Second attempt step 3 and cardiology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cards987

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I unfortunately didn't match. Had only three interviews and all from references. I'm not sure if I should apply next year or not given my step 3 issue. I'm an IMG/ J1 visa/ university IM program/ posters yes but no first author publications/ 4 publications but not first author on any of those/ step 1 230/ step 2 230/ cs pass first attempt/ step 3 second attempt 195.

Given that I have an attempt on step 3, I was wondering if my application is gettingfiltered out and hence not even worth it the next time. If that's the case , then no point doing a one year echo/chf and enhancing cv with research. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a chance with your home program?
Have you spoken with the PD or chief of cards at your home program? They may give you insight.

I am surprised that as an IMG you couldn't churn out one single poster as first author? Was cards a late decision?
It doesnt seem like you did anything extra to get you into cards (research, posters, strong away rotations these are the things that give IMGs a chance)

the Step 3 might be a factor. But its not the end of the world. People have matched with attempts. But they usually compensate with something very strong (most a times research)

The subspecialty fellowship serves to give you a chance in the institution that u rotating