Program-Specific Info / Q's San José State University 2016-17 Admission Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to those accepted, that's really amazing! Sounds like you all had tons of volunteer hours--I'm worried that's the weakest part of my application since I've only done about 70 OT shadowing hours :( Trying to stay positive though! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!
What I was told by Gigi Smith during the group advising session back in April: a requirement met is a requirement met. You do not get a higher score on the rubric for completing more hours. They look at each candidate holistically once they can establish all criteria are met. Best of luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
mmmm, still waiting for an acceptance letter...
fingers crossed!

Out of curiosity, anyone know if we can sign up for the neuroanatomy course at SJSU in spring? Is it offered?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, anyone know if we can sign up for the neuroanatomy course at SJSU in spring? Is it offered?

You might want to check out the online version through UCLA. It is supposed to be cheaper and it's offered in spring.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anybody applied before? Do they know if they send rolling rejections or do they wait until all the spots are filled and then send rejections?

Has anybody applied before? Do they know if they send rolling rejections or do they wait until all the spots are filled and then send rejections?
Unfortunately, I've applied before and I'm pretty sure they wait until all spots are filled to send rejections :(

The way I understand rolling admissions: The apps are viewed in the order received. Strong applications are accepted, and incomplete/less strong applicants are filed back into the queue behind the other applications that they've received (but in front of the apps that have not yet been submitted). They will likely not notify rejections until the seats are full and they have their waitlist in place (this may not be true in cases where the applicant does not meet the minimum requirements - they might reject those apps immediately). It's not horrible if you've submitted early and didn't hear back the first round, it just means your application will most likely be revisited. I could be wrong, but this is what I've gathered of the process.

The way I understand rolling admissions: The apps are viewed in the order received. Strong applications are accepted, and incomplete/less strong applicants are filed back into the queue behind the other applications that they've received (but in front of the apps that have not yet been submitted). They will likely not notify rejections until the seats are full and they have their waitlist in place (this may not be true in cases where the applicant does not meet the minimum requirements - they might reject those apps immediately). It's not horrible if you've submitted early and didn't hear back the first round, it just means your application will most likely be revisited. I could be wrong, but this is what I've gathered of the process.

Thank you for your insight HME4OT! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your insight HME4OT! :)
It's my pleasure and I hope it helps ease some anxiety. It's way too early for anyone to expect a rejection yet. The beauty of the rolling admission is that if they pass your app in round one, there are still more chances! Lots and lots of early applicants make it in on subsequent rounds!! Keep the hope!

my application was timestamped by mid-october. Do you guys think it would be too early for me to expect anything?

I was received my conditional acceptance yesterday! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
my application was timestamped by mid-october. Do you guys think it would be too early for me to expect anything?
I wish I knew for sure, but it looks like most (all?) of the few folks here who got emails submitted a bit earlier than you. There's a chance the committee hasn't even gotten to yours yet! Keep us informed!

Last edited:
I completely agree! I was accepted a week or so ago, but had everything in (all 3 parts) by 10/1, incl test scores and transcripts. I applied via OTCAS in July and was OTCAS verified Aug 9.
My understanding is rolling admissions means there are waves of acceptances, sometimes through March. I had read on this forum that SJSU "reserves" some spots for exceptionally strong candidates that apply later in the cycle--keep in mind their deadline isn't until Feb, I believe?
So I wouldn't stress (impossible, I know) but the acceptances you see here now--I think we're the "early birds." Good luck!

I submitted GAPE on 10/10 and my OTCAS on 8/26, still have not heard back! I am trying not to get too anxious, but I check "my.sjsu.edu" for my application status to update several times a day! Can you all confirm that they will use email to relay their admissions decision? If we are not accepted do they just not contact you?

I submitted GAPE on 10/10 and my OTCAS on 8/26, still have not heard back! I am trying not to get too anxious, but I check "my.sjsu.edu" for my application status to update several times a day! Can you all confirm that they will use email to relay their admissions decision? If we are not accepted do they just not contact you?
Yes, it came via an email from Dr Gigi Smith. Mine came 11/11 and my MySJSU status is still "Referred to Grad Dept" and I've not yet received a letter in the mail. Keep an eye on your email!! Good luck!

Yes, it came via an email from Dr Gigi Smith. Mine came 11/11 and my MySJSU status is still "Referred to Grad Dept" and I've not yet received a letter in the mail. Keep an eye on your email!! Good luck!
Exactly the same for me, word for word, even the date of acceptance.
The waiting game is awful, there's just no denying it. Keep in mind it's still very early in the cycle. For example, I don't know for sure that I'm attending. I have a couple of schools I haven't even applied to yet and would still like to (ie, Colorado State), and won't know my status on those schools until March. I'm sure there are others in that position as well. Hang in there!

Last edited:
I wanted to let those still waiting know that I revisited my notes from the group advising session and thought I'd share:

-400+ applicants last year
-72 seats in the program
-In APRIL they were still filling seats

DON'T. LOSE. HOPE.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the encouragement! I was definitely feeling fearful when the first round of admissions came out, but all this information is making me feel more hopeful :) I appreciate it!

Hi everyone!

I just got accepted into SJSU's program for the Fall 2017 start date! I am so stoked, this was my top school and I can't wait to meet everyone in my cohort! Does anyone know yet what they will possibly do for housing? I know it is super early to be planning this, but I am not from the bay area, so I would love if anyone could offer advice for how to afford living in the area. Good luck for everyone still waiting back, I know it can be so agonizing waiting for an acceptance!

Hi everyone!

I just got accepted into SJSU's program for the Fall 2017 start date! I am so stoked, this was my top school and I can't wait to meet everyone in my cohort! Does anyone know yet what they will possibly do for housing? I know it is super early to be planning this, but I am not from the bay area, so I would love if anyone could offer advice for how to afford living in the area. Good luck for everyone still waiting back, I know it can be so agonizing waiting for an acceptance!
Yay!! Congrats!

Finding suitable housing shouldn't be too big of a hassle as San Jose has big apt buildings everywhere. Craigslist is a great resource. Rent for a studio starts at around $800/month. The closer you get to SJSU, the more expensive it will be. Good news is that SJ has great infrastructure for public transportation. I'd look for housing close to highway 87 (or any of the intersecting freeways nearby) so you'd have easy access to the VTA that will take you downtown (bonus: you won't have to worry about on-campus parking). The bus system is very efficient as well.

As far as HOW to afford it... I'd take a realistic look at your budget. The Bay Area is expensive, no doubt. Lots of grad students hold down part time work, say 10-20 hours/week, without incident.

I live in between SJ and Santa Cruz, been here for over a decade. Let me know if you have any more questions about the area. I'm happy to share what I know!

Yay!! Congrats!

Finding suitable housing shouldn't be too big of a hassle as San Jose has big apt buildings everywhere. Craigslist is a great resource. Rent for a studio starts at around $800/month. The closer you get to SJSU, the more expensive it will be. Good news is that SJ has great infrastructure for public transportation. I'd look for housing close to highway 87 (or any of the intersecting freeways nearby) so you'd have easy access to the VTA that will take you downtown (bonus: you won't have to worry about on-campus parking). The bus system is very efficient as well.

As far as HOW to afford it... I'd take a realistic look at your budget. The Bay Area is expensive, no doubt. Lots of grad students hold down part time work, say 10-20 hours/week, without incident.

I live in between SJ and Santa Cruz, been here for over a decade. Let me know if you have any more questions about the area. I'm happy to share what I know!
This is exactly the information I needed! Thank you so much, it is such a relief to have insight from someone who lives in the area. I look forward to meeting you in the fall!:)

I need to take Abnormal Psychology Spring semester as a prerequisite. Has anyone successfully taken this class online?

Question for accepted students: has anyone received further info via snail mail or been asked to pay a deposit? I was accepted a few weeks ago; email said more info would be forthcoming--just want to reassure myself I haven't missed anything. Thanks!

Question for accepted students: has anyone received further info via snail mail or been asked to pay a deposit? I was accepted a few weeks ago; email said more info would be forthcoming--just want to reassure myself I haven't missed anything. Thanks!
I've not gotten anything yet either.

Thank you; that makes me feel better. Love the support in this group!

I wanted to let those still waiting know that I revisited my notes from the group advising session and thought I'd share:

-400+ applicants last year
-72 seats in the program
-In APRIL they were still filling seats

DON'T. LOSE. HOPE.
I am so happy to have found this group! Loving the optimism and support. I sent the OT department my documents on October 23rd because I retook the GRE to get a better essay score. Hoping there are still some spots left, waiting until April to hear back will take a lot of patience!

I need to take Abnormal Psychology Spring semester as a prerequisite. Has anyone successfully taken this class online?
Yea, I'm taking it at Foothill College right now, 100% online! It's a lot of writing but the subject matter is interesting and the assignments aren't too bad.

I received my snail mail acceptance letter today, but I was not asked to make a deposit yet! It sounds like no one else has made a deposit yet either from reading this thread

I received my snail mail acceptance letter today, but I was not asked to make a deposit yet! It sounds like no one else has made a deposit yet either from reading this thread
We did not make a deposit last year. We simply emailed Dr. Gigi Smith and told her we would be attending. Congrats on your acceptances! Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall.

Yea, I'm taking it at Foothill College right now, 100% online! It's a lot of writing but the subject matter is interesting and the assignments aren't too bad.

Thanks for the info, I will look into it!

I've received my official (snail mail) conditional acceptance too. I'm a little concerned because it says, "You must also meet the University requirements for admission and be officially accepted by the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions." What does that mean? Wouldn't GAPE have not referred my app to the Dept if I didn't meet University requirements? Does this mean there's still a chance I'm not "in"?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Last edited:
I've received my official (snail mail) conditional acceptance too. I'm a little concerned because it says, "You must also meet the University requirements for admission and be officially accepted by the SJSU Office of Graduate Admissions." What does that mean? Wouldn't GAPE have not referred my app to the Dept if I didn't meet University requirements? Does this mean there's still a chance I'm not "in"?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
This means the requirements through SJSU (GAPE), not specifically the OT program. These requirements are going to be listed in the "To-Do" section on MySJSU. GAPE needs all of your final transcripts and test scores, etc. Don't worry too much about it, you have plenty of time.

This means the requirements through SJSU (GAPE), not specifically the OT program. These requirements are going to be listed in the "To-Do" section on MySJSU. GAPE needs all of your final transcripts and test scores, etc. Don't worry too much about it, you have plenty of time.
Thank you. I've already done all of the things GAPE requires (transcripts, official GRE, etc) and there isn't/has never been anything on my "To-do" list. My portal still says "Referred to Grad Dept". So I'm good, yeah? I don't why but this has caused me a bit of anxiety! Haha

Last edited:
Thank you. I've already done all of the things GAPE requires (transcripts, official GRE, etc) and there isn't/has never been anything on my "To-do" list. My portal still says "Referred to Grad Dept". So I'm good, yeah? I don't why but this has caused me a bit of anxiety! Haha
You can always call GAPE if you are unsure, but you should be fine. It took several months for my GAPE status to update.

I took it online through Berkeley Extension. It was a lot of writing, but it was interesting, and the teacher had a video lecture for each chapter that he filmed outdoors in a beautiful garden setting, which made the videos more entertaining to watch.

I took it online through Berkeley Extension. It was a lot of writing, but it was interesting, and the teacher had a video lecture for each chapter that he filmed outdoors in a beautiful garden setting, which made the videos more entertaining to watch.
Oh good! I'll look into that too.

Congratulations to those accepted, that's really amazing! Sounds like you all had tons of volunteer hours--I'm worried that's the weakest part of my application since I've only done about 70 OT shadowing hours :( Trying to stay positive though! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!
I know it's so hard to be patient but encourage you to stay positive! I had 80 OT shadowing hours.

Congrats!!!!! Would you mind sharing your stats, and whether or not you are a first or second year applicant?! Thanks :)
Sure:
BA in Classics 2005 from OSU, 3.7 GPA
Trauma Prevention and Recovery certificate program, 2015 CCSF, 3.8 GPA
3.5 in prereqs
169 V, 158 Q, 5.0 AWA
80 OT observation hours at Laguna Honda's Rehab Unit
multiple years experience volunteering as a CASA and grief support group facilitator
3 LOR from Public Health professor, Feldenkrais mentor, and job supervisor.
I applied Jan 3, 2016, in last admissions cycle, and was not offered a spot on the waitlist. This is my second time applying.

Good luck, everyone!

What I was told by Gigi Smith during the group advising session back in April: a requirement met is a requirement met. You do not get a higher score on the rubric for completing more hours. They look at each candidate holistically once they can establish all criteria are met. Best of luck!!!!
Does that apply to everything? Has anyone heard back lately? I applied in October, but I had so many things to follow up on before I could be reviewed, so barely being reviewed in December.

Does that apply to everything? Has anyone heard back lately? I applied in October, but I had so many things to follow up on before I could be reviewed, so barely being reviewed in December.
I was wondering the same thing, because there haven't been any posts about acceptances since the beginning of December. I'm sure the OT office is closed till the beginning of the next semester, so we probably won't hear anything before then.

I was wondering the same thing, because there haven't been any posts about acceptances since the beginning of December. I'm sure the OT office is closed till the beginning of the next semester, so we probably won't hear anything before then.

I submitted my OTCAS app and GAPE in early and mid-Dec. I haven't received any response yet either.

As far as I understood it (and from what I vaguely remember being said), yes. She basically said that you do not get more "points" for having a 3.9 over a 3.5 or getting a 163 verbal on the GRE over 153, 2,000 volunteer hours over 200, etc. All of the requirements are checked off and no preference is given for higher stats. After they establish you have met all of the program requirements, I am fairly certain that they then look at you as wholly as possible, including your coursework, your letters/evals, and especially your personal statement to decide if you are a good fit for the program.

I haven't heard anything about acceptances in a while. Looks like around 30 people are in the program thus far (from what I can tell from the membership of the cohort Facebook page, so it may not be reliable info). Still plenty of hope to hold on to! Best of luck to all who are still waiting!

I haven't heard anything about acceptances in a while. Looks like around 30 people are in the program thus far (from what I can tell from the membership of the cohort Facebook page, so it may not be reliable info). Still plenty of hope to hold on to! Best of luck to all who are still waiting!

The only thing I can't meet is the GRE requirement. I took the test 3 times over the past 2 months but still got below 153 on verbal (suck at reading comp)...I emailed the graduate assistant but she never replies. English is my second lang but I think I'm pretty fluent. I still applied anyway...do you think I have a chance? sigh

The only thing I can't meet is the GRE requirement. I took the test 3 times over the past 2 months but still got below 153 on verbal (suck at reading comp)...I emailed the graduate assistant but she never replies. English is my second lang but I think I'm pretty fluent. I still applied anyway...do you think I have a chance? sigh
I honestly do not know if they will consider applicants who do not meet all of the requirements. The reading comp section of the GRE was extremely difficult, and English is my native language. I understand that it's an important gauge of our abilities to complete graduate-level work, but perhaps if you strengthen other verbal areas? If I were you, I'd focus on vocabulary and try to rock that portion of the test for next year (this is assuming you don't get in, which I genuinely hope is not the case). How far from the requirement was your actual score? And your combined, was that low as well?

I honestly do not know if they will consider applicants who do not meet all of the requirements. The reading comp section of the GRE was extremely difficult, and English is my native language. I understand that it's an important gauge of our abilities to complete graduate-level work, but perhaps if you strengthen other verbal areas? If I were you, I'd focus on vocabulary and try to rock that portion of the test for next year (this is assuming you don't get in, which I genuinely hope is not the case). How far from the requirement was your actual score? And your combined, was that low as well?

I scored 152, 149 and 150 on verbal and my quant scores are 155+ for all 3 times. AWA is 4.0. I focus primarily on vocabs for text completion and sentence equivalence. But I can barely get the 3-blank ones correct. And it seems like if I don't do well on reading comp, 153 is very difficult to reach.

As far as I understood it (and from what I vaguely remember being said), yes. She basically said that you do not get more "points" for having a 3.9 over a 3.5 or getting a 163 verbal on the GRE over 153, 2,000 volunteer hours over 200, etc. All of the requirements are checked off and no preference is given for higher stats. After they establish you have met all of the program requirements, I am fairly certain that they then look at you as wholly as possible, including your coursework, your letters/evals, and especially your personal statement to decide if you are a good fit for the program.

Thank you for replying! Useful information. Also, if you meet barely below a minimum they don't even look at it unfortunately. I almost didn't get considered until I made sure all the correct information was in, and had to prove that I did meet that requirement. This is my second year applying! I can still use the MAT which I took over 5 times. :/

In reply to kyleklin:
I also took it 3 times. I passed the last time. Verbal was my challenge as well. I also got a 152 on verbal the second time and it was so frustrating. Keep trying, you can do it!