Schools Accepting Online Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, there is a lot of talk on here about online prereqs, but not much solid info. I've decided to create a list of schools that accept them. So far I emailed all DO schools. 6 have replied so far and I called NSU. I am still waiting for the rest but was too impatient so I'm starting the thread now. Please feel free to add any schools that you know that accept them or don't. Ill make two sections. Mods, please feel free to format this anyway you'd like. I'm on my phone and I'm no pro on forums as it is.

Schools accepting Online classes (including online labs)

PNWU - as long as regionally accredited.
OU-HCOM - as long as regionally accredited.
ATSU - accepts them, but lab may not look as strong
CUSOM - as long as they are regionally accredited.
DMU-COM - accepted but may affect competitiveness
LMU-DCOM - accepted if regionally accredited
NSU - as long as regionally accredited. Stated on phone that they also offer online schools. Sounded like she thought it was a goofy question to ask if they accept them.
PCOM - accepts online classes from UNECOM. I spoke of that school specifically in my email to them. Not sure what that means about other schools. I'm willing to be that if they take some online then they will take others. Might be safer to doing check though if you have a different school in mind.

Do Not Accept

NYIT-COM
WCU-COM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Here's a link from UNE-COM stating what programs have accepted their biochem class based on students response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
This is awesome! Thanks for doing the leg work for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a problem. I will try to get answers from all DO schools and then I'll work on some MD. I need to find the answers anyway because unless I plan on waiting 4 years to finish prereqs I will need to take a good amount online.

Reactions: 1 user
The MD/AAMC should be answered already in the MSAR. In the last full hard copy (2011-2012) they already noted above the premedical course work table for each school

On-line courses accepted in fulfillment of prerequisites: Yes/No

I am surprised that DO/ACCOM doesnt do that in the CIB, which apparently does not

Would someone with access to the MSAR please post the schools that are accepting online courses. It will be a huge help for this community.

I would suggest that ANY student considering medical school, should spend the $20 bucks and get the MSAR. The information it contains is invaluable and should be treated as a required reference for a upper-level college course. Also, every student should should treat the AMCAS instructions manual like the textbook for a difficult course. Discrepancies with applications, such as miscategorization of courses, cause significant delays in processing for many students. Understanding the AMCAS manual is a vital step in the application process

Thanks Gonnif. Ill be purchasing it when I get home. I've been working off my phone for the past week.

Well, on second thought. Maybe I'll buy it later anyway.

Can we get anyone with the MSAR to fill us in on what MD schools accept online classes? I'm fairly certain I'm only applying DO or I'd buy it myself.

Well, Nobody else was going to help out the community so I spent the money and compiled a list of MD schools that will accept online courses. This list was compiled off of the MSAR online and many state that it is on a case by case basis. If I were you I would call the schools you want to apply to to try to get more information on what that means exactly. The YES's are in bold, but again call to double check.

I hope this helps some of you get over the online course stigma. A lot of schools are accepting them. I am going to be an online promoter on this site. For those of you willing to risk a little please join me. I absolutely have to take online courses. Luckily, I have military tuition assistance that will pay for almost all of it. I am willing to take the risk to prove it can be done. Watch me OR join me. I will be accepted to med school at the end of this journey.

Good luck to all of you.

United States Medical Schools
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Greenville, NC) - case by case
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (Cleveland, Ohio) – Case by case basis
Central Michigan University College of Medicine – Case by Case
Creighton University School of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – Case by Case
Dartmouth Medical School (Hanover, NH) – YES!!!
Duke University School of Medicine (Durham, NC) - Case by Case
East Tennessee State University - James H. Quillen College of Medicine (Johnson City, TN) – YES!
Florida Atlantic – Case by Case
Florida International University College of Medicine (Miami, FL) – Case By Case
Florida State University College of Medicine (Tallahassee, FL) - Case by Case
Georgetown University School of Medicine (Washington D.C.) – Case by Case
Hofstra – Case by Case basis!
Icahn – Case by Case
Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University (Huntington, WV) – Case by Case
Mercer University School of Medicine (Macon, GA) – Case by case
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (East Lansing, MI) - YES!
Mount Sinai School of Medicine (New York, NY) – Case by case (same as Icahn)
New York Medical College -- School of Medicine (Valhalla, NY) – Case by Case
Northwestern University - Feinberg School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by Case
Ohio State University College of Medicine (Columbus, OH) – Case by case
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine (Portland, OR) – Case by case
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center (Chicago, IL) – YES!
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine (Caguas, Puerto Rico) – Case by case
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (Springfield, IL) – YES!
Stanford University School of Medicine (Stanford, CA) – YES!
Texas A & M Health Science Center - College of Medicine (College Station, TX) – Case by Case
Texas Tech University HSC - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine (El Paso, TX) – YES!
Thomas Jefferson University -- Jefferson Medical College (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
Tufts University School of Medicine (Boston, MA) – YES!
Universidad Central del Caribe - School of Medicine (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) – Case by Case
University at Buffalo - School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (The State University of New York) – Case by Case
University of Arizona College of Medicine (Tucson, AZ) – YES!
University of California Irvine - School of Medicine (Irvine, CA) – YES!

University of Chicago - Pritzker School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by case
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Cincinnati, OH) - Yes
University of Colorado School of Medicine (Denver, CO) – YES!

University of Connecticut School of Medicine (Farmington, CT) – Case by Case
University of Florida College of Medicine (Gainesville, FL) – Case by Case
University of Hawaii at Manoa - John A. Burns School of Medicine (Honolulu, HI) – Case by Case
University of Illinois College of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – case by case
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine (Iowa City, IA) – Case by Case
University of Kentucky College of Medicine (Lexington, KY) – YES!
University of Louisville School of Medicine (Louisville, KY) – Case by Case
University of Michigan Medical School (Ann Arbor, MI) – YES!
University of Minnesota Medical School (Minneapolis) – Case by Case
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine – YES!
University of Missouri - Columbia School of Medicine (Columbia, MO) – YES!
University of Nebraska Medical Center - College of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – YES!

University of New Mexico School of Medicine (Albuquerque, NM) – Case by case
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill School of Medicine (Chapel Hill, NC) – case by case
University of North Dakota - School of Medicine and Health Sciences (Grand Forks, ND) – case by case
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (Oklahoma City, OK) – YES!
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
University of South Alabama College of Medicine (Mobile, AL) – Case by case
University of South Florida College of Medicine (Tampa, FL) – N/a
University of Tennessee HSC College of Medicine (Memphis, TN) – case by case
University of Texas HSC - San Antonio School of Medicine (San Antonio, TX) - Na
University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio – case by case
University of Texas SMC at Dallas - Southwestern Medical School (Dallas, TX) – case by case
University of Toledo College of Medicine (Toledo, OH) – YES!
University of Utah School of Medicine (Salt Lake City, UT) – YES!

University of Vermont College of Medicine (Burlington, VT) – case by case
University of Washington School of Medicine / Alaska WWAMI – Yes!
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (Madison, WI) – case by case
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (Richmond, VA) – case by case
Wake Forest University School of Medicine - Bowman Gray Campus (Winston-Salem, North Carolina) – case by case
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University (Providence, RI) – case by case
Weill Cornell Medical College (Manhattan, NY) – case by case
Wright State University - Boonshoft School of Medicine (Dayton, OH) – case by case

Reactions: 12 users
Mods, Maybe this is worth becoming a sticky?? It fits in a few different forums, but I don't want to copy it into each one.

Just curious as I'm not planning on taking any online courses, but how do "online labs" work?

Also, remember that just because a school technically accepts online courses doesn't mean it will interpret it as a university course equivalent when reviewing an application. I did my undergraduate degree at one of the of the MD schools on your list that technically accepts some online credits, and in reality no online course would be taken seriously. Some of my pre-med friends there were advised that CC courses put applicants at a significant disadvantage, and online courses were even farther behind CC courses.

So there is a big difference between which box the school checks on the "accepts online coursework?" column of a questionnaire and what actually happens when they are reviewing an application.

I sincerely don't mean that in any negative way and I'm not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, I just want to let you know my experience with this. I think it's worth keeping in mind.

Just curious as I'm not planning on taking any online courses, but how do "online labs" work?

Also, remember that just because a school technically accepts online courses doesn't mean it will interpret it as a university course equivalent when reviewing an application. I did my undergraduate degree at one of the of the MD schools on your list that technically accepts some online credits, and in reality no online course would be taken seriously. Some of my pre-med friends there were advised that CC courses put applicants at a significant disadvantage, and online courses were even farther behind CC courses.

So there is a big difference between which box the school checks on the "accepts online coursework?" column of a questionnaire and what actually happens when they are reviewing an application.

I sincerely don't mean that in any negative way and I'm not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, I just want to let you know my experience with this. I think it's worth keeping in mind.

Appreciate the input. I have no doubt some schools rank online last. Many of the schools on that list state case by case for onlin and CC. I personally won't be applying to them. From what I found most DO schools on the list don't have a bias. This is absolutely something applicants have to take into consideration.

The labs at most schools aren't actually online. You purchase a lab kit and perform the labs at home the same way you would in class. I don't have experience with this yet but I'm willing to bet setting up a running a lab solo is much harder than splitting the effort between a lab partner or group. I'll make sure to update the thread when I have more experienxe.

My point in this thread is to give people hope who absolutely have to take online courses. Some of us are in that situation. If they want this bad enough online is an option but they need to understand the rest of their application needs to be phenomenal. I would never recommend online to people trying to take an easy route. Many people will tell you online courses, especially the scienences, can be much tougher than traditional classes.

Also.......it is not always so cut and dry. If a pressing reason exists as to why the student took the online class they may be more flexible. For example, if the family is military then many schools take that into consideration if they were stationed in Germany or Japan and did not have access to many face to face classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also.......it is not always so cut and dry. If a pressing reason exists as to why the student took the online class they may be more flexible. For example, if the family is military then many schools take that into consideration if they were stationed in Germany or Japan and did not have access to many face to face classes.

Exactly. I really think we will see a shift in mind sets in the near future regarding online courses. In many ways they are more difficult than traditional classes and the technology for the labs is getting to the point where there are some benefits to them over traditional labs as well. I haven't experienced them first hand, but Id have to assume there a virtualizations you can do and practice online that wouldn't be safe or possible in a school lab.

Im not going to take online classes because I dont need to.

However out of curiosity, how would the school even know? When I was in law school I talked to some people who took online classes and asked if they felt it was held against them in admissions. Most of them said that it doesnt show up as being an online class on their transcript.

Reactions: 2 users
I cant thank you enough for putting up this information. My paramedic partner and I were talking about researching this information. You gave us hope. Im a non traditional student and have a family so this really gave me hope.

On a side note I called and spoke to someone in admissions a Touro DO School in NYC... they accept online science classes from UNE... But please Reconfirm this for yourself .. just in case.

Well, there is a lot of talk on here about online prereqs, but not much solid info. I've decided to create a list of schools that accept them. So far I emailed all DO schools. 6 have replied so far and I called NSU. I am still waiting for the rest but was too impatient so I'm starting the thread now. Please feel free to add any schools that you know that accept them or don't. Ill make two sections. Mods, please feel free to format this anyway you'd like. I'm on my phone and I'm no pro on forums as it is.

Schools accepting Online classes (including online labs)

PNWU - as long as regionally accredited.
OU-HCOM - as long as regionally accredited.
ATSU - accepts them, but lab may not look as strong
CUSOM - as long as they are regionally accredited.
DMU-COM - accepted but may affect competitiveness
LMU-DCOM - accepted if regionally accredited
NSU - as long as regionally accredited. Stated on phone that they also offer online schools. Sounded like she thought it was a goofy question to ask if they accept them.
PCOM - accepts online classes from UNECOM. I spoke of that school specifically in my email to them. Not sure what that means about other schools. I'm willing to be that if they take some online then they will take others. Might be safer to doing check though if you have a different school in mind.

Do Not Accept

NYIT-COM
WCU-COM

I cant thank you enough for putting up this information. My paramedic partner and I were talking about researching this information. You gave us hope. Im a non traditional student and have a family so this really gave me hope.

Not a problem. I knew there were going to be other people in the same boat I'm in. It really didn't take very long either.

Btw, Thanks for checking up on Touro. I e-mailed every DO school, but only the ones on that list responded. I meant to call the rest, but haven't gotten to it yet. You just saved me a call.

Im not going to take online classes because I dont need to.

However out of curiosity, how would the school even know? When I was in law school I talked to some people who took online classes and asked if they felt it was held against them in admissions. Most of them said that it doesnt show up as being an online class on their transcript.

I'd like to know this too. I think some other careers have a question on the application about whether the coursework was online or not. I don't think the med apps do though. I think adcoms would know some of the major online schools right now. They won't know all of them. I figure that if worst comes to worst it won't come up until the interview. By that time you should be able to sell yourself.

Exactly. I really think we will see a shift in mind sets in the near future regarding online courses. In many ways they are more difficult than traditional classes and the technology for the labs is getting to the point where there are some benefits to them over traditional labs as well. I haven't experienced them first hand, but Id have to assume there a virtualizations you can do and practice online that wouldn't be safe or possible in a school lab.

Both of my parents are professors who teach both in-person and online courses offered through their college so I have a bit of a unique perspective on this, and they say the quality of eduction that somebody can get through an online course simply can't equate to the quality of education you can get in person. I can imagine that it is more "difficult" in that you have to jump through more hoops for the online course, but I don't think that necessarily translates to a better education.

In addition, as somebody who works full-time in a biomedical research lab, there is simply zero possibility that a lab can be effectively re-created at home. None whatsoever. Again, I am sure that they are indeed "more difficult" as you're trying to do a lab at home, but in no way can they come close to teaching you about an actual lab. My labs in school were essentially the same as my current research lab, and we were able to practice techniques that I use every day now. You can't get those chemicals or that equipment at home.

I really don't say this to be negative, but just to help you understand that online classes have some very real limitations and those limitations will be taken into consideration by any admissions committee. There are legitimate reasons for adcoms to be hesitant to consider online courses and I think anybody who relies on them for med school admissions is just putting one more hurdle in front of them. I'm not qualified to comment on whether that hurdle can be overcome, and it sounds like some of the research you have done suggests it can, it certainly seems like risky business to me.

This is all I'll say on the subject as I don't want to get into a debate about the quality of online courses, but I just wanted to throw those points out there for consideration.

Both of my parents are professors who teach both in-person and online courses offered through their college so I have a bit of a unique perspective on this, and they say the quality of eduction that somebody can get through an online course simply can't equate to the quality of education you can get in person. I can imagine that it is more "difficult" in that you have to jump through more hoops for the online course, but I don't think that necessarily translates to a better education.

In addition, as somebody who works full-time in a biomedical research lab, there is simply zero possibility that a lab can be effectively re-created at home. None whatsoever. Again, I am sure that they are indeed "more difficult" as you're trying to do a lab at home, but in no way can they come close to teaching you about an actual lab. My labs in school were essentially the same as my current research lab, and we were able to practice techniques that I use every day now. You can't get those chemicals or that equipment at home.

I really don't say this to be negative, but just to help you understand that online classes have some very real limitations and those limitations will be taken into consideration by any admissions committee. There are legitimate reasons for adcoms to be hesitant to consider online courses and I think anybody who relies on them for med school admissions is just putting one more hurdle in front of them. I'm not qualified to comment on whether that hurdle can be overcome, and it sounds like some of the research you have done suggests it can, it certainly seems like risky business to me.

This is all I'll say on the subject as I don't want to get into a debate about the quality of online courses, but I just wanted to throw those points out there for consideration.

I just don't buy it and many many institutions aren't buying it either anymore. When they tape the exact same lecture that is given in a class and provide it online what is the difference? It is as if you were sitting in the class. If you have questions you can e-mail the professor. You do the same homework, same tests, same everything as if you were in the brick and mortar school.

I'd be willing to say that an online education could give you more interaction than a professor at a brick and mortar school because they are not teaching an auditorium of 200 students.

As for the labs, they are done with lab kits that you have to set up and conduct for yourself. You're still conducting the same experiments you would in class except now you're doing it at home, by yourself, without the four other lab partners and a teacher guiding you step by step.

Okay, I'll bite this time, but I don't want to get dragged into a debate here...

In-person courses aren't just about the lectures. In fact, lectures are the most insignificant part of a class, in my opinion. The real learning takes place in conversations with the professor, with asking questions, getting instant feedback, and probing concepts. All of this can theoretically be done online, but in practice the amount of time it takes to do this precludes achieving the volume of intellectual interaction you can get in an in-person course. But hey, don't take my word for it; my parents' experiences teaching both in-person and online courses reflect this as well. As hard as they work providing the best education to all of their students, they say that in the end, the online students just don't get nearly as much out of the class.

As for the labs, you simply can't conduct the experiments you would conduct in class. I'm not sure how you're arguing otherwise. I mean, my simplest Bio lab involved extracting DNA from bacteria we cultured ourselves, designing primers, doing a PCR and running it on a gel, which we then visualized. In order to do this, you need equipment worth literally hundreds of thousands of dollars and chemicals that aren't available for home use (and no, would never be included in a "home lab" kit). Of course the home lab is "harder" because you're trying to figure out whatever they have you do with no help, but you don't come out of the home lab with bacteria culturing, DNA extraction, primer design, PCR, and gel experience.

You're still conducting the same experiments you would in class except now you're doing it at home, by yourself, without the four other lab partners and a teacher guiding you step by step.

Oh, and aside from the assertion that the same lab experiments can be conducted at home that I addressed in my previous post, I think you may have a misunderstanding of what college labs are.

What you describe sounds like high school labs. In college, there is no guiding step by step. There are no lab partners most of the time. In Chem and Orgo labs, we spent the first two lab sessions learning how to use the equipment and then were on our own for the rest of the semester. The professor or TA is present in case there is a safety issue. We were given tasks like "determine the content of the white powder I am giving you in this vial," and then we were on our own to do it, using, like I said, equipment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But no working with four lab partners, no teacher telling you what steps to take. That was high school.

Oh, and aside from the assertion that the same lab experiments can be conducted at home that I addressed in my previous post, I think you may have a misunderstanding of what college labs are.

What you describe sounds like high school labs. In college, there is no guiding step by step. There are no lab partners most of the time. In Chem and Orgo labs, we spent the first two lab sessions learning how to use the equipment and then were on our own for the rest of the semester. The professor or TA is present in case there is a safety issue. We were given tasks like "determine the content of the white powder I am giving you in this vial," and then we were on our own to do it, using, like I said, equipment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But no working with four lab partners, no teacher telling you what steps to take. That was high school.

We are talking undergraduate labs. As much as premeds want to make this stuff sound so hard and superior it is not rocket science. Technology will allow for duplication outside of the school lab.

Okay, I'll bite this time, but I don't want to get dragged into a debate here...

In-person courses aren't just about the lectures. In fact, lectures are the most insignificant part of a class, in my opinion. The real learning takes place in conversations with the professor, with asking questions, getting instant feedback, and probing concepts. All of this can theoretically be done online, but in practice the amount of time it takes to do this precludes achieving the volume of intellectual interaction you can get in an in-person course. But hey, don't take my word for it; my parents' experiences teaching both in-person and online courses reflect this as well. As hard as they work providing the best education to all of their students, they say that in the end, the online students just don't get nearly as much out of the class.

As for the labs, you simply can't conduct the experiments you would conduct in class. I'm not sure how you're arguing otherwise. I mean, my simplest Bio lab involved extracting DNA from bacteria we cultured ourselves, designing primers, doing a PCR and running it on a gel, which we then visualized. In order to do this, you need equipment worth literally hundreds of thousands of dollars and chemicals that aren't available for home use (and no, would never be included in a "home lab" kit). Of course the home lab is "harder" because you're trying to figure out whatever they have you do with no help, but you don't come out of the home lab with bacteria culturing, DNA extraction, primer design, PCR, and gel experience.

I won't argue that an online course can top a one on one session with the professor. When we are comparing the average brick and mortar class with the online setting it's a different comparison though. These first and second year courses are taught in auditoriums in most schools. There are 50, 100, 200 kids per class. Each student is not getting the one on one interaction you speak of. They are sitting in a lecture the same way you would online. They go do their homework the same way they would online and if they have any questions they e-mail the professor or go into officer hours. The same thing could be done online.

The top brick and mortar school with the appropriate class size and setting will outperform an online school for the time being. When considering most schools though there is no difference at all and online may beat them out in many instances.

We are talking undergraduate labs. As much as premeds want to make this stuff sound so hard and superior it is not rocket science. Technology will allow for duplication outside of the school lab.

I am talking about my experience in an undergrad lab. That Bio lab I described was from my Bio 101 class in undergrad. I have a Biology undergraduate degree; I know about undergrad science labs.

You are talking about high school labs.

Agreed that you can re-create a high school lab at home. You cannot re-create an undergrad lab at home. Period.

I've taken aero and propulsion labs, aka "rocket science."

I've also taken the bio labs, chem lab, physics labs, and now the organic lab needed for med school.

I think I have a base of comparison.

The technology needed for these experiments is exactly what will prevent someone from carrying these out in their home.

I've taken aero and propulsion labs, aka "rocket science."

I've also taken the bio labs, chem lab, physics labs, and now the organic lab needed for med school.

I think I have a base of comparison.

The technology needed for these experiments is exactly what will prevent someone from carrying these out in their home.

Well, you've just done it all haven't you smart guy? I won't argue with someone that knows it all and has done everything. Go give your opinion to UNE-COM, NSU, American Millitary University, Penn State University, the whole community college of Colorado system, the 80% of DO schools that accept (and provide) online coursework, and the 61 MD schools that accept it. I'm wise and humble enough to know that they probably know a little bit more than I do about education and the best ways of getting information across to students.

Online learning will continue to grow. Don't bother fighting it.

Allen, the point we're making is that these schools that say they accept online coursework may accept it in theory but not in practice. I attended one of these schools, so I know that at least one MD school on your list that says that it accepts online coursework actually doesn't. Anybody anticipating using online coursework for prereqs should be aware of this.

Nobody knows everything, but perhaps some of us who actually have experience in undergrad labs have a bit more insight into undergrad labs than somebody who has never taken one before.

That is all. Best of luck to you.

Well, you've just done it all haven't you smart guy? I won't argue with someone that knows it all and has done everything. Go give your opinion to UNE-COM, NSU, American Millitary University, Penn State University, the whole community college of Colorado system, the 80% of DO schools that accept (and provide) online coursework, and the 61 MD schools that accept it. I'm wise and humble enough to know that they probably know a little bit more than I do about education and the best ways of getting information across to students.

I've noticed a trend here, you're 3 for 3 on this. You make non-sense claims about something you have no experience with, others who have experience with the things you're making claims about interject to correct your baseless assumptions, and instead of wisely and humbly (to use your words) learning from others experience and integrating that into your world view, you reject what they say, revert back to your baseless assumptions, and for some reason with me interject this red hearing which is basically "Oh you think your better than me so nothing you say has any relevance". Which is just more nonsense.

But please, tell us more about undergrad labs.

I've noticed a trend here, you're 3 for 3 on this. You make non-sense claims about something you have no experience with, others who have experience with the things you're making claims about interject to correct your baseless assumptions, and instead of wisely and humbly (to use your words) learning from others experience and integrating that into your world view, you reject what they say, revert back to your baseless assumptions, and for some reason with me interject this red hearing which is basically "Oh you think your better than me so nothing you say has any relevance". Which is just more nonsense.

But please, tell us more about undergrad labs.

This has nothing to do with my experience, knowledge, or viewpoint. Take your little talking points to UNE-COM, NSU, or any of the other universities who are not only accepting online coursework, but also using it themselves. This thread has nothing to do with assumptions and everything to do with FACTS. The facts are that many many schools are now accepting online coursework.

Accept it, sure. But I've been in on admissions meetings at one of the aformentioned MD schools.....I'll just say that, unless very unique circumstances apply, I would avoid online and CC classes. But, to each their own I guess. Good luck.

Accept it, sure. But I've been in on admissions meetings at one of the aformentioned MD schools.....I'll just say that, unless very unique circumstances apply, I would avoid online and CC classes. But, to each their own I guess. Good luck.

Would that possibly be one of the schools listed as "case by case"?

Does anyone on this site need clarification on what case by case means? I think we can all figure out that for those schools it depends on the circumstances. We are college educated folk around here, no?

The school I attended is not listed as case-by-case, but it does not accept online pre-reqs.

The school I attended is not listed as case-by-case, but it does not accept online pre-reqs.

Then why don't you go ahead and update the masses on what school it is and who you talked to to determine that they do not accept them. Those schools, as I stated above, were all listed on the MSAR as accepting them. I also stated that everyone should double check. So now that we are getting mixed info about a particular school help us out.

Would that possibly be one of the schools listed as "case by case"?

Does anyone on this site need clarification on what case by case means? I think we can all figure out that for those schools it depends on the circumstances. We are college educated folk around here, no?

I don't think you need to get so defensive. The fact is that online or community college work is viewed as inferior to university work (based on my experiences it is, but I suppose it depends on the class/institution), and that has been well documented around here. The fact that you are implying that they are viewed equally is detrimental to other pre-meds on this site. It's akin to looking at what the lowest matriculating student's GPA/MCAT combination was and aiming for that, then telling everyone you don't need good stats to get into medical school. If it's the only thing that works for you that's one thing, but if you have a choice then clearly the best option is take your classes at a four year university.

I don't think you need to get so defensive. The fact is that online or community college work is viewed as inferior to university work (based on my experiences it is, but I suppose it depends on the class/institution), and that has been well documented around here. The fact that you are implying that they are viewed equally is detrimental to other pre-meds on this site. It's akin to looking at what the lowest matriculating student's GPA/MCAT combination was and aiming for that, then telling everyone you don't need good stats to get into medical school. If it's the only thing that works for you that's one thing, but if you have a choice then clearly the best option is take your classes at a four year university.

This is hardly worth a response because it is obvious you haven't read the whole thread but for the sake of bumping it back to the top I will. Go back and read my post that includes the list of MD schools. Does it not say that people should call the school in all cases?
What about my DO list? Does that not list next to the school which ones told me that they view online courses as inferior to classroom work?

I wouldn't have to keep countering the horse **** around here if you'd take the time and read what I post before you chime in. I apologize or sounding annoyed, but you guys come here with no contribution and I have to keep repeating myself because of it.

Then why don't you go ahead and update the masses on what school it is and who you talked to to determine that they do not accept them. Those schools, as I stated above, were all listed on the MSAR as accepting them. I also stated that everyone should double check. So now that we are getting mixed info about a particular school help us out.

I don't feel comfortable naming the school as I would like to preserve my anonymity. I did mention several times that I attended undergrad at that school and -- I'm not sure how else I can say this -- while the med school technically says it accepts online coursework (hence the listing on MSAR and telling anybody who officially inquires that they do) in practice it does not. So yes, it would appear on your list, and yes, they would say they accept online courses, but if you apply there with online prereqs, you will not be accepted.

Hence I feel the need, as a public service, to let this be known.

With that, I'm off this thread for good. Good luck to everybody, wherever and however you are taking your prereqs!

As someone who's had plenty of exposure to both online schooling and in-person classes, and has a reason to take courses online....I'll give you SOME leeway. I am willing to bet that the medical schools accept online coursework in degree completion, but frown upon taking online courses for completion of pre-reqs with labs.

Before you get huffy...I have plenty of experience with AMU, UMUC, and other online courses and schools, and am certain that the online labs DO NOT compare to doing them in-person. That's the whole reason I'm going to a b&m school and gettting the hands-on experience.

My application would show why I HAD to take online pre-reqs, but I chose not to. Others may want to roll the dice, but unless you're already running with a 3.8+ and a 32+ MCAT, I'd probably caution against it as you don't want to limit yourself in this application process.

Yes, I'm sure people get in with online pre-reqs....but they'd better have a damn good application and be leaps and bounds above the other applicants and have a reason for doing it online other than work schedules and family. You can't mail it in for medical school and do that all online. I think that's what people are trying to get at. Some is ok, but if your entire degree is online....meh.

As someone who's had plenty of exposure to both online schooling and in-person classes, and has a reason to take courses online....I'll give you SOME leeway. I am willing to bet that the medical schools accept online coursework in degree completion, but frown upon taking online courses for completion of pre-reqs with labs.

Before you get huffy...I have plenty of experience with AMU, UMUC, and other online courses and schools, and am certain that the online labs DO NOT compare to doing them in-person. That's the whole reason I'm going to a b&m school and gettting the hands-on experience.

My application would show why I HAD to take online pre-reqs, but I chose not to. Others may want to roll the dice, but unless you're already running with a 3.8+ and a 32+ MCAT, I'd probably caution against it as you don't want to limit yourself in this application process.

Yes, I'm sure people get in with online pre-reqs....but they'd better have a damn good application and be leaps and bounds above the other applicants and have a reason for doing it online other than work schedules and family. You can't mail it in for medical school and do that all online. I think that's what people are trying to get at. Some is ok, but if your entire degree is online....meh.

My friend, I'm sure people appreciate your concern, but you really have nothing to base this on. You are a Premed student trying to get by just like everyone else. Your opinion does not reflect those of the adcoms.

Thanks again for the input, but let the admissions offices dictate what is acceptable coursework.

I don't feel comfortable naming the school as I would like to preserve my anonymity. I did mention several times that I attended undergrad at that school and -- I'm not sure how else I can say this -- while the med school technically says it accepts online coursework (hence the listing on MSAR and telling anybody who officially inquires that they do) in practice it does not. So yes, it would appear on your list, and yes, they would say they accept online courses, but if you apply there with online prereqs, you will not be accepted.

Hence I feel the need, as a public service, to let this be known.

With that, I'm off this thread for good. Good luck to everybody, wherever and however you are taking your prereqs!

You're a troll bro. You think out of 10000s of students that go through a school somebody is going to identify you by saying you went there? Get over yourself dude.

Getting back to facts/concerns here. There are a few things students should consider about online courses:

1) Competitiveness: With the competition for seats and med school process being about 80% negative (ie they are looking to weed out applicants); students should take an overall assessment of their application. I would speculate that online courses are still perceived as not as rigorous as brick and mortar classes (this is not a judgement as whether or not they are; simply the perception that will exist amongst adcoms members).

Obviously nontraditional student implies atypical background. As has been pointed out, active military may not other options. Indeed taking online courses while on active duty can be viewed as accomplishment.

2) Supplement with brick and mortar classes: My suggestion is to not rely solely on online courses and and students should see some upper level classes on campus.

3) Check specific schools: While schools do list acceptance of online prereqs; some may have some qualifications (ie some course accepted, others not) . By the same token, schools that do list specifically list online may accept some. As always the application is your responsibility and it is always worthwhile to double check

4) Schools that offer both: Many traditional colleges now offer online courses in addition to classroom courses. Some of them take the philosophy that, since their name is being used, their online courses are fully equivalent to classroom and do not note the course was online on transcript . I am fairly sure that Purdue does this. It may be worthwhile to investigate this and utilize schools in this class.

Great advice Gonnif!! Thank you for posting this. My intent with this thread is to let people know there is hope if they HAVE to take online courses. They do need to be aware of risks and prepare accordingly. They should alos contact EVERY school to find out as much as they can about their admissions requirements.

For those that are interersted, I e-mailed LECOM about this and here is the response I recieved:

Your perquisites cannot be done online. We do accept Community College credits. You will want to consider the competiveness when choosing your course work and where you perform it.

Great info! Thanks for compiling this! I believe we are going to see a huge shift in the acceptability of online prereqs, especially because some universities do not bother to differentiate between their classroom, hybrid, and online sections of the same course. Education should be a progressive endeavor, and medical schools will follow suit.

For those that are interersted, I e-mailed LECOM about this and here is the response I recieved:

Your perquisites cannot be done online. We do accept Community College credits. You will want to consider the competiveness when choosing your course work and where you perform it.

That's some great info, especially since it's tough to distinguish what school will accept what, even with the wealth of info currently available. I think I'm going to stay on the safe side and take my classes at the university I go to...:cool:

It's HARD being a non-traditional student.

That's some great info, especially since it's tough to distinguish what school will accept what, even with the wealth of info currently available. I think I'm going to stay on the safe side and take my classes at the university I go to...:cool:

It's HARD being a non-traditional student.

You can always ask, but yeah, I agree that it's super time consuming to need to figure out the exceptions and work-arounds as being a non-trad.

Just wanted to update this thread. I have just finished my first semester of courses through CCConline, the Community College of Colorado System. For those of you not aware it's a group of schools in colorado (I want to say around 13 of them) that have pooled resources and created an online system for students to take classes.

You enroll in a "home" institution, which will be the school you receive your credits and degree from. The transcripts you receive will come from this home school.

The science courses are very good and the labs are actually done in your home. As part of the course you receive a kit. We performed just about all the same labs you would in a normal class.

I think this is a great option for those of us needing to take classes online.