Sample DAT study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting a lot of PMs about this "6-week program"...

Since I wasn't sure what everyone's science background is, I stretched it out to 8 weeks.... However you can EASILY convert the first 4 weeks into just 2 if you have a strong science background.

I am going to post the entire study guide here on this thread, I'll post it over 8 posts (1 post per each week).... There are 2 versions, both are very good and will get the job done if you put in your time. Start with 1 version and STICK to it, don't flip flop around, either do the KBB or the CHADS, and its not necessary to do both once your done with one.

Word of advice, the first 4 weeks are pretty harsh. Your looking at 8-12 hours of studying a day.... Again you DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS, but its there for you if you need it

I came up with this guide from reading the MCAT 10-week home-study program created by exam krackers, I liked it a lot and wanted to implement it for the DAT on a 8-week program

This is based on the following resources:
-Kaplan blue book (KBB) (2009-2010 version)
-Cliff's AP biology (3rd edition from 2007)
-DAT destroyer (2010 version)
-MATH destroyer (2010 version ~ I believe it has 11 tests)
-Crack DAT PAT software (the 10 test version)
-Chads chemistry and math videos (Optional)

Please understand that this is JUST A GUIDELINE, no one has to follow it 100%, there is no guarantee that you will score a high or low score by following it. Its mostly designed for those new folks around SDN who don't really know how or where to start studying for the DAT. This is my strategy, and I believe it will serve many.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 21 users
I am not going to take the DAT until Nov or Dec. But there is no way i can take my classes and do this schedule. I want to do it now over the summer. Is this a good idea with a huge break in between?

Members don't see this ad :)
my only solution is to follow your plan now and have it fresh(er) in my mind in the semester and be able to more or less study it more

well i havent taken physics 2 yet... i was trying to get in some of that class

Why is it important to take physics 2? Physics is a prerequisite for dental schools, but it's not on the DAT. You should get it over with this summer while studying is still fresh for you.

hmm okay. Well i think i have all the classes i really need except i have take organic 1 but no organic 2 or biochem? was gonna take that in the fall as well.

hmm okay. Well i think i have all the classes i really need except i have take organic 1 but no organic 2 or biochem? was gonna take that in the fall as well.

Orgo 1 and 2 are both part of DAT. Others will disagree, but I would highly advice against taking this test before completing BOTH Orgo 1 and 2

i really agree with you as well.. but in my current situation i think id be better off taking it after all my studying this summer then after waiting a couple months even if i some org 2 in

Since this study guide does not include a set schedule for the Reading section, I was wondering if anyone could share exactly how they're preparing for RC section. I heard Crack DAT/Reading was pretty helpful. Any suggestions?

Thanks, cheers:thumbup:

Wow. I think I will follow this schedule! looks great! Should we use the newer versions of the review materials you used? Or follow the same year model. How much does it cost around to purchase everything needed for this guideline? Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for taking your time to share the schedule! I started my prep and finding this was a blessing!

I finally started a few days ago, thanks for encouraging the Chad's video's/quizzes, they are fantastic!

For anyone that doesn't start this exactly on a Monday, I imported the schedule into my word processor and did a find/replace, Monday for Day 1, Tuesday for Day 2, ect.

Scheduling my test for August 12th! It's the day before my birthday, so that will be my reward. If I don't do well, I can kiss my dream of being a dentist goodbye! This will be my 3rd, and final, time to take it!

Anyone that happens to stumble onto this reply, don't make the mistake(s) I made, do not take the DAT until you are ready.

I finally started a few days ago, thanks for encouraging the Chad's video's/quizzes, they are fantastic!

For anyone that doesn't start this exactly on a Monday, I imported the schedule into my word processor and did a find/replace, Monday for Day 1, Tuesday for Day 2, ect.

Scheduling my test for August 12th! It's the day before my birthday, so that will be my reward. If I don't do well, I can kiss my dream of being a dentist goodbye! This will be my 3rd, and final, time to take it!

Anyone that happens to stumble onto this reply, don't make the mistake(s) I made, do not take the DAT until you are ready.

Best wishes to you!

I am currently on week 3 of this program, However i used barrons ap biology instead of KBB as i am doing chads version, so i dont have a prep for the PAT section. can i just skip that and do the crack dat pat stuff?

Also, which version would you suggest for the the Crack DAt pat, there is a $99 one with 5 tests, $130 with 10, and $200 one with 10 and buncha other stuff

thanks!

I am currently on week 3 of this program, However i used barrons ap biology instead of KBB as i am doing chads version, so i dont have a prep for the PAT section. can i just skip that and do the crack dat pat stuff?

Also, which version would you suggest for the the Crack DAt pat, there is a $99 one with 5 tests, $130 with 10, and $200 one with 10 and buncha other stuff

thanks!
Thats up to you, personally, I did the 10 test version cause my initial PAT was weak.

I m debating if i should go through KBB route or Chad's route, any suggestions?
Thats up to you.... do you like to listen from a video and learn, or do you like to study off of a book and learn?

Starting week 3 of the program with my test scheduled for Aug 8th!. Everything is going well so far, however I don't see how you say it takes 8-12 hours a day. I am currently doing 5-6 and covering all of the required material. Also, for those of you that wish to spread it out some. I personally am taking one day per week to review rather than going for new material 7 days a week. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Starting on week 5 using Chads. How do I incorporate reading comprehension and PAT into my daily problem set, i.e. what material to use? Is there another schedule on SDN that you would recommend for this part?

Thank you.

Week5 Using KBB:

Week5 Using CHADS:

You will be spreading the destroyer problems over a 2 week period. The new 2010 destroyer has 232 orgo, 242 GC, and 377 biology questions. I will divide them such that over the next 2 weeks, you will go over the ENTIRE destroyer 2x times. Each day you will do 22 orgo problems, 23 GC problems, and 36 biology problems[/COLOR]

Thursday: Do the following DAT destroyer problems:
Orgo 1 – 22
GC 1 – 23
Biology 1 – 36

Starting on week 5 using Chads. How do I incorporate reading comprehension and PAT into my daily problem set, i.e. what material to use? Is there another schedule on SDN that you would recommend for this part?

Thank you.

PAT practice tests from CrackDATPAT software are scattered around between weeks 5-8 (read the plans carefully, its there).

Reading, I can't give any suggestions as I never mastered this portion.... I took the reading section basically "as-is" and hoped for the best.... It wasn't the smartest strategy, but I did get a 19, so I was more than happy w/ that.

I think I'm going to reduce the amount of QR stuff suggested in the guide. It's just not very important from what I've heard, and I managed a 19 on that section last time with no prep at all. I'm not even great at math either

I think a few full practice tests are needed though and stuffing them in at the last week seems like a bad idea because if you aren't doing as well as you hoped it's kind of too late by that point. Shouldn't you start taking prac. tests 3-4 weeks before test day to see where you still need improvement? Any less and I feel like the pressure will start to get you since there wouldn't be that much time to improve

I think I'm going to reduce the amount of QR stuff suggested in the guide. It's just not very important from what I've heard, and I managed a 19 on that section last time with no prep at all. I'm not even great at math either

I think a few full practice tests are needed though and stuffing them in at the last week seems like a bad idea because if you aren't doing as well as you hoped it's kind of too late by that point. Shouldn't you start taking prac. tests 3-4 weeks before test day to see where you still need improvement? Any less and I feel like the pressure will start to get you since there wouldn't be that much time to improve

I would advice against the bolded above. Think about it, it seems like you are naturally good at QR so why not take advantage of that? spending more time with QR will possibly ensure a huge score (say 25+).... do you know what a 25 in 1 section does to ur Accademic Average? QR (unlike PAT) is calculated into the average, you should take advantage of that

Any suggestions on which versions of the CDP I should get? Is the Royal Flush worth $200? I also have an older version of DAT destroyer (2011). Should I get the newer version?
Thanx.

Any suggestions on which versions of the CDP I should get? Is the Royal Flush worth $200? I also have an older version of DAT destroyer (2011). Should I get the newer version?
Thanx.

no one can answer this.... depends on the student. Some people can land a 20 in PAT without ever touching any practice material.... others (majority - myself included) need practice.

I wouldn't have scored a 20PAT on the real deal if I had not done the 10 CDP version... Matter of fact, when I got to exam #5 (if I remember correctly) I was still lingering between 17-18... I needed the bigger version

Thank you so much for this! It's really giving me direction in studying. Just a question though where can I get practice tests to work on? The KBB comes with one practice test and another one online. Any suggestions?

I am a week into the program. A question for all you guys. How are you reviewing all the stuff that you've already gone over from the previous days? Do you read your notes everyday or something?

Hey dentalWorks, just wanted to thank you for the schedule, I followed the 6 week plan pretty precisely and condensed it to my first 5 weeks of studying, then did topscore/review for my last two. Really appreciate the outline as I credit it for giving a solid, structured schedule to work around.
My breakdown is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1018243

When it says to go much slower and grasp everything, does this mean to know all the little details/know the chapter almost verbatim? If so, I am in week 3 Friday and am starting to forget a lot of details. It also takes me like 12+ hours sometimes to finish the days work. Should I go back and review or should I wait till I get to the practice tests?

Hey Dentalworks

I am starting this study schedule but I do not have KBB. Instead I am enrolled in a Kapplan course which comes with a bunch of workshops and a review notes book.

Is the reading on KBB on the same topic as cliffs reading or is it on a different topic ? The reason I'm asking is because I am trying to make sure i substitute similar information.

If you are enrolled in the Kaplan course, the Review Notes is the same as KBB except more complete. The KBB and Cliffs's chapters are not inline with each other, so I think this way, you get exposed to the same material more than once.

When it says to go much slower and grasp everything, does this mean to know all the little details/know the chapter almost verbatim? If so, I am in week 3 Friday and am starting to forget a lot of details. It also takes me like 12+ hours sometimes to finish the days work. Should I go back and review or should I wait till I get to the practice tests?

thats normal w/ everyone. You will not remember the specific details (even 48 hours after you've looked at it). Thats where the last 4 weeks of the study plan come into play, where you do problem solving, THATS THE REVIEW/RE-INFORCEMENT of facts.

Do not go back and review, just keep pushing forward. And don't kill yourself with ALL the details (mostly talking about biology), just understand the big picture.

Hey guys is the kbb reading on the same topic as the cliff notes chapter or is it on a different topic? I don't have kbb but I have a Kaplan review notes book so I thought they could be switched

If you are enrolled in the Kaplan course, the Review Notes is the same as KBB except more complete. The KBB and Cliffs's chapters are not inline with each other, so I think this way, you get exposed to the same material more than once.

ignore that last comment. I didn't see this when I posted that.

Anyone who is using KBB, could you please list the chapters and the topic of the chapter. for example Biology ch. 1 - the cell.

Also, I need some suggestions on whether to but CPAT or Achiever PAT.

This will be my second time taking the test and I need some help on what strategies to use on TFE and key holes. Also when I took the PAT the first time the hole punching and angle ranking sections were much harder than I had practiced. So i need to get the software with higher difficulty.

any recommendations?

Thanks for the reply! Almost had a panic attack cause I had forgotten a lot of details. But I do understand the bigger picture.

Anyone who is using KBB, could you please list the chapters and the topic of the chapter. for example Biology ch. 1 - the cell.

Section 2: Bio
Ch 1: Basis of Life
Ch 2 : Reproduction
Ch 3: Genetics
Ch 4: Vertebrate Embryology
Ch 5: Vascular Systems in Animals
Ch 6: Endocrinology
Ch 7: Nervous System
Ch 8: Respiration
Ch 9: Muscles and Locomotion
Ch 10: Digestion
Ch 11: Excretion
Ch 12: Animal Behavior
Ch 13: Ecology
Ch 14: Classification
Ch 15: Evolution

Section 3: Gen Chem
Ch 1: Atomic Structure
Ch 2: Periodic Table
Ch 3: Bonding and Chemical Interactions
Ch 4: Compounds and Stoichiometry
Ch 5: Chemical Kinetics and Equilibrium
Ch 6: Thermochemistry
Ch 7: The Gas Phase
Ch 8: Phases and Phase Changes
Ch 9: Solutions
Ch 10: Acids and Bases
Ch 11: Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry
Ch 12: Nuclear Phenomena

Section 4: Orgo
Ch 1: Nomenclature
Ch 2: Isomers
Ch 3: Bonding
Ch 4: Alkanes
Ch 5: Alkenes and Alkynes
Ch 6: Aromatic Compounds
Ch 7: Alcohols and Ethers
Ch 8: Aldehydes and Ketones
Ch 9: Carboxylic Acids
Ch 10: Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
Ch 11: Amines and Nitrogen-Containing Compounds
Ch 12: Purification and Separation
Ch 13: Spectroscopy
Ch 14: Carbohydrates
Ch 15: Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins

Section 5: PAT
Ch 1:Intro stuff about PAT
Ch 2:Keyholes Practice
Ch 3: TFE Practice
Ch 4: Angle Ranking Practice
Ch 5: Hole Punching Practice
Ch 6: Cube Counting Practice
Ch 7: Pattern Folding Practice

Section 6 - 8 is RC, math review, and a DAT test.
I don't know why you needed this but here you go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Almost had a panic attack cause I had forgotten a lot of details. But I do understand the bigger picture.

Section 2: Bio
Ch 1: Basis of Life
Ch 2 : Reproduction
Ch 3: Genetics
Ch 4: Vertebrate Embryology
Ch 5: Vascular Systems in Animals
Ch 6: Endocrinology
Ch 7: Nervous System
Ch 8: Respiration
Ch 9: Muscles and Locomotion
Ch 10: Digestion
Ch 11: Excretion
Ch 12: Animal Behavior
Ch 13: Ecology
Ch 14: Classification
Ch 15: Evolution

Section 3: Gen Chem
Ch 1: Atomic Structure
Ch 2: Periodic Table
Ch 3: Bonding and Chemical Interactions
Ch 4: Compounds and Stoichiometry
Ch 5: Chemical Kinetics and Equilibrium
Ch 6: Thermochemistry
Ch 7: The Gas Phase
Ch 8: Phases and Phase Changes
Ch 9: Solutions
Ch 10: Acids and Bases
Ch 11: Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry
Ch 12: Nuclear Phenomena

Section 4: Orgo
Ch 1: Nomenclature
Ch 2: Isomers
Ch 3: Bonding
Ch 4: Alkanes
Ch 5: Alkenes and Alkynes
Ch 6: Aromatic Compounds
Ch 7: Alcohols and Ethers
Ch 8: Aldehydes and Ketones
Ch 9: Carboxylic Acids
Ch 10: Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
Ch 11: Amines and Nitrogen-Containing Compounds
Ch 12: Purification and Separation
Ch 13: Spectroscopy
Ch 14: Carbohydrates
Ch 15: Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins

Section 5: PAT
Ch 1:Intro stuff about PAT
Ch 2:Keyholes Practice
Ch 3: TFE Practice
Ch 4: Angle Ranking Practice
Ch 5: Hole Punching Practice
Ch 6: Cube Counting Practice
Ch 7: Pattern Folding Practice

Section 6 - 8 is RC, math review, and a DAT test.
I don't know why you needed this but here you go.

Thanks a lot. I needed them bc I'm using kaplan review notes book instead of KBB and I want to make sure I study similar topics that the KBB offers.

just wondering but is a periodic table provided when you take the DAT? Actually, is a formula sheet provided as well?

Last edited:
I have a pretty heavy science back group (human physio, grad school for the sciences), but haven't taken gen chem or orgo in three years. This is my second time taking it (first time i got an 18 - used datqvault, kaplan course, chad's videos) so i was familiar with everything just because of studying for the dat 6 months ago.

I took the DAT today and used the 6 week guide, almost to a T. The only differences: instead of a 2 day break after the first 2 weeks i took a 4 day break and a 5 day break the next weekend, then finished with 3 weeks of studying. Then I took two full top score tests, one this past Saturday and the other Sunday. Yesterday I reviewed as much as I could get through in 8-10 hours.

Hopefully that helps people with if this 6 week plan works. Enjoy. Good luck.

PAT: 21
RC:24
QR: 20
Bio:20
GC:20
OC:20
Total science: 20
AA: 21

Last edited:
Thank you for the study schedule.

I condensed it a bit to 6 weeks but intend to pretty much follow it all the way through! Thanks for saving a lot of time for all of us :D

Finished with this schedule the other day! Thanks for everything dentalWorks. I posted my breakdown in a separate thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14343528#post14343528) but for my scores using this method I received:

Bio-20
GC-20
Orgo-20
TS-20
PAT-20
QR-20
RC-22
AA- 20

If anyone has any questions feel free to reply to this or comment over on my separate thread.

Best of Luck to everybody following this study schedule, and stay positive!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think if I studied a couple more hours per day I could finish it in 6 weeks? I have a perfect 6 week study span over Christmas break. Actually I can probably just take out some science stuff since I am good at that.

Last edited:
Sorry gentlemen and ladies however when you say the KBB .... Do you mean the Kaplan blue book that you get from the bookstore or the really big blue Kaplan review notes book that you receive with your Kaplan course?! Thank you!

Hi everyone! I condensed this schedule to fit into my Christmas Break and thought I'd share. Hope it's helpful!

4 WEEK DAT REVIEW
Day 1:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 1 (Chemistry)
Kaplan’s Chapter 1 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 2:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 2 (Cells)
Kaplan’s Chapter 2 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 3:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 3 (Cellular Respiration)
Kaplan’s Chapter 3 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 4:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 4 (Photosynthesis)
Kaplan’s Chapter 4 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 5:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 5 (Cell Division)
Kaplan’s Chapter 5 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 6:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 6 (Heredity)
Kaplan’s Chapter 6 on Biology, General Chem, Orgo, and Math

Day 7:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 7 (Molecular Genetics)
Kaplan’s Chapter 7 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo

Day 8:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 8 (Evolution)
Kaplan’s Chapter 8 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT introductory section and “Keyholes Practicing Set”

Day 9:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 9 (Biological Diversity)
Kaplan’s Chapter 9 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Top-Front-End Practicing Set”

Day 10:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 10 (Plants)
Kaplan’s Chapter 10 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Angle Ranking Practicing Set”

Day 11:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 11 (Animal Form and Function)
Kaplan’s Chapter 11 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Hole Punching Practicing Set”

Day 12:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 12 (Animal Reproduction and Development)
Kaplan’s Chapter 12 on Biology, General Chem, and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Cube counting Practicing Set”

Day 13:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 13 (Animal Behavior)
Kaplan’s Chapter 13 on Biology and Orgo
Kaplan’s PAT “Pattern Folding Practicing Set”

Day 14:
Cliff’s AP biology chapter 14 (Ecology)
Kaplan’s Chapter 14 on Biology and Orgo

Day 15:
Kaplan’s chapter 15 in biology and Orgo

Day 16:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 1 – 22
GC 1 – 23
Biology 1 – 36
Crack DAT PAT test #1
Math Destroyer test #1, review answers

Day 17:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 23 - 45
GC 24 - 47
Biology 37 – 73
Math Destroyer test #2, review your answers

Day 18:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 46 - 68
GC 48 - 71
Biology 74 - 110
Math Destroyer test #3, review your answers

Day 19:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 69 - 91
GC 72 - 95
Biology 111 - 147
Math Destroyer test #4, review your answers

Day 20:
Review Crack DAT PAT test #1
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 92 - 114
GC 96 - 119
Biology 148 - 184
Crack DAT PAT test #2
Math Destroyer test #5, review your answers

Day 21:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 115 - 137
GC 120 - 143
Biology 185 - 221
Math Destroyer test #6, review your answers

Day 22:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 138 - 160
GC 144 - 167
Biology 222 - 258
Math Destroyer test #7, review your answers

Day 23:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 161 - 183
GC 168 - 191
Biology 259 - 295
Math Destroyer test #8, review your answers

Day 24:
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 184 - 206
GC 192 - 215
Biology 296 - 332
Math Destroyer test #9, review your answers

Day 25:
Review Crack DAT PAT test #2
DAT Destroyer:
Orgo 207 – 232
GC 216 - 242
Biology 332 – 377
Crack DAT PAT test #3
Math Destroyer test #10, review your answers

Day 26:
Crack DAT PAT test #4
Math Destroyer test #11, review your answers

Day 27:
Crack DAT PAT test #5, #6, #7

Day 28:
Crack DAT PAT test #8, #9, #10

Reactions: 1 user
I am not OCD but I so very much want to correct your "your" to "you are"
It drove me nuts! And you have so many of them !