septoplasty in mild OSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thepretender67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often can patients actually discontinue cpap after a septoplasty to fix a deviated septum? Do you feel the evidence for this surgery is adequate or are many of these done unnecessarily?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel it's more for snoring than frank apnea. It can help the person breathe better at night and may reduce the pressures needed. Overall, it's good to have something cosmetically and functionally corrected while improving the quality of life.

what about rhinitis? Can rhinitis in itself cause someone to have OSA? Ie. I have a patient that states he gets exhausted and occasionally wakes up in the middle of the night , but this only occurs when he has a runny nose. Has not really responded to CPAP or nasal steroids. Does this make any sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
what about rhinitis? Can rhinitis in itself cause someone to have OSA? Ie. I have a patient that states he gets exhausted and occasionally wakes up in the middle of the night , but this only occurs when he has a runny nose. Has not really responded to CPAP or nasal steroids. Does this make any sense?

Perhaps allergy/immunology consult for allergies for post-nasal drip which is unaddressed by steroids? Empirically trying higher dosages/combining antihistamines to alleviate post-nasal drip?

Nasal drainage would most likely contribute to snoring and flow limitations. OSA is simply summed as too much anatomy and too much gravity.

what did the psg show? AHI? O2 nadir? Is there a positional component?