School Psychology PhD/PsyD thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I can tell you which one not to go to...

Worst experience ever at St. John's
Can you share why?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you share why?

I am currently on my third year internship and finding how much I was taught incorrectly by St. John's. I am in a specialized special education school and I feel I was vastly under prepared to work with this population, luckily I have prior experience and knowledge. When asked for help or guidance I wasn't offered much despite multiple attempts. The school is still personally calling me inviting me to the school psychology open house. Each semester I have to prove I am a student to be able to register. The list goes on and on.

My goal is to earn a PsyD, but I am unsure whether to do my Masters in Professional Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy or Applied Psychology and what online school is the best. I am currently looking at Liberty University Online, Sacred Heart University, Capella, and Walden. Can anyone offer me some advice please?

Members don't see this ad :)
My goal is to earn a PsyD, but I am unsure whether to do my Masters in Professional Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy or Applied Psychology and what online school is the best. I am currently looking at Liberty University Online, Sacred Heart University, Capella, and Walden. Can anyone offer me some advice please?

Honestly, particularly when you take price into account, online graduate degrees by and large just aren't worth it. You're better off either trying to find a paying gig as a research assistant or completing a traditional brick-and-mortar masters program (preferably with some type of financial aid). As for the degree area itself, doctoral programs (more so with clinical) prefer non-terminal (e.g., clinical psych or experimental psych) rather than terminal (e.g., social work, counseling) degrees. However, the bonus with a terminal degree is that if you decide not to go on to doctoral study, you're still license-eligible (after obtaining the requisite supervised practice hours and passing any necessary exams) at the masters level.

^
Hey, did you end up getting in off the WL?

Also, is anyone applying to just PhD/PsyD programs out of undergrad and not applying to EdS programs? I think a PhD/PsyD would be a much better fit for me and what I want to do, but is this too risky?
I am reading this years later, and I wanted to know what your ultimate decision and outcome was, if you do not mind.