Program-Specific Info / Q's San José State University 2016-17 Admission Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In reply to kyleklin:
I also took it 3 times. I passed the last time. Verbal was my challenge as well. I also got a 152 on verbal the second time and it was so frustrating. Keep trying, you can do it!

Thank you. Your response is very inspirational!

I honestly don't mind keep trying it. But I want to make sure when I attempt the 4th time I am absolutely confident that I am able to score 155+ so I won't risk wasting another hard-earned 200 bucks on this taxing exam. Also, it's January now. Is it too late to retake for this year's cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you. Your response is very inspirational!

I honestly don't mind keep trying it. But I want to make sure when I attempt the 4th time I am absolutely confident that I am able to score 155+ so I won't risk wasting another hard-earned 200 bucks on this taxing exam. Also, it's January now. Is it too late to retake for this year's cycle?

I am not sure -- maybe you could update your current application? I'd ask the admissions assistant. I believe the cut-off date for applications is Feb 1. Best of luck to you on your OT journey! :)

I am so happy I received my acceptance email yesterday! The wait was truly agonizing. Can someone direct me to the Facebook group for accepted 2017 students? I am just thrilled to be moving one step closer to becoming an OT!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am so happy I received my acceptance email yesterday! The wait was truly agonizing. Can someone direct me to the Facebook group for accepted 2017 students? I am just thrilled to be moving one step closer to becoming an OT!

Congrats Alastrina! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application? The wait is truly painful! I submitted everything on Oct 25th so its been about 11 weeks.

Congrats Alastrina! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application? The wait is truly painful! I submitted everything on Oct 25th so its been about 11 weeks.
I submitted everything before October 1st, so it was marked 10/1/16. Good luck to you!

I have lurked this forum since 2014, and this year, I applied to OT programs for the second time.... and I got in! :)

I was accepted to SJSU via email on Tuesday January 10th. I'm very excited but don't want to confirm anything until I hear from all the schools I applied to! Does anyone know the deadline for accepting? I am still waiting to get my letter in the mail.

Yay! Congrats! You will get an email from the grad assistant with a link the group (she's the admin for the private group). You're not missing any information by not being in it, there is not much activity in the FB group yet. It is kind of fun to see pictures of our cohort though. I'm so excited! I've been accepted since November and every once in a while I still get butterflies when I remember that I actually got in! Now I've got my fingers crossed for a friend who applied too. Congrats again, Alastrina! Now you can just relax for a few months!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm excited to report that I got my acceptance email last night! I can't wait to meet everyone! I submitted my application on October 1st and had everything verified by October 11th. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
I have lurked this forum since 2014, and this year, I applied to OT programs for the second time.... and I got in! :)

I was accepted to SJSU via email on Tuesday January 10th. I'm very excited but don't want to confirm anything until I hear from all the schools I applied to! Does anyone know the deadline for accepting? I am still waiting to get my letter in the mail.
Congrats on getting accepted:)! I had a similar problem to yours, I got accepted to SJ before any other school, so I was nervous about whether I could postpone my confirmation for attendance. However, Gigi told me that I had roughly 2 weeks to get back to her, although I made the decision practically the next day (I really think that SJSU is the best financial option and has such a unique curriculum, so I would have probably attended regardless of what other school I got into). You can always email her to ask how long you have before making a decision, I know it's a huge step to take!

Hi everyone,
I have also applied to SJSU. Has anybody tried to contact Amanda (the grad assistant) recently? I emailed her earlier in the month about the status of my transcripts but she hasn't responded. I know that she might have been on winter break, but I thought I would just check with the forum. Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I have also applied to SJSU. Has anybody tried to contact Amanda (the grad assistant) recently? I emailed her earlier in the month about the status of my transcripts but she hasn't responded. I know that she might have been on winter break, but I thought I would just check with the forum. Thanks!
I emailed Amanda a really quick question on January 17th and heard back the next day.

Hi everyone,

Not sure why she is not very responsive. When I tried to apply and asked about my scores, it took me 3 emails to receive a reply from her. Maybe you should also send an email to Gigi or even try to call their numbers sometimes.

I emailed Amanda a really quick question on January 17th and heard back the next day.
Good for you.

Hello! I applied to SJSU late November and I haven't heard anything yet. This is my first time applying and I didn't know at the time that there was such a great difference in applying in October versus applying in November. Has anyone heard of applicants getting accepted even if they've applied so late in the game? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I applied to SJSU late November and I haven't heard anything yet. This is my first time applying and I didn't know at the time that there was such a great difference in applying in October versus applying in November. Has anyone heard of applicants getting accepted even if they've applied so late in the game? Thanks!

Even though admissions are on a rolling basis, I have heard of people who applied as late as January still being accepted to the program. So, there is still hope! :)

Even though admissions are on a rolling basis, I have heard of people who applied as late as January still being accepted to the program. So, there is still hope! :)
It's true I've heard about later acceptances, but last year I know they were way behind on their acceptances due to the program being re-accredited. People were being accepted in late April. So the timing for this year is different. Probably earlier. So far I'm only hearing acceptances from people who applied on October 1. I applied late October, so holding out hope for somewhere high on the waitlist!

I hand-delivered my application around the end of September. I received my conditional acceptance via email last Thursday night & accepted the next day. I am very excited to be part of the Fall 2017 cohort! Best of luck to all who are still waiting!

For those of you that were accepted - were all the items on your "to do" list complete? For instance, I have not heard anything yet, but I still have two items on my to-do list, one regarding financial aid, and one regarding a degree conferral. I cannot turn in a transcript with a degree as I have not graduated yet, but am wondering if they look for completion before full review?

For those of you that were accepted - were all the items on your "to do" list complete? For instance, I have not heard anything yet, but I still have two items on my to-do list, one regarding financial aid, and one regarding a degree conferral. I cannot turn in a transcript with a degree as I have not graduated yet, but am wondering if they look for completion before full review?
My "to do" list still has one item left on it. I took a fall class and need to wait to have my grades finalized before I can send in my transcripts, so my only "to do" item is submitting my last official transcripts.

How many people are in the "accepted" Facebook group? I'm still holding out hope that I'll receive an acceptance.

How many people are in the "accepted" Facebook group? I'm still holding out hope that I'll receive an acceptance.
As of right now, there are 38 people in the Facebook group. Amanda said there will be about 80 acceptances this cycle, so there's still more than half of the seats available! :)

Reactions: 2 users
As of right now, there are 38 people in the Facebook group. Amanda said there will be about 80 acceptances this cycle, so there's still more than half of the seats available! :)
Thanks!

I turned in my application 12/10.. do you guys think they're looking at all applications now since the deadline passed and there hasnt been many acceptances that we know of in the past month or am i just kidding myself :bigtears:

I have officially accepted a seat in the 2017 cohort! I've been living in San Jose for the past few years after graduating college, and if anyone needs advice on housing, the area, or amazing restaurants (there are so many!), feel free to send me a PM or shoot me an email :) [email protected]

I have officially accepted a seat in the 2017 cohort! I've been living in San Jose for the past few years after graduating college, and if anyone needs advice on housing, the area, or amazing restaurants (there are so many!), feel free to send me a PM or shoot me an email :) [email protected]

Congratulations! That's super exciting! Did they mention how many seats were still up for grabs or how many people have accepted spots in the program? A lot of us still have not heard anything back from them

Congratulations! That's super exciting! Did they mention how many seats were still up for grabs or how many people have accepted spots in the program? A lot of us still have not heard anything back from them
Thank you, I was totally shocked to be accepted! They did not share that information with me, I only received general information pertinent to my own acceptance. I got an email on 1/10 and a letter on 1/30.

I just received the rejection letter today. I might re-apply or move on or apply for other schools. I just don't know yet. It really depends on life anyway.

Congrats to those who were accepted, especially those who applied the 2nd time (you ladies have my respect). Good luck!

I just received the rejection letter today. I might re-apply or move on or apply for other schools. I just don't know yet. It really depends on life anyway.

Congrats to those who were accepted, especially those who applied the 2nd time (you ladies have my respect). Good luck!
Sorry to hear that! How did you get the letter, was it mailed or emailed?

Hello, as of today there are 49 people in the FB group and they are accepting around 80 into the program.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not accepted. I wish you the very best of luck with other programs/next admission cycle. Don't stop trying, you will get there.

Hello, as of today there are 49 people in the FB group and they are accepting around 80 into the program.

Thank you!! It's gotten so much closer to 80 in just 15 days and it's making me so nervous:nailbiting: Do you happen to have any info on what month they're reviewing right now?

when did you submit your application?

Thank you!! It's gotten so much closer to 80 in just 15 days and it's making me so nervous:nailbiting: Do you happen to have any info on what month they're reviewing right now?
At least one of them is Amanda, so 48 spots filled? Haha would anyone else attending mind sharing stats and other important info ?

I don't, I wish I did! One of my friends submitted in January and she hasn't heard back one way or another. If I hear anything, I'll certainly pass it along here. I imagine the stress at this point is immense.

I don't, I wish I did! One of my friends submitted in January and she hasn't heard back one way or another. If I hear anything, I'll certainly pass it along here. I imagine the stress at this point is immense.
It sure is! I'm checking my email every chance I get. For reference, I applied late November and still haven't heard anything. I'm assuming they're still reviewing applications submitted in October or possibly early November. Thanks for passing on the information! I look forward to it.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I hope that you don't give up. This was my second year applying to SJSU (among other schools) and I learned a lot about myself and the field after my first try. Take a bit of time to appreciate the work that you did in applying, even if it didn't result in acceptance, and reflect on where you want to go from here.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I hope that you don't give up. This was my second year applying to SJSU (among other schools) and I learned a lot about myself and the field after my first try. Take a bit of time to appreciate the work that you did in applying, even if it didn't result in acceptance, and reflect on where you want to go from here.
This is my second year applying, and I totally agree. After last year I spent some time thinking about how to be a stronger applicant for this year. After doing more shadowing plus finishing the prereqs, not only am I a stronger candidate, I also feel way more prepared for grad school. Don't give up, and reward yourself for all the hard work you have done to get this far!

It sure is! I'm checking my email every chance I get. For reference, I applied late November and still haven't heard anything. I'm assuming they're still reviewing applications submitted in October or possibly early November. Thanks for passing on the information! I look forward to it.

I applied late October and haven't heard anything! This is the only school I applied to and I knew it was going to be tough to get in to but I didn't realize how long it took them to pick the cohort!! To those who got in, did you guys go to the information session they offer? I live kinda far but They have one this Wednesday and I wonder if it's worth the popping in and introducing myself.

I applied late October and haven't heard anything! This is the only school I applied to and I knew it was going to be tough to get in to but I didn't realize how long it took them to pick the cohort!! To those who got in, did you guys go to the information session they offer? I live kinda far but They have one this Wednesday and I wonder if it's worth the popping in and introducing myself.

Yes, I did attend the group advising session and it was packed - standing room only! They went over the program specifics and the application process. Many people stayed after to (I assume) make a good impression, but I did not. There were so many people there and the session was led by the Grad Advisor and her Assistant... the Admission Board wasn't there taking questions or anything. LOL! To the best of my memory, I don't even recall a sign-in sheet. Plus I just figured that there was no possible way they'd ever remember me specifically by name when they read 500 applications. Unless there is some info you need from the session (and considering you live far away and also the weather is so unpredictable lately), I'd skip it. It really is geared toward potential applicants, and to provide a forum for Q&A. I know it's easier said than done, but be patient... the wait is almost over! I wish you all the luck and hope you get good news soon!!!!

Yes, I did attend the group advising session and it was packed - standing room only! They went over the program specifics and the application process. Many people stayed after to (I assume) make a good impression, but I did not. There were so many people there and the session was led by the Grad Advisor and her Assistant... the Admission Board wasn't there taking questions or anything. LOL! To the best of my memory, I don't even recall a sign-in sheet. Plus I just figured that there was no possible way they'd ever remember me specifically by name when they read 500 applications. Unless there is some info you need from the session (and considering you live far away and also the weather is so unpredictable lately), I'd skip it. It really is geared toward potential applicants, and to provide a forum for Q&A. I know it's easier said than done, but be patient... the wait is almost over! I wish you all the luck and hope you get good news soon!!!!
I went to the session and it was very helpful! They answer any questions you have thoroughly. I ended up moving to San Jose for work, so fingers crossed that this works out too! Did you get an email saying your application was ready for review? Because I had to keep emailing them to make sure I had it all in. I had a few issues with it, so even though I applied in October my application wasn't ready for review until December. Wishing everyone luck!!!!!!!

Last edited:
To be honest, I never attended an information session, and I used to live walking distance from SJSU! I just combed their website to make my application process as smooth as possible.

Yesterday, I resigned myself to the idea that I would not be accepted to SJSU. I was tired of the suspense of not knowing. And this afternoon I received an email offering admission to the program! Hooray! I submitted my application on October 24. From what I was reading on the forums, they were still only admitting applications that were submitted in early October, so I thought I had sent it in too late. Moral of the story: don't give up hope!

Reactions: 3 users
Yesterday, I resigned myself to the idea that I would not be accepted to SJSU. I was tired of the suspense of not knowing. And this afternoon I received an email offering admission to the program! Hooray! I submitted my application on October 24. From what I was reading on the forums, they were still only admitting applications that were submitted in early October, so I thought I had sent it in too late. Moral of the story: don't give up hope!

congrats! keeping my fingers crossed I get some good news soon too!

Congratulations! :)

Just got my acceptance to SJSU! As many of you have, I have been working towards this for years. I can't believe this day has actually come.

Just got my acceptance to SJSU! As many of you have, I have been working towards this for years. I can't believe this day has actually come.
Congratssss
Would you mind sharing stats those who were accepted

Congrats! Mind sharing what day you submitted your app??