School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vrazzles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted to maintain anonymity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks good to me so far, you've got the stats and the ECs to apply very top-heavy.

When it actually gets closer to application time I'd post an update categorized by activity type (e.g. service, research, clinical exp, etc) and final list. Easier to read than chronological style.

Looks good to me so far, you've got the stats and the ECs to apply very top-heavy.

When it actually gets closer to application time I'd post an update categorized by activity type (e.g. service, research, clinical exp, etc) and final list. Easier to read than chronological style.
Thank you very much efle! I thought it seemed disorganized while I was doing it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will your mcat still be good when you get back?
It'll be on the very edge. I'll be applying 6/2019 with a matriculation year of 2020. From what I've gleaned from perusing medical school websites, some schools say MCATs are valid 3 years from application date, while others say 3 years from matriculation date. In the first case, earliest valid MCAT would be 2016 for me, and in the latter, it would be 2017. So both would be doable; I just hope that I have enough internet to successfully apply from abroad.

The MCAT should be fine almost everywhere, schools usually want 3 calendar years prior to matriculation (so for entering in August 2020, a score from any time in 2017).

For example you can go look through the MSAR right now as if you had a score from mid 2015, for entry at the end of this cycle in 2018. I just looked at a dozen top private programs and every single one is fine with mid-2015 for this cycle.

The MCAT should be fine almost everywhere, schools usually want 3 calendar years prior to matriculation (so for entering in August 2020, a score from any time in 2017).

For example you can go look through the MSAR right now as if you had a score from mid 2015, for entry at the end of this cycle in 2018. I just looked at a dozen top private programs and every single one is fine with mid-2015 for this cycle.
Thank you for doing that. It's nice to hear that from someone more knowledgeable than I. Do you think my undergrads utter lack of prestige will hold be back when applying to top schools? I attended there because I was an awful adolescent and wanted to stay close to my parents to repair my relationship with them...

Thank you for doing that. It's nice to hear that from someone more knowledgeable than I. Do you think my undergrads utter lack of prestige will hold be back when applying to top schools? I attended there because I was an awful adolescent and wanted to stay close to my parents to repair my relationship with them...
Did you receive a scholarship to attend your current school? If so, you'll be able to put that in your app and people do understand that sometimes finances decide for you where you get your education.

Even if not, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is true that at interview days and second look visits the majority of people are from Ivy type colleges, but there's also always people from state schools, or liberal arts colleges I'd never heard of. With a ~79 LizzyM, and strong ECs including research and Peace Corps, I think you could apply to a top heavy list of just ~12-15 schools and still have plenty of interviews. With your current list you'll probably have so many invites you'll start declining to attend some.

I have one more question. As I've said, I hope to apply to medical school from Tanzania, as I come back in September-October of 2019, right in time for interviews. If I do not apply in 2019, my MCAT will expire and I will have to retake, which is something that I'd like to avoid at almost all costs. If I have sufficient internet access near me in Tanzania, I am willing to do what it takes to apply. If this proves impossible, I will accrue my vacation days (2 a month) and travel to the US in May 2019 to fill out and submit my primary application, and hopefully some secondaries (not sure about timeline). If this (for some reason) proves impossible, I don't know what I'll do. My options would be to quit peace corps 3 months from my finishing date (something I really don't want to do) and apply with that on my application and conscience, or retake the MCAT, and wait another year before applying (something I also really don't want to do). I would greatly appreciate advice. How would quitting peace corps so close to the finishing date, and for these reasons be seen by top schools? I don't want to seem uncommitted to service, as I am, but I also don't want to let a 524 MCAT expire and spend another year not being in med school. Thank you for your advice in advance.

@gyngyn @LizzyM @efle

Much will depend on your internet access in Tanzania. If you can submit your AMCAS application, order transcripts sent to AMCAS, request LORs, receive email, and return secondaries online you should be fine.

I'd cut that list to not more than 15. Eliminate any school you would not attend if it were the only school that offered you s seat. I suspect that you will have at least 6 schools to choose from when offers go out.

Much will depend on your internet access in Tanzania. If you can submit your AMCAS application, order transcripts sent to AMCAS, request LORs, receive email, and return secondaries online you should be fine.

I'd cut that list to not more than 15. Eliminate any school you would not attend if it were the only school that offered you s seat. I suspect that you will have at least 6 schools to choose from when offers go out.
Thank you for your reply. Your advice to others has helped me before.
I have already obtained my LORs and am storing them in an Interfolio dossier.
I would be honored to attend all of the schools that I have listed; however, I will heed your wise advice.

I have one more question. As I've said, I hope to apply to medical school from Tanzania, as I come back in September-October of 2019, right in time for interviews. If I do not apply in 2019, my MCAT will expire and I will have to retake, which is something that I'd like to avoid at almost all costs. If I have sufficient internet access near me in Tanzania, I am willing to do what it takes to apply. If this proves impossible, I will accrue my vacation days (2 a month) and travel to the US in May 2019 to fill out and submit my primary application, and hopefully some secondaries (not sure about timeline). If this (for some reason) proves impossible, I don't know what I'll do. My options would be to quit peace corps 3 months from my finishing date (something I really don't want to do) and apply with that on my application and conscience, or retake the MCAT, and wait another year before applying (something I also really don't want to do). I would greatly appreciate advice. How would quitting peace corps so close to the finishing date, and for these reasons be seen by top schools? I don't want to seem uncommitted to service, as I am, but I also don't want to let a 524 MCAT expire and spend another year not being in med school. Thank you for your advice in advance.

@gyngyn @LizzyM @efle
I think this would be something worth asking the in country program manager so you can start to plan ahead, if such a person exists.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this would be something worth asking the in country program manager so you can start to plan ahead, if such a person exists.
I plan to bring this up with the country director early on in my service :)
Thank you for your advice.

@gyngyn @LizzyM @efle

What is your departure date for PC?
You seem to get this....you don't go into it saying you're going to quit early. You're making a commitment to serve your country and your host site has gone through the trouble to request a volunteer. Quitting is akin to a dishonorable discharge. I'm sure ad coms may not be aware, but if I were an ad com and a person who commited and quit for this reason cam across my desk, I'd toss it.

A lot of times you can COS (close of service) within 60 days of your end date, with approval from the CD. I got an exceptional approval to COS ninety days early because my grandma was on her death bed and I had already closed service at my primary site to become a trainer for the last three months.

All this to say....it will work out! Hakuna matata

You will figure all this out when you get there and you will have PLENTY of time to decide when is the right time to leave. Schools will probably be MORE than happy to save a later interview spot for you and you will definitely be able to access AMCAS from Tanzania!! It's not like you're going to the bottom of the ocean...

Be sure to get your official xcripts before you go so you can fill out amcas. Good luck, I hope you have an awesome service and get to summit Kili!

What is your departure date for PC?
You seem to get this....you don't go into it saying you're going to quit early. You're making a commitment to serve your country and your host site has gone through the trouble to request a volunteer. Quitting is akin to a dishonorable discharge. I'm sure ad coms may not be aware, but if I were an ad com and a person who commited and quit for this reason cam across my desk, I'd toss it.

A lot of times you can COS (close of service) within 60 days of your end date, with approval from the CD. I got an exceptional approval to COS ninety days early because my grandma was on her death bed and I had already closed service at my primary site to become a trainer for the last three months.

All this to say....it will work out! Hakuna matata

You will figure all this out when you get there and you will have PLENTY of time to decide when is the right time to leave. Schools will probably be MORE than happy to save a later interview spot for you and you will definitely be able to access AMCAS from Tanzania!! It's not like you're going to the bottom of the ocean...

Be sure to get your official xcripts before you go so you can fill out amcas. Good luck, I hope you have an awesome service and get to summit Kili!
Thank you for your reply. As I said, I don't want to quit early and don't think I would even if it meant an expired MCAT and another year of wait. If I was an ADCOM, and I saw something like this, it would give me strong doubts as to the intentions of the applicant, and I really don't want to be that kind of person. I plan to talk to my country director about this early in service. Thank you for your perspective on internet access in Tanzania, it is comforting :) My departure date is 7/7/17. Sounds pretty lucky, huh?

Yeah, you'll be fine. Even if you COS on time, you'll be back for interview season, but it will be no issue to close in late August or September. Sounds like a perfect timeline. Very jealous! I'd do it again in every country if possible! I hope you love it! Depending on your CD's personality, I'd just wait until your first site visit to discuss your med school timeline. Stay chill, you'll be golden! And stay healthy and out of trouble! :)

Thank you for serving!

One (truly) final question:

I got a response from efle as to the importance of my undergraduate institution's prestige.

I would appreciate responses from others familiar with admissions at top 20 schools @gyngyn @LizzyM @WedgeDawg

How much does the utter lack of prestige (think: "rank not published") of one's undergraduate institution hurt when applying to top 20 research powerhouses? Are the reasons for attending one's undergraduate institution something one should talk about in the PS or in secondaries? I hate to beat a dead horse, but I would also hate to apply to the schools I've listed above and be looked down on as an applicant who comes from a lesser school and is unworthy of consideration, despite my stats and ECs. I am aware of the AAMC polls of private and public school attitudes on undergraduate prestige metrics as admission factors. It's true that I've never felt challenged in any of my undergraduate classes and, if I hadn't had the motivation to self-educate, my education would be sub-par. However, I read almost every textbook I've ever had for class cover to cover and feel as though I've come out with a very good education. I would appreciate perspectives on whether I should widen my school list, due to the quality (or lack thereof) of my undergrad. Thank you for your time in advance.

One (truly) final question:

I got a response from efle as to the importance of my undergraduate institution's prestige.

I would appreciate responses from others familiar with admissions at top 20 schools @gyngyn @LizzyM @WedgeDawg

How much does the utter lack of prestige (think: "rank not published") of one's undergraduate institution hurt when applying to top 20 research powerhouses? Are the reasons for attending one's undergraduate institution something one should talk about in the PS or in secondaries? I hate to beat a dead horse, but I would also hate to apply to the schools I've listed above and be looked down on as an applicant who comes from a lesser school and is unworthy of consideration, despite my stats and ECs. I am aware of the AAMC polls of private and public school attitudes on undergraduate prestige metrics as admission factors. It's true that I've never felt challenged in any of my undergraduate classes and, if I hadn't had the motivation to self-educate, my education would be sub-par. However, I read almost every textbook I've ever had for class cover to cover and feel as though I've come out with a very good education. I would appreciate perspectives on whether I should widen my school list, due to the quality (or lack thereof) of my undergrad. Thank you for your time in advance.

Schools do like to say that they have a diversity of students from a large number of universities and from so many different states. Sometimes admitting someone from some little school no one has heard of is novel enough to bring a kind of diversity to the class.

Schools do like to say that they have a diversity of students from a large number of universities and from so many different states. Sometimes admitting someone from some little school no one has heard of is novel enough to bring a kind of diversity to the class.
I hope that this holds true for me...

So do you think that I should alter my list to include more mid/low tier schools?

I hope that this holds true for me...

So do you think that I should alter my list to include more mid/low tier schools?

Just based on the title of this thread, I think you should apply anywhere you want. Just be sure you apply only to schools you would attend if it were the only school that offered you admission.

With your stats, its a plus. There are evaluators who attended similar schools who will be especially proud of you.

Just based on the title of this thread, I think you should apply anywhere you want. Just be sure you apply only to schools you would attend if it were the only school that offered you admission.
With your stats, its a plus. There are evaluators who attended similar schools who will be especially proud of you.

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the prompt and informative perspectives.

Here is a stellar example of what I mean when I say "killer ECs" ...you could get into a fine med school with a 3.2 GPA!

I suggest:

Wash U
U Chicago
U Penn
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
JHU
U VA
U MI
U AZ
U VM
U WI
U Cincy
Ohio State
U IA
UCSF
UCLA,
UCSD,
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Both TN schools

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I appreciate any feedback and especially criticism of my future (2019) application. I apologize in advance for any spelling errors or lack of clarity. I'm writing this in a hurry between experiments :) @Goro @gyngyn @efle

Demographics
White male
Not disadvantaged
Parents both scientists
Of Russian descent (Speak Russian and English fluently)

Stats
BS in Health Sciences with minor in biology (graduated 5/2016). Extensive amount of classes in computer science and mathematics (3 credits short of a minor in each).
GPA: 3.95
sGPA: 3.93
MCAT: 524 (130/132/131/131): taken 5/19/2017
Undergrad school: Unimpressive, no-name, regional public (in east TN)

Activities
Freshman year:
1. Volunteered at VA nursing home: helped feed disabled patients, led activities, and kept patients company (240h over 8-9 months)
2. Shadowed an internist at the local hospital for 100 hrs over 6 months.
3. Tutored a large number of students in my science classes, but unofficially. won't mention this on application.
4. Summer after freshman year, I took a 1.5 month class (with 40 hrs of clinicals) to receive CNA certification and began a job as a nurse's aide at the long term care center of a (very) rural hospital. Worked closely with patients 16 hrs a week (weekends) for 10 months. Left due to management change and subsequent (perceived) commodification of patients.

Sophomore year:
1. Worked as a CNA through all of sophomore year.
2. Began tutoring for TRiO, a federally-funded program that target disadvantaged (low-income, minority, first-generation) students. Tutored 2-8 hours a week for 4 semesters (~250 hours).
3. Shadowed a general surgeon, in-office, for 40 hours over 3 weeks.
4. Was accepted to honors program (with full scholarship). Began my thesis research, looking at the effects of irradiation on uterine mucin morphology, from the perspective of understanding the effects of chronic irradiation during spaceflight (~350 hrs over a year, culminating in a thesis defense and a poster at a national conference).
RED FLAG ALERT: Received an IA for possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia on campus at end of my first semester in sophomore year. Was also arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. The charges were dismissed and expunged. This was an incredibly stupid lapse of judgement on my part and I am more than prepared to talk about what I've learned. For the school, I had to do 20 hrs of community service and do an online learning module on marijuana.
6. In the summer after sophomore year, I did little but read, hike and relax.

Junior year:
1. Finished up the experimental part of my honors thesis and began to write the thesis itself.
2. Towards the end of junior year, I began delivering food for Meals on Wheels to low-income, elderly individuals. My last week is this week :(... (2 routes a week, or 3 hours a week for 32 months: ~400 hrs)
3. Shadowed a general practitioner at his walk-in clinic and also at the suboxone clinic where he worked (200 hours over roughly 2 years).
4. My second semester of junior year, I took 23 credit hours of computer science and mathematics classes. 3.93 GPA for this semester.

Senior year:
1. Towards the end of junior year, I became more and more fascinated with neuroscience. I contacted the chair of the biomedical sciences department at QCOM and summer after junior year, began researching FAK-STAT3 signaling in the maintenance of mitochondria and the molecular mechanisms regulating post-stroke neurogenesis in the subventricular zone. I continued to conduct research in this lab for 26 months, 14 of which I was paid as a research assistant (last day 7/7/17). In the end, I have around 3000 hours in this lab, as well as two 3rd author publications and one 6th author publication. I've also become technically proficient in a wide range of molecular biology and cell culture techniques. I received a university grant for $1200 to fund a CRISPR-based project during senior year.
2. Participated in a 2 semester long Gross Anatomy internship. During this time, I got to dissect a cadaver that I shared with 3 other interns, following the pace of a PT gross anatomy class. Other responsibilities included maintaining the quality of cadavers and helping medical and PT students with anatomy.
3. Attended 2 conferences: one, the national conference where I presented my thesis research, and two, "posters at the capitol", where I presented stroke-induced neurogenesis research to legislators.
4. Tutored veterans in physics for 4 hrs/week for 2 both semesters senior year (roughly 70 hrs)
5. Finished and defended my honors thesis.
6. Graduated college :clap:

Gap year 1:
1. Continued working as a full time research assistant at QCOM.
2. Continued volunteering for meals on wheels
3. Continued shadowing at walk in clinic and suboxone clinic.
4. Applied and was accepted to Peace Corps. I leave for Tanzania to teach high school science on 7/8/17. During this time, I hope to become fluent in Swahili. When making recommendations about schools, please assume successfully completed service. I hope to apply to med school from Tanzania, as I come back in September 2019 (right in time for interviews). If I am unable to do this, I am willing to retake the MCAT :confused:.

Hobbies
Hiking
Guitar
Mushroom hunting (it's a Russian thing I think)
Writing short stories
Scientific Lit (nerdy, I know)

Prospective Schools
Harvard
Stanford

Columbia
Sinai
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Einstein
Case Western
Boston SOM
Rochester
Wake Forest
UPenn
Duke
UChicago
UT Memphis (state school)
ETSU (state school)
UVA
Hopkins
Tulane
UCSF
NYU
UMich
Miami-Miller
NYU

I know this list seems quite ambitious, but I've also been told that one shouldn't apply to schools where their MCAT is >90% of accepted students, and that narrows my options... Thank you!! :cat:

Here is a stellar example of what I mean when I say "killer ECs" ...you could get into a fine med school with a 3.2 GPA!

I suggest:

Wash U
U Chicago
U Penn
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
JHU
U VA
U MI
U AZ
U VM
U WI
U Cincy
Ohio State
U IA
UCSF
UCLA,
UCSD,
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Both TN schools
Thank you Goro. You are too kind. I am very grateful for all the help I've received on SDN. Makes me wish I'd started posting sooner :)

Would he be competitive for top 20s if he had a 3.5? As it sits, after he's done with Peace Corps, he'll be a platinum applicant.

1. Pick a DREAM school, apply
2. Wait for secondary and verification
3. Complete secondary
4. Send it back, wait for interview
5. Interview
6. Go to that school

You are GOLDEN

Thank you all for your kind words. I just got to my mountainous site in Tanzania and I absolutely love it here. I'll be teaching organic chemistry to form 5 and 6 students, which is like junior college. Though the previous volunteer at my site kinda trashed the house, and I'll have to clean up a bit, I have good mobile service where I am and for that I am grateful :)

Reactions: 2 users