Sexual assault leading to poor semesters

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped out of college a long time ago due to being victim to a violent sexual assault. I tried to go back to school for several years, and I ended with a very very low GPA. Eventually I was given a medical withdrawal for every semester I attempted.

However, I was not informed that I had to seek an additional appeal for my academic probation and warning. So now my transcript is full of W's, with "academic probation" and "warning" at the bottom of two semesters.

I was hoping to not have to explain the situation in specifics to AMCAS as it was, and still is a very troubling issue for me.

I of course do not want to go against the rules, and I noticed that I have to report institutional action.

Does this apply even if I have a full withdrawal from the school?
If I have to report it, how can I even begin to explain it?

Any advice on how to handle this would be wonderful.

I don't want to be "rape girl" and I really don't want to be defined by one night in my past. Otherwise, I am a very, very good applicant.

I don't know the answer to your question, we'll see what others suggest. Perhaps you can simply state that you had "personal problems" that led to the withdrawals, but that these issues have been completely resolved?

Members don't see this ad.

You were the victim of violent crime. Congratulations on your recovery.

I understand you wanting to put this behind you. Unfortunately, even if your academic record were amended, there would still be the possibility of the now "empty" semesters and eventual withdrawal being brought up at interviews. I would hope that a simple "I was recovering from a serious physical assault" would be enough. If not, then "I have put it behind me and prefer not to give the offender any more thought" should do.

If you want to get your college records changed, I would suggest that perhaps getting a sympathetic lawyer to handle it for you would be easier, and possibly more effective, than trying to do it yourself. If you go to the lawyer with what evidence you have (and if you did not report it to police, then a statement from you under oath plus any medical records would do instead), then the lawyer can do any arguing with your college on your behalf, which should be a lot less stressful for you and may get a better outcome. If you were not informed at the time about the procedural requirements, that gives your lawyer something on which to hang the request for a review.

I would hope that your college, if given the facts about the crime against you, and the way in which you have overcome it and turned yourself into a very good candidate for medical school, would be sympathetic to a review of your record.

Reactions: 1 user