Steve's Ultimate Dental School Application Guide & artist2022's AADSAS guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Please read through the first post in this thread. Apply as early as possible, and the schools will be able to see your new score in June. Contact every school you're applying to and shed light on this situation. If they get that email, and your second set of scores are better, you will be considered two to three weeks early than you would be if you just waited until July to apply.

Best of luck!
Ok! Thanks for the post!

Yes, apply the first second possible so that everything else has the greatest chance of getting in on time. Treat that LOR like your DAT scores. Get everything else in first, and wait on it if necessary. Schools will acknowledge the receipt of your application and wait on that LOR to consider you.

Finals week is June 6-10, and I'm confident I could pull off 6 credits worth of A's in my upper division biology course. Should I wait an extra week (grades probably up on transcript by 15th) to submit my grades or just do it June 2nd?

Edit: I already took DAT btw if that matters

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping - to keep this thread on the first page of pre-dental forum.

Reactions: 2 users
I have 3.18 oGPA and a 3.08 sGPA. I graduated from UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago) with a BS in Biological Sciences. My grades have shown a strong uptrend in the past 4 semesters with each semester over a 3.7 in heavy science classes. I've taken almost all of the biology classes offered at my university with mostly As and a few Bs in them. Ive taken up to Biochemistry I a graduate level course. I have strong ECs such as 3 foreign internships one in Hungary and two in Jordan with a OMFS (Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon). I have over 500 hours+ at various clinics 100 or so with a cardiologist and 400+ at a few dental clinics. I have 8 months worth of Molecular biology research at my university with a paper. 5 strong letters of recommendations from doctors I've worked with and professors. My overall DAT score is a 22. Also i will be starting a masters program or post bac program this fall during my year off but my grades won't be included in the application as it would be submitted before I even start What are my chances of getting accepted? what schools offer the best chance of acceptance?

I have 3.18 oGPA and a 3.08 sGPA. I graduated from UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago) with a BS in Biological Sciences. My grades have shown a strong uptrend in the past 4 semesters with each semester over a 3.7 in heavy science classes. I've taken almost all of the biology classes offered at my university with mostly As and a few Bs in them. Ive taken up to Biochemistry I a graduate level course. I have strong ECs such as 3 foreign internships one in Hungary and two in Jordan with a OMFS (Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon). I have over 500 hours+ at various clinics 100 or so with a cardiologist and 400+ at a few dental clinics. I have 8 months worth of Molecular biology research at my university with a paper. 5 strong letters of recommendations from doctors I've worked with and professors. My overall DAT score is a 22. Also i will be starting a masters program or post bac program this fall during my year off but my grades won't be included in the application as it would be submitted before I even start What are my chances of getting accepted? what schools offer the best chance of acceptance?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...7-application-cycle-and-the-universe.1197114/

Reactions: 7 users
Is there somewhere to gain access to the application questions so that we can start filling it out? I would much rather copy and paste my already well-thought out responses come June 1st rather than coming up with things as soon as it opens.

Is there somewhere to gain access to the application questions so that we can start filling it out? I would much rather copy and paste my already well-thought out responses come June 1st rather than coming up with things as soon as it opens.
Nope. Try contacting others that have gotten in and see if they have a copy of their application.

@lemoncurry

Can we get this stickied? I don't know the process or the requirements, but I figured you would be able shed some light.

Thanks!

I'm sure there are more economical/better quality suits out there but I loved the way my Hugo Boss suit fitted. I was in and out in 30 minutes and simply picked up the suit a week or two later.

Last edited:
I got mine at Jos. A Bank on sale. At the outlet store.
They got me though. I actually ended up buying two suits, 3 shirts, 3 ties, shoes and belt. I was happy with my purchase though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you submit without knowing your DAT scores? What if I was to do poorly the DAT and decide just not to apply this cycle, but instead apply after I complete my SMP during next cycle? I'd save thousands of dollars by not applying.

Why would you submit without knowing your DAT scores? What if I was to do poorly the DAT and decide just not to apply this cycle, but instead apply after I complete my SMP during next cycle? I'd save thousands of dollars by not applying.
I think the idea is that you should have a good idea of where you will score before going into the DAT. If you're consistently pulling 18s on every practice test you take, you might want to reschedule. Of course, you could be doing well and then completely freeze up on the test, but I bet that's less likely.

Also, you can pick one school that you will for sure apply to and submit with only that one school in. Then once you have your scores, go back and add in the other schools that fit your stats.

Me, personally, I waited to submit until I had my score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
L for president ! Forget Trump and Hillary, also bump lmao

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Pfft, Kira for president 2016... I bet crime rates would go waaay down....

Just watched this long video from a bunch of admissions officers form other schools. This basically answers every question people continually ask on her. @Scumbag_Steve you should add this to your post

For a good laugh go to 9:00 in video two. Give it until about 9:35. @Scumbag_Steve @JLT223

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I think what the woman says at around 5:45 in that video above is spot on: schools want an applicant that has demonstrated the ability to serve. People overlook community outreach and think shadowing is enough, when in reality it isn't. I wish more people understood that.

Reactions: 3 users
I think what the woman says at around 5:45 in that video above is spot on: schools want an applicant that has demonstrated the ability to serve. People overlook community outreach and think shadowing is enough, when in reality it isn't. I wish more people understood that.
She is so nice I have been to many events with her and she highly emphasizes the need to serve. She also says they look for continued service. For example, rather than volunteering a couple hours at a bunch of places they want to see you volunteering monthly/bimonthly/weekly at the same place to show that you are consistent and build those bonds with others.

I think this would be a good addition to the main post:

Attachments

• 2015 SDN 2013 Acceptance statistics distribution 4-30-15-2.xls
    37.5 KB · Views: 166
I'm so glad that we have this site as a resource to interact with others going to the same exact process. Thank you for summing up 10 application cycles' thoughts, questions, and past experiences in a page. I firmly believe that people who are interested in dentistry all sort of have this innate bond and supportive attitude!

I'm starting to gather all LOR, transcripts, and create a file of ECs before June 1st so that I can get it submitted quickly. However, I'm glad you brought up the point of still submitting the app without DAT scores. I'm scheduled to take the DAT on August 8 and was under the impression AADSAS needed it to allow for submission. Good to know!

Hey man, great post I really appreciate you taking the time to write it up. I have a question that I've been undecided on for a couple weeks. My current gpas are 3.28Overall and 3.15Sgpa (got an F freshman year, shot myself in the foot), I am taking 7 credits of sciences over the summer which I believe I will ace and this would bring me up to a 3.32 overall and a 3.2Sgpa. I am currently preparing to take my DAT at the end of July and was wondering if it would be worth applying early with the lower GPAs and no DAT. Alternatively, I would apply after my summer courses and with my DAT in early august. I called the registrars office and they informed me that our summer grades would not be processed for transcripts until August 12th, knowing that it may take up to 4 weeks I think this is going to push my complete application till at least late august/early September.

I'm in the same boat as you! My gpa stats are pretty similar to yours as well. I'm in the process of taking Orgo I w/ lab and Orgo II w/ lab and plan on killin it so I can resend them an updated transcript in late July. I think it's definitely worth applying. I've seen SO many timelines of where you should be in each year of your undergrad... But hey life doesn't work out perfectly and timely.. At least mine didn't. I'm taking the DAT Aug 8th. I read in Scumbag Steves post that even if you have yet to take your DAT you can submit your app. Then once you get your DAT scores you can either contact the schools directly and asked if they would be willing to accept a fax or resend it in through the updated application site I believe.

This is golden thank you so much!!!

It does not surprise me in the slightest that people do not read this guide and still post chance me threads. But it was worth a shot!

Reactions: 8 users
It's almost 3am in Texas and I'm eating ice cream, practicing PAT stuff, and reading SDN.

This is why I'm single.

Reactions: 5 users
It does not surprise me in the slightest that people do not read this guide and still post chance me threads. But it was worth a shot!
I'm not responding to them anymore I suggest you do the same!

I'm going to start doing the same. Some of them don't even reply back. Which is disrespectful, at least post a "thank you".

Lol I didn't usually before. It's usually the same advice anyway. I don't think I can see one more "my stats are ok but my ECs are amazing so they make up for it" either

Lol I didn't usually before. It's usually the same advice anyway. I don't think I can see one more "my stats are ok but my ECs are amazing so they make up for it" either
I can't remember who said it first, but I so agree with the sentiment that everyone thinks they have amazing ECs.

I can't remember who said it first, but I so agree with the sentiment that everyone thinks they have amazing ECs.

Haha my ECs are super average. Working full time does that to you. Least you guys won't hear that sentiment from me.

"But you guys, I have amazing ECs! Hear me out: I was an officer for the dental club for 2 years! I also have 200 hours of shadowing and I've done a year's worth of research! I'm unique! That will balance our my subpar GPA and average DAT"

Haha my ECs are super average. Working full time does that to you. Least you guys won't hear that sentiment from me.
Working full time is a great EC. I'm guessing many applicants have never held jobs at all. Especially if it's something else working with people, like customer service or teaching. That gives you so much to talk about and helps you develop great skills that dental school can't necessarily teach you.

I have started to be a bit condescending towards them especially when they say I read @Scumbag_Steve's guide and it was awesome but...... and some random dumb question 80% of the time.

"But you guys, I have amazing ECs! Hear me out: I was an officer for the dental club for 2 years! I also have 200 hours of shadowing and I've done a year's worth of research! I'm unique! That will balance our my subpar GPA and average DAT"

Working full time is a great EC. I'm guessing many applicants have never held jobs at all. Especially if it's something else working with people, like customer service or teaching. That gives you so much to talk about and helps you develop great skills that dental school can't necessarily teach you.
I don't mind those guys cause they're not real competition... Its the guys that at the last minute switch from pre-med to pre-dental and think they're gonna be the chosen one of the industry.. "Guys I just switched from PRE MED. I have a 4.67 GPA, I found a cure for cancer, eradicated a disease, and am Pre-med... I imagine I will get a 29 on the DAT since its so much easier than the MCAT. By the way, did I mention I was pre-med before?"

:diebanana:

Reactions: 8 users
I don't mind those guys cause they're not real competition... Its the guys that at the last minute switch from pre-med to pre-dental and think they're gonna be the chosen one of the industry.. "Guys I just switched from PRE MED. I have a 4.67 GPA, I found a cure for cancer, eradicated a disease, and am Pre-med... I imagine I will get a 29 on the DAT since its so much easier than the MCAT. By the way, did I mention I was pre-med before?"

:diebanana:
:laugh::lol::rofl:

I found a cure for cancer, eradicated a disease

Meh, all these noobz.

I invented Fluoride. Yes, I literally invented the element. Get on my level.

*mic drop*

U mean fluorine lol? #imthatguywholikedchemlol

It's actually called Fluoride. Some pre-med stole it from me and renamed it fluorine. Pre-meds, I tell you...

Reactions: 5 users
I read the pre-med forums a lot because half of my high school students want to be doctors (sorry, trying not to roll my eyes). Honestly, they are WAY more harsh over there than we are here with silly questions.

For the awards/honors/scholarships section, what exactly are we expected to add here? Scholarships we received through financial aid? For the honors, does the deans list count? I am very unsure of what they are looking for in this section.