General Admissions & OTCAS Samuel Merritt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!
I was also invited for an interview January 14th. Good luck to everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am interested in the DOT program at Samuel Merritt. I don't have the highest GPA either (3.2) I will be taking the rest of the pre reqs I have left in the spring and fall. I was wondering if everyone who got accepted had every single pre req completed upon applying? I was planning to apply August 2017. I would have the 3D craft & Anatomy left to finish in the fall..

Hi, I am interested in the DOT program at Samuel Merritt. I don't have the highest GPA either (3.2) I will be taking the rest of the pre reqs I have left in the spring and fall. I was wondering if everyone who got accepted had every single pre req completed upon applying? I was planning to apply August 2017. I would have the 3D craft & Anatomy left to finish in the fall..
I did. All my prereqs (even recommended prereqs) were complete when I applied. I was invited for an interview (which I will be declining because I got into my #1 choice). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got invited too! I'm excited yet nervous since it's their first time interviewing for the Doctorate program. Interview date is Jan14. How is everyone preparing for this interview?
Mine too...I guess there are 2 waves of interviews, one in December and one in Jan
Does anyone know how many seats are offered in the DROT program? Its about a 4 hour interview! (including writing samples and such) but still! Yikes, I'm nervous. Any info/recommendations/advise anyone could pass on would be great!

Mine too...I guess there are 2 waves of interviews, one in December and one in Jan
Does anyone know how many seats are offered in the DROT program? Its about a 4 hour interview! (including writing samples and such) but still! Yikes, I'm nervous. Any info/recommendations/advise anyone could pass on would be great!
During the webinar, they said they have 42 seats.

I also had all my prerequisites done before applying and was invited to interview in January.

Coming from the quarter system, my school does not allow students to take anatomy until Winter of their graduating year. This being so, I have not yet taken anatomy or my 3D art for that matter. I was invited for an early December interview. It's possible!!

I had an interview December 3rd. It was a lax environment, and everyone was very kind and truly there to present as much information as possible. The faculty really did just want to meet us and make sure that we would be a good fit for the university and that we really had considered our reasons for wanting to become an OT. The writing sample is pretty easy, it's not another personal statement. The interview itself only takes about ten minutes, and I was actually free to go after just 2 hours, although I chose to stay and ask the current students milling around questions. They were very open and honest. It is a very expensive program in the middle of a downtown big city, but everyone attending LOVES it, says it is worth it a million times over, and cannot say enough good things about it. I was expecting a much more anxious environment, but I would say to just relax and be yourself. Good luck to all! 

I had an interview December 3rd. It was a lax environment, and everyone was very kind and truly there to present as much information as possible. The faculty really did just want to meet us and make sure that we would be a good fit for the university and that we really had considered our reasons for wanting to become an OT. The writing sample is pretty easy, it's not another personal statement. The interview itself only takes about ten minutes, and I was actually free to go after just 2 hours, although I chose to stay and ask the current students milling around questions. They were very open and honest. It is a very expensive program in the middle of a downtown big city, but everyone attending LOVES it, says it is worth it a million times over, and cannot say enough good things about it. I was expecting a much more anxious environment, but I would say to just relax and be yourself. Good luck to all! 
I was there on the 3rd too! I totally agree with your description. It is a short interview. They ask everyone the same 5 questions so that the process is fair. Before going, and given that we all have volunteer experiences that range from pediatrics to geriatrics to psych, I was worried about the topic of the essay. It was OT related, but something that everyone could answer despite different backgrounds. I was impressed with the number of current students that were there to answer everyone's questions. They gave honest, informative answers, and were very friendly. I think they also helped to reduce the potential stress of the group by keeping us entertained/distracted while waiting for our turn to interview

Coming from the quarter system, my school does not allow students to take anatomy until Winter of their graduating year. This being so, I have not yet taken anatomy or my 3D art for that matter. I was invited for an early December interview. It's possible!!

wow that makes me feel a lot better about it.
did you have a high GPA as well?
Thanks so much for your reply and good luck with admissions!

I interviewed at SMU on Dec 3rd, and was totally surprised to be accepted for the OTD program this Friday, Dec 9th, via phone call. They did confirm that most acceptances will be sent in February.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello fellow applicants. I too have been invited to interview on the 14th. Very exciting yet I am incredibly nervous about it. This is my top choice school. Thank you to those of you who have shared your experience. It is incredibly helpful. And congrats to Aspire to be OT. That is fantastic.

Hello fellow applicants. I too have been invited to interview on the 14th. Very exciting yet I am incredibly nervous about it. This is my top choice school. Thank you to those of you who have shared your experience. It is incredibly helpful. And congrats to Aspire to be OT. That is fantastic.
How did your interview go? I interviewed 01-14 too!! I know its just been a few days, but when do you think we'll hear back? I was reading other students posts and it looks like accepted students heard back within a week! I wonder how many seats were available for the program when we interviewed..I also wonder how they do their waitlist...if we get added, does that mean that we'd be on the higher end of the waitlist? man! I hope we hear back soon! fingers crossed :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How did your interview go? I interviewed 01-14 too!! I know its just been a few days, but when do you think we'll hear back? I was reading other students posts and it looks like accepted students heard back within a week! I wonder how many seats were available for the program when we interviewed..I also wonder how they do their waitlist...if we get added, does that mean that we'd be on the higher end of the waitlist? man! I hope we hear back soon! fingers crossed :)
I agree with you that it seems as though those who have been accepted in the past found out after one week, however I also have seen past posts that took longer. I so badly want to know as well. This is my top choice school. Good thoughts sent your way :)

Has anyone who interviewed on January 14th heard back yet?

Has anyone who interviewed on January 14th heard back yet?
I heard back this afternoon that I was accepted! I'm not sure if I will decline or not, but I was told I will have 10 days to decide.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!!! Have not heard back yet. Hoping to hear back soon. *fingers crossed* anyone else heard back yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I also had all my prerequisites done before applying and was invited to interview in January.
Did you interview on 1/14? Congrats on your acceptance! Its great to know that they still had seats open when they interviewed in Jan, I thought all the seats were full because people were already getting waitlisted.

I heard back this afternoon that I was accepted! I'm not sure if I will decline or not, but I was told I will have 10 days to decide.

Congrats emgarcia03, does anyone know if emails were sent for waitlist?

Yes, I interviewed on the 14th. I've decided to accept! Good luck everyone!
Did you interview on 1/14? Congrats on your acceptance! Its great to know that they still had seats open when they interviewed in Jan, I thought all the seats were full because people were already getting waitlisted.

Congratulations on your acceptance! How were you contacted? Phone or email? Thank you

I just got an email saying that I'm #10 out of 55 on waitlist. Has anybody else heard yet? And does anybody know if it's a high chance of getting in being #10 on the waitlist? Thanks everyone!

I just got an email saying that I'm #10 out of 55 on waitlist. Has anybody else heard yet? And does anybody know if it's a high chance of getting in being #10 on the waitlist? Thanks everyone!

After scouring the forums, it looks like they have admitted up to 25 in the past off of the waitlist and that last year they admitted at least 17. So there is hope! I received an email today saying I am number 8, so I'll keep you posted if I hear anything or find out more. Good luck!

I think you have a great chance. I was waitlisted in the early 20s for last cycle and received a call in June offering me a spot off the wait list.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you have a great chance. I was waitlisted in the early 20s for last cycle and received a call in June offering me a spot off the wait list.
Thank you othopeful92! I was just waitlisted at #12 and feeling pretty devastated as SMU is my dream school. This gives me hope.

Thank you othopeful92! I was just waitlisted at #12 and feeling pretty devastated as SMU is my dream school. This gives me hope.
Looks like I'm right behind you rmkunitz. I got waitlisted at 13. I'm hopeful we will get admitted. Stay positive.

I felt the same way last year. I applied to some other schools and had already received a couple rejections so I was pretty devastated when I got the waitlist notification. They will send you monthly updates regarding your place on the waitlist. My position hardly changed on the waitlist the first couple of months. Then in May I was around #10 of 20 remaining on the waitlist and then the next month I get a call that I'm in. A lot of people will likely accept their seat while waiting to hear back from other schools (particularly SJSU who takes a while longer to send out most acceptances). Lots of people will drop off the waitlist and some that get offered a spot will decline, like I did. I know every year is different but hopefully this helps. Best of luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
I received an email saying I was #14 on the waitlist. It sounds like from what people are saying I have a good shot? Can anybody give me some reassurance or at the very least some honesty either way? haha

Looks like I'm right behind you rmkunitz. I got waitlisted at 13. I'm hopeful we will get admitted. Stay positive.

Has anyone who was waitlisted gotten any updates on their position? Or heard anything from that initial email?

Has anyone who was waitlisted gotten any updates on their position? Or heard anything from that initial email?
I was waitlisted and haven't heard anything yet. I got a little restless and emailed admissions last Thursday asking if there were any updates, but she is out of the office until tomorrow. I'll keep you posted as to what she says! Hopefully we all move off the waitlist! I'm definitely hopeful! According to the forums, last year they accepted at least 17 off of the waitlist and around 20 the two years prior to that.

I was waitlisted and haven't heard anything yet. I got a little restless and emailed admissions last Thursday asking if there were any updates, but she is out of the office until tomorrow. I'll keep you posted as to what she says! Hopefully we all move off the waitlist! I'm definitely hopeful! According to the forums, last year they accepted at least 17 off of the waitlist and around 20 the two years prior to that.

Great, thanks so much! I just was accepted to Dominican this evening, and so if it came down to Samuel Merritt or Dominican for my CA schools I think I would actually pick Dominican due to the location and campus. The costs are high for both and even though SMU is a doctorate it isn't yet approved/accredited so that scares me a little bit. It would definitely be a debate - but a debate I would love to have the option to have!

Great, thanks so much! I just was accepted to Dominican this evening, and so if it came down to Samuel Merritt or Dominican for my CA schools I think I would actually pick Dominican due to the location and campus. The costs are high for both and even though SMU is a doctorate it isn't yet approved/accredited so that scares me a little bit. It would definitely be a debate - but a debate I would love to have the option to have!
Congratulations! It looks like we are in exactly the same boat! I got accepted to Dominican yesterday, too!! I'm going to have the same debate if I move off the waitlist at SMU.

I received an email saying I was #14 on the waitlist. It sounds like from what people are saying I have a good shot? Can anybody give me some reassurance or at the very least some honesty either way? haha
I was accepted at SMU in December, but it is not my #1 choice. I am waiting to hear back from 2 other schools, and will give up my spot at SMU if I am accepted at the other s
Congratulations! It looks like we are in exactly the same boat! I got accepted to Dominican yesterday, too!! I'm going to have the same debate if I move off the waitlist at SMU.
I've got the opposite situation, accepted to SMU, and waiting to hear back from Dominican!

I was accepted at SMU in December, but it is not my #1 choice. I am waiting to hear back from 2 other schools, and will give up my spot at SMU if I am accepted at the other s

I've got the opposite situation, accepted to SMU, and waiting to hear back from Dominican!
I was accepted to SMU in January but I was just accepted to Dominican, so I will most likely give up my spot.

Do those of you who got in mind sharing your stats?

I am a little intimidated by an OTD program but anything is possible right?!? If I don't get in this round I will probably go for it but I feel my GPA may be too low :/

Hello fellow SMU OTs to be!

My name is Nayeli and I'll be starting at SMU this fall! This post is for any other student who will also be enrolling and is looking for housing. I will have two rooms available at my apartment next month. The apartment is in a gated complex and is about 15 minutes away from SMU without traffic, (or 30 with traffic). Both rooms are under $740 and there is a parking space available for $50. If anyone is interested, please feel free to message me!

Best wishes to all! :)

Has anyone heard of an update for the waitlist? Has anyone gotten in from the waitlist?

I'm number 10 on the waitlist and haven't heard anything yet. No updates yet either. I think it's still early for waitlisters to hear back. When I was reading posts from students who got waitlisted in the past few cycles, looks like they started getting a call around April/May. And most offers were made in June (I know it's late). Some admitted students who got in somewhere else and wish to go there are just now giving up their spot. And some are still waiting to hear back from other schools. I don't know how long it takes them to process the list once an admitted student gives up a spot. I do think it's still pretty early

Goodluck!

I'm number 10 on the waitlist and haven't heard anything yet. No updates yet either. I think it's still early for waitlisters to hear back. When I was reading posts from students who got waitlisted in the past few cycles, looks like they started getting a call around April/May. And most offers were made in June (I know it's late). Some admitted students who got in somewhere else and wish to go there are just now giving up their spot. And some are still waiting to hear back from other schools. I don't know how long it takes them to process the list once an admitted student gives up a spot. I do think it's still pretty early

Goodluck!

Thank you!!
I guess it is just a waiting process but scary!

I am number 8 on the waitlist and I called just now to see if there had been any movement. She said there are not any changes yet and she doesn't anticipate movement until April. She said that in the past, April/May is when people generally move off of the waitlist. She also said she plans to send an update within the next couple weeks. I guess we are all just going to have to keep our fingers crossed and keep waiting. . . Good Luck!

Can anyone who was waitlisted list their stats?? Thank you!

I received an email saying that there hasn't been any movement on the waitlist. Do you think they are waiting till a couple more people give up their spot till they offer it?

For those who got accepted, have you emailed to give up the spot?

Hopefully it will change by April!