USMLE/COMLEX Save 20% off Pretest Series: 500 USMLE Style Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrawHillMed

MH Medical Test Prep
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
20% off PRETEST BOOK SERIES

500 USMLE Style Questions and Answers
  • 500 USMLE-style questions and answers
  • Detailed explanations for right and wrong answers
  • Targets what you really need to know for exam success
  • Student tested and reviewed
Available titles include: USMLE Step 1, Biochemistry, Histology and Medical Cell Biology, Microbiology and Immunology, Neuroscience, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, USMLE Step 2CK, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Psychiatry, Family Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Internal Medicine, Surgery

For a full list of titles and to save 20% off click here.
Offer good until February 5, 2010. Discount only applies to books ordered directly from McGraw-Hill website

:luck: McGraw-Hill Companies will be giving away one copy of this title to one lucky member! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

0071599797.jpeg
0071471839.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

I've found pre-test to be hit and miss.

Pediatrics Pre-test was a life-saver for the peds shelf. There was a lot of stuff in there that I didn't see elsewhere. :thumbup:

I wasn't a fan of Surgery and OB/gyn pretest for the shelf exams, although I didn't do the entire book's worth of questions.

How do others feel about those two?

I'm still checking out resources for Medicine, Family and Psych, how do people feel about the pretest series for those rotations and the shelf?

I really thought pretest was useful for Psych and Peds. :thumbup:

I would be greatly interested in how it might be useful with a medicine rotation coming up. How does Pretest for level 2 compare to USMLEWorld?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the difference between the Pre Test books and Case Files? I've heard good things about both of them.

Thank you for the feedback. What exactly did you not like about the Surgery and OB/GYN Pretest books? I can use your feedback in making the next editions better so I would like to hear any constructive criticisms.

What is the difference between the Pre Test books and Case Files? I've heard good things about both of them.
Case Files is a book that mainly reviews content (although there are a few questions at the end of each case as well). Each book has ~50 or so cases where you are given a vignette, then asked a few questions about it, such as what you think the diagnosis is, or what tests they need, etc. That is followed by a few pages of discussion about that topic, and finally ~4 questions at the end to help review. The questions are in a USMLE-like format, but there aren't enough of them to prepare you for shelfs or Step 2. What's nice about Case Files is that you can read it in little digestible chunks, as opposed to reading a dense textbook. The books I've used (I got all of them except IM and surgery) have pretty good coverage of all the bread-and-butter topics you're likely to see on that rotation (and on your test).

PreTest is a question book. If you have to take shelfs, you will probably want to get some kind of question source to go along with your content review, because most people need to do practice questions to score well. A lot of people like to get PreTest to go along with Case Files or whatever other book they're using (FA, Step Up, NMS, etc.) as a way to prepare for shelfs. The other thing some people do is buy a year-long subscription to an online question bank, and use that to study for shelfs.

I really like the Pretest books-their size makes them easy to bring along for studying on the wards. I am currently looking at Pretest Pediatrics, and was wondering how the most recent version differs from previous versions. Also, are there any plans for making an online version of the questions for those who purchase the books?

Status
Not open for further replies.