Sean Mackey: An Opioid Centrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
A pain doctor explains how he balances his patients’ needs with the opioid epidemic’s lessons

"This is what Mackey emphasizes again and again: Pain patients are different individuals, and different individuals will have different pain management needs. He notes that only a minority of his patients actually use opioids, and many rely instead on some of the 200-plus other non-opioid medications now available in the pain treatment field. But when patients can be safely prescribed opioids to their benefit, Mackey says, he will prescribe the drugs to them — but, of course, monitor them to ensure they don’t progress to misuse and addiction."

Members don't see this ad.

More important than the percentage of patients using opioids in a practice is the number of pills prescribed and the MED.

Reactions: 1 user
More important than the percentage of patients using opioids in a practice is the number of pills prescribed and the MED.

And the poly pharmacy
I am worried about xanax and klonopin with /soma/ambien even though they have no morphine equivalents. Pcp will have no qualms writing these combos but won't write one 5mg hydro for a wheelchair bound octogenarian

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And the poly pharmacy
I am worried about xanax and klonopin with /soma/ambien even though they have no morphine equivalents. Pcp will have no qualms writing these combos but won't write one 5mg hydro for a wheelchair bound octogenarian

CDC shows that the VAST majority of opioid overdoses are not from polypharmacy, usually with BENZOS.

Its amazing how many BENZOS are being prescribed by PCPs for a person I have written some Norco for. I have to tell patients its one or the other, which of course never goes over well.

benzos, sleepers, muscle relaxers = no opioids