Science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FNPBC2MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do science courses expire? I know that sounds silly but I have A&P I & II and Chemistry I & II completed but that was 2007. Plus, those courses were from a community college. A Hospitalist today advised me that many programs won't accept science courses from CC.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

CC science courses are fine.

expire? not for med schools. though adcoms may want to see some recent academic achievements.
your cc credits are more than fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with gen chem 1 and 2 that were 20 years old and from a CC. Biology and A&P were even older than that. Never came up, didn't seem to matter. Well, it did matter a little. I considered Podiatry, but only one Pod school would accept my coursework from those many years ago.

I have yet to hear of a DO program not accepting CC coursework. Even at MD schools, the bias against them is diminishing.

But med schools do have time limits of pre-reqs. You'll need to check each school. For example, the PCOMs mention no time limit.
Osteopathic Medicine Application Requirements

I strongly suggest that you retake the coursework, since you need to master them for MCAT.

Do science courses expire? I know that sounds silly but I have A&P I & II and Chemistry I & II completed but that was 2007. Plus, those courses were from a community college. A Hospitalist today advised me that many programs won't accept science courses from CC.

CC credits are totally fine, but Goro is right in his suggestion that you may want to retake them (even at a CC again) just to reinforce the topics for the MCAT. You probably dont need to much anatomy for the MCAT, but gen chem topics are largely tested on. Just something to consider.

Thank you everyone! Another NP told me today that after 10 yrs science courses must be retaken. I actually read on one Program's site about the no Community College science courses. Let me see if I can remember which one.