Scratched by patient on clinical placement/rotation; health risk?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all the helpful people that will read this and take the time to answer.

I am new to this site so I apologise if my post is in the wrong place. If I am, please direct me on where to post. Or if you could still answer my query that would be amazing.

I am a Speech and Language Pathology student who is currently undergoing a block of clinical placements/rotations.

Query: Yesterday when I was carrying out an observation of a severely low-functioning client with ASD, the client suddenly scratched me extremely hard on my forehead and I bled slightly (I know that is it not her fault and she doesn't understand). Upon bringing this to my clinical supervisor's attention, I was told that the client had just scratched two people minutes before I arrived as well. Her hands had not been cleaned after as they spent time cleaning the other people's wounds. The patient who scratched me also went on to scratch another patient during the observation ended which resulted in her being restrained and separated from the group.

It may sound far-fetched but I am very worried about possible blood borne exposure to HIV or HCV as a result. I do not know the status of the patient or the other people she had scratched moments before she scratched and broke my skin slightly. It sounds very likely that she had fresh blood under her fingernails.

Update: The following day I can feel two swollen lymph nodes in my neck. I am freaking out.

Question: I understand that this incident does not warrant the same fear as a nurse/doctor being exposed to a needlestick injury, but do you think PEP medication might still be a sensible option? I was told not to worry, but I am still concerned.

Thanks in advance.
Extremely worried student

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to all the helpful people that will read this and take the time to answer.

I am new to this site so I apologise if my post is in the wrong place. If I am, please direct me on where to post. Or if you could still answer my query that would be amazing.

I am a Speech and Language Pathology student who is currently undergoing a block of clinical placements/rotations.

Query: Yesterday when I was carrying out an observation of a severely low-functioning client with ASD, the client suddenly scratched me extremely hard on my forehead and I bled slightly (I know that is it not her fault and she doesn't understand). Upon bringing this to my clinical supervisor's attention, I was told that the client had just scratched two people minutes before I arrived as well. Her hands had not been cleaned after as they spent time cleaning the other people's wounds. The patient who scratched me also went on to scratch another patient during the observation ended which resulted in her being restrained and separated from the group.

It may sound far-fetched but I am very worried about possible blood borne exposure to HIV or HCV as a result. I do not know the status of the patient or the other people she had scratched moments before she scratched and broke my skin slightly. It sounds very likely that she had fresh blood under her fingernails.

Update: The following day I can feel two swollen lymph nodes in my neck. I am freaking out.

Question: I understand that this incident does not warrant the same fear as a nurse/doctor being exposed to a needlestick injury, but do you think PEP medication might still be a sensible option? I was told not to worry, but I am still concerned.

Thanks in advance.
Extremely worried student

You know who can answer and evaluate these concerns? Your Occupational health office, not a medical student forum.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know who can answer and evaluate these concerns? Your Occupational health office, not a medical student forum.
Well I did that and was told not to worry. Hence why I'm here. Because I'm still worried.
And seeing as other people have been helped out with similar queries on this forum (as another member has just kindly helped to point me towards), I didn't think it was a crime to ask.

The transmission would be severely unlikely in that case for either viruses. For peace of mind though, you could always get some blood work done. They could check HIV Ag/Ab combo and HCV Ab

Reactions: 1 users
The transmission would be severely unlikely in that case for either viruses. For peace of mind though, you could always get some blood work done. They could check HIV Ag/Ab combo and HCV Ab
Thank you for your response. It's appreciated.
I feel slightly more reassured, but yes I agree; I will have to do a test. It's going to be a long 3 month wait until I can complete one for conclusive results :(

Go to your occupational health office and/or your primary care provider and/or your county health department.
I visited them yesterday and they're not taking it seriously. They've documented the incident but that's about it. They rejected the idea of PEP initially when the injury happened and now it's been more than 72 hours; so they refused it. They're such an unorganised bunch! All I can do now is panic for 3 months and do a blood test later on.

Although according to the relevant literature, the odds are in my favour; as the risk is apparently extremely low. My supervisor and the OH seem to think so too.

Did the patient have lycanthropy? If so, you might find yourself turning into a werewolf at the next full moon.

I visited them yesterday and they're not taking it seriously. They've documented the incident but that's about it. They rejected the idea of PEP initially when the injury happened and now it's been more than 72 hours; so they refused it. They're such an unorganised bunch! All I can do now is panic for 3 months and do a blood test later on.

Although according to the relevant literature, the odds are in my favour; as the risk is apparently extremely low. My supervisor and the OH seem to think so too.

Probably because they have determined it is not actually serious. Back up by the literature you mentioned. And your supervisor. And the information posted above. Chill, you will know if it is serious.

Reactions: 1 user

omg! you should take the pap

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app