SGU August Class 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a foundations medical student at SGU and here is my blog (recently started).

www.keiexperience.wordpress.com

If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me. I literally just went through the admissions process so I may be of some assistance! good luck and congrats to those who have already been accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Im Jamaican and I did my interview today. I won't say it was laid back in the fullest sensecof the word, but I was prepared, so it wasn't too difficult. I did have the jitters however. My first task was to choose one essay out if three to write about in a 10 minute period. My interviewer wasn't too meticulous about the timing so I finished in good time without feeling too stressed. I don't remember all three, but the one u did was "Who is the most influencial person in your life?"
Following this I was asked about a range of topics: why I chose my particular undergrad degree, why I want to be a doctor, what are some of the ethical dilemmas that pervade medicine currently. I was asked to speak on my volunteerism and also about my financial plan for school. Just review typical med school interview questions and you should be fine.... I hope to hear back with sone good news soon! My interviewer said it could be as early as next week, but its based on how early he gets his documentation in. Hope it helps!
I got in!!!!! So this is one week two days from my interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! So this is my first post ever on student doctor, I actually just made an account! So I am applying for SGU's August 2016 class. I sent in my application 2/20, was asked to interview on 3/9 and just had my interview on 3/15. I interviewed with a graduate and it seemed to go pretty well! Hopefully I hear from them soon, it seems like a bunch of people hear in around a week? Should I call them if I don't hear after a week? I don't want to be too pushy..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! So this is my first post ever on student doctor, I actually just made an account! So I am applying for SGU's August 2016 class. I sent in my application 2/20, was asked to interview on 3/9 and just had my interview on 3/15. I interviewed with a graduate and it seemed to go pretty well! Hopefully I hear from them soon, it seems like a bunch of people hear in around a week? Should I call them if I don't hear after a week? I don't want to be too pushy..

I hadn't heard anything after about 2 weeks post-interview, so I called my admissions counselor. I heard back within 24 hours that I was accepted. Take from that anecdote what you will.

Reactions: 1 user
When did you apply and interview?
This isn't a thread about DO vs Allo or US vs Caribbean. It was created to find other people in SGUSOM August 2016 entering class. Perhaps you can conduct your arguments in a different place? Anyways I'm hoping to start in August at SGU. I haven't received my acceptance letter yet though.

Hi!! I am in the same position. I interviewed on 3/9 and still haven't heard anything back? I don't know if I should follow-up

I would absolutely follow up! I called on 3/24 to ask the status of my application and the woman said "you never received a phone call or email? Because you got in..." very anti-climactic but the point of the story is to call them!
Hi!! I am in the same position. I interviewed on 3/9 and still haven't heard anything back? I don't know if I should follow-up

I hadn't heard anything after about 2 weeks post-interview, so I called my admissions counselor. I heard back within 24 hours that I was accepted. Take from that anecdote what you will.
Thank you for the advice! I called them and they told me I was accepted on the phone!! Does the school ever provide a general list of what to bring? Or is there a thread that talks about that? Just some suggestions or rough ideas would be helpful!

Thank you for the advice! I called them and they told me I was accepted on the phone!! Does the school ever provide a general list of what to bring? Or is there a thread that talks about that? Just some suggestions or rough ideas would be helpful!

You can probably find lists on student blogs. In general, I think people tend to bring too much but I prefer to travel light so I'm almost certainly biased. What you need largely depends on your personal habits, and whether you're planning to live on campus or not. Most things are available at Spiceland IGA, but if you have particular brand loyalty to a hygiene product you should probably bring that yourself. Off the top of my head, some things I would suggest bringing:

- A good poncho with a hood, and a backpack cover. Grenada is prone to very heavy storms with strong winds and an umbrella just doesn't cut it.
- Extra charging cords for your electronic devices. You can have things shipped there but it is very expensive and you don't want to be without your laptop. The high humidity and crappy outlets destroy electronics.
- A large USB thumb drive and a portable hard drive. You're going to be saving LOTS of image-heavy Powerpoints. I would strongly suggest you take notes electronically, either a laptop or tablet. Don't use paper if you can help it. It's expensive and, again, the climate destroys it.
- A transformer if you're living off campus. Campus has US and EU outlets, off-campus is almost exclusively EU outlets. You can buy these at the hardware store on the island but they're expensive.
- Pharmacy-type things: medications/vitamins/supplements/prophylaxis etc. There is a pharmacy near campus but they have super limited drugs and the campus clinic sucks. Condoms are available but Grenadians are super touchy about sex, including the physicians. Bring anti-diarrheals, it's pretty much inevitable at some point and you don't want to miss an important exam because the pharmacy was out. For ladies, if you can bring some Abx for UTIs and some antifungals for yeast infections, they take FOREVER to get through the clinic.
- Sunglasses.
- A light sweater/pullover/jumper that you can wear during class. They keep the lecture halls unbelievably cold and you'll acclimate to the warm weather pretty quickly.
- A small box of exam gloves for Term 1 cadaver lab. You will instantly make friends if you have them day 1, and they are super expensive from the pharmacy.
- 1 nice conservative outfit. You will want it for your white coat ceremony, for practical CS exams, and for the occasional evening out. Get 4 or 5 people together, get dressed up and go somewhere nice like the Beach House, Laluna, or Aquarium at least once per term.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them honestly. Congrats!

Thank you so much! I do just have one more question. Which types of rooms are the Med students usually in when staying on campus? I found a list of all the different types of rooms on the website but was not sure if some were only for premedical/ prevetinary students and others were for graduate, medical, and vetinary students. Also, are the students staying in each hall separated by the program they are attending, or is each hall a mixture of everyone on campus?
You can probably find lists on student blogs. In general, I think people tend to bring too much but I prefer to travel light so I'm almost certainly biased. What you need largely depends on your personal habits, and whether you're planning to live on campus or not. Most things are available at Spiceland IGA, but if you have particular brand loyalty to a hygiene product you should probably bring that yourself. Off the top of my head, some things I would suggest bringing:

- A good poncho with a hood, and a backpack cover. Grenada is prone to very heavy storms with strong winds and an umbrella just doesn't cut it.
- Extra charging cords for your electronic devices. You can have things shipped there but it is very expensive and you don't want to be without your laptop. The high humidity and crappy outlets destroy electronics.
- A large USB thumb drive and a portable hard drive. You're going to be saving LOTS of image-heavy Powerpoints. I would strongly suggest you take notes electronically, either a laptop or tablet. Don't use paper if you can help it. It's expensive and, again, the climate destroys it.
- A transformer if you're living off campus. Campus has US and EU outlets, off-campus is almost exclusively EU outlets. You can buy these at the hardware store on the island but they're expensive.
- Pharmacy-type things: medications/vitamins/supplements/prophylaxis etc. There is a pharmacy near campus but they have super limited drugs and the campus clinic sucks. Condoms are available but Grenadians are super touchy about sex, including the physicians. Bring anti-diarrheals, it's pretty much inevitable at some point and you don't want to miss an important exam because the pharmacy was out. For ladies, if you can bring some Abx for UTIs and some antifungals for yeast infections, they take FOREVER to get through the clinic.
- Sunglasses.
- A light sweater/pullover/jumper that you can wear during class. They keep the lecture halls unbelievably cold and you'll acclimate to the warm weather pretty quickly.
- A small box of exam gloves for Term 1 cadaver lab. You will instantly make friends if you have them day 1, and they are super expensive from the pharmacy.
- 1 nice conservative outfit. You will want it for your white coat ceremony, for practical CS exams, and for the occasional evening out. Get 4 or 5 people together, get dressed up and go somewhere nice like the Beach House, Laluna, or Aquarium at least once per term.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them honestly. Congrats!

Thank you so much! I do just have one more question. Which types of rooms are the Med students usually in when staying on campus? I found a list of all the different types of rooms on the website but was not sure if some were only for premedical/ prevetinary students and others were for graduate, medical, and vetinary students. Also, are the students staying in each hall separated by the program they are attending, or is each hall a mixture of everyone on campus?

I'm not entirely positive about the room situation as I never lived on campus. I believe for Term 1 the students are in shared bedrooms, there are 2 beds in a single room. For the later terms there is a lottery for the nicer dorms. The vast majority of students on campus are for the medical school, so it's mostly just med students in the dorms. I'm not sure if the vet students have a specific dorm that they're housed in. To be honest I don't think I met a single vet student the whole time I was there, their lecture buildings are kind of set apart from the rest of campus so outside of lunch I'm not sure there's much chance for students to cross paths.

Number of students accepted are much larger at SGU than US schools. If this is my chance to be an MD then I'm taking it. I'm not going to let myself get down because of statistics. I'm aware of the challenges. I see this as a wonderful opportunity and I'm happy I got in. Yes it will be very challenging, yes the odds are against me. But if you knew what I have been through, I shouldn't even be alive. The statistical odds have always been against me my whole life so this isn't any different. To each their own.

WOW! Good for you. I am in the same situation and it can be discouraging to hear disparaging comments about schools in the Caribbean when you have waited for what seems like all your life, to get into medical school. I agree....take your chances (cos it seems like a reasonable one to take) and go for it. You will do great just judging from your determination. All the best

BTW, anyone going to AUA in fall 2016? i'll like to hear form you.

Thanks a lot.

Did you call your admission counselor or the admission's department? I e-mailed my counsellor and she said she hasn't heard anything from the admission committee yet.
I would absolutely follow up! I called on 3/24 to ask the status of my application and the woman said "you never received a phone call or email? Because you got in..." very anti-climactic but the point of the story is to call them!

="SteffLonDon, post: 17571084, member: 756963"]I would absolutely follow up! I called on 3/24 to ask the status of my application and the woman said "you never received a phone call or email? Because you got in..." very anti-climactic but the point of the story is to call them![/QUOTE]
I have

So all the posts i've seen are of us citizens getting accepted to the MD program so i don't even know if i should be here but a i am an indian student and just got admission to SGU 5 year premed + MD course and will be very grateful if i could get in touch with anyone in the same situation
anyways congrats to all of you who got accepted :)

So all the posts i've seen are of us citizens getting accepted to the MD program so i don't even know if i should be here but a i am an indian student and just got admission to SGU 5 year premed + MD course and will be very grateful if i could get in touch with anyone in the same situation
anyways congrats to all of you who got accepted :)
Hi!! I am an Indian citizen as well. I just finished my pre-med from the US. I called yesterday and was told I a admitted as well. I am just waiting for the official letter.

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone starting this term, be optimistic and stay focused...

Last edited:
Is anyone still waiting on admission to the August 2016 class?

I was granted an interview on a Wednesday, scheduled the interview for the next day (Thursday) and then Friday at work I was accepted to SGU. This was in April of this year

Applied beginning of Sept 2015
Interviewed 1/8/16
Accepted 1/26/16

Very excited, but uncertain, scared and nervous. I have a husband, kids, house and dogs. Have a lot of planning to do in a short amount of time. Looking to sell the house, looking for private schooling for my 14 yr old, house to rent, car to buy, lottery numbers to win? ;)
Very much looking forward to the experience of living there. I have a friend that's doing his rotations now and a soon-to-be cousin that just graduated from surgical residency that went there. I hear nothing but great things.
How is it going so far?