SDN Calculation 120 questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering is this the SDN 120 math questions? at this link?
Upgrade system login | XenForo

because it doesn't have just math questions lol i thought it was all 120 math questions

NOTE: Administrator updated post because the old link no longer worked.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 120 Math Questions with Answers from Student Doctor Network dot org, very helpful for NAPLEX.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 1,771
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much, yeh I really think sticking the SDN NAPLEX question would be very helpful to everyone. Cheers! :)

The OP's link stops at pg 40 (question 200) and restarts in the 200s. The intro states that there are around 1200 questions. Anyone have the full file? Or maybe a 2012-13 edition that replaces this one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went ahead and stuck this. I think there are other attachments floating around here, if someone wants to provide links I am sure future test takers would appreciate it!

Please feel free to share resources here, but nothing that violates copyrights and no advertisements please.

Thanks! :)

for # 12 why are they using:

Xml/10 parts = 1015 ml/60 parts ??

isn't it supposed to be 1015/70parts since the whole thing consists of 70 parts not 60?

for # 12 why are they using:

Xml/10 parts = 1015 ml/60 parts ??

isn't it supposed to be 1015/70parts since the whole thing consists of 70 parts not 60?
The trick behind using alliquots is that you're adding volume, but trying to keep the same % composition. If you don't take that into account, it's not exactly 10%.

So the 6 parts is the NaCl, 7 parts would be the NaCl + dextrose. 1015ml is just the NaCl alone. If you did 7 parts, that must include the 169ml (which since we are trying to solve for that amount, we can't go about it that way).

169ml * 70g/100ml (70%) = 118.3g dextrose. So if that much dextrose goes into the bag, it's 118.3g/1015ml = 11.6% which is not the 10% we're looking for. 118.3g/(1015+169ml) gives us the desired 10%.

Reactions: 1 users
For #91,

for KCl, shouldn't the total amount of KCl be 40 mEq (not 28.8 mEq) so the mOsm for KCl should be 80 mOsm?

Please let me help you guys out. Dont even bother with the SDN 120 calc questions. It was a waste of time and very confusing. I did Rxprep. That was sufficient.

Please let me help you guys out. Dont even bother with the SDN 120 calc questions. It was a waste of time and very confusing. I did Rxprep. That was sufficient.

I can smell fishing! this is bs... rxp... or whatever company are very active on advertising!

being successful is not to have the best, but to make the best out of what you have! :eek:

and that does NOT mean rxp.. is the best.

What is the origin of this anyway?

I believe it is from review session back in 2006 led by Professor Flynn Warren. His review session got in trouble with the NABP because their review questions were too similar to the actual NAPLEX.

The trick behind using alliquots is that you're adding volume, but trying to keep the same % composition. If you don't take that into account, it's not exactly 10%.

So the 6 parts is the NaCl, 7 parts would be the NaCl + dextrose. 1015ml is just the NaCl alone. If you did 7 parts, that must include the 169ml (which since we are trying to solve for that amount, we can't go about it that way).

169ml * 70g/100ml (70%) = 118.3g dextrose. So if that much dextrose goes into the bag, it's 118.3g/1015ml = 11.6% which is not the 10% we're looking for. 118.3g/(1015+169ml) gives us the desired 10%.

I agree and confirm with the explanation of our friend Ackj.
Clarification: Ackj simplified the parts from 60 to be 6, 70 to be 7, 10 to be 1.
Perhaps, to sync with original answer, you can think this way:

When Ackj wrote: So the 6 parts is the NaCl, 7 parts would be the NaCl + dextrose.
Ackj meant: So the 60 parts is the NaCl, 70 parts would be the NaCl + dextrose.

When Ackj wrote: If you did 7 parts, that must include the 169ml
Ackj meant: If you did 70 parts, that must include the 169ml

++++++++++
Also, here is another approach to solve this problem:

You have PLAIN IV Liquid (1000 ml) (Just plain sterile water, no salt, no sugar yet).
You added Salt Liquid (15 ml).
Now, you add Sugar Liquid (what is this ml?).

After you setup the ALLIGATION:
You get: this FACT:
I know: 60 parts IS RELATED TO 1015 ml.
then, 10 parts IS RELATED TO X ml?

CROSS MULTIPLY and we get:
x = [(10 parts TIMES 1015 ml) / (60 parts)] = 169 ml.

EVEN BETTER, let's continue:

then, 70 parts IS RELATED TO Y ml?

Y = [(70 parts TIMES 1015 ml) / (60 parts)] = 1184.1666666666666666666666666667 ml = 1184.17 ml.
70 parts is TOTAL LIQUID = 1184.17 ml (this will help you to get answer for question 13.)

Good luck and please help others. Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• 120 Math Questions with Answers from Student Doctor Network dot org, very helpful for NAPLEX.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 1,539
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please explain why Question #100 & #101 to me? I Have no idea how to even go about solving this whole problem...

Last edited:
Can someone please explain why Question #100 & #101 to me? I Have no idea how to even go about solving this whole problem...

101. How many mL of the 40 mg per mL Dopamine Injection should be added to a 500 mg bag of IV fluid to prepare the double concentration? (Ignore volume of the dopamine injection.)

Felt like question #101 was poorly worded. It asked for double strength in the profile which would have been 800mg/250mL = x mg/500mL, but the answer is for an increased dosage (going from 400mg/250 to 800mg/500mL is the same strength!).

Working on#100, will get back to you.

For the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, ph=pka +log [salt/acid] , does anyone remember how to take the log of something (& of course without a calculator) ? For instance, how do you know log[10]=1? Please help! Thanks a lot

Hi there! I'm having a lot of difficulty with figuring out when to do allegation or use a ratio - such as the problems on the SDN 120 like #12 and, #30, #78. For example #12 I solved it setting up proportional ratios - I set up like:
1) I need 10% which is 10g/100mL = x/1000mL (total IV is 1L)
X= 100g needed
2) if I need 100g, how many mLs of the 70% dextrose will I need so:
70g/100mL = 100g/x
X = 142.9mL needed
--- this is way off from the answer key as they used allegation. However I'm SO confused as to when to set up direct ratios like I did above and when I need allegation. Please help if you can my exam is in 4 days and I'm borderline panic attack :(

Hi there! I love how detailed your explanations are you really seem like a math pro, and I was hoping you could explain to me this concept/help me solve these problems - I'm having a lot of difficulty with figuring out when to do allegation or use a ratio - such as the problems on the SDN 120 like #12 and, #30, #78. For example #12 I solved it setting up with ratios and cross multiplying - because in my mind I'm thinking that it's the same drug (I.e. Dextrose) and if I'm trying to find a certain amount (g) why can't I set up ratios and cross multiply if I know the percentage/concentration of each? - I set up like and solved #12 like:
X= 100g needed
70g/100mL = 100g/x
X = 142.9mL needed
--- this is way off from the answer key as they used allegation. However I'm SO confused as to when to set up direct ratios like I did above and when I need allegation. Please help if you can my exam is in 4 days and I'm borderline panic attack :(

Clarification: Ackj simplified the parts from 60 to be 6, 70 to be 7, 10 to be 1.

When Ackj wrote: So the 6 parts is the NaCl, 7 parts would be the NaCl + dextrose.

++++++++++

You have PLAIN IV Liquid (1000 ml) (Just plain sterile water, no salt, no sugar yet).

Y = [(70 parts TIMES 1015 ml) / (60 parts)] = 1184.1666666666666666666666666667 ml = 1184.17 ml.
70 parts is TOTAL LIQUID = 1184.17 ml (this will help you to get answer for question 13.)

Hi there! I'm having a lot of difficulty with figuring out when to do allegation or use a ratio - such as the problems on the SDN 120 like #12 and, #30, #78. For example #12 I solved it setting up proportional ratios - I set up like:
X= 100g needed
70g/100mL = 100g/x
X = 142.9mL needed

:highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive:
For example #12 I solved it setting up with ratios and cross multiplying - because in my mind I'm thinking that it's the same drug (I.e. Dextrose) and if I'm trying to find a certain amount (g) why can't I set up ratios and cross multiply if I know the percentage/concentration of each? - I set up like and solved #12 like:
X= 100g needed
However I'm SO confused as to when to set up direct ratios like I did above and when I need allegation. Please help if you can my exam is in 4 days and I'm borderline panic attack :(

My friend, total is not 1000 ml. The question was tricky.
In hospital, a bag is premade with 1000 ml. You are given that bag. You have two ways:
Way 1: draw out some liquid and add in whatever DEXTROSE WATER OR SALT WATER you need, total must be only 1000 ml.
Way 2: DO NOT draw out some liquid. Just add in whatever DEXTROSE WATER OR SALT WATER you need, total will be OVER 1000 ml.
This question is ASKING Way 2.
Question wrote:
"You must ADD the volumes of the dextrose and NaCl to the 1000 ml of Sterile Water."

With that in mind, let's continue:
In question 11: Because we are adding SALT WATER to make the bag with 60 mEq, we don't know the final volume yet. But, 60 mEq is not dependent on final volume of the bag, then, we can solve with NON-ALLEGATION way.
They want to you make the bag with 60 mEq of salt.
(Just like they ask you to add 3510 milli-grams of salt into the bag.)

In question 12: After adding SALT WATER, now, they want us to add DEXTROSE WATER, in such a weird way that the PERCENT of DEXTROSE is 10 percent of FINAL VOLUME.
At this point, we don't know FINAL VOLUME.
At this point, we don't even know how much volume of DEXTROSE WATER to add.
Therefore, in question where we don't know the final volume like this, and the question ask for PERCENT of ADDED INGREDIENT, we have to use ALLEGATION.
Key to recognize ALLEGATION math question is:
They ask you to make product.
They ask you to add ingredient.
They ask you: how much of ingredient to get certain PERCENT of Added Ingredient (in FINAL PRODUCT.)

Let's phrase the question another way. They seem to say this weird sentence:
You have to blindly add ingredient slowly slowly slowly slowly until you get the ingredient to be 10 percent of the final product.

How in the world can I do that?
Physically, we can but that will take forever to add, compute, add, compute.
Therefore, mathematically, we compute with allegation.

Good luck and please come back here to help others after you pass the exam. Thank you very much for your help in advance...:highfive:

Attachments

222.3 KB · Views: 388
weight of the exipients for the Acetaminophen,
Thanks in advance!

In each pill of morphine that is 100 milligrams, we find 15 milligrams of real morphine and 85 milligrams of exipients.
For acetaminophen that is 325 milligrams, we are using RAW POWDER without exipients, we are not using pre-made acetaminophen tablet.

Thank you rotation experience. I miss those days of just laboring in the lab for 8 hours, coughing....By the way, ketoprofen powder did cause non-controllable cough.

My tip: The painter's mask with Active Charcoal filter on both sides helped. (I bought for about 20 dollars at Harbor Freight Tools or 30 dollars at Home Depot and they lasted me over 10 years.)

Attachments

• 3M Tekk Protection Mold ...PA1-A at The Home Depot.pdf
    465.3 KB · Views: 256
Can someone please clarify #83 to me?
Problem #83:
Why is the dihydrate included in the molecular weight, and if so, why is dihydrate not taken into account in the number of particles to calculate mOsm?

Allow me to try to share my understanding which may be wrong:
Source:
http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/assets/courses/vm613/chemmath/chemmath.html
"Omolarity refers to the number of particles of solute per liter of solution whereas the term
osmolality refers to the number of particles of solute per kg of solvent.
When considering body fluids, the difference between osmolality and osmolarity is negligible because body fluids typically are dilute aqueous solutions."

Based on above knowledge, my understanding leads me to answers of your questions:
First question: Why is the dihydrate included in the molecular weight?
Dihydrate means 2 water molecules. They have weight.

Let's start slow with the mole concept. 1 mole of something is countable.
1 pack of soda has 6 cans. You can count this. This has weight. Agree?
1 dozen of soda has 12 cans. You can count this. This has weight. Agree?
1 mole of soda has (6.023 x 1023) cans. You can count this. This has weight. Agree?

similarly
1 mole of water has (6.023 x 1023) molecules of water. They have weight. So 1 mole of water has weight and we call it: molecular weight.
1 mole of Calcium Chloride Di-hydrate has weight of 1 mole of Calcium, 1 mole of Chloride, 2 moles of water. They have weight.

1 dry shirt has weight.

1 dry shirt with 2 moles of water will have heavier weight. So we have to count the weight of water in this situation.

Next question:
Why is dihydrate not taken into account in the number of particles to calculate mOsm?

Remember Osmols counts only solute?
Source:
"Omolarity refers to the number of particles of solute per liter of solution whereas the term
osmolality refers to the number of particles of solute per kg of solvent.

Powder of Calcium Chloride Dihydrate in water will have
particles of Calcium and
particles of Chloride in water.
Dihydrate becomes water and is not solute.

mOsm refers to Osmol concept.
In human body, Osmol concept counts only "particles in water".
In human body, Osmol concept counts none of "water in water". Water (from Calcium Chloride Dihydrate) is not counted particle.

Similarly, 1 dozen of oranges in water is easy to see. You can count 12 oranges in water. Agree? If you can count 1 orange as 1 particle, then,
you can count 100 oranges in water, then,
you can count 1000 oranges in water, then,
you can count (6.023 x 1023) oranges in water, then,
you can count 1 mole of oranges in water, then,

you can find Osmolarity or Osmolality of orange in water because orange in water is count-able as solute in water.

Powder of Calcium Chloride Dihydrate in water will have particles of Calcium and particles of Chloride in water. Dihydrate becomes Water (from Calcium Chloride Dihydrate) .

Particles in water will give us Osmolality or Osmolarity.
Water (from Calcium Chloride Dihydrate) in water will not give us Osmolality or Osmolarity because Water (from Calcium Chloride Dihydrate) is considered to be the final solution or as the final solvent.

That's my understanding about Osmol concept in reference to particles. If anyone has another idea, please share. Thank you very much.

Anyway, I was told that we don't get questions this deep in NAPLEX.

Let's spend time on
Statistic: Relative Risk, Absolute Risk, Number Needed to Treat.
Compounding of capsule.
Drop Rate, milliliters to use....
Half life.
Alligation.

Good luck and please come back here to help others after you pass the exam. Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• OSMOL EXPLANATION Copy.pdf
    620.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
How to solve this question and what would be answer.

A study reports that the average blood level of a drug is 1mg/dL and it is determined that the Standard Deviation is +_ 0.1 mg/dL. If the study consisted of 1000 patients, how many had a blood level greater than 1.1 mg/dL?

My wonder is not in the part that 60 parts represent 1015 ml ( which is also confused if you never practiced this type of question, because rxprep book has all examples using total volume( or weight) divided by # of parts to get one part and then find all numbers) but rather why those little 15 ml would be included in 60 parts when we try to calculate the total 70 or we can easily try to calculate just one part and then multiply by as many as we need. So why those 15 ml would be included in 60 parts, while they supposed to be in total 70 parts. If you include 15ml within 60 parts, then total 70 ml would have also add to those 15 making it 17.5 ml ( 60/15 =70/x) x=17.5ml ( so this is more than 15 ml but we need only 15 ml in the total 70parts??? So, I would assume that since 15 ml should be included in TOTAL 70 parts, then 60 parts should have less ( making is 70/15=60/x, x=12.86 ml). So with same logic, we should use 1012.9 ml represent 60 parts( not 1015ml). Isn't ? Math giants please correct me if I am wrong. ;)

Last edited:
For the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, ph=pka +log [salt/acid] , does anyone remember how to take the log of something (& of course without a calculator) ? For instance, how do you know log[10]=1? Please help! Thanks a lot

log [10] = 1 because 10 raised to the 1 power is 10. "log" is just a short-hand way of asking for the exponent on ten that will equal the number inside [ ]. Another example: log [100] = 2 because 10 raised to the power of 2 is 100. Likewise log [0.01] is -2 because 10 raised to the power of -2 means 1 divided by 100 which is 0.01 as a decimal. Works for other bases also (although I doubt any of these would show up on the NAPLEX).
log 9 [729] is 3 because 9 raised to the 3rd power is 729.

++++++++++

Thank you so much for your answer. How do you know 60 part is for 1015 ml, I just do not understand. Also can you please explain question 10. Thank you for all your help.

You wrote for Question 12: How do you know 60 part is for 1015 ml, I just do not understand.
My answer: 60 parts is linked to 1015 ml by ALLIGATION METHOD.
When you setup the math question by Alligation method, you will have 60 parts linked with 1015 ml. Hard to understand, you just have to learn the way to setup ALLIGATION MATH, then, you will have the correct answer.

(Then, use proprotional math, you can find any answer you need.

Remember: after you find a fact that
60 parts is 1015 ml.
you will have a fact:
6 parts is 101.5 ml.
1 part is 101.5 / 6 = 16.91 ml.
100 parts is 1691.67 ml.
10 parts is 169.167 ml.
70 parts is 1184.17 ml.)

Good luck and please come back to help others after you pass the exam. Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

222.3 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
can you please explain question 10.

My answer: First, let's review the formula of Specific Gravity:
liquid has weight.
Converting liquid to weight requires Specific Gravity.
FORMULA:
Volume of liquid MULTIPLY BY Specific Gravity = Weight of liquid.
Given 1 ml
Given Specific Gravity = 1.0
Asked: Weight of liquid,
We will follow formula:
1 ml x 1.0 = 1 gram.

Therefore, given 1.875 ml from question 9.
Given Specifity Gravity = 1.0
Asked: weight of liquid from question 9.
We will follow formula:
1.875 ml x 1.0 = 1.875 grams of liquid Triamcinolone from question 9.

Question asked us to make 30 grams of MIXED TRIAMCINOLONE + COLD CREAM.
Therefore,
Weight of Cold Cream = 30 grams - weight of Triamcinolone
Weight of Cold Cream = 30 grams - 1.875 grams.
Weight of Cold Cream = 28.125 grams.

Good luck and please come back to help others after you pass the exam. Thank you very much in advance.

My answer: First, let's review the formula of Specific Gravity:
liquid has weight.
Converting liquid to weight requires Specific Gravity.
FORMULA:
Volume of liquid MULTIPLY BY Specific Gravity = Weight of liquid.
Given 1 ml
Given Specific Gravity = 1.0
Asked: Weight of liquid,
We will follow formula:
1 ml x 1.0 = 1 gram.

Therefore, given 1.875 ml from question 9.
Given Specifity Gravity = 1.0
Asked: weight of liquid from question 9.
We will follow formula:
1.875 ml x 1.0 = 1.875 grams of liquid Triamcinolone from question 9.

Question asked us to make 30 grams of MIXED TRIAMCINOLONE + COLD CREAM.
Therefore,
Weight of Cold Cream = 30 grams - weight of Triamcinolone
Weight of Cold Cream = 30 grams - 1.875 grams.
Weight of Cold Cream = 28.125 grams.

You are a very kind person, thank you so much for your help!

Hey everyone
I just took my naplex today I didn't get any mmol, mosmol. Questions does that mean anything ?!

when I took my Naplex, i didn't get any mmol, mosmol questions either and i passed!!!! so don't worry, it doesn't mean anything.

Hey rx9 ,
Thank u so much for replying ... I got my score and unfortunately got a 71
I'm a foreign grad , although I passed my fpgee first attempt, this is just bumped my confidence, now I'm thinking what did I do wrong I felt like the math was easy on the test but it wasn't hard and then got easy it was easy from the beginning
I studied Rxprep book and did 120 SDN questions
Now I'm thinking May be I should do the online course or passNaplex now or something
I'm sorry I'm just worried that's all

Don't worry Sam. Hang in there. I'm sure you'll do well the next time. 71, you were so close!!!! This is how I studied. At 1st, I did the 120 SDN questions as well. But I thought it was such a waste of time since some people were saying this or that question might have the wrong answer. So I didn't study from that anymore. All I studied was from the Rxprep 2014 coursebook, the rxprep test bank for 2 months, and the rxprep law 4 the cpje. i'd have to say that i was studying for about 9 months before i took the exams cuz i was working full time as well.good luck.

Rx9,
Thank you so much for your kind words, and I felt the same way about the 120 SDN questions.. I'm thinking it's just might be a blessing in disguise may be I wasn't ready yet .. I'm going to purchase the quiz bank and just start studying again please keep me in your thoughts and I'll keep posted
Again thank u for your help...
I really appreciate it :)

Yes, keep up with the good spirits Sam. If I can pass the Naplex and CPJE, u can too! Study hard and good luck! In my opinion, Rxprep is the best! If is wasn't for Rxprep, I would've never been ready for the exams.

Can someone please explain number 26?
This may be easier to understand:
MW of Li = 7; MW of Li2CO3 = 74

Amount or Ratio of Li in Li2CO3 = (7x2)/(total MW: 74) = 0.1892
Total dose of Li2CO3 = 300 x 3 = 900 mg
Total dose of Li in LiCO3 = 0.1892 x 900 = 170.27 mg
-> milimoles of Li = 170.27/7 = 24.32