Score drop from NextStep FL1 to FL2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bears1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
FL1 - 506 (128-125-126-127)
FL2 - 504 (127-126-125-126)
I'm taking the MCAT May 13th and I'm starting to wonder if I should push my test date back. I took NS FL1 4 weeks ago and was happy with my score as I still had 2.5 months left to study. After NS FL1, I read the entire EK book set and then took FL 2. I'm really confused with this score as my CARS went up a point (no studying for CARS between FL1 and FL2) but my other three sections all dropped a point even with an entire reading of my EK set. I figure I'll take the AAMC FL next weekend and see if I'm really in trouble. I was really not expecting a score drop after 4 weeks of content study. Has anybody else had a drop between NS1 to NS2?

Members don't see this ad.

Taken NS 1-3 and only have seen an increase, but I've been taken practice exams every two weeks. Maybe try to shorten your time in between taking exams so you're always conditioned to take the exams. Doesn't seem you have a problem with the content, I've reviewed each exam also to see what I have missed also before taking another FL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
NS 1 tends to be more inflated than NS 2,3, and 4. When I took NS 1, I scored 504 and then 503 on NS 2. My raw score, looking at percentages only, was much better for the 2nd test.

NS 1 tends to be more inflated than NS 2,3, and 4. When I took NS 1, I scored 504 and then 503 on NS 2. My raw score, looking at percentages only, was much better for the 2nd test.
My percentages went down about ten percent for each section. My cars went up about ten percent though... talking bout practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wouldn't change anything until you've seen your scores on AAMC materials. That's probably the best predictor out there.

Update: I just took the AAMC FL1 and now I'm really worried and confused. I got a 500 (127/126/124/123). I'm really not understanding how my score has been dropping with more and more content review. Has anybody else had this problem?

Update: I just took the AAMC FL1 and now I'm really worried and confused. I got a 500 (127/126/124/123). I'm really not understanding how my score has been dropping with more and more content review. Has anybody else had this problem?

What's your style for content learning?

What's your style for content learning?
I typically read a chapter a night after work and answer the questions from the chapter. I've finished the Kaplan and EK set. I've taken all the prereqs within the past 12 months. I know my low psych score is from lack of content and I typically have a hard time following 2-3 of the passages. Over the next month I'm just going to try and memorize psych terms and watch khan academy bio videos. I've been studying 3 hours a day for 5 months and the negative score trend is really frustrating.

I typically read a chapter a night after work and answer the questions from the chapter. I've finished the Kaplan and EK set. I've taken all the prereqs within the past 12 months. I know my low psych score is from lack of content and I typically have a hard time following 2-3 of the passages. Over the next month I'm just going to try and memorize psych terms and watch khan academy bio videos. I've been studying 3 hours a day for 5 months and the negative score trend is really frustrating.

The khan P/S passages has helped me a lot. Maybe giving those a try?

I had a 1 point increase between FL 1 and FL 2 on next step, but because I'm human garbage I haven't been studying for it at all :/ Maybe like 2 hours 3 times a week if I'm lucky. I'm luckily not taking it until June 16th and I just don't have your stamina to study that much after work and school, and I don't even work nearly as much as you. So I went from a 502 to 503, but that was due entirely to my cars going from 126 to 127. I had a 125/126/126/125 on the first and then 125/127/125/126 on the second one. I had thought about pushing up my MCAT date like 4 months ago when I thought I would have studied a lot more, but school has me dead inside. So even though I'm applying a bit later, I'm glad I'll have exactly 6 weeks from when I graduate until I take it. I'm hoping reviewing gen chem and physics will be a big boost for me, though I never learned physics 2 in the first place, just not a good class for me, and physics 1 I have down great. Good luck man, you've still got a few weeks, maybe a couple more will show a different result. Are you taking FL 3 soon?

I had a 1 point increase between FL 1 and FL 2 on next step, but because I'm human garbage I haven't been studying for it at all :/ Maybe like 2 hours 3 times a week if I'm lucky. I'm luckily not taking it until June 16th and I just don't have your stamina to study that much after work and school, and I don't even work nearly as much as you. So I went from a 502 to 503, but that was due entirely to my cars going from 126 to 127. I had a 125/126/126/125 on the first and then 125/127/125/126 on the second one. I had thought about pushing up my MCAT date like 4 months ago when I thought I would have studied a lot more, but school has me dead inside. So even though I'm applying a bit later, I'm glad I'll have exactly 6 weeks from when I graduate until I take it. I'm hoping reviewing gen chem and physics will be a big boost for me, though I never learned physics 2 in the first place, just not a good class for me, and physics 1 I have down great. Good luck man, you've still got a few weeks, maybe a couple more will show a different result. Are you taking FL 3 soon?
I'm taking FL 3 in two weeks. I pushed my test date back to June 18th so I've got time to focus on finals.