sgu c/o 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhyYeahWhy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread for applicants to St George's class of 2022. Keep updated on when people have been accepted and what's next. Enjoy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll get started I was interviewed in late July and am awaiting a response. I have already been accepted to Ross for January 2018. Their deposit date is September 1st but sgu is my top choice. I really don't know what to do wait I yes... Has anyone else been accepted to sgu yet?

I have my interview Monday and need to complete 100 hours of large animal experience with DVM before Jan 1 for SGU. From other forums, they said it takes 4-8 weeks for a reply from SGU about acceptance. You can try emailing Krista about approx time you should hear a reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll get started I was interviewed in late July and am awaiting a response. I have already been accepted to Ross for January 2018. Their deposit date is September 1st but sgu is my top choice. I really don't know what to do wait I yes... Has anyone else been accepted to sgu yet?
You might shoot them an email letting them know you will have to pick Ross if they can't get back to you, but that you would prefer SGU. That may or may not help but it's a thought. We don't like losing good candidates to the competition (Ross was very upset/disappointed when I accepted with SGU and called to cancel my interview all those years ago)

I'm also applying here. I still have a few more application to finish before I start submitting.
How quick from the time you submitted did you hear back for an interview?

@Rozzieray I heard back within 2-3 days. I scheduled my interview the following week. your interviewer, depending on area, may be first time interviewing someone since most the interviews won't be until october. he/she may tell you if youll be recommended as well and offer future mentor assistance - mine did

If anyone was wondering, I received an email about them getting my interview. If they haven't sent a confirmation about receiving the interview, I'd definitely shoot them an email (mine only took a week). For the final decision, it takes 6-8 weeks for the Admission Committee.

Reaching out as a current (term 3) vet student at SGU if you guys have any questions. Whether it be about island life or the application process as I experienced it.

Applied 4/6. Interview invitation 4/20. Accepted 5/11.

I know that the application process is one of the most stressful times in your life. But know that they are working as fast as they can to get your application processed. Also Krista is amazing... like the freaking best.

Reactions: 1 users
My application was just verified this morning and already got an interview invite! Haha what were the interviews like for those of you who have had it already?

@BigRedEquine The interview was basically them reading off from a series of questions. They are required to type in the responses you give them (I don't really think thats best way to interview because we went into giant discussions sometimes where he didn't type things out until after I left). I'd suggestion going into the interview with knowledge of how to pay for veterinary school, questions about island life and the school, overall questions about their experience as a veterinary and veterinary student from island school, and overall knowledge of the veterinary profession as a whole. They mostly wanted to know that you've experienced the upsides and downsides of the profession and are aware of the financial, dingus clients, tough decisions, and overall struggles of becoming a veterinary. If you have things about your grades you'd like to point out, I'd add it into the interview casually (I have zero family support, abusive family situations where I was physically hit and almost had to take restraining order out on my mom and was sexually assaulted during undergrad -- I didn't go about being a victim and blaming my grades on it.. I mostly just said yes this happened but due to these things I've been on my own and know how to compartmentalize things and deal with depression/anxiety as well as help people around the world who watch my gaming stream with similar issues).

My interviewer had never done one before so it was a learning experience for both of us. The interviews are done by recent graduates. By the end of interview, he/she may even offer to be a mentor of sorts if you have any further questions. They may even outright tell you they'll recommend you at the end.

Reactions: 1 users
Do January applicants tend to hear sooner? I had my interview on 9/12 and got an email on the 19th that they received my interview responses. I'm hoping I hear back in less than 4-6 weeks, because January is coming up soon!

SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW!!! Just got an interview invite! Step one! :soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to start a thread for applicants to St George's class of 2022. Keep updated on when people have been accepted and what's next. Enjoy.
Glad you started the thread!!! I start term 1 in January and can't wait for all the fun to commence!

You might shoot them an email letting them know you will have to pick Ross if they can't get back to you, but that you would prefer SGU. That may or may not help but it's a thought. We don't like losing good candidates to the competition (Ross was very upset/disappointed when I accepted with SGU and called to cancel my interview all those years ago)

I did exactly that, let them know I was accepted to Ross and they expedited my application. I got in! and I didn't have to lose money sending in my deposit for Ross :)

Reaching out as a current (term 3) vet student at SGU if you guys have any questions. Whether it be about island life or the application process as I experienced it.

Applied 4/6. Interview invitation 4/20. Accepted 5/11.

I know that the application process is one of the most stressful times in your life. But know that they are working as fast as they can to get your application processed. Also Krista is amazing... like the freaking best.

Thanks for Posting! I am heading there in January and really can't even soak it in that I finally got in...I'm 30. I of course am worried about money and flying home will cost too much so I was wondering...what do most people do and is it possible to stay over winter/summer breaks?

@WhyYeahWhy From talking to current and recent graduates, theres a storage place you put your things at end of school and fly home. I'm sure if you're not living in dorms, you'd be able to stay year round without having to fly home. my info is from their experience though. it may have changed to a degree.

Thanks for Posting! I am heading there in January and really can't even soak it in that I finally got in...I'm 30. I of course am worried about money and flying home will cost too much so I was wondering...what do most people do and is it possible to stay over winter/summer breaks?

Most people go home over breaks though there are some, mostly people who've brought pets to the island, that stay here over breaks. It's entirely possible to stay here, I'm not positive on how staying *on* campus works but there's plenty of places for rent off campus that you'd be able to look into too

Hi Kim :D

@WhyYeahWhy Most students do go home for breaks since its a nice change in scenery plus shopping for the upcoming semesters. From my experiences and my classmates, most off housing options have room for storage before you move in. If you were to stay on island during breaks there are very few options for work since it requires sponsorship by a local business (hard to come by.) You can probably find odd jobs pet sitting for students who go home for break for some income. Another option would be applying for the Island Veterinary Scholars program where you get paid for doing research.
Island Veterinary Scholars Program | St. George's University

Hi Kim :D

@WhyYeahWhy Most students do go home for breaks since its a nice change in scenery plus shopping for the upcoming semesters. From my experiences and my classmates, most off housing options have room for storage before you move in. If you were to stay on island during breaks there are very few options for work since it requires sponsorship by a local business (hard to come by.) You can probably find odd jobs pet sitting for students who go home for break for some income. Another option would be applying for the Island Veterinary Scholars program where you get paid for doing research.
Island Veterinary Scholars Program | St. George's University
Hey, Good guessing! I know my user makes it difficult.... not. I'm still trying to place your user. Lol struggle

Hey guys! I also got an interview invite. I'd greatly appreciate some advice on how to prepare. Past applicants, do you remember what kind of questions were asked? Thank you!

I was interviewed last week. It is mostly very generic stuff. Explain volunteer exp if any, what skill set do you bring to SGU, and what are some issues facing the veterinary community. Those are some key ones I was asked.

Mine was super casual, my interviewer was even making jokes about how some of the questions seemed kind of dumb haha. Definitely be ready to say some personal strengths and weaknesses and struggles that veterinarians face today and also know about how you will pay for vet school

Mine was super casual, my interviewer was even making jokes about how some of the questions seemed kind of dumb haha. Definitely be ready to say some personal strengths and weaknesses and struggles that veterinarians face today and also know about how you will pay for vet school
Hi BigRedEquine! I just received an interview notification today and I was wondering what types of questions they asked you during yours? How did you prepare for it? :happy:

Hey guys! I also got an interview invite. I'd greatly appreciate some advice on how to prepare. Past applicants, do you remember what kind of questions were asked? Thank you!

They'll ask you what you know about the school. How will you handle moving to another country so far from home. What other schools you applied to? Why SGU? I'd ask questions about what they thought about their experience SGU, how prepared they felt going to clinics, what they did after they graduated. My SGU interview was one of the more relaxed interviews I've done over the years.

Does anyone know anything about SGU requiring at least 150 hours of large animal experience prior to matriculation? I was never informed of this and neither can i find anything about this specifically on their website. My interviewer was the one that told me this today and he said it was a new rule now that they are requiring. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this?

Does anyone know anything about SGU requiring at least 150 hours of large animal experience prior to matriculation? I was never informed of this and neither can i find anything about this specifically on their website. My interviewer was the one that told me this today and he said it was a new rule now that they are requiring. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this?
I got an invitation for an interview and they also said to get 200 hours of large animal experience to be competitive. So I guess its a new thing.

@sleung906 it's a new thing they're doing to add with the interview. I'm required to do 100 hours which ironically is what I'm doing rn for 2 weeks. it's hard (at least in my area) to find someone to ride with for large animal experience. equine vets tend to be more busy in spring. If you find something set up, you can email them wit letter stating you're gonna do your hours just not by jan 1 and finish the reject/accept process as if you already did them. I can send you the email about this if you haven't received it yet.

@sleung906 it's a new thing they're doing to add with the interview. I'm required to do 100 hours which ironically is what I'm doing rn for 2 weeks. it's hard (at least in my area) to find someone to ride with for large animal experience. equine vets tend to be more busy in spring. If you find something set up, you can email them wit letter stating you're gonna do your hours just not by jan 1 and finish the reject/accept process as if you already did them. I can send you the email about this if you haven't received it yet.

Yes, if you don’t mind can you pm me the content of the email? I wonder why I never received an email about it.. This makes me nervous because it is also very difficult to find large animal experience in my area so I hope this doesn’t jeopardize my application.

@sleung906

For those of you who were requested to earn additional hours of animal experience, the Committee on Admission will be giving provisional determinations upon request. If you are committed to completing the hours, you may submit a letter of request, which should include either your current status (hours already earned with the intent to continue to earn) or your intent to earn the additional hours at a later date. This letter can be submitted directly to myself [email protected]. Upon acceptance into our program, you will then be required to earn the recommended animal experience prior to matriculation.

If you no longer wish to enhance your application any further, please request that your application be reviewed as is.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at any time!

Krista Grace
Assistant Director of Admission
School of Veterinary Medicine
USS on Behalf of St. George's University
E: [email protected]

Wow this is new. St. George's just got re accredited and there are an overwhelming amount of applications for incoming classes. They're probably implementing this new things to better pick applicants =/

I honestly feel like it better way to get rounded applicants. It also helps admission wise with other schools too.

I guess you're right about applying to other schools. Realistically vet schools treat you like you've never worked with animals. You start from square 1. Personally speaking, I know i'm not going into large animal, and coming from a big city large animal experience was like impossible to find. The hours requirement would've been a massive deal breaker.

@Vannandy I can understand that. I'm so use to things not going perfect that I just expect something undesirable to happen at this point. only one out of 10 large vets actually replied and didnt require extra paper work or commitment of 4-5months. if I had more than 100 hrs to do, I'd prob double think it because I work full time and have zero family support. Bills and rent still got to be paid lol. luckily my job down a vet cus of a baby so I have pto and low business window to take off for 2 weeks without coming back to stressed doctors (some of our employees are special)

Hi everyone! Would the lucky applicants who have received interviews mind to share when their application was submitted and academic stats? Thanks!!

Hey y'all!
I had an interview about 4 weeks ago and am still waiting to hear back. I just emailed Krista Grace and asked for an update on my application; she told me it would probably be another 3-4 weeks to hear anything. Has anyone been accepted for the Jan 2018 class?

Are those of you stating you have already had an interview applying for the January class? Has anyone already interviewed for the Aug/Sept class of 2022?

I interviewed on Aug 21 for Aug 2022! Eight weeks will be on Monday so hopefully I'll hear soon, but I think they're busy with January applicants. Has anyone else heard about Aug?

I interviewed on Aug 21 for Aug 2022! Eight weeks will be on Monday so hopefully I'll hear soon, but I think they're busy with January applicants. Has anyone else heard about Aug?
What are your stats like if you don't mind me asking??

They could be better so I'm a bit worried if all the other applicants have amazing stats, but my undergrad GPA is 3.5, grad school is 3.9, GRE was 157/158/4. I've worked in emergency and small animal vet clinics for 5 years, but my large animal experience is lacking.

How about yours?

Are those of you stating you have already had an interview applying for the January class? Has anyone already interviewed for the Aug/Sept class of 2022?
Nope I had an interview about two weeks ago for the August class!

vmcas verified 8/15. interview invite 8/16. interview 8/21. interview confirmation received 8/26.

my cumulative gpa was 3.40. my gre scores are below average (don't remember them off top of my head). i have alot of random veterinary and animal experience hours from small animal to zoo animals. I choose to work for clinic for yr and pay loans than apply first cycle I could.

For anyone who interviewed already, did you wear a suit (pant suit/dress suit etc)? My friend who went to their med school said he wore business causal, but I want to make sure I am dressed professionally enough. Did everyone wear a suit? Thanks so much! :)

I wore dress pants with nice shirt. you're basically wearing what you would if you was interviewing for a job

Just received the best email of my life! Accepted! Looking forward to meeting everyone in Aug 2018!!!

And I also dressed business casual, I would have felt so uncomfortable in suit.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if we're accepted to start in Fall 2018 if we have the option to defer until January 2019?

Just my opinion, starting in the fall is nicer because it's more in line with clinicals back in the states (if that's where you want to do them.)

I'm a follower of the philosophy where you can't overdress for an interview. Only under dress =P

Granted an interview! Nervous b/c it is via Skype:xf: I've never had an interview over skype!! Has anyone else Skyped for their interview???

Granted an interview! Nervous b/c it is via Skype:xf: I've never had an interview over skype!! Has anyone else Skyped for their interview???

Skype interviews are great. PJ pants, professional top ;)