted into. Its usually referred to as "rolling admissions." The August class follows the typical US medical school timeline, finishing MS2 in May and taking Step 1 more-or-less immediately. The January class finishes MS2 in December, which leaves them between 3-5 months of "filler" time. Many students use this time to study extra for Step 1, or to do research, or to just do nothing. A few clinical sites will let you begin rotations earlier if you have taken Step 1, but for the most part it ends up being wasted time for most students.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!
I am applying for SGU January class as well!
Can you share your GPA/MCAT/extra circulars?
Thanks

So here are my details
Major: Biology
cgpa: 3.4
sgpa: 3.6
old MCAT : 23
EC'S: Lots of volunteer experiences in various hospital settings spanning 8 years, the longest was in the E.R. 3 shadow experiences 2 M.D'S, 1 D.O , college athlete ( Tennis).

Good luck, I hope you get in and I get to meet you in January.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,
I know it is still a bit early in the game but i am so excited about this next phase of our lives. This thread is to provide an avenue for students who have been accepted into the January 2017 entering class at SGUSOM to interact before a Facebook page pops up for us. I have been recently accepted and I look forward to meeting all my fellow classmates. Fire away!!

Hello, how long after your application submission were you invited to an interview. Additionally, how long after the interview, were you granted acceptance.

Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, how long after your application submission were you invited to an interview. Additionally, how long after the interview, were you granted acceptance.

Thank you
Hi Robynee, After my application submission i was invited for an interview in about 2 months. and was accepted 3 days after my interview. I interviewed on a Friday and got the acceptance call the that Monday it just so happened to be the Monday the board was supposed to meet.

Last edited:
So here are my details
Major: Biology
cgpa: 3.4
sgpa: 3.6
old MCAT : 23
EC'S: Lots of volunteer experiences in various hospital settings spanning 8 years, the longest was in the E.R. 3 shadow experiences 2 M.D'S, 1 D.O , college athlete ( Tennis).

Good luck, I hope you get in and I get to meet you in January.

I was also just accepted to the Jan. '17 class! I am also a previous college athlete (volleyball).
Is anyone on this page thinking about going to the new student meet and greet stuff the university offers?

Got accepted a few weeks ago to Jan 17. I'm pretty sure I will attend the NYC session on the 13th.

Has anyone spotted a Facebook group, by chance? (edit: nvm found it!)

Excited to meet everyone, check out Grenada, and hit the grind.

Last edited:
Nice! Yeah, I'm applying for the August 17 Class as of right now.

Welcome to the SGU Community.

I've just finished my first term through the KBT program in England. We actually took our last final for the term yesterday and final grades were released today -- got an A! If you have any questions about academics, social life (or lack thereof) or anything else that I can help with, let me know. I'll be in England for another term, so I look forward to meeting anyone attending the KBT program this spring!

Oh, and I'm sure that you all know by now, but the incoming 2017 Spring class will be the second class in transition to systems based rather than traditional learning, so things may be a little different than what you have read from other sources. You'll start with ftm (your traditional biochem, histology...foundational stuff), followed by a module of anatomy, followed by cardiac-pulmonary-renal. I wish everyone the best of luck and look forward to meeting some new faces.

How is the KBT program in England? Is it worth doing? What made you want to do your 1st year there?

It's actually quite advantageous, I'd say. For one, the class size tends to be quite a bit smaller. My class size was around 80-90 for the fall, with significantly less for the entering spring class. Compare this to the Grenada campus, which has several times those numbers. We also have quite a bit of time with our professors. Between our various classes for the day, we can generally go up to the front of the room and the professor takes questions. In small groups, we actually interact a lot with our professors as well and we're not overly reliant on our clinical tutors, though they still play a large role. It's pretty rare that something goes unanswered if you really push for it, though I can't really speak about the Grenada aspect of things. Professors are also easily accessible outside of class hours as well in England.

Another factor that you want to keep in mind is location. Yes, the weather sucks in England. But, you'll probably be stuck studying the whole time anyways. There will definitely be times where you want "home" food or have some sort of issue arise. In those cases, living in England is pretty nice and our new housing for the KBT program is particular good because we live on top of a Tesco's! It's basically a 24/6 days a week Costco mixed with a Walmart. I'd imagine it's a bit easier learning to adjust to England than it is learning to adjust to Grenada, though your mileage with that may vary.

When I applied, I initially applied to the KBT program because of the smaller class sizes. SGU actually flies students out to tour either one and I ended up going to Grenada for my tour. My experience there didn't go so well and I wasn't too much of a fan of the island. So when it came to actually committing, it was hands down England for me. In retrospect, things in medical school so far have gotten pretty stale already. I can't imagine staying in one place too long without going sort of crazy. :poke:

Not bad! I was thinking about applying for it. I'm fine with staying on the island though but getting to travel to England seems like quite a change.

It's actually quite advantageous, I'd say. For one, the class size tends to be quite a bit smaller. My class size was around 80-90 for the fall, with significantly less for the entering spring class. Compare this to the Grenada campus, which has several times those numbers. We also have quite a bit of time with our professors. Between our various classes for the day, we can generally go up to the front of the room and the professor takes questions. In small groups, we actually interact a lot with our professors as well and we're not overly reliant on our clinical tutors, though they still play a large role. It's pretty rare that something goes unanswered if you really push for it, though I can't really speak about the Grenada aspect of things. Professors are also easily accessible outside of class hours as well in England.

Another factor that you want to keep in mind is location. Yes, the weather sucks in England. But, you'll probably be stuck studying the whole time anyways. There will definitely be times where you want "home" food or have some sort of issue arise. In those cases, living in England is pretty nice and our new housing for the KBT program is particular good because we live on top of a Tesco's! It's basically a 24/6 days a week Costco mixed with a Walmart. I'd imagine it's a bit easier learning to adjust to England than it is learning to adjust to Grenada, though your mileage with that may vary.

When I applied, I initially applied to the KBT program because of the smaller class sizes. SGU actually flies students out to tour either one and I ended up going to Grenada for my tour. My experience there didn't go so well and I wasn't too much of a fan of the island. So when it came to actually committing, it was hands down England for me. In retrospect, things in medical school so far have gotten pretty stale already. I can't imagine staying in one place too long without going sort of crazy. :poke:

so, do you think the program in England is better? btw where in UK it is done? and you do you clinical years in the US correct?

I was also just accepted to the Jan. '17 class! I am also a previous college athlete (volleyball).
Is anyone on this page thinking about going to the new student meet and greet stuff the university offers?

Hey guys, were you asked to pay a deposit ? and if so, what time span were you given to pay it from the acceptance date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all. I am applying for SGU august 2017 class. For those who are starting or already started this semester, how late did you submit you applications? I want to begin in August, but probably won't have all my materials in until July. I take MCAT in May.

Hi there. Unfortunately, Jan 2017 is my third time taking Term 1. Good luck on the upcoming exam!

why are you taking it third time? care to elaborate?
Took leave of absence twice coz I was poorly prepared to take the finals. I chose to take the first LOA, but was recommended by the Dean to take it the second time.

Good luck guys! Im just finishing at SGU and starting residency in July. Feels like yesterday I was starting. Work hard from the start and good things will follow. Feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck guys! Im just finishing at SGU and starting residency in July. Feels like yesterday I was starting. Work hard from the start and good things will follow. Feel free to ask any questions.

Congrads, do you mind sharing what did you match in?

Good for you, Congrads.. did you find any bias against Carrib students?

Thank you! Well the bias is built in to the system if thats what your asking. There are many places where IMG students are auto-filtered out and you have no chance regardless of the situation. In terms of disrespect / insults ... only here on SDN lol.

If my stats were inserted into an AMG school I would have been interviewing at top tier IM places and free to choose any specialty. With my stats as a carib student I interviewed only at mid tier.

Hey, at SGU is it still two major exams (midterm and final) that determine the bulk of your grade or is it several block exams (usually at the end of the month) and a final exam? From what I understand block exams have an advantage over the former since it gives students more practice and less stress- but I'd love to hear other people's perspectives on this!

Also, regarding the KBT program, only your first year would be in UK right? and then you're back in Grenada?

Lastly what does the dropout rate tend to be at SGU, Ive heard rumours about it being really high and the program is such that there aren't enough spots for clinicals so a bulk of students will inevitably fail out?

Thanks in advance for any clarification/answers you have for any of my questions!

Hey, at SGU is it still two major exams (midterm and final) that determine the bulk of your grade or is it several block exams (usually at the end of the month) and a final exam? From what I understand block exams have an advantage over the former since it gives students more practice and less stress- but I'd love to hear other people's perspectives on this!

Also, regarding the KBT program, only your first year would be in UK right? and then you're back in Grenada?

Lastly what does the dropout rate tend to be at SGU, Ive heard rumours about it being really high and the program is such that there aren't enough spots for clinicals so a bulk of students will inevitably fail out?

Thanks in advance for any clarification/answers you have for any of my questions!

1) # of tests vary by each course, but midterm / final are usually worth the most. During my first term you had a mini test called unifieds worth about 10% followed by midterm / final. Bigger tests can be more stressful but either way you study / work hard and get rewarded. Tests themselves are stressful so I preferred the big midterm / final over multiple small tests. It also allowed me to study more on my own rather than the pace the school wanted. To each his own.
2) yes first year only in UK. Then 1 year in grenada
3) The rumor may pertain to smaller carib schools but SGU / Ross do not have a shortage of clinical spots. The schools are still making plenty money during the clinical years. People fail because they can't cut it ... simple as that. The dropout rate isn't something that is publicized so any data you get take with a big grain of salt. I just graduated SGU and I would say from my starting class to match day 30% of people didn't make it. That includes people who failed out and people who didn't match and will try to match again next year. The biggest drop occurs early on during the first term for those who can't handle med school.