SGU - first year UK program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dondon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think of the Northumbria University program that SGU has with this institute in Newcastle, England?

i think it sounds pretty interesting, any people here who experienced it first hand or even just heard anything please let me know what you know or think about it? (good or bad)

Members don't see this ad.

The program is good, the only problem is that it is not licenced in Cali and NJ. They arein the process. Once it gets approved, I guess it will be more popular/in demand.

Reactions: 1 user
what do you guys think of the Northumbria University program that SGU has with this institute in Newcastle, England?

i think it sounds pretty interesting, any people here who experienced it first hand or even just heard anything please let me know what you know or think about it? (good or bad)

I do not like it at all, SGU is fooling people on this, there are 2 major problems for Licensure down the road that even the lowest legit Caribbean schools have it better then them ( since they have first 2 years in country of charter).

1. Country of CHarter Basic Science, there are a number of states that require the Basic science of medical school (1st 2 years) be in the country where the school is chartered, SGU is not charted in the UK.

2. No California approval ( not license as the other poster!) for Licensure, No Tx and NY approval for clinicals like the real SGU.

SGU markets this school as SGU, it is not, it is a new school they created.
If it was not then California and the others would approve of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not like it at all, SGU is fooling people on this, there are 2 major problems for Licensure down the road that even the lowest legit Caribbean schools have it better then them ( since they have first 2 years in country of charter).

1. Country of CHarter Basic Science, there are a number of states that require the Basic science of medical school (1st 2 years) be in the country where the school is chartered, SGU is not charted in the UK.

2. No California approval ( not license as the other poster!) for Licensure, No Tx and NY approval for clinicals like the real SGU.

actually you're wrong. with the UK global scholars program the UK students come to grenada after 1 year of basic sciences and finish up their basic sciences in Grenada. They then go on to do their clinical rotations at the same sites as grenada sgu students and get the same diploma, in addition they also get some kind of certificate of higher education from NNU.

You're correct that there are licensing issues with California and NJ but those are the only two states that haven't approved the program yet and SGU is working very hard to have the program approved asap.

SGU has also prepared for these extra 100+ UK students that will be coming over to finish their basic sciences and do their clinicals by building a new lecture hall that can sit over 700 people and by building 3 new dorms. Also the contract with NYC's HHC hospitals guarantees over 600 more clinical spots for SGU students. So besides the licensing issue, that sgu is working on, there really is no draw back to doing the global scholars program.

I love it how you (oldpro) always complain that people post BS on here and don't know what they're talking about and that you have to butt in and correct people, when in actuality you probably do it just as much as anyone else. Please for the sake of those asking questions, don't post about topics you have no clue about.

thank you.

To the OP please refer to valuemd if you have any other questions about sgu, unless you enjoy getting incorrect information. and here's a link to a thread that talks about the licensing issues of the GSP program. http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-u...al-scholars-program-california-nj-issues.html

actually you're wrong. with the UK global scholars program the UK students come to grenada after 1 year of basic sciences and finish up their basic sciences in Grenada. They then go on to do their clinical rotations at the same sites as grenada sgu students and get the same diploma, in addition they also get some kind of certificate of higher education from NNU.

You're correct that there are licensing issues with California and NJ but those are the only two states that haven't approved the program yet and SGU is working very hard to have the program approved asap.

SGU has also prepared for these extra 100+ UK students that will be coming over to finish their basic sciences and do their clinicals by building a new lecture hall that can sit over 700 people and by building 3 new dorms. Also the contract with NYC's HHC hospitals guarantees over 600 more clinical spots for SGU students. So besides the licensing issue, that sgu is working on, there really is no draw back to doing the global scholars program.

I love it how you (oldpro) always complain that people post BS on here and don't know what they're talking about and that you have to butt in and correct people, when in actuality you probably do it just as much as anyone else. Please for the sake of those asking questions, don't post about topics you have no clue about.

thank you.

To the OP please refer to valuemd if you have any other questions about sgu, unless you enjoy getting incorrect information. and here's a link to a thread that talks about the licensing issues of the GSP program. http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-u...al-scholars-program-california-nj-issues.html

NOPE Not incorrect

YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS GIVING ADVICE WHEN YOU POST LIKE THIS!

FACT 1! even if 1 year basic science in UK then 1 at SGU this is not 2 years in Country of Charter.

So I'm not INCORRECT 2 years of Basic Science not in the Country of CHarter!

(Where am I worng? Hmmmm)

FACT 2! SGU is approved by California, NY, TX, and NJ. The Global Scholars is by NJ only! and this was after California caught SGU doing this and prospective students asking California if they can get Licensed from this!

I'm Correct again in what I posted.

No Matter How many times you try to post I'm WRONG I will prove I'm RIGHT!

All you did is post that 1 year of Basic science was not in the country of charter which is my point. ALso I started by saying I do not like this program (An opinion and I said why)

If the Scholars program has been approved in Ny and Tx ( its not on the Tx list so far) let us know I just found out about NJ yesterday.

WHY DO YOU FEEL THE NEED TO CHEERLEAD FOR SGU ALL THE TIME?

Look I do not care but if you think SGU is above all criticism then you are in the wrong place my friend!

NOPE Not incorrect

YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS GIVING ADVICE WHEN YOU POST LIKE THIS!

FACT 1! even if 1 year basic science in UK then 1 at SGU this is not 2 years in Country of Charter.

So I'm not INCORRECT 2 years of Basic Science not in the Country of CHarter!

(Where am I worng? Hmmmm)

FACT 2! SGU is approved by California, NY, TX, and NJ. The Global Scholars is by NJ only! and this was after California caught SGU doing this and prospective students asking California if they can get Licensed from this!

I'm Correct again in what I posted.

No Matter How many times you try to post I'm WRONG I will prove I'm RIGHT!

Why? Because I have the Facts

If the Scholars program has been approved in Ny and Tx ( its not on the Tx list so far) let us know I just found out about NJ yesterday.

WHY DO YOU FEEL THE NEED TO CHEERLEAD FOR SGU ALL THE TIME?

Look I do not care but if you think SGU is above all criticism then you are in the wrong place my friend!

you said that the global scholars program is totally different then sgu's but they still get the same sgu diploma so that statement is incorrect, also you said that the global scholars people don't do their clinical spots at the same place as other sgu students when in reality they do, so that's another statement that's incorrect.
I have the authority to give advice about sgu because I am a student at sgu unlike you.

and I cheerlead for sgu because i am proud to be a student at sgu and will be proud to be an sgu alumni, just like i cheerlead for my undergraduate school Lehigh University. I feel sorry for those that aren't proud of the universities they attend why go somewhere if you don't want to cheerlead for them or be proud that you graduated from there.

you said that the global scholars program is totally different then sgu's but they still get the same sgu diploma so that statement is incorrect, also you said that the global scholars people don't do their clinical spots at the same place as other sgu students when in reality they do, so that's another statement that's incorrect.
I have the authority to give advice about sgu because I am a student at sgu unlike you.

and I cheerlead for sgu because i am proud to be a student at sgu and will be proud to be an sgu alumni, just like i cheerlead for my undergraduate school Lehigh University. I feel sorry for those that aren't proud of the universities they attend why go somewhere if you don't want to cheerlead for them or be proud that you graduated from there.

Again you argue !

1. It is called GSP, Is going to SGU on the island for Medical School called GSP? Calling it GSP hence a program different then the one on the island is

Well Different! If something is different it is not the same!, Boy I'm so tired of this!

For the last time,

Basic Science when you go to SGU is 2 years at SGU on the island ( this is required by Law in some states in the US for Lic)

If you are admitted ( notice admitted into the GSP not SGU) into the GSP then you physically are not in the country of charter for a year of Basic science
( notice how I have explained for the third time what is going on here)

Not in the country of charter for even a year is not in the country of charter for the required 2 years of basic science and this can be a potential problem in some states that require this by law!

SO NOT WRONG!

I never never never said they do not do clincicals inthe same place !!!!!!!!!!!

Show me where!

Here is the first post!!!!!!!

It says nothing of clinicals!

CHEERLEADING is plain wrong!

There are others who used to do it and they get banned at some time from VMD and SDN believe me it will happen!

No Tx and NY approval for clinicals like the real SGU.

this is from your first post. like i said before you get an SGU diploma after graduating from the gsp program so that makes it very similar to sgu's grenada program, can't get anymore similar then that.

how is me saying how much i love sgu and how i think it's a great school and how i am very greatful to sgu for helping me reach my goal of becoming a doctor going to get me banned?? maybe if i was bashing other schools in the process that would get me banned but just voicing my oppinions about my school shouldn't be a problem. In fact why go to a school that you're ashamed of or are unhappy with or don't want to cheerlead for? there are plenty of schools out there, you should pick the one you're going to be happy with. And I am very happy with the fact that i picked sgu, and so is everyone i have met at sgu.

this is from your first post. like i said before you get an SGU diploma after graduating from the gsp program so that makes it very similar to sgu's grenada program, can't get anymore similar then that.

Read it again friend! It says Clincials!!!!!!!!! Clinicals!!!!!!!!!! that is not residency

Residency is not Clinicals!!!!!!!!!!!

I can say it a thousand times!

yes exactly i wasn't talking about residency i was talking about clinicals, as in your 3rd and 4th year. you're saying no approval for clinicals meaning if you're in the gsp program you can't do clinicals in nyc like like the grenada sgu program students, and i am saying yes you can.

yes exactly i wasn't talking about residency i was talking about clinicals, as in your 3rd and 4th year. you're saying no approval for clinicals meaning if you're in the gsp program you can't do clinicals in nyc like like the grenada sgu program students, and i am saying yes you can.

How? You did not attend Basic science in both 2 years on th island! It was not the GSP approved ( Like Cali and TX have pointed out) but SGU approved, it seems that SGU is bending rules here and when that is done who gets hurt if caught? The student does!

Simple here if you do more then 12wks in NY from an unapproved program then Lic in the state of NY is not possible forever! They have done this to stem the tide of caribbean schools wanting NY clinicals when there is limited space.

You can be Lic in NY if you do 12 wks there then the rest else where when in a nonapproved program.

Few understand this rule/Law....I know because I correct many on this.

Texas, GSP is not on the Texas list only SGU, I think when this is tested in TX ( a state not friendly to FMG's ) you may find problems,

You see you have to submit transcripts, does not matter if you have a degree that says NY CITY USA the transcripts will say where you studied, also some states boards now require Passports to be submitted, YEP the proof you were on the island when you were supposed to be, thank the internet and the "Fly down for the test" students for this one.

As smart as you think you are know that the boards are smarter at times and who is at the head of the medical boards? Lay people and Doctors! DO not think you can "Get away with things" if caught you are toast!

Thats why I do not like the GSP program its playing with my future too much.

Its experimental now no grads, no License nothing yet!

how is the gsp effecting you? you're not in the gsp program, neither am I. I am doing everything by the books, so are you probably. this shouldn't effect us at all. besides by the time the first gsp class graduates i'll be two years into my residency. Yes the gsp might give a "bad" name to other carib schools but if you have solid scores on your boards, have completed all your rotations in green booked hospitals have solid letters of rec, and know your stuff, you have nothing to fear.

it only matters since the OP asked about it and I posted early what I thought.

My opinion and some things that are known as high risk and problems

I did not start the thread.

Instead of continuing your pissing match, why don't you guys post some links to back up what you're saying, instead of claiming that what you're writing is fact.

Instead of continuing your pissing match, why don't you guys post some links to back up what you're saying, instead of claiming that what you're writing is fact.

Its not a pissing match, I'm pointing out facts about Licensing in various US states, why don't you post the laws and rules and take the hours to research this I do not have since I have step two and call to deal with for Ortho.

I just point out some things, I do not go to SGU GSP so I do not care, My school is WHO and IMED listed and I did my 2 years of Basic Science in the Country of charter.

Not attending in the Country of charter is a real issue not made up by me.

Do your own research do not believe what a school tells you.

Its not a pissing match, I'm pointing out facts about Licensing in various US states, why don't you post the laws and rules and take the hours to research this I do not have since I have step two and call to deal with for Ortho.

I just point out some things, I do not go to SGU GSP so I do not care, My school is WHO and IMED listed and I did my 2 years of Basic Science in the Country of charter.

Not attending in the Country of charter is a real issue not made up by me.

Do your own research do not believe what a school tells you.

haha for once i agree with you on this one.. I too am not in the gsp program and did everything by the books to guarantee that i don't have any issues getting a license in all 5 states. Like oldpro i could care less if people do the gsp program or not. If people are really concerned about this issue they should be doing more proper research like calling the medical licensing committee of the states you want to practice in to make sure you fallow what they require you to do, and not use public forums to use as fact.

Old pro and Russian joo.

Thank you for your wonderful exchange.

I received acceptance from SGU along with an invitation to join GSP . I got excited and almost thought of giving instant confirmation. Better part of me wanted to do more research and I cannot agree more with OldPro. GSP is certainly a good program but surely going to add more complications than add value. It is a matter of time that some board could take an objection based on charter rule and put GSP students into jeopardy.

Good responses and guidance. Appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.