Schedule advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad1989

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is better: back to work part time or more academic rigor?
option 1 for next semester: biochem and ochem lab while working part-time in healthcare
or
option 2: biochem, ochem lab, and molecular biology while not working (only volunteering and finishing research project)

I need to overcome a poor 1st semester in postbac since I had 1 retake. I have a 3.7 this semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Which is better: back to work part time or more academic rigor?
option 1 for next semester: biochem and ochem lab while working part-time in healthcare
or
option 2: biochem, ochem lab, and molecular biology while not working (only volunteering and finishing research project)

I need to overcome a poor 1st semester in postbac since I had 1 retake. I have a 3.7 this semester.

I've asked a few admissions reps about this "school vs. paid healthcare employment" question. In my case the choice is between scribing or doing an SMP during my application year. Ultimately they all told me to "do whatever you want to do". For me I don't need the GPA boost of an SMP and I'm really excited about working in clinics and hospitals, so I'll definitely be pursuing the scribe route.

In your case, it seems the one benefit of doing three classes (and not working) is that you can finish your research project. Honestly though I'm not sure molecular biology is a big deal. Getting As is your #1 priority. You need to do whatever it takes to excel in your classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I've asked a few admissions reps about this "school vs. paid healthcare employment" question. In my case the choice is between scribing or doing an SMP during my application year. Ultimately they all told me to "do whatever you want to do". For me I don't need the GPA boost of an SMP and I'm really excited about working in clinics and hospitals, so I'll definitely be pursuing the scribe route.

In your case, it seems the one benefit of doing three classes (and not working) is that you can finish your research project. Honestly though I'm not sure molecular biology is a big deal. Getting As is your #1 priority. You need to do whatever it takes to excel in your classes.

Thanks for sharing! Molecular is a pre-req for cell bio at the school I'm attending. As per @Goro 's advice, I'm trying to provide evidence that I can excel in upper divisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't work unless you need money. You can pick up work later down the road when you ace a few more pre-reqs. Work if you need rent money :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Better grades help more than work, because without the grades, you'll never get an opportunity to tell them about what you did at work. The ideal scenario of course is to take full time classes and work full time because you'll be applying against people who are doing just that.

Better grades help more than work, because without the grades, you'll never get an opportunity to tell them about what you did at work. The ideal scenario of course is to take full time classes and work full time because you'll be applying against people who are doing just that.

Good point, thanks! Although, I'm not sure how those full time school + workers process anything? I guess that's the game of med school though. Goes against all the research in memory and learning!

Good point, thanks! Although, I'm not sure how those full time school + workers process anything? I guess that's the game of med school though. Goes against all the research in memory and learning!

I've been doing it now for four semesters with straight A's; you learn to sleep less and study more efficiently. In my case, I pay someone to read my notes / books to audio and I listen to them while I'm driving, working out, walking the dog, etc. When I'm volunteering and my hospice patients fall asleep I whip out my iphone and start cranking through anki decks. When I drive my kids to their doctors appointments I make them quiz me from old tests I've downloaded online. Every opportunity you find pulling you away from school you somehow find a way to make it productive for studying and if you can't you find a way to replace that activity with one that is conducive to studying :D