SGU Charter foundation program Vs AUC/Ross Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JacoMescudi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking for any advice/insight on deciding between SGU's August CFP, and September acceptance at both AUC or Ross.

Would it be possible to put the down payment for ross/auc, defer it to January then go to the CFP incase I don't do well enough in the CFP?

Is SGU that much better than AUC/Ross that it's worth 4 months of working hard towards securing a 3.5+ Gpa?

I'm a very focused student, I don't get distracted or party or anything like that. I definitely am willing to work at it and believe I can do it, but I am a little nervous. How difficult is the program?

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Just looking for any advice/insight on deciding between SGU's August CFP, and September acceptance at both AUC or Ross.

Would it be possible to put the down payment for ross/auc, defer it to January then go to the CFP incase I don't do well enough in the CFP?

Why would you want to do this? The Foundations course is basically intro to medical school. If you do poorly in Foundations, which is an easier program on an island with nicer living conditions and easier access to student support, why would you then think you could go to Ross or AUC and do well in their med programs? Furthermore, I don't think they would be okay with this if they found out about it. If you are a US student on federal loans, I'm also not sure how this would work with your student loans as they might consider you to be simultaneously attending two med programs.

Is SGU that much better than AUC/Ross that it's worth 4 months of working hard towards securing a 3.5+ Gpa?
Define "better". SGU, Ross, AUC have pretty similar placement rates. I think SGU is slightly better known just because it's larger and older. I went there for the name recognition and nicer living conditions. It's also more expensive. No way I can make that decision for you, you have to decide for yourself what you want out of your experience.
I'm a very focused student, I don't get distracted or party or anything like that. I definitely am willing to work at it and believe I can do it, but I am a little nervous. How difficult is the program?

Thanks so much

Those are all good things but I don't think there's really a good way to gauge how you're going to perform since this is going to be pretty different than anything you've done before. It's more a function of your will and determination than your raw intelligence, but there is also an element of luck. I have had many classmates that I'm sure are smarter than me, and they have either decel'ed or washed out just because they can't handle the stress and time management. A few had unfortunate personal circumstances arise that they just weren't able to come back from. Set yourself up to maximize your chances of making it through, but make sure you have a couple of contingency plans in place if things go south on you.

Reactions: 1 user
Again, agree with bedevilled ben.

I think the MERP/pre-acceptance/pre-med programs these schools can offer would be much better attended in a post-baccalaureate program in the U.S. This will allow you more options down the road if you don't do well in the pre-med program offered by the Caribbean school. You can, for example, use credits at a bona fide U.S. school to then go get a second B.A. or B.S. and/or towards a graduate M.S. or PhD degree if all else fails. Not sure you would be able to do this if you went Carib for the same and didn't make it into their M.D. granting program.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say go to ROSS/AUC. I was offered CFP at SGU, went to SABA, never failed a course, did fine on my Step 1 and am about to start MS3. Don't listen to the haters. Plus, the CFP might push your graduation date depending on when you do it, and you're looking at paying all that extra tuition.

JacoMescudi if you dont mind, what was your stats that placed you in the CFP?

In this same boat right now

Why would you want to do this? The Foundations course is basically intro to medical school. If you do poorly in Foundations, which is an easier program on an island with nicer living conditions and easier access to student support, why would you then think you could go to Ross or AUC and do well in their med programs? Furthermore, I don't think they would be okay with this if they found out about it. If you are a US student on federal loans, I'm also not sure how this would work with your student loans as they might consider you to be simultaneously attending two med programs.

Define "better". SGU, Ross, AUC have pretty similar placement rates. I think SGU is slightly better known just because it's larger and older. I went there for the name recognition and nicer living conditions. It's also more expensive. No way I can make that decision for you, you have to decide for yourself what you want out of your experience.

Those are all good things but I don't think there's really a good way to gauge how you're going to perform since this is going to be pretty different than anything you've done before. It's more a function of your will and determination than your raw intelligence, but there is also an element of luck. I have had many classmates that I'm sure are smarter than me, and they have either decel'ed or washed out just because they can't handle the stress and time management. A few had unfortunate personal circumstances arise that they just weren't able to come back from. Set yourself up to maximize your chances of making it through, but make sure you have a couple of contingency plans in place if things go south on you.

Hi,

did you feel as graduate from SGU it helped you when it came to residency since the name has more recognition? Was the high number of students in your class a problem?

There's no appreciable difference between the education obtained, residency placement rate, residency specialty options, or residency tier within specialty, for the big 3 (or 4) Caribbean schools. Pick the island you think you'd like living on the best and run with it. If you think living in Grenada is worth the extra $30K for the cost of the premed semester then do the CFP.

Hi,

did you feel as graduate from SGU it helped you when it came to residency since the name has more recognition? Was the high number of students in your class a problem?

By and large I don't think it makes a huge difference between Ross and SGU, but I am tangentially involved in applicant recruitment at my residency program now, and we don't consider applicants from other Caribbean schools really so take from that what you will. Again though this is just one data point at my own program, and this probably varies with geographic location, too. Programs in the NE are likely going to be more familiar with Caribbean schools in general.

Reactions: 1 users
By and large I don't think it makes a huge difference between Ross and SGU, but I am tangentially involved in applicant recruitment at my residency program now, and we don't consider applicants from other Caribbean schools really so take from that what you will. Again though this is just one data point at my own program, and this probably varies with geographic location, too. Programs in the NE are likely going to be more familiar with Caribbean schools in general.

What about AUC? Just want to get your point of view on it.

So you dont consider AUC students for residency?

What about AUC? Just want to get your point of view on it.

So you dont consider AUC students for residency?

It certainly seems that way. We had about 1,200 applications for 8-11 spots. I don't know how many interview offers we made or the stats on those applications yet as I'm not involved at that level, but we interviewed about 120, none of which were graduates from Caribbean schools other than SGU or Ross, and our program is friendly towards IMG's and FMG's.

Edit to clarify that I don't think has anything to do with education quality. Medical education isn't that different across most schools. I think it's more a reflection of a residency program's culture than anything.

It certainly seems that way. We had about 1,200 applications for 8-11 spots. I don't know how many interview offers we made or the stats on those applications yet as I'm not involved at that level, but we interviewed about 120, none of which were graduates from Caribbean schools other than SGU or Ross, and our program is friendly towards IMG's and FMG's.

Edit to clarify that I don't think has anything to do with education quality. Medical education isn't that different across most schools. I think it's more a reflection of a residency program's culture than anything.

Thank you, it clears things for me

Members don't see this ad :)

I see. I don't expect things to change in the future for the better for IMGs, but still hope more residency positions open in general. It's a long time coming.

Reactions: 1 users
We had about 1,200 applications for 8-11 spots. I don't know how many interview offers we made or the stats on those applications yet as I'm not involved at that level, but we interviewed about 120, none of which were graduates from Caribbean schools other than SGU or Ross, and our program is friendly towards IMG's and FMG's.

I've spoken about this before on this forum (a LONG time ago).

There is a difference between applications and applicants. One applicant can submit several applications. At a program I'm affiliated with currently, the scenario you list is pretty much the same. They received about 900 applications for 8 spots. They interviewed about 110 people... and invited more than that.

The fact is, there is a normal and limited distribution of applicants for any field, and this is how the sorting process works. Some of those applicants will not get any invitations to interview based on a host of criteria. Some will get several invites. There is a "secret sauce" methodology that a lot of programs use to arrive at this.

When I was an applicant for 2005, I submitted about 40 applications for residency. I got 13 invites for interview. Some programs sent me a nice letter, but never offered an interview. Others didn't even show the courtesy to acknowledge that I'd applied. I went on 11 interviews. I ranked 9 of those 11 places in the NRMP. And, I matched at my #2. What's my point? It's a numbers game. Pure and simple.

Number of applications a program gets isn't a direct reflection on the desirability of that program. Number of people who are invited and show-up for the interview is. Programs know this. Also, the NRMP data will back-up the premise that the more interviews you get and the more spots you rank, the better your chances are of matching.

So... Apply widely to programs that have a track record of taking graduates from your school, go on as many interviews as you can afford to go on, and rank as many programs as you can.

-Skip

Reactions: 4 users
I've spoken about this before on this forum (a LONG time ago).

There is a difference between applications and applicants. One applicant can submit several applications. At a program I'm affiliated with currently, the scenario you list is pretty much the same. They received about 900 applications for 8 spots. They interviewed about 110 people... and invited more than that.

The fact is, there is a normal and limited distribution of applicants for any field, and this is how the sorting process works. Some of those applicants will not get any invitations to interview based on a host of criteria. Some will get several invites. There is a "secret sauce" methodology that a lot of programs use to arrive at this.

When I was an applicant for 2005, I submitted about 40 applications for residency. I got 13 invites for interview. Some programs sent me a nice letter, but never offered an interview. Others didn't even show the courtesy to acknowledge that I'd applied. I went on 11 interviews. I ranked 9 of those 11 places in the NRMP. And, I matched at my #2. What's my point? It's a numbers game. Pure and simple.

Number of applications a program gets isn't a direct reflection on the desirability of that program. Number of people who are invited and show-up for the interview is. Programs know this. Also, the NRMP data will back-up the premise that the more interviews you get and the more spots you rank, the better your chances are of matching.

So... Apply widely to programs that have a track record of taking graduates from your school, go on as many interviews as you can afford to go on, and rank as many programs as you can.

-Skip

I agree with everything you wrote, except I don't really think I understand the gravity of your distinction between applications vs applicants in this scenario. If I were looking at our hospital residency strength as a whole, then yeah, I would agree that the applicants vs applications stat matters more. I recognize that especially for a large IMG-friendly community based hospital like mine, and for a mostly non-competitive specialty like Psych even more, we are likely going to get people that applied broadly into many other programs as well. A single applicant might submit 3 or 4 applications to various residencies available in our hospital with the seminal goal of matching into something. But really the point that I was trying to make is, that despite a large number of applications from a broad range of applicants, we haven't to date Matched a non Ross or SGU Caribbean graduate into our program, and our's is a very IMG and FMG friendly program.

Just as a super late response to the original post, for anyone who references this thread in regards to CFP...I do not regret starting in CFP at all. It was a very cheap means of ensuring you're cut out for the grueling academics of medical school, as well as living on an island far away from family. The students in the CFP had a very obvious leg up on everyone else during first year, as we had already taken intro versions of half the classes. I should mention that I had an acceptance letter from Ross as well when I made the decision to do CFP. I also chose not to leverage the Ross acceptance against SGU for a direct admit.

Is the CFP just for the January class? I don't see any info for CFP for the August class? Also, did they let you know that you would be in the CFP before or after your interview? I wouldn't want to interview and waste my time with the whole process just to find out they want me in CFP...

They have CFP for august and january class just like the med program. CFP are undergrad courses so you will do them alongside people attending undergrad at SGU. I did CFP in the august class so it technically pushed me a year behind. The line between CFP and 1st term med can be very gray. Some people with worse stats get into term 1 while others get sent to CFP.

CFP can really help some people and not do much for others. It isn't as intense as term 1 (maybe 70% intensity...) so it can ease you in so to speak. Many people struggle with the transition to the island life, pace of med school, etc. For these people it can really be a benefit. I was ready to work so I would like to think I would have done well regardless of CFP but I am just grateful for the opportunity. When I did CFP they offered repeats free of charge. So you could drop out of the program and retry next term. The med program has a similar thing where you can "decel" and repeat a course. The 3.5 GPA is very doable and it is flexible. Many people with 3.3 / 3.4's were let into term 1 but this was 4 years ago so things could be different. Pushing you back 1 year can seem like an eternity but 1 year is nothing when it is your future career.

I went to SGU so CFP vs term 1 ross isn't really something I can answer. I am very happy with my match so I am bias to SGU. I would look at the match lists for both schools and see if SGU is worth it. I think most agree SGU > Ross but it certainly isn't anything to write home about.

Beating the dead horse...

You are already behind the 8-ball going the Caribbean route. Why would anyone enroll in any "pre-med" course sponsored by one of these schools? They are nothing more than a "win-win" for the school with no real upside to the enrollee. If there is a problem with your application (e.g., grades, low MCAT scores, etc.), fix those in the U.S./Canada before choosing this route.

Secondly, these CFP/MERP courses will not provide you transferable credits. Personally, if you are under 25-years-old, I'd suggest getting a masters degree (1-2 years) at an accredited institution, working on approving your application, and re-taking the MCATs in that timeframe after preparing yourself. Worst case scenario, you're 1-2 years older, maybe your perspective and personal situation has changed... but now you have a masters degree and there may be better opportunities out there. You "fail out" of CFP/MERP... now what?

I started at Ross in my early 30's. I've been in private practice (anesthesiology) for almost 8 years. I'm still in my forties and killing it. Life is long. Plan accordingly. Don't make any mistakes in your early twenties that will translate to things you will regret later in life. If I'd been "pathwayed" into MERP or CFP, no doubt in my mind that I would be doing something else with my life right now. Would I have lingering "what if" questions? Probably. But, I still have those regarding other life choices I've made. You know what? Those are unavoidable. That's life. You simply do your best and try to move on. Don't make BIG mistakes in your early twenties.

$0.02

-Skip

Reactions: 2 users
I disagree. No real upside? How about if you work hard for 1 semester you get an opportunity at med school? Many people pursue masters in effort to improve their application. Getting an MPH, masters in molecular bio, etc are all great but not really ways to prove you can handle med school and thus not all that useful in "boosting" your app. I know a lot of people at SGU with masters in bio, molec, public health, etc... Clearly they still landed in carib. A lot of those degrees can be arguably "abuse" as well. Working in a lab doing busy work for others. Sure there are many practical degrees you can get (i.e. MBA) but if you are 1 semester away from turning yourself into a competitive applicant than you shouldn't be thinking carib at all. If you have made the effort and given an opportunity like CFP I don't think you should look at it so pessimistically. Sure It sucks having to have paid an extra 20K for this program that I don't think I really needed but if you have the mindset to succeed in med school you will be fine. If you can't handle it than maybe its a blessing to fail out of CFP and not endure all the finances of med training and fail out after a year or two. Obviously think about pro's and con's about going carib but I went to CFP and I landed in my #1 university match program.

But I'm wondering, do they interview you regularly for the MD class then decide charter foundation program, or they tell you before your interview or don't interview at all if you are a candidate for the CFP?

Things have changed but if I recall correctly you should know when you interview. When I interviewed at Ross they told me if I got in it would be MERP and SGU I learned the same at the interview.

But I'm wondering, do they interview you regularly for the MD class then decide charter foundation program, or they tell you before your interview or don't interview at all if you are a candidate for the CFP?

The way it works is you just interview as if you were entering term 1 medicine. After the interview, when your file goes to the Committee on Admissions, they will make the appropriate recommendation when they render their decision. So you are never going to be interviewed for the Foundations to Medicine Program.

You'd be surprised how many people I know that you think would end up with Foundations who ended up in term 1 medicine. Personally, I'd skip the Foundations or CFP or whatever you want to call it because it wastes a term, has very high attrition, and it's out-of-pocket. If you're going to work hard, might as well get credit for it.

I disagree. No real upside? How about if you work hard for 1 semester you get an opportunity at med school? <snip>...

This is the part that I don't think people enrolling in these programs understand: those who succeed in them would have also succeeded enrolling directly into medical school in the first place. There is zero upshot for the applicant, and 100% upshot for the school. Please understand that these are not preparatory courses; they are weeding-out programs. (Sure, they provide you some information... but the relevant information they actually provide is to the school, namely validation to them that you can handle the material. They provide to the individual nothing tangible, other than perhaps self-confidence.... which is really an intangible.)

What I want to know, and have zero expectation that this information will be provided, is how many people subsequently fail out after passing CFP/MERP. What I'd also like the schools to do is select a cohort of applicants who they "think" will benefit from the MERP/CFP/Foundations (or whatever these schools are calling these programs) to randomize and publish students to either be accepted directly into their medical school vs. into the MERP/CFP/Charter/whatever program. My bet is that there would be absolutely no difference in the fail-out rate between the two arms of that study.

Having a post-graduate degree is tangible. It also increases your chance of getting into a U.S. program. It also increases your marketability for other allied health programs or careers that you might not even currently know exist. Failing out of CFP/MERP/Foundations/"unameit" gets you this: nothing. The schools need to do a better job up front of identifying true risks rather than creating their own game of "Survivor" where there is not downside to them.

Otherwise, your response is about what I'd expect from someone who's drank their KoolAid... and is also 25-years-old (or younger).

Please re-read my post.

-Skip

Last edited:
This is the part that I don't think people enrolling in these programs understand: those who succeed in them would have also succeeded enrolling directly into medical school in the first place. There is zero upshot for the applicant, and 100% upshot for the school. Please understand that these are not preparatory courses; they are weeding-out programs. (Sure, they provide you some information... but the relevant information they actually provide is to the school, namely validation to them that you can handle the material. They provide to the individual nothing tangible, other than perhaps self-confidence.... which is really an intangible.)

What I want to know, and have zero expectation that this information will be provided, is how many people subsequently fail out after passing CFP/MERP. What I'd also like the schools to do is select a cohort of applicants who they "think" will benefit from the MERP/CFP/Foundations (or whatever these schools are calling these programs) to randomize and publish students to either be accepted directly into their medical school vs. into the MERP/CFP/Charter/whatever program. My bet is that there would be absolutely no difference in the fail-out rate between the two arms of that study.

Having a post-graduate degree is tangible. It also increases your chance of getting into a U.S. program. It also increases your marketability for other allied health programs or careers that you might not even currently know exist. Failing out of CFP/MERP/Foundations/"unameit" gets you this: nothing. The schools need to do a better job up front of identifying true risks rather than creating their own game of "Survivor" where there is not downside to them.

Otherwise, your response is about what I'd expect from someone who's drank their KoolAid... and is also 25-years-old (or younger).

Please re-read my post.

-Skip

Tangible is guaranteed admission to med school (i.e. an opportunity when there is none) which should be a big deal to someone considering the carib route. That is someone who has hopefully exhausted most opportunities. Getting a masters in certain subjects does nothing for so many people in terms of getting into med school. I know many classmates who tried this and still ended up at SGU. I agree with you CFP is another way for the school to make money but for me it was my only opportunity. Would I have rather gone directly into term 1 .... obviously. Would I have succeeded? Yes... The argument is whether SGU is worth spending an extra 20k and semester doing CFP rather than going directly to Ross.

I said nothing malicious to you and am posting on behalf of my direct experience in hopes of helping people. You don't know me or my experiences yet you demean what I have to say in a hypocritical fashion and then call me childish.... Typical SDN style. I am a person who had a long road to reach where I am now and I will drink plenty koolaid to that.

Tangible is guaranteed admission to med school (i.e. an opportunity when there is none) which should be a big deal to someone considering the carib route.

There is absolutely no "guaranteed admission" when you enroll into one of these programs. There is conditional acceptance. If you can't fundamentally understand that distinction, there is no point continuing this discussion because you will never be able to grasp my point.

-Skip

Back to the OP, and just so it's perfectly clear...

(All things being equal, this is a no-brainer.)

If accepted directly into Ross School of Medicine to start their M.D. granting program vs. being enrolled in any other "pre-med" course at any another Caribbean school, I would personally choose Ross in that situation. Easily. Hands down. If those were my only options.

-Skip

There is absolutely no "guaranteed admission" when you enroll into one of these programs. There is conditional acceptance. If you can't fundamentally understand that distinction, there is no point continuing this discussion because you will never be able to grasp my point.

-Skip

There are many aspects of what you say that are fundamentally beyond grasping so I won't argue with you. I only did the program and lived the experience so what do I know ... I am just some 21 year old scum drinking koolaid in my mamas basement.

I never called you (or anyone else here) scum. The prefrontal cortex, the executive decisions-making center of the brain, isn't fully formed until the age of 25. Plan accordingly.

-Skip

I never called you (or anyone else here) scum. The prefrontal cortex, the executive decisions-making center of the brain, isn't fully formed until the age of 25. Plan accordingly.

-Skip

Nope, but your attitude shines through.

Nope, but your attitude shines through.

Dear Shouldigomd,

My "attititude"? What a peculiar observation and odd thing to say about someone with whom you have had zero real-life interaction other than what's been written on an Internet forum.

When one comes to a forum and posts publicly, one must be prepared to cogently defend one's position. For, not only is an exchange created between two people posting and commenting on each other's post, there is also a very open, public, and accessible "lurk" going on by people who not only may subsequently chime in themselves but may also choose to read and not comment. This provides information - some good, some bad. More importantly, a forum is a place to share ideas and defend a position. Maybe you already know this. I know it for certain (based alone on the private posts I get here). Furthermore, I can state with near certainty that I have probably been posting on Internet forums before you even had pubic hair.

So...

You don't like what I post? Fine. You interpret it as a personal attack and an "aspersion" against you? It's not, but also fine. This isn't all about you, my young Millennial friend. Grow a thicker skin. This will serve you well in the medical profession. What is more worrisome to me, as a doctor of nearly 12 years and someone who presently teaches medical students and residents in that capacity as well as presently entertaining one who hopes to join my profession, is your near lack of ability to grasp my point. These programs serve the schools, not the "applicant" (which is every enrollee's status when beginning such a course: applicant or "conditional acceptance"). Being the "entrance fee" into the Caribbean they are therefore ridiculous, when stripped bare and honestly evaluated, for the aforementioned reasons.

In summary, I can't diminish here any cognitive impairment from which you or anyone else may be currently suffering as a result of your as-yet incomplete brain development. I can only state the case. The fact that you enrolled in one of these courses, and succeeded, means nothing... except to you. Medicine is about applying principles to populations with the goal of helping individuals. And, for a multitude of reasons, there is insufficient evidence that these programs benefit anyone other than the schools themselves, despite the individual(s) who survive(s) them and despite what you apparently believe, in spite of your own thus-far successes.

Now, if on the other hand U.S. schools offered the exact same program - completely different situation. But, they don't. Some have pseudo-similar post-bac programs. But, I can't argue that the allure of "contingent acceptance" is a powerful motivator for some... even for Caribbean programs. Just don't misrepresent what's going on here, which I currently have little confidence that you yourself fully understand.

If that means my "attitude shines through" with regards to this particular topic, good.

-Skip

Reactions: 3 users
Zero interaction ... its funny you say that since it was you who began insulting me like a typical behind the keyboard internet troll. On basically no basis other than me mentioning my direct experience of which you obviously didn't agree. I have no issue with your points and wanted to help the OP ... I have issue with unnecessary insults. But if I call you out that means my skin is too thin? Whatever makes you feel good. You haven't done CFP so your experiences are from a different angle. Calling me young? Calling me less developed? Drinking kool aid? etc etc. And you continue.... you don't know how old I am or what I have been through... Instead of defend your points you resort to insults which is childish and I hope for your sake you are very different from the persona you present on SDN. I never felt the need to insult or demean you because, as you say, I don't know you or your experiences... The point was to present info for others to benefit... the purpose of an internet forums... but lets call each other names and insult one another on the internet!

I am defending my position but you are defending with internet insults. Not much for me to respond to. I am just a millennial kool aid drinking underdeveloped cognitively impaired child not worthy of entering your noble profession of which you have practiced 10+ years. What flavor kool aid do I drink? I sound fat... am I fat too?

CFP benefits the school way more than the student... no question. It is a way for them to squeeze even more money out of people. You can say the same thing about SGU in general. That is why it should be a last resort for people who have exhausted other opportunities. Like I mentioned before, I wish I didn't have to do it and I don't believe it helped me all that much. The line between term 1 / CFP is very gray. Now I have an extra 20K to pay back and it put me"behind." That being said I would do it again over a direct acceptance to Ross because I believe SGU gave me a better shot in the match. That call is a close one though as SGU and Ross are pretty close in "rep." I would do it no question if I was comparing SGU to another carib school. You say it is a money trap that offers no "tangible" benefit to the student. I say it was my only opportunity which allowed me to go to med school at SGU and I landed my #1 residency... I would pay 1 year and 20K to be in the position I am in now no question... Like many of my classmates, getting a MPH or similar masters degrees wouldn't get me into an AMG program, wouldn't allow me to do what I wanted in life, would have costed me as much if not more, and would have probably landed me at SGU regardless.

So people that were in this same boat, what did you end up choosing for the upcoming Aug semester? I'm leaning towards SGU CFP at the moment over AUC direct admission. I just wanted to know what you guys chose before finalizing my decision.