Program-Specific Info / Q's San José State University 2016-17 Admission Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Mind sharing what day you submitted your app??

I submitted my application on 10/14. It's been a long wait. This is my first time applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratssss
Would you mind sharing stats those who were accepted

University: University of California, Santa Cruz
Major: Psychology and Art
Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-4.0 (depends on school)
Last 45 GPA: 3.8
V 162 Q 152 A 4.0

In the past I have worked as a respite provider for disabled individuals. Right now I work as administrator at UCSC.

Extracurriculars:
- Internship with clinical-child psychologist
- Internship at elementary school
- Volunteer at art studio
- Committee member for workplace health initiative

Volunteer/Observation: 65 hours in pediatric clinic, 50 hours in a SNF

Hi all,
I'm still waiting to hear back from SJSU. But I wanted to ask those that have decided to go to SJSU what is the main reason why they chose SJSU?

I'm curious and just want to learn more about the program since I was never able to attend an info session or tour of the campus. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I'm still waiting to hear back from SJSU. But I wanted to ask those that have decided to go to SJSU what is the main reason why they chose SJSU?

I'm curious and just want to learn more about the program since I was never able to attend an info session or tour of the campus. Thanks!
For me it was proximity to my home. My husband has a lucrative career here and my kids are in school, so relocating or making a long commute isn't really an option. The fact that the program is quite affordable is a major bonus.

Question for current SJSU MOT students: are you able to register for classes successfully and is the availability for graduate level courses ok? I ask this question because I did my undergrad at an overcrowded, impacted, publicly funded CA state school where registration was very stressful; there was never enough class availability to go around.
Is this a "thing" at the graduate level at SJSU? Thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 users
Question for current SJSU MOT students: are you able to register for classes successfully and is the availability for graduate level courses ok? I ask this question because I did my undergrad at an overcrowded, impacted, publicly funded CA state school where registration was very stressful; there was never enough class availability to go around.
Is this a "thing" at the graduate level at SJSU? Thanks so much!
Nope it's not a thing! You should get your schedule at the luncheon and your seat in each class is guaranteed.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

Of the 3 schools I was accepted to, SJSU is the farthest from my home. All 3 schools had pluses and minuses, but there were 2 deciding factors that made me choose SJSU. One is the low cost- it's a quarter of the tuition of the next most expensive school. Whatever school I graduate from, I will earn the same income. Also, I'm 40, this is a career change, and taking on a lot of student loans is daunting, and would not be paid off by retirement. The other factor is the schedule, with summers off and a long winter break. The trade off is that the semesters will be intense, but the long breaks will allow me to reconnect with my family.

Reactions: 1 user
For those still waiting, the FB group membership is at 57 (one of those is the grad assistant). 25ish more spots and my fingers are crossed for everyone waiting for that acceptance!

Reactions: 3 users
For those still waiting, the FB group membership is at 57 (one of those is the grad assistant). 25ish more spots and my fingers are crossed for everyone waiting for that acceptance!
Thank you for the update! It seems like they're still working on applications from October. I applied late November so I have a feeling I won't get in this cycle... Does everyone who get accepted into the program join the FB group?

Thank you for the update! It seems like they're still working on applications from October. I applied late November so I have a feeling I won't get in this cycle... Does everyone who get accepted into the program join the FB group?

I know they are all emailed a link to join. Whether they accept or not, I can only surmise that most, if not all, probably do. I don't know what the latest application date they've accepted, but on here it looks like 10/24.

Just found this forum. Wow, so many people have already been accepted! I submitted OTCAS first week of October, verified by 10/13 and submitted the GAPE around the same time, so maybe safe to say I am not getting in this round. But, holding on to a stand of hope since I haven't gotten a rejection letter yet!

Good luck everyone in the application process and beyond!

Just found this forum. Wow, so many people have already been accepted! I submitted OTCAS first week of October, verified by 10/13 and submitted the GAPE around the same time, so maybe safe to say I am not getting in this round. But, holding on to a stand of hope since I haven't gotten a rejection letter yet!

Good luck everyone in the application process and beyond!
When did you submit your application packet to the OT dept? They review applications in the order they are received. It looks like there are about 16 seats still open, then the waitlist starts. Don't give up hope yet!

When did you submit your application packet to the OT dept? They review applications in the order they are received. It looks like there are about 16 seats still open, then the waitlist starts. Don't give up hope yet!
Even better, 25ish seats! 56 in the group, program is taking 80!

Members don't see this ad :)
All around that same time mid October!

Hello! Has the Facebook group grown any since last week? just curious :)

well, its already march..... Still haven't received a single response..

this wait is agonizing!

(got everything completed for the application by mid october)

well, its already march..... Still haven't received a single response..

this wait is agonizing!

(got everything completed for the application by mid october)
I'm sorry. :( Did you apply to many programs? I'm sure the wait has been excruciating! Hope you get good news soon!

I just received a rejection letter in the mail yesterday. It's a bummer, but I'm glad I have another school to fall back on!

For those of you still waiting, best of luck! I submitted my application in early November, so maybe they are finally moving on to the later applications.

I just received a rejection letter in the mail yesterday. It's a bummer, but I'm glad I have another school to fall back on!

For those of you still waiting, best of luck! I submitted my application in early November, so maybe they are finally moving on to the later applications.

bummer but congrats on your other acceptance! I better start checking my mail daily then! thanks for the heads up!

you mind telling us which school(s) you got into?

you mind telling us which school(s) you got into?
I got accepted to University of Puget Sound and Colorado State. I'm wait listed at Ohio State, but don't expect to get in.

Hi everyone!

I've been given conditional acceptance and completed my Next Steps :) I can't wait to start this Fall and meet everyone!

I still have not heard anything from SJSU and submitted early October. I've gotten into other schools, but just out of curiousity, is this radio silence a good or bad sign?

I still have not heard anything from SJSU and submitted early October. I've gotten into other schools, but just out of curiousity, is this radio silence a good or bad sign?

I'm so sorry that you're in a holding pattern. Frustrating. While I can't say if it's good or bad that you haven't gotten news, I just wanted to send a little encouragement because it's not over til it's over! Good luck!

I am in the same boat except I haven't received any other acceptances yet, at least you have some options!!! :)

Congratulations for everyone who made it in! I'm a second year in the program and I'm about to finish in a couple of months and then go on to my fieldwork sites. It's crazy revisiting these forums again a few years later and seeing what's going on. And tomorrow is the 100th anniversary of OT, which is cool. It's a good program especially for the price and I think you'll enjoy yourselves!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!

Congrats to all who have been accepted! I applied mid-November and am still waiting to hear back, at this point I just want to know...I'm a planner so I want to start prepping for the next step. Any update on the Facebook group numbers?

Hi everyone!

Congrats to all who have been accepted! I applied mid-November and am still waiting to hear back, at this point I just want to know...I'm a planner so I want to start prepping for the next step. Any update on the Facebook group numbers?
Looks like there are 69 members right now.

Hi everyone!

Yes, 69 members in FB group and I can also update that an applicant I know (who applied in early January) was unfortunately already sent a rejection letter (and their requirements were all met). So I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. Good luck!

I kind of need to know whether or not I will be accepted by April 1st. Do you guys think I will be receiving something in the mail by then?
This wait is definitely agonizing!

BA Economics/Accounting UCSB
3.44 GPA
4.0 prereqs
157v/159q/4.0w
volunteer: 120 hours outpatient rehab for adults (under hand therapist & reg ot)/100 hours with OT outpatient rehab peds/40 hours with OT inpatient interdisciplinary feeding rehab-peds/120 hours under OT in inpatient ortho setting/40 hours with OT outpatient peds rehab in different hospital/ 40 hours childlife volunteer opening hospital playrooms for patients/300 hours shadowing long-term pediatric care OT.
work: instructional assistant- special education and online ESL teacher
5 letters of rec: 1 CHT/MOT, 2 other OT's, manager, and 1 physio/anatomy professor

submitted my application around mid-december but their grad department lost one of my transcripts. I kept trying to contact them but they were all on vacation until mid january. I tried to email the OT department to see when my application was verified but they never got back to me. I just received my rejection through snail mail :(

I kind of need to know whether or not I will be accepted by April 1st. Do you guys think I will be receiving something in the mail by then?
This wait is definitely agonizing!
I'd reach out to the department and just ask. You're not the first with circumstances revolving around your acceptance, I'd imagine. Best of luck!

BA Economics/Accounting UCSB
3.44 GPA
4.0 prereqs
157v/159q/4.0w
volunteer: 120 hours outpatient rehab for adults (under hand therapist & reg ot)/100 hours with OT outpatient rehab peds/40 hours with OT inpatient interdisciplinary feeding rehab-peds/120 hours under OT in inpatient ortho setting/40 hours with OT outpatient peds rehab in different hospital/ 40 hours childlife volunteer opening hospital playrooms for patients/300 hours shadowing long-term pediatric care OT.
work: instructional assistant- special education and online ESL teacher
5 letters of rec: 1 CHT/MOT, 2 other OT's, manager, and 1 physio/anatomy professor

submitted my application around mid-december but their grad department lost one of my transcripts. I kept trying to contact them but they were all on vacation until mid january. I tried to email the OT department to see when my application was verified but they never got back to me. I just received my rejection through snail mail :(
Ouch! What a beautiful set of stats! Im hoping your rejection is based on the application time (due to rolling admissions) and not the mid placement of your transcript. Either way, bummer deal and I'm sorry to hear. :(

I still haven't heard anything, I have reached out via phone and email with no response. But I got accepted at 2 other schools so it's all good, just surprised that I haven't heard anything either way yet...

SAME! Nothing! I have emailed and called with no response

I live in SF. I think I'm just gonna go directly to SJSU tomorrow and ask them directly whether or not I got accepted.

I live in SF. I think I'm just gonna go directly to SJSU tomorrow and ask them directly whether or not I got accepted.
It is getting late in the application season. This is the trade off for going to a desirable and lower cost state school. Private schools can afford a full time admissions person, whereas at SJ I think its up to the busy OT faculty to handle the whole admissions process. I would think that if you go in respectfully, to remind them that you are still interested in the program, they should be able to give you an update. Good luck!

can somebody check how many people are in the Facebook group right now?

I am also waiting for a response :inpain: My anxiety every time I check my inbox or my mail is the worst but I am trying to stay positive. I was looking at the forums from last year and people were still receiving acceptances all the way through the end of April. From what it looks like, if you applied toward the early part of the cycle and have not received a rejection you are probably being waitlisted (unless no one posted their rejections on the forum I guess) if they have already filled the spots. It seems those notifications go out via snail mail...although last year no one specified how many people are wait listed (the highest # I saw was 5). But let's be positive! You haven't been rejected... :)

Looks like there are 71 people in the Facebook group.

I am also waiting for a response :inpain: My anxiety every time I check my inbox or my mail is the worst but I am trying to stay positive. I was looking at the forums from last year and people were still receiving acceptances all the way through the end of April. From what it looks like, if you applied toward the early part of the cycle and have not received a rejection you are probably being waitlisted (unless no one posted their rejections on the forum I guess) if they have already filled the spots. It seems those notifications go out via snail mail...although last year no one specified how many people are wait listed (the highest # I saw was 5). But let's be positive! You haven't been rejected... :)
I feel you, 100%. The anxiety of not knowing is what kills me! I just hope they get back to us ASAP. I keep checking my mail and email constantly waiting for something to pop up. There seems to be a group of us still waiting...they should just cut to the chase and let us all in ☺️

I got waitlisted!
Congrats! Did you go and ask them, or did they straight up contact you?
Also, like you, I was super frustrated with the school in the week before I was accepted, and had actually completely given up on that school as an option. How funny is life sometimes!