Scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oddplatypus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I was in the unfortunate position of having the scramble last week and it was an overwhelming and exhausting process.

I made a decision on Day 1 with serious haste and FOMO essentially. I got an internship at X, yay. However, there's a different hospital in the same geographic area that has contacted me and expressed interest and I think this other place is a way better fit. They have a higher caseload and more rotations to offer. Most importantly they actually have the specialty I'm interested in.

How bad would it be to back out of agreement to do an internship at institution X? I haven't signed anything and the only agreement is that I said I would do it in an email. I double checked with VIRMP that the scramble isn't under their purvey so no repercussions for next year's match. I do sincerely feel bad that I am even considering reneging on my agreement with X. I just am not sure I made a clear and sound choice in the haste of the scramble.

Please don't hate me. I'm only human and I was so panicked on scramble day. It's been a hard week, and I'm just looking for some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

So...I was in the unfortunate position of having the scramble last week and it was an overwhelming and exhausting process.

I made a decision on Day 1 with serious haste and FOMO essentially. I got an internship at X, yay. However, there's a different hospital in the same geographic area that has contacted me and expressed interest and I think this other place is a way better fit. They have a higher caseload and more rotations to offer. Most importantly they actually have the specialty I'm interested in.

How bad would it be to back out of agreement to do an internship at institution X? I haven't signed anything and the only agreement is that I said I would do it in an email. I double checked with VIRMP that the scramble isn't under their purvey so no repercussions for next year's match. I do sincerely feel bad that I am even considering reneging on my agreement with X. I just am not sure I made a clear and sound choice in the haste of the scramble.

Please don't hate me. I'm only human and I was so panicked on scramble day. It's been a hard week, and I'm just looking for some advice.
I'm sure older grads will have more advice but I will just say that if you do renege on your offer and take the second institution, you would not be the first person I've heard of doing that.