Schools Accepting Online Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes

~3.3ish/513

I see your name is HopefulPilot but were you enlisted when you applied? I enlisted after getting my Bachelor's as I just wanted to serve and was too impatient to wait on another non-rated board. I'm just curious if Adcoms will care or how they'd view this.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the status of DO/MD schools accepting non-prereq online coursework? For example, if I were to take some online courses to boost my science (BCPM) GPA, would they still be recognized? I'm thinking of those "recommended" classes like histology, microbiology, immunology, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up getting accepted to the first two schools I interviewed at and cancelled all others after that. In total I interviewed at 3 places in my home state and was accepted to two. Overall I applied to 13 DO schools and 2 MD and I think I actually had interview invites to about 10 of those. I didn't bother sending supplementals to the rest.

I don't remember the full history of this thread, but to recap, my undergrad course load was pretty heavy with online courses. I took all of the prereqs including labs online except for the organic chems. I did transfer those credits and finish up a biochem degree at a brick and mortar school. I also served a short amount of time in the military and was in my later 20s when I applied. Neither my GPA or MCAT were stellar and I had no research experience.

Plan accordingly and then make it happen. At this point, most of our classes in medical school are essentially online anyway.
Can I pm you?

I think the bigger issues is whether you can learn well from UNE or any of the other programs that offer accredited coursework online

DO is fine with it, a lot of MD are too

But can you master the material from what amount to YouTube videos?

When taking a class online is all you can do then you have to make it work. Period. I don't think anyone should say to themselves "Darn, might have to work a little harder and use outside resources to learn biology 101 so I guess I just won't try. Med school wasn't that important to me anyway..."

And not for nothing, but self learning through outside resources is like 90% of medical school and 99% of your life in clinical practice. Getting a head start in undergrad is not going to hurt.

Dang haha I was just looking through MSAR and there are so many red X's under the "Online Accepted?" section. This sucks. Being non-trad it's so hard to get prereqs not online. There isn't a university within an hour from me that offers night chemistry classes...

Hey all,
So, here I am. I am about to take an online Medical Organic Chemistry II with lab course. It will be my first online course (sadly, had to Withdraw from my real life Orgo II class due to a round of health and dental issues that need to be taken care of asap and would lead to too many absenses).

I know a lot of schools state they don't accept online courses. There's a bit of a loophole. Check out the UNE online official thread here. People have applied and matriculated successfully with UNE online courses. The good spirited way (and fool proof way) is to call and ask your intended med schools if they accept online courses. UNE seems to be widely accepted, especially by DO schools. The other option which has had much success is just to not mention it unless asked. Apparently, UNE online transcripts do not differentiate between online vs on campus classes. Food for thought.

*We all understand why real life courses, especially with labs, are necessary. But, if you want a little uncanny or slightly ironic consideration: check out all of the articles, publications, and companies practicing telemedicine. ;) Don't accept online courses, but doctors can practice medicine through Skype? Legit. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Well, Nobody else was going to help out the community so I spent the money and compiled a list of MD schools that will accept online courses. This list was compiled off of the MSAR online and many state that it is on a case by case basis. If I were you I would call the schools you want to apply to to try to get more information on what that means exactly. The YES's are in bold, but again call to double check.

I hope this helps some of you get over the online course stigma. A lot of schools are accepting them. I am going to be an online promoter on this site. For those of you willing to risk a little please join me. I absolutely have to take online courses. Luckily, I have military tuition assistance that will pay for almost all of it. I am willing to take the risk to prove it can be done. Watch me OR join me. I will be accepted to med school at the end of this journey.

Good luck to all of you.

United States Medical Schools
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Greenville, NC) - case by case
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (Cleveland, Ohio) – Case by case basis
Central Michigan University College of Medicine – Case by Case
Creighton University School of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – Case by Case
Dartmouth Medical School (Hanover, NH) – YES!!!
Duke University School of Medicine (Durham, NC) - Case by Case
East Tennessee State University - James H. Quillen College of Medicine (Johnson City, TN) – YES!
Florida Atlantic – Case by Case
Florida International University College of Medicine (Miami, FL) – Case By Case
Florida State University College of Medicine (Tallahassee, FL) - Case by Case
Georgetown University School of Medicine (Washington D.C.) – Case by Case
Hofstra – Case by Case basis!
Icahn – Case by Case
Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University (Huntington, WV) – Case by Case
Mercer University School of Medicine (Macon, GA) – Case by case
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (East Lansing, MI) - YES!
Mount Sinai School of Medicine (New York, NY) – Case by case (same as Icahn)
New York Medical College -- School of Medicine (Valhalla, NY) – Case by Case
Northwestern University - Feinberg School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by Case
Ohio State University College of Medicine (Columbus, OH) – Case by case
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine (Portland, OR) – Case by case
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center (Chicago, IL) – YES!
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine (Caguas, Puerto Rico) – Case by case
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (Springfield, IL) – YES!
Stanford University School of Medicine (Stanford, CA) – YES!

Texas A & M Health Science Center - College of Medicine (College Station, TX) – Case by Case
Texas Tech University HSC - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine (El Paso, TX) – YES!
Thomas Jefferson University -- Jefferson Medical College (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
Tufts University School of Medicine (Boston, MA) – YES!
Universidad Central del Caribe - School of Medicine (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) – Case by Case
University at Buffalo - School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (The State University of New York) – Case by Case
University of Arizona College of Medicine (Tucson, AZ) – YES!
University of California Irvine - School of Medicine (Irvine, CA) – YES!

University of Chicago - Pritzker School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by case
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Cincinnati, OH) - Yes
University of Colorado School of Medicine (Denver, CO) – YES!

University of Connecticut School of Medicine (Farmington, CT) – Case by Case
University of Florida College of Medicine (Gainesville, FL) – Case by Case
University of Hawaii at Manoa - John A. Burns School of Medicine (Honolulu, HI) – Case by Case
University of Illinois College of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – case by case
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine (Iowa City, IA) – Case by Case
University of Kentucky College of Medicine (Lexington, KY) – YES!
University of Louisville School of Medicine (Louisville, KY) – Case by Case
University of Michigan Medical School (Ann Arbor, MI) – YES!
University of Minnesota Medical School (Minneapolis) – Case by Case
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine – YES!
University of Missouri - Columbia School of Medicine (Columbia, MO) – YES!
University of Nebraska Medical Center - College of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – YES!

University of New Mexico School of Medicine (Albuquerque, NM) – Case by case
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill School of Medicine (Chapel Hill, NC) – case by case
University of North Dakota - School of Medicine and Health Sciences (Grand Forks, ND) – case by case
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (Oklahoma City, OK) – YES!
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
University of South Alabama College of Medicine (Mobile, AL) – Case by case
University of South Florida College of Medicine (Tampa, FL) – N/a
University of Tennessee HSC College of Medicine (Memphis, TN) – case by case
University of Texas HSC - San Antonio School of Medicine (San Antonio, TX) - Na
University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio – case by case
University of Texas SMC at Dallas - Southwestern Medical School (Dallas, TX) – case by case
University of Toledo College of Medicine (Toledo, OH) – YES!
University of Utah School of Medicine (Salt Lake City, UT) – YES!

University of Vermont College of Medicine (Burlington, VT) – case by case
University of Washington School of Medicine / Alaska WWAMI – Yes!
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (Madison, WI) – case by case
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (Richmond, VA) – case by case
Wake Forest University School of Medicine - Bowman Gray Campus (Winston-Salem, North Carolina) – case by case
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University (Providence, RI) – case by case
Weill Cornell Medical College (Manhattan, NY) – case by case
Wright State University - Boonshoft School of Medicine (Dayton, OH) – case by case
Well, Nobody else was going to help out the community so I spent the money and compiled a list of MD schools that will accept online courses. This list was compiled off of the MSAR online and many state that it is on a case by case basis. If I were you I would call the schools you want to apply to to try to get more information on what that means exactly. The YES's are in bold, but again call to double check.

I hope this helps some of you get over the online course stigma. A lot of schools are accepting them. I am going to be an online promoter on this site. For those of you willing to risk a little please join me. I absolutely have to take online courses. Luckily, I have military tuition assistance that will pay for almost all of it. I am willing to take the risk to prove it can be done. Watch me OR join me. I will be accepted to med school at the end of this journey.

Good luck to all of you.

United States Medical Schools
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Greenville, NC) - case by case
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (Cleveland, Ohio) – Case by case basis
Central Michigan University College of Medicine – Case by Case
Creighton University School of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – Case by Case
Dartmouth Medical School (Hanover, NH) – YES!!!
Duke University School of Medicine (Durham, NC) - Case by Case
East Tennessee State University - James H. Quillen College of Medicine (Johnson City, TN) – YES!
Florida Atlantic – Case by Case
Florida International University College of Medicine (Miami, FL) – Case By Case
Florida State University College of Medicine (Tallahassee, FL) - Case by Case
Georgetown University School of Medicine (Washington D.C.) – Case by Case
Hofstra – Case by Case basis!
Icahn – Case by Case
Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University (Huntington, WV) – Case by Case
Mercer University School of Medicine (Macon, GA) – Case by case
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (East Lansing, MI) - YES!
Mount Sinai School of Medicine (New York, NY) – Case by case (same as Icahn)
New York Medical College -- School of Medicine (Valhalla, NY) – Case by Case
Northwestern University - Feinberg School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by Case
Ohio State University College of Medicine (Columbus, OH) – Case by case
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine (Portland, OR) – Case by case
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center (Chicago, IL) – YES!
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine (Caguas, Puerto Rico) – Case by case
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (Springfield, IL) – YES!
Stanford University School of Medicine (Stanford, CA) – YES!

Texas A & M Health Science Center - College of Medicine (College Station, TX) – Case by Case
Texas Tech University HSC - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine (El Paso, TX) – YES!
Thomas Jefferson University -- Jefferson Medical College (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
Tufts University School of Medicine (Boston, MA) – YES!
Universidad Central del Caribe - School of Medicine (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) – Case by Case
University at Buffalo - School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (The State University of New York) – Case by Case
University of Arizona College of Medicine (Tucson, AZ) – YES!
University of California Irvine - School of Medicine (Irvine, CA) – YES!

University of Chicago - Pritzker School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by case
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Cincinnati, OH) - Yes
University of Colorado School of Medicine (Denver, CO) – YES!

University of Connecticut School of Medicine (Farmington, CT) – Case by Case
University of Florida College of Medicine (Gainesville, FL) – Case by Case
University of Hawaii at Manoa - John A. Burns School of Medicine (Honolulu, HI) – Case by Case
University of Illinois College of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – case by case
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine (Iowa City, IA) – Case by Case
University of Kentucky College of Medicine (Lexington, KY) – YES!
University of Louisville School of Medicine (Louisville, KY) – Case by Case
University of Michigan Medical School (Ann Arbor, MI) – YES!
University of Minnesota Medical School (Minneapolis) – Case by Case
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine – YES!
University of Missouri - Columbia School of Medicine (Columbia, MO) – YES!
University of Nebraska Medical Center - College of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – YES!

University of New Mexico School of Medicine (Albuquerque, NM) – Case by case
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill School of Medicine (Chapel Hill, NC) – case by case
University of North Dakota - School of Medicine and Health Sciences (Grand Forks, ND) – case by case
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (Oklahoma City, OK) – YES!
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
University of South Alabama College of Medicine (Mobile, AL) – Case by case
University of South Florida College of Medicine (Tampa, FL) – N/a
University of Tennessee HSC College of Medicine (Memphis, TN) – case by case
University of Texas HSC - San Antonio School of Medicine (San Antonio, TX) - Na
University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio – case by case
University of Texas SMC at Dallas - Southwestern Medical School (Dallas, TX) – case by case
University of Toledo College of Medicine (Toledo, OH) – YES!
University of Utah School of Medicine (Salt Lake City, UT) – YES!

University of Vermont College of Medicine (Burlington, VT) – case by case
University of Washington School of Medicine / Alaska WWAMI – Yes!
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (Madison, WI) – case by case
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (Richmond, VA) – case by case
Wake Forest University School of Medicine - Bowman Gray Campus (Winston-Salem, North Carolina) – case by case
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University (Providence, RI) – case by case
Weill Cornell Medical College (Manhattan, NY) – case by case
Wright State University - Boonshoft School of Medicine (Dayton, OH) – case by case

Hey Allen I am in the same boat as you and I am Military, so it’s kind of hard to get I person classes sometimes cause our work schedule is ever changing . Did you have any luck yet getting accepted into a Medical School taking all online classes? Because that is what I have to do.

Hello everyone I am new to this forum... I signed up and found out about this group while doing my research... I have a list of MD Schools that I have been complying... I'm a late in life individual with a Bachelors Degree working in the medical field...

I have a list of MD Schools that are NOT accepting Online Courses (confirmed by phone and on their individual website)

MD Schools

Harvard University (Stongly Perfer in person) no policy stating the not too
Johns Hopkins University NO Online Course
NYU NO online courses
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine NO
University of Pennsylvania (Perlman) NO
Washington University in St Louis (NOT CLEAR)
Columbia University NO
Duke University NO (Online must be approved by University) Strongly Preferred IN Person
Yale University NO
University of Michigan Ann Arbor NO

Also, working in the Operating Room I speak to a lot of Medical Students and Resident who strongly suggest the MD route if at all possible because numerous schools are offering DO programs with no real strong relationships to hospital and residency program placement

Here is a list of the Top 10 Easiest Medical Schools they are

University of Arizona College of Medicine
LSU Health Science Center New Orleans
LSU Shreveport School of Medicine
University of North Dakota School of Medicine
University of South Dakota Medical School
University of Massachusetts School of Medicine
University of Oklahoma School of Medicine
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine
Central University of the Caribbean
University of New Mexico

IN HOUSE/IN PERSON
UCLA Extension have a program, you do not have to apply to the program, you just sign up with there Quarter starts (next is January 1st after that April 1st...)

ONLINE CLASSES
Doane University also has a complete ONLINE Health program with all the delicious biology, chemisty, organic chemisty ect courses need they are 8 week classes each, but offcourse refere and do your due diligence and check if the MD school you want to apply to accepts online courses..

ALLEN YOU ARE A ROCK STAR... THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK AND LIST YOU HAVE PROVIDED THUS FAR I WILL BE USING IT AS A GUIDE...

I WILL BE A DOCTOR! CHEERS ALL

Here is a list of the Top 10 Easiest Medical Schools they are

University of Arizona College of Medicine
LSU Health Science Center New Orleans
LSU Shreveport School of Medicine
University of North Dakota School of Medicine
University of South Dakota Medical School
University of Massachusetts School of Medicine
University of Oklahoma School of Medicine
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine
Central University of the Caribbean
University of New Mexico

I WILL BE A DOCTOR! CHEERS ALL

Easiest medical school - how? This list is unsupportable and very inappropriate for most applicants. Most of these have huge, big in-state bias and are not acceptable for most applicants.

okay everyone, calm down... this is a list for me that I thought I would share, its in my personal book and when I had some downtime the other day during work I googled "Online Prerequisite for medical schools and this forum popped up... by end of day today I would have worked 72 hours at the hospital so apologies all around for misspelling "compiling" you all know what I meant...

furthermore, the top ten easiest medical school to get into list are for the career changers whose Science GPA are not up there and they want to get a shot. the stats on the recommended GPA, MCAT scores, ect, are listed on several different articles... google it yourself... off-course as with anything do your own research

I have ONE shot at this, hence when I tried to go the Online Prerequisite route, I didn't want to find out that I wasted my time and $20k in prerequisite course work only to be turned down left and right when applying...

I work alongside surgeon, fellows, residents and med students daily... and these are some of the things they tell me as well.

As everything is life, take what you can and discard of the rest... I will be doing so in this forum

This information is readily available in the official MSAR (medical school admissions requirement) detailed in the "Required/ Recommended Premedical Coursework" section.

View attachment 241934

I've heard it said on this forum and IRL that some of the schools that say they accept online pre-reqs on the MSAR might not actually take them. Any thoughts on the overall trustworthiness of that column? And does it seem to change year to year?

I guess there's no substitute for contacting the schools directly in the end...

okay everyone, calm down... this is a list for me that I thought I would share, its in my personal book and when I had some downtime the other day during work I googled "Online Prerequisite for medical schools and this forum popped up... by end of day today I would have worked 72 hours at the hospital so apologies all around for misspelling "compiling" you all know what I meant...

furthermore, the top ten easiest medical school to get into list are for the career changers whose Science GPA are not up there and they want to get a shot. the stats on the recommended GPA, MCAT scores, ect, are listed on several different articles... google it yourself... off-course as with anything do your own research

I have ONE shot at this, hence when I tried to go the Online Prerequisite route, I didn't want to find out that I wasted my time and $20k in prerequisite course work only to be turned down left and right when applying...

I work alongside surgeon, fellows, residents and med students daily... and these are some of the things they tell me as well.

As everything is life, take what you can and discard of the rest... I will be doing so in this forum
You are being advised to disregard DO schools, and to spend $20k taking online pre-reqs to then apply at MD schools with “lower” stats because they only accept instate applicants.
:/

If you want advice and free knowledge this site is loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The schools listed are not easy to get into for career changers or anyone else with low sGPA. This is just bad advice. I don’t have access to MSAR now but I’d bet that these states let in fewer than 5% out of state applicants annually and none with low stats.

These schools may be “easier” for low stats IN STATE applicants (that is residents of said state) to get into. These schools may accept instate students with lower scores, perhaps as part of their mission to serve the residents of said state.

I just don’t want readers of this post to be mislead and waste money on “easy” schools unless it is their home state.

Last edited:
You are being advised to disregard DO schools, and to spend $20k taking online pre-reqs to then apply at MD schools with “lower” stats because they only accept instate applicants.
:/

If you want advice and free knowledge this loaded.
Agreed

This is awesome! The schools that don't take online credits really grind my gears. I have nearly all of the science prereqs done online since I did my 2nd BS (dietetics) online.

Unfortunately, even if a school accepts online courses, you will probably be a less competitive applicant. I took the majority of the prereqs in person at a university years ago, but I was missing some bio and physics. I took them at UNE as well as other upper division courses like anatomy, physiology, and biochemistry. I really enjoyed them all, especially physics because I was scared of taking that course but ended up doing really well and learned so much. Even though the labs are considered "online", they're really not, most of it was hands-on, you have to purchase the IOLab unit and another kit for second semester. It was very convenient to take them online, but you have to make sure that the schools you're interested in will accept them, especially the labs. I'm lucky that my in-state MD schools accept them and so do a few OOS schools that I'll be applying to, as well as most DO schools.

Unfortunately, even if a school accepts online courses, you will probably be a less competitive applicant.
Truth. But... without online courses, I wouldn't be an applicant at all. Hopefully I can make the entire application package good enough that the online courses won't be an issue.

Reactions: 1 users