Steve's Ultimate Dental School Application Guide & artist2022's AADSAS guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
*thread gets stickied*
*people still post threads for school lists*

Reactions: 8 users
Not til the end of June my friend!
My mistake, for some reason I thought you were part of this cycle that's finishing up.
As far as the reason why you're single, that is not why. But it is the reason that you will be a doctor in a few years :)
That's some serious hussle, props to you.

*thread gets stickied*
*people still post threads for school lists*

+pissed+ Every single day a new one appears, and it always is "oh I've checked blah blah blah........... BUT". How could people be this neurotic that they need so much assurance and validation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
+pissed+ Every single day a new one appears, and it always is "oh I've checked blah blah blah........... BUT". How could people be this neurotic that they need so much assurance and validation.
Lol because everyone is unique of course!! So internet strangers can obviously give you excellent advice based on "3.6 GPA, 21 DAT, excellent ECs, great LoRs, 150 hours of shadowing"

Reactions: 2 users
My mistake, for some reason I thought you were part of this cycle that's finishing up.
As far as the reason why you're single, that is not why. But it is the reason that you will be a doctor in a few years :)
That's some serious hussle, props to you.

Oh I usually lurk around previous application cycles so I'll know what to do when my application opens :)

Hahaha appreciate it bud!

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. Giving up dentistry for a life of crime.
Probably giving up SDN, too, based on all the chance me threads. Nothing left for me to do here! :bag:
Don't worry when you get caught you've made enough SDN friends that you are bound to get free dental care for life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahahaha the most recent posts are killing me!! Swearing in your personal statement and saying you want the prestige of being a dentist in your personal statement.. I am dying over here

Reactions: 1 users
Hahahaha the most recent posts are killing me!! Swearing in your personal statement and saying you want the prestige of being a dentist in your personal statement.. I am dying over here
The future of healthcare at its finest.:confused:

some posts really make me want to stop coming to SDN...maybe I should quit.

Hello!

Is there another thread where we can post about our Grades/Scores/experience for this application cycle? Or can I just throw it all on here and get some insight? I Just took my DAT and I did not do as well as I was expecting (mainly for poor timing for Orgo) and I am in a huge need of assistance for what to do now!

Hello!

Is there another thread where we can post about our Grades/Scores/experience for this application cycle? Or can I just throw it all on here and get some insight? I Just took my DAT and I did not do as well as I was expecting (mainly for poor timing for Orgo) and I am in a huge need of assistance for what to do now!
What were your scores?

I felt like I had done so much better but i ended up with AA 17 & TS 17
PAT 19 RC 18 Bio 20 QR 16 GC 15 OC 14 <---- I know wtf, but its most likely because the last 6 -7 questions I had to click off since I had no time left so thats what killed me.

My GPA is a 3.4. I am finishing my Bachelors in Bioscience this next year and I already have a degree in Dental Hygiene, and been working as an RDH for 2 years already.

Im torn because this really screwed me up for a good chance, I dont know where to go from here... what I was thinking was to still apply June 1st with the status of retaking the DAT end of August.. What do you guys think?

I felt like I had done so much better but i ended up with AA 17 & TS 17
PAT 19 RC 18 Bio 20 QR 16 GC 15 OC 14 <---- I know wtf, but its most likely because the last 6 -7 questions I had to click off since I had no time left so thats what killed me.

My GPA is a 3.4. I am finishing my Bachelors in Bioscience this next year and I already have a degree in Dental Hygiene, and been working as an RDH for 2 years already.

Im torn because this really screwed me up for a good chance, I dont know where to go from here... what I was thinking was to still apply June 1st with the status of retaking the DAT end of August.. What do you guys think?
You're going to need to retake it. No ifs ands or buts.

Seconded. If you want any chance of getting in this year, you need to retake it.

I have to wait until August 25th, wont that be too late?? And from reading in the earlier posts, I need to mail the unofficial new scores straight to the admissions of the schools right?

I have to wait until August 25th, wont that be too late?? And from reading in the earlier posts, I need to mail the unofficial new scores straight to the admissions of the schools right?
It is late....but what other choice do you have? Most schools also don't accept the unofficial score reports....so you will have to wait another 2-3 weeks after you take the test. Ask the schools you are applying to what their policy is.

It is late....but what other choice do you have? Most schools also don't accept the unofficial score reports....so you will have to wait another 2-3 weeks after you take the test. Ask the schools you are applying to what their policy is.

Yea.. Not much of a choice. Any chance of atleast an interview even when having to wait for the retake? And do I have to upload anything onto the application again? Or does it send automatically from the testing location?

Yea.. Not much of a choice. Any chance of atleast an interview even when having to wait for the retake? And do I have to upload anything onto the application again? Or does it send automatically from the testing location?
Honestly, the chances of an interview with those scores are slim to none. Just being honest! However, on the application you can mark down your next "planned DAT date" so definitely do that! The scores will be sent automatically once you retake (2-3 weeks after), just make sure to include you are planning to retake.

Just re-take it and don't rush.. Its not a huge deal if you have to delay a year. In the long run it won't matter. My advice is to reschedule, don't rush it, and apply to just a few schools so you don't spend a lot with such a late application.

Honestly, the chances of an interview with those scores are slim to none. Just being honest! However, on the application you can mark down your next "planned DAT date" so definitely do that! The scores will be sent automatically once you retake (2-3 weeks after), just make sure to include you are planning to retake.

Thanks, do you think they would reject right away? (Sorry for so many questions) I just feel like I shot my chance for this cycle already and it didn't even open yet :(

Thanks, do you think they would reject right away? (Sorry for so many questions) I just feel like I shot my chance for this cycle already and it didn't even open yet :(
I'm not too sure how it works IF you say you are retaking the test. I wish I could provide you with an answer!

Yes they would reject right away, unless you are a Eskimo or Native American.

Ive come to the conclusion people post chance me threads to stroke their ego.

Ive come to the conclusion people post chance me threads to stroke their ego.
You mean the ones that are like...

So I have a 3.98 BCPM and a 3.99 Overall
25AA/24TS/24PAT/23RC
1000+ Shadowing 1000+ Voulenteer hours
CHANCE ME.

Yeah pretty much.

You mean the ones that are like...

So I have a 3.98 BCPM and a 3.99 Overall
25AA/24TS/24PAT/23RC
1000+ Shadowing 1000+ Voulenteer hours
CHANCE ME.

Yeah pretty much.
*still can't hold a conversation*

do i have to wait until spring term ends to request for my official transcript? or can i request for my official transcript even before graduating?

do i have to wait until spring term ends to request for my official transcript? or can i request for my official transcript even before graduating?
That depends entirely on your school.

Once the application cycle opens, am I allowed to send my professors an upload link for my letters before I submit the application??

Sub question, will it let me send out upload links to individuals or is it all at once?
Yeah it does it individually. After you enter a LOR writers info it sends them the upload link to the email you provided for that specific evaluator.

Dude I did a retake in November and got in based off new scores.
I contacted the schools that already rejected me pre-interview with my new scores and they reopened my files.

Your new scores will post on AADSAS a few weeks later, but I emailed my unofficial scores to admissions the same day. Some accept it while some dont, but at least they will be expecting new scores.

It sounds like you know your stuff, but your nerves got the best of you. Keep studying, don't let it intimidate you. Revise your study techniques if you have to. Change your mindset. Go in there looking for a fight and punch that test in the throat! You can do it!

I just attended an application session from University of Minnesota Dental School and I know they take unofficial scores. I'm taking mine August 12th and they said scan and email a copy of my unofficial scores so that they can look at my application quicker than waiting on the official scores to get to them. I would ask the schools you are applying too and see what they say.

I read last years thread and saw someone who retook the DAT in November and got in after that, so don't give up hope!

I read last years thread and saw someone who retook the DAT in November and got in after that, so don't give up hope!
One of my classmates took the DAT in November and is also receiving a full ride. It's obviously not ideal to do but hey, people get in doing it.

One of my classmates took the DAT in November and is also receiving a full ride. It's obviously not ideal to do but hey, people get in doing it.
I thought big scholarship $ wasn't a thing for dental school. Did your classmate have like a 3.9gpa and 28AA or something?

Is there such a thing as a stupid question?

Absolutely. Your situation is not "unique", as much as you'd like to think so. The search function of SDN will do wonders for you, as most of the "unique" issues you face have faced countless other applicants in cycles past. Learn from their mistakes. If you have the personality where every life issue or decision is a crisis for which you need immediate personal attention, rethink your career plans.

I'm struggling to find the answer to my question. Back in the day, I withdrew from a course (NOT due to failing), and took it the following term. Should I classify this as a "repeated course"? I would assume yes.
Additionally, I found an old forum that said withdraws are counted as an F for the GPA, but I'm doubtful of that. Can anyone confirm or deny?