SGU Charter Foundation Program Jan 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_HUMBLE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've since many old posts about the SGU Charter Program on SDN, however, I know the requirements have changed for the program in recent years. I wanted to ask anyone who has been through this program to give their opinions of the program and advise. How did you adjust to life in Grenada and did you feel more prepared and less anxious during your first semester of med school at SGU?

What is the PMSCE exam? How long is it? Whats the question format? How do you study for it? etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be joining you for the January 2016 CFP! I've consolidated some helpful info on the program from other threads/blogs-

SGU Charter Guides

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sgu-charter-foundation-program-jan-2013.959311/

http://m.valuemd.com/st-georges-university-school-medicine/230843-review-advice-foundations.html

https://amandatse.wordpress.com/2014/05/22/1-semester-down/

Life in Grenada:
http://m.valuemd.com/st-georges-faq/126168-rumors-true-grenada-students-guide-students.html

What to Bring:
https://welcometogrenada.wordpress.com/2006/10/23/what-to-pack/

I'd also like to know more about the final examination (how long, format?) but from what I've heard/read if you do well in your courses it should be easier than the sum of material on course exams.

And if anyone else replies I'm curious about how molecular bio labs are, since I never took the full course. Does either physio or biochem have lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply and see what happens, you never know. Your sGPA isn't too bad! If you don't get in I think post bacc classes will be less grueling than studying/prepping for the new 7.5 hour MCAT.
And I agree that you'd be better off choosing SGU over Ross.

I hear ya on the money situation. My post bacc program (took 4 courses not including labs that had extra fees) did not offer financial aid. Yikes. My family isn't too well off but they work hard and are very supportive. For SGU Charter, you cannot use government loans. I hear news they're changing the entire program to a post bacc where you can use government loans, but it'll be a year instead of a semester. For CFP, mostly everyone uses Sallie Mae. That's what I'll have to do for tuition + living expenses until Term 1.

I've accepted I'll be in debt for a while during my career but it'll be worth it someday; I'm not in this for the money. The only "safety net" (if you'd actually consider it a possibility) is the fact there's a full tuition refund if you don't make it. A lot of students don't. Some have said CFP has been the hardest semester so far at SGU, maybe not as hard as Term 4, but the pressure to keep up that GPA is a huge stress factor.

Thanks for the advice. My main problem is that my poor grades were in non science classes, mostly government and history. Retakes would be pointless. Science GPA is 3.16 with the prereqs. I received 2 A's, 1 C and rest B's. Hmm I suppose I could take another semester but at university tuition rate I don't save too much money vs CFP. I also am considering merp as I have an offer, but I strongly prefer SGU to all others.

You can take classes at community college. Nontraditional students wouldn't be held to taking all their classes at universities.

You can take classes at community college. Nontraditional students wouldn't be held to taking all their classes at universities.

CC only offers basic prereqs, nothing upper level. I may retake that C, but other than that I would require a university. One idea I had was enroll as a "degree seeking" student so I could qualify for FA. Even if it meant not really completing a second degree.

CC only offers basic prereqs, nothing upper level. I may retake that C, but other than that I would require a university. One idea I had was enroll as a "degree seeking" student so I could qualify for FA. Even if it meant not really completing a second degree.

Is that "cheating"? Heh, I never thought to do this. But I understand. So you think you could take classes and then just never complete the degree? Still counts?
My status was non degree seeking premed post bacc program student.. So yeah no aid, but the pros were that I sort of got special treatment from my profs. They treated me more like a grad student (smaller classes school) and I wasn't required to take labs linked to 2 classes. Confirmed with SGU for this.

So I've since many old posts about the SGU Charter Program on SDN, however, I know the requirements have changed for the program in recent years. I wanted to ask anyone who has been through this program to give their opinions of the program and advise. How did you adjust to life in Grenada and did you feel more prepared and less anxious during your first semester of med school at SGU?

What is the PMSCE exam? How long is it? Whats the question format? How do you study for it? etc.

I am currently CFP student. Here is my insight, most of the advices that are included are so irrelevant. I only listened to advice SKIP, most are non-senses.

CFP Program Review:
1. Human anatomy (Embryology, Histology, Anatomy) all integrated - goes fast, and mostly clinical relevance based. Much diferent than anatomy you may have taken before. Approach is to prep you for medical school.

2. Biochemistry (Pathways are main focus, but however, regulation of pathway is what is the core focus, you need to understand how it regulated, much different than undergrad biochem)

3. Physiology (Although concepts appears to be easier, but teachers here do not use the terminology that is often used in book, they make their own terminology to determine whether you memorized or whether you conceptually understood, again, based more on conceptually understand, memorizing does not work at all)

4. Abnormal Psychology (actual SOM third term class - focused on mental illnesses, and mental disorders, and how you diagnose it, symptoms, and what medications to use to treat it etc - Fully clinically oriented)

5. Molecular Cell Biology (it is as heavy as upper division Molecular Cell biology undergrad course, but consider it is as upper division, goes in molecular details - learning applications how to use this in medicine)

6. Learning strategies (such a waste of time - dont listen to their strategies then you are bound to fail)

This program is very intense, its like you are taking 24 units in one semester. It is rigrous, you have to study everyday, most likely study late a night everydays. Everday feels like you are studying late like you used to prepare for undergrad exams. So take those alnighters from undergrad during exams, and times that 4 months. Little time away from books, or miss two days of studying - you basically dropping your grade from A to B in matters of 2 days.

I am done with quizes and midterms, and was able to get 4.0 , and scored A in all the classes, but I study everyday until 4 am to stay caught up with classes. Now waiting for final exams.

By far- hardest I ever studied!

Warning: DO NOT PARTY, lot of people who likes to party, and they will want you to party and hit the club , but don't let that fool you, you will be at huge disadvantage. Be serious about it.

Passrate: although they tell you it is 80 percent, but they are only talking about people who actually make it to finals. So for overall class including people who are were dropped out in the middle of program - the pass rate is about 27 to 35 percent at its best.

If you want it bad, you will pass no problems at all. But you need to work hard. Always remind yourself you are here in Carebbean, you need to work hard 2x the US Med students.

This program will Prepare you for medschool, your first term will be such a breeze. If you are able to hit over 3.6 in this prgram, most likely (80 percent) chances you will be getting residency considering you make it 5th term, because this program is basically testing whether you have it in you or you dont. During exams - exams are consecutive 5 day order, with no day off in between, you will be burned out for exams, so prepare ahead.

Required to pass is 3.5. You have to self study, you can not rely on professors, You have to want it bad, and make it happen on your own :) which is best part, that is what you do as a doctor.

As far as money is concerned, yes the cost is 12k to get in this program plus 5k to 6 k housing, but this program is worth every penny for me.

All the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am currently CFP student. Here is my insight, most of the advices that are included are so irrelevant. I only listened to advice SKIP, most are non-senses.

CFP Program Review:
1. Human anatomy (Embryology, Histology, Anatomy) all integrated - goes fast, and mostly clinical relevance based. Much diferent than anatomy you may have taken before. Approach is to prep you for medical school.

2. Biochemistry (Pathways are main focus, but however, regulation of pathway is what is the core focus, you need to understand how it regulated, much different than undergrad biochem)

3. Physiology (Although concepts appears to be easier, but teachers here do not use the terminology that is often used in book, they make their own terminology to determine whether you memorized or whether you conceptually understood, again, based more on conceptually understand, memorizing does not work at all)

4. Abnormal Psychology (actual SOM third term class - focused on mental illnesses, and mental disorders, and how you diagnose it, symptoms, and what medications to use to treat it etc - Fully clinically oriented)

5. Molecular Cell Biology (it is as heavy as upper division Molecular Cell biology undergrad course, but consider it is as upper division, goes in molecular details - learning applications how to use this in medicine)

6. Learning strategies (such a waste of time - dont listen to their strategies then you are bound to fail)

This program is very intense, its like you are taking 24 units in one semester. It is rigrous, you have to study everyday, most likely study late a night everydays. Everday feels like you are studying late like you used to prepare for undergrad exams. So take those alnighters from undergrad during exams, and times that 4 months. Little time away from books, or miss two days of studying - you basically dropping your grade from A to B in matters of 2 days.

I am done with quizes and midterms, and was able to get 4.0 , and scored A in all the classes, but I study everyday until 4 am to stay caught up with classes. Now waiting for final exams.

By far- hardest I ever studied!

Warning: DO NOT PARTY, lot of people who come here are rich kids, and they will want you to party and hit the club , but don't let that fool you, you will be at huge disadvantage. Be serious about it.

Passrate: although they tell you it is 80 percent, but they are only talking about people who actually make it to finals. So for overall class including people who are were dropped out in the middle of program - the pass rate is about 27 to 35 percent at its best.

If you want it bad, you will pass no problems at all. But you need to work hard. Always remind yourself you are here in Carebbean, you need to work hard 2x the US Med students.

This program will Prepare you for medschool, your first term will be such a breeze. If you are able to hit over 3.6 in this prgram, most likely (80 percent) chances you will be getting residency considering you make it 5th term, because this program is basically testing whether you have it in you or you dont. During exams - exams are consecutive 5 day order, with no day off in between, you will be burned out for exams, so prepare ahead.

Required to pass is 3.5. You have to self study, you can not rely on professors, You have to want it bad, and make it happen on your own :) which is best part, that is what you do as a doctor.

As far as money is concerned, yes the cost is 12k to get in this program plus 5k to 6 k housing, but this program is worth every penny for me.

All the best!

27-35% pass rate wow. Thanks for the detailed review. Good luck with the rest of the semester, looks like you may not need it though.

Btw- the program is changing for us in 2016, there is only Molecular Bio LAB. I heard you guys have the lecture and not the lab. Someone on ValueMD informed me that this may give us more time. However I'm not too familiar with those lab concepts. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw- the program is changing for us in 2016, there is only Molecular Bio LAB. I heard you guys have the lecture and not the lab. Someone on ValueMD informed me that this may give us more time. However I'm not too familiar with those lab concepts. What do you think?

The good thing is all the lectures are recorded and video stream is put online , so you can watch it from home. I stopped going to classes @ except learning strategies where the attendance is required.

Today lot of people have been informed if they are below 3.0, that they should withdraw to redo program or their chances of getting through program is slim to none. Even people around 3.2 to 3.5 range have been issued warning. Unfortunately, this program require seriousness from day 1. You can not fall behind. I watched every lecture from home, and stopped going to campus to save me a commute timing.
I stopped cooking, and ordered my food, it usually comes out to same pricing if you buy groceries, You have be smart with your time. It is very tempting to go out with your friends for party, but warning is . Dont Do it. Hold on until you are done with finals, you will have enough time.

Be prepared to work crazy hard. This is not a joke program, require adequate amount of work. You will feel burned, but you need to stay focused on why you are here.

Any questions please post here, I will try to check this post frequently.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for this! It's the kind of review I've been looking for. It sounds incredibly hard but I'm super determined, and definitely do NOT plan on partying! I don't even drink. It's going to be nerd 24-7 for me.

4am though? I think I can manage studying until 2am, going off when I'd usually wake up.. How much sleep do you get a night? I think I can handle ~7 hours average, but not under 5 all week.., unless it's exam week. That's all I'm concerned about. I'm preparing my mind to put in max effort.

I am sleeping about 7 hours approx , enough sleep, But again, I Do not go to campus , because basically I can watch the recorded VIDEO lectures from home ---and pause and annotate. Lot of people didnt listen to me they kept going and keep wasting time.

If you go to school @ 8 in the morning wont be back until 5 pm. and You wont study until 8ish, and you can not reply on studying 4 hours per day. Each lecture require atleast 3.5 hour to consume information in one lecture, and you will have about 3 to 4 lectures per day.

Additionally, try to make yourself comfortable watching video lectures and go to SL (Supplement learning) sessions or DES (session run by previous students) to test your knowledge of material that how much you have learned.

Going to classes, and browsing on facebook and not learning = compelete waste of time, but if you go preprepared, different story. I am only telling you what worked for me :0 All the best

I do not know much about lab, since we have not taken it the lab part. But it seems like it wont be too hard.
1. Restriction mapping with restriction enzymes, and e.coli transformation are some experiments that would take most amount of time.

2. But I encourage you to read up on physio prior to coming here, the teacher is one of the worse you will expect, make sure sharp your physio action potentials for skeletal muscle AP, nerve AP, cardiac muscle AP, and Neuro muscular junction (like crystal clear), he is going to test you guys to extreme, be prepared for that part.

I do not know much about lab, since we have not taken it the lab part. But it seems like it wont be too hard.
1. Restriction mapping with restriction enzymes, and e.coli transformation are some experiments that would take most amount of time.

2. But I encourage you to read up on physio prior to coming here, the teacher is one of the worse you will expect, make sure sharp your physio action potentials for skeletal muscle AP, nerve AP, cardiac muscle AP, and Neuro muscular junction (like crystal clear), he is going to test you guys to extreme, be prepared for that part.
Luckily I'm taking a physiology course before coming. The textbook is by Silverthorne, is that the same one?

I thought maybe Id brush up on biochem pathways, or anatomy muscle origins and insertions for a base.

It's good to hear you get a decent amount of sleep. You're in the Grand Anse dorm, right? Are there study spaces in there? I just tend to study better in a spot other than my bedroom. It tends to keep me more alert. The idea of ordering food sounds like a time saver- cooking and grocery shopping drains hours out. Where do you order food? It's delivered? Or is it takeout nearby?

What are the SL and DES sessions like, how do they actually help you? You just go to test yourself on the lecture material? But how does someone test you?

I think I'll start going to lectures in person the first week and see how it works out. Sometimes I work better if I stay on campus but videos sound more efficient. Does the bus that goes back to Grand Anse run late?

Thank you for your posts- you've been one of the most informative on the program yet!

Luckily I'm taking a physiology course before coming. The textbook is by Silverthorne, is that the same one?

I thought maybe Id brush up on biochem pathways, or anatomy muscle origins and insertions for a base.

It's good to hear you get a decent amount of sleep. You're in the Grand Anse dorm, right? Are there study spaces in there? I just tend to study better in a spot other than my bedroom. It tends to keep me more alert. The idea of ordering food sounds like a time saver- cooking and grocery shopping drains hours out. Where do you order food? It's delivered? Or is it takeout nearby?

What are the SL and DES sessions like, how do they actually help you? You just go to test yourself on the lecture material? But how does someone test you?

I think I'll start going to lectures in person the first week and see how it works out. Sometimes I work better if I stay on campus but videos sound more efficient. Does the bus that goes back to Grand Anse run late?

Thank you for your posts- you've been one of the most informative on the program yet!

1. There are study rooms @ grand anse
2. Buses runs from 6 am morning to last bus at night is around 2:30 am
3. I order food from greek, they deliver on grand anse, and sometime i grab food on my way home
4. SL - gives u hand out --and ask you answer - ( it tells u where u at as far as material is concerned - DES- you get tips from previous students who took the program what to expect)
5. I didnt use a book - but I use the other med school website for resources
6. Try to find out what works you best within week 1 - or most by week 2 - after that its going to be too late to catch up :)

all the best

1. There are study rooms @ grand anse
2. Buses runs from 6 am morning to last bus at night is around 2:30 am
3. I order food from greek, they deliver on grand anse, and sometime i grab food on my way home
4. SL - gives u hand out --and ask you answer - ( it tells u where u at as far as material is concerned - DES- you get tips from previous students who took the program what to expect)
5. I didnt use a book - but I use the other med school website for resources
6. Try to find out what works you best within week 1 - or most by week 2 - after that its going to be too late to catch up :)

all the best

On your way home from campus you mean, don't you only go when you have to go to learning strategies? That's great the bus runs late, I'll probably end up taking it back to the dorm around 1-2am if I end up going to campus. If I have to go I'll just study there all day with the videos. But maybe I'll stay.

Yeah I'll have to see what works best the first week- or less!

Wow thanks for the information! Its extremely great to have current student's perspective on the program. What did you do with you cell phone plan? Are students living in double occupancy studios? Is there a kitchen in the studio? I have a great direct flight to Grenada but I would arrive a few days before dorms supposedly open....do you Medical321 know of any upperclassmen that will house students or is the campus open (i.e. library)? lol I could sleep somewhere on campus lol.

I was thinking of taking an online A&P free course for help too.....do you think the biochem info is close to what the new MCAT is testing?

I dont know about taking classes online -

Just watch videos on youtube
Physio (Do the following below)

Nerve AP
Cardiac AP
Neuro mascular junction
Cardiovascular physiology

Anatomy (Get the muscles Down )As much as possible, because you wont have time here - (If you get these down - You won half of your battle)

Biochem
Review glycolysis , Gluconeogenesis, glycogengensis, glycogenlysis, FA synthesis, Ketone synthesis, Cholestrol synthesis
-DONT FOCUS on structure (if u like chem - then go ahead ) BUT test is not on strutures - Try to memorize enzymes

Known little bit of reduction or oxidation (NAD+, FAD) etc

Do the ABOVE - You are going to be TOP of your class

Wow thanks for the information! Its extremely great to have current student's perspective on the program. What did you do with you cell phone plan? Are students living in double occupancy studios? Is there a kitchen in the studio? I have a great direct flight to Grenada but I would arrive a few days before dorms supposedly open....do you Medical321 know of any upperclassmen that will house students or is the campus open (i.e. library)? lol I could sleep somewhere on campus lol.

I dont have cell phone, I use google hangout app to call in USA for free - and I use facebook messenger to communicate with classmates. Dont know much about housing - I am moving off campus after this program anyway :) I will be living right outside of campus building , going to save 1/2 half of cost I would pay (but I am getting roommate)

Lot of people messaging me about biochem - here is my take on it - you decide

Dont use the textbook for biochem --- Honestly you will be wasting too much time - Go to youtube Make notes watching videos

What are amino acids?
Name all amino acids?
Classify into their groups? - hydrophobic, phillic, acidic, basic, Know their relevance!
What are enzymes, how are they made?
Myoglobin, vs hemoglobin

Glycolysis
Gluconeogenesis
PDH complex
TCA Cycle
Glyocgen (Gensis, and lysis)
Cholestrol synthesis
Ketone synthesis
FA Synthesis
FA oxidation (FA = Fatty acids)
Insulin/glucagon
CycliC AMP - Vs IP3 mechanism (PIP2 , DAG)

Do the videos on these and watch these, and make good notes before you come, and then synchronize the notes you get in class - There is no one can stop you from getting A

Best to u all

Just FYI for those of you planning to watch the lectures at home: in 2014 when I left the island to start clinicals they were really cracking down on people not attending lectures, and were making most of them mandatory via clicker questions. This *really* threw some people off their game, those that had been studying a particular way at home while not attending classes. Just keep in mind that the program likes to pull those kind of switches on you last minute. Stay informed via your fellow classmates and stay flexible.

Just FYI for those of you planning to watch the lectures at home: in 2014 when I left the island to start clinicals they were really cracking down on people not attending lectures, and were making most of them mandatory via clicker questions. This *really* threw some people off their game, those that had been studying a particular way at home while not attending classes. Just keep in mind that the program likes to pull those kind of switches on you last minute. Stay informed via your fellow classmates and stay flexible.

I think Ben is right. Attendance is required in some classes such as learning strategies.

Also School of medicine had made compulsory 80 percent attendance requirement in the classes. (I am not sure about this program though, but school of medicine yes)

When did the make the new attendance requirement in SOM? In the past year? Stinks :(
I think Ben is right. Attendance is required in some classes such as learning strategies.

Also School of medicine had made compulsory 80 percent attendance requirement in the classes. (I am not sure about this program though, but school of medicine yes)

I actually got offered a chance to do MSAP instead of Charter (it's 5 weeks online intense/condensed version of everything in foundations) so looks like I'll be forced to study it all anyway.. though id mainly focus on the biochem paths and muscles in anatomy.. One student told me that last run only 1/70 passed MSAP though so I wouldn't mind doing Charter. If anyone sees this they can message me about how it went- I'm starting on Monday and will finish by Dec. 16

I actually got offered a chance to do MSAP instead of Charter (it's 5 weeks online intense/condensed version of everything in foundations) so looks like I'll be forced to study it all anyway.. though id mainly focus on the biochem paths and muscles in anatomy.. One student told me that last run only 1/70 passed MSAP though so I wouldn't mind doing Charter. If anyone sees this they can message me about how it went- I'm starting on Monday and will finish by Dec. 16

All the best - I have heard that program is intense - dont procrastinate.

As far as attendance is required -- there are some lectures where they do clicker quizes for like 1 point etc == but as far I know attendance is not mandatory in the charter except learning strategies , anatomy labs and buzzes.

Hey Redkawolf,
How has your experience been in MSAP? Do you recommend it over the charter foundation? What is the tuition costs for MSAP?

MSAP is free. I'm only one week in and so far I've been familiar with all the topics so I cant gauge how difficult it is yet. I'll update in a month. Everyone says this is very intense and nearly impossible- it's true that it takes up most of your time but it's definitely doable. Just study for hours almost every day; you'll be doing it soon regardless. When I write in my course evaluation I'm going to suggest the quizzes be longer. Less questions means it's easier to mess up. Overall so far it's a pretty good online class- straightforward layout with no tricks. Be prepared for a truckload of material.

MSAP isn't something you can choose to apply to, they'll either make you do MSAP or have you go straight into Charter. No choice. The 5 week course is basically Foundations condensed... But I'm considering doing Foundations even if I pass MSAP anyway because I thought I was going to. I feel I'm more prepared for it than term 1. Extra money tho.. I'll think about it.
Thanks Redkawolf,
I had my interview with SGU about a week ago and am still waiting to hear back from them. I am hoping for a straight admission. Can you tell me how long did it take for you hear back from them after interview? Did they offer you both charters and MSAP? If you dont mind me asking what are your stats? I can PM you mine.

Thanks Redkawolf,
I had my interview with SGU about a week ago and am still waiting to hear back from them. I am hoping for a straight admission. Can you tell me how long did it take for you hear back from them after interview? Did they offer you both charters and MSAP? If you dont mind me asking what are your stats? I can PM you mine.

I was under the impression I was going straight to Charter. You can't choose to do MSAP over Charter. But you can opt out of MSAP if you want because if you don't pass it you do Charter anyway. As for my interview it took about 2 weeks to hear back. PM me about stats.

I came back to this thread to give an earlier update..

Currently in the middle of Week 2 of MSAP and the rumors turned out to be true- it's crazy. I did well on the first quiz compared to most because I recently had classes on topics like cell signaling and the intro molec bio wasn't bad. This week we have to learn the respiration pathways in detail and their regulation (glycolysis, TCA cycle, PDH complex, shuttles, electron transport chain etc.) both anatomy and physiology of the musculoskeletal system, the peripheral nervous system w/ details of the brachial plexus with all innervations, and the neurotransmitters and hormones. Plus some other topics. You kinda don't know what topics they'll cover until the start of each week. Still possible but say goodbye to your life 100% lol. I can say with certainty now that most people won't pass. Good training for med school though.

Last edited:
I concur with Redkawolf. I'm currently in the MSAP fall 2016 class and from the looks of it 29% of us will pass (Class off 52, as of week 3, 4 have dropped, 15 are passing). The class average for the first 3 quizzes were 74%, 61% and 75%, which isn't horrible. Unfortunately, 80% is passing. It is definitely a good look into the future of SGU. To be successful, you'll need to commit your full attention to the program. Don't try to work or take other classes. I feel it's an unrealistic amount to learn alone for people that have never had biochem, anatomy or physiology. They have weekly review sessions which can be helpful if you get lucky. Luckily I had biochem before so the information wasn't foreign to me. However, I do feel if I pass this program, I'll be ready for the 1st term in knowing what to expect. Their teaching style is much different than what I'm use to at my university. It's definitely a self learning type of environment. Good luck to everyone.

Update: Actually, a lot more people passed than we thought would. Maybe about 50% It looked like a decent amount. They lowered the overall passing grade to 75% instead of 80%. I didn't need it myself but it definitely put me MUCH more at ease since I was near the edge. The highest grade on the final was only 86% and it's worth half.

After I took it I felt anxious until they announced the scores. I wasn't even sure if I made it. But now I think getting through MSAP is definitely achievable with hard work. Not "impossible" at all as earlier groups taking it had said. Thankfully for us we came in after some program adjustments. Like Jag said it's easier if you've had some anatomy, biochem and/or physio background already. But everyone is still learning new stuff.

Glad I'll be starting Term 1 now! After all that I decided I definitely wouldn't want to do a whole extra semester of Charter Foundation. MSAP is what it is.. medical school assessment. So I'm ready.

Last edited:
Update: Actually, a lot more people passed than we thought would. Maybe about 50% It looked like a decent amount. They lowered the overall passing grade to 75% instead of 80%. I didn't need it myself but it definitely put me MUCH more at ease since I was near the edge. The highest grade on the final was only 86% and it's worth half.

After I took it I felt anxious until they announced the scores. I wasn't even sure if I made it. But now I think getting through MSAP is definitely achievable with hard work. Not "impossible" at all as earlier groups taking it had said. Thankfully for us we came in after some program adjustments. Like Jag said it's easier if you've had some anatomy, biochem and/or physio background already. But everyone is still learning new stuff.

Glad I'll be starting Term 1 now! After all that I decided I definitely wouldn't want to do a whole extra semester of Charter Foundation. MSAP is what it is.. medical school assessment. So I'm ready.

Thanks for the information, Redkawolf! I was accepted into the MSAP for August 2016. Is there anything you'd recommend to do/ brush up on to prepare for the course?

Thanks for the information, Redkawolf! I was accepted into the MSAP for August 2016. Is there anything you'd recommend to do/ brush up on to prepare for the course?

Hey np! I'm almost half way through term 1 now and I'm really glad I completed and passed MSAP, it will mostly help with biochem for the first couple weeks. There's nothing you can do to prepare for it, this is the preparation for the real beast. Just make sure you study every day (one day a week off is good) and don't plan on doing much else- no working or taking a vacation. I started taking multiple days off and I wouldn't recommend that. A slight chem background is all you really need since everything is new material.

Good luck!

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance. Do you mind sharing your stats with me (science GPA and MCAT)? If you'd feel more comfortable sending them in a private message, please consider. I am asking because I am waiting to hear back from SGU.

So are there multiple sessions of the MSAP program during the year?

So are there multiple sessions of the MSAP program during the year?

I just got accepted into sgu for the MSAP program. Its a month long program before every starting class.

Not sure if anyone else said It but if you are accepted in to MSAP and fail, you are automatically entered into the charter program.

I interview this week for the CFP program starting in January. I've seen some students post their recommendations on topics to study before starting the semester. Does anyone have specific youtube channels they would suggest? Would Khan Academy suffice? I just don't want to watch random youtube videos that might not correlate with SGU's material. Thanks! :)

For anyone who has taken the MSAP course:
Was the course difficult because of the sheer amount of detail and material you had to learn in such a short period of time? Or were the quizzes and tests difficult? And if so, what made them difficult? Thanks!

The same advice goes pre-med school as it does pre-residency. Do not study. The best thing you can do is prepare yourself physically and mentally so that when you start you can do your best. You have plenty of time to study once things start. I did CFP 4 years ago and am now a PGY-1.

I just got accepted into sgu for the MSAP program. Its a month long program before every starting class.

Not sure if anyone else said It but if you are accepted in to MSAP and fail, you are automatically entered into the charter program.
Hey! How was the MSAP program in terms of difficulty? Is it possible to work and do the coursework? And how were the exams?

I interview this week for the CFP program starting in January. I've seen some students post their recommendations on topics to study before starting the semester. Does anyone have specific youtube channels they would suggest? Would Khan Academy suffice? I just don't want to watch random youtube videos that might not correlate with SGU's material. Thanks! :)

Hi Sanah23, I was wondering if you had the opportunity to start and complete the CFP program? I am considering attending this program in the Fall of this year. Thank you in advance.