Self-Teach Physics for the 2017 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.ATS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, just a general question over the physics portion of the new MCAT.

I am currently planning on taking the MCAT in September of this year during the beginning of my junior year (2017). The only pre-requisite classes I have yet to take are Physics I/II. Other than that, I have completed all the major pre-requisites for the MCAT.

I am wondering if self-teaching physics using the Khan academy videos and Kaplan book as a primary resources is feasible while studying the other material? If anyone has self-taught physics, what was your strategy and resources?

If it helps any, here is some of my academic background: I took physics in highschool, and I did marginally well but lack any major retention of concepts other than titles of words. I am generally good at self-study when it comes to biological/chemical/biochemical topics, but I have never self-taught a math related topic.

As of now, I have no conflicts this summer and should be able to devote about 6-10 hours a day of content review in June and early July and begin exam practice mid July through August. Furthermore, I have a fellow student who took his MCAT in September of 2016 to use as a semi-resource for any physic-content related questions.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions! It is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, it's possible. As with other science subjects, the level of detail you need to know for the MCAT will be less than the level of detail you will learn in Physics I/II.

Would recommend the site Hyperphysics; animated videos are also helpful, and there are lots on YouTube. Make sure to do practice problems, without a calculator, with each formula you learn.

Reactions: 1 user
*bump*

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Does anyone else have any input/advice/tips/etc.?

Hey guys and gals, just a general question over the physics portion of the new MCAT.

I am currently planning on taking the MCAT in September of this year during the beginning of my junior year (2017). The only pre-requisite classes I have yet to take are Physics I/II. Other than that, I have completed all the major pre-requisites for the MCAT.

I am wondering if self-teaching physics using the Khan academy videos and Kaplan book as a primary resources is feasible while studying the other material? If anyone has self-taught physics, what was your strategy and resources?

If it helps any, here is some of my academic background: I took physics in high school, and I did marginally well but lack any major retention of concepts other than titles of words. I am generally good at self-study when it comes to biological/chemical/biochemical topics, but I have never self-taught a math related topic.

As of now, I have no conflicts this summer and should be able to devote about 6-10 hours a day of content review in June and early July and begin exam practice mid July through August. Furthermore, I have a fellow student who took his MCAT in September of 2016 to use as a semi-resource for any physic-content related questions.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions! It is much appreciated.

You could probably self teach yourself everything you need to know way faster than an actual course. You need like 50 hours total (probably less) to learn everything needed for the physics part if you are good at learning and took physics in high school. Surprisingly my high school physics taught me almost everything I needed to know for the physics part of the mcat (except for magnetism formulas and inductors/capacitors) and I took regular physics.

The only thing is you may lack some fundamental basis/knowledge for what you are doing but not enough to make a significant difference on the mcat.
Similar example- my friend took the mcat before taking physics II and Biochem I, still got a 520 (I was jealous).

Members don't see this ad :)
...if you are good at learning and took physics in high school. Surprisingly my high school physics taught me almost everything I needed to know for the physics part of the mcat (except for magnetism formulas and inductors/capacitors) and I took regular physics.

THIS!!!! A very good high school physics class will prepare you for the MCAT better than any college physics class, because of the emphasis on conceptual learning and common sense.

THIS!!!! A very good high school physics class will prepare you for the MCAT better than any college physics class, because of the emphasis on conceptual learning and common sense.

How much of an emphasis would you say should be placed on studying physics 1 over physics 2 concepts. I took advanced physics in hs and mechanics was a piece of cake, but e&m made absolutely no sense to me.

Thank you all for your helpful replies!

Currently the Kaplan books have provided me with a great source of information. I have been able to understand the concepts they present in each chapter and work through their problems in the back of the books rather well. I have been trying to keep this mentality of "learn the concept and be able to apply it to a new situation" as I was told this parallels the way the MCAT tends to test.

Are there any other resources you all would suggest if you are self-teaching physics? My current plan has me finishing up all physics chapters from the Kaplan books by June 23rd. I figured I would move onto practice tests mid-July (Kaplan and AAMC primarily) and use them as a bulk of my physics practice.

How much of an emphasis would you say should be placed on studying physics 1 over physics 2 concepts. I took advanced physics in hs and mechanics was a piece of cake, but e&m made absolutely no sense to me.

Not the person you replied to, but although my instinct would be to focus on both equally, it seems like recent C/P exams had a strong Physics 2 focus (photoelectric effect, circuits, etc)... But then again, anything in the outline is testable.