Secure patient lists you guys use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgerizing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We use a google doc that can be updated, but the hospital is now saying that it isn't secure. Is there anything out there to keep a tally on everything (meds/plan/issues/etc) and have everyone (NP's/docs/etc) update it on the fly like you can with a google sheet/doc?

Members don't see this ad.

We use a google doc that can be updated, but the hospital is now saying that it isn't secure. Is there anything out there to keep a tally on everything (meds/plan/issues/etc) and have everyone (NP's/docs/etc) update it on the fly like you can with a google sheet/doc?

EPIC has an awesome function for this. I'm sorry you hospital doesn't have it. Pre-EPIC, in medical school, I think they had a secure drive with a word document that everyone could access.

Most EMRs have this ability built in, EPIC's is great for this.

In our ICU we used an archaic webpage that we could update as needed and print lists... it was clunky, but got the job done. It was protected by intranet / username with password.

Where I am now, at least for outpatient, we have a secure shared drive that all team members can access when they log onto any hospital computer. We have a patient list document in this drive.

most places I've been don't seem to like the lists autogenerated by EPIC, and seem to use the clunky spreadsheet/word document method

It would help if you tell us what EMR you use. At both my med school and residency we used the built-in features in the EMR to formulate checkouts.

If for some reason your EMR doesn't have this built in, there are several web based solutions. WardManager is one of them. I have nothing to do with them, and no experience with them -- it's just the one I remember. They claim it's secure. That's what HBO thought also.

Reactions: 1 user
We used excel sheets on a shared drive that could be accessed from anywhere in the hospital. It was the sacred duty of the intern to update it fully everyday. That being said the pre-made rounding templates on epic are so much better (up to date vitals, meds, labs, location, name, mrn), don't need much else on a surgical service except drain outputs.

Reactions: 1 user