Sample DAT study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting a lot of PMs about this "6-week program"...

Since I wasn't sure what everyone's science background is, I stretched it out to 8 weeks.... However you can EASILY convert the first 4 weeks into just 2 if you have a strong science background.

I am going to post the entire study guide here on this thread, I'll post it over 8 posts (1 post per each week).... There are 2 versions, both are very good and will get the job done if you put in your time. Start with 1 version and STICK to it, don't flip flop around, either do the KBB or the CHADS, and its not necessary to do both once your done with one.

Word of advice, the first 4 weeks are pretty harsh. Your looking at 8-12 hours of studying a day.... Again you DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS, but its there for you if you need it

I came up with this guide from reading the MCAT 10-week home-study program created by exam krackers, I liked it a lot and wanted to implement it for the DAT on a 8-week program

This is based on the following resources:
-Kaplan blue book (KBB) (2009-2010 version)
-Cliff's AP biology (3rd edition from 2007)
-DAT destroyer (2010 version)
-MATH destroyer (2010 version ~ I believe it has 11 tests)
-Crack DAT PAT software (the 10 test version)
-Chads chemistry and math videos (Optional)

Please understand that this is JUST A GUIDELINE, no one has to follow it 100%, there is no guarantee that you will score a high or low score by following it. Its mostly designed for those new folks around SDN who don't really know how or where to start studying for the DAT. This is my strategy, and I believe it will serve many.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 21 users
i know i'm quoting something from a long time ago, but i actually know many people who scored 22-26 on their DAT with just the kaplan class..

NOT saying I'm as smart as they are...!

I want to try to follow this schedule as I have roughly 8 weeks. I have Kaplan Books from 2005 (Review Notes thick book & thinner Lesson Book). I have the full Crack DAT software suite with at least 10 full practice exams (most of them more)

I also have the full Chad's video subscription for the next few months, which includes math, ochem, bio, gchem...

should I get Destroyer books at all? Is there any other practice I can get for the PAT section somewhere??

I can't say that I'm strong on any of the subjects, although when I took the actual DAT after haphazardly studying for it for a couple months I got a 22 or 23 on the Reading comp.. Sciences were really low - like 12-15 because I didn't do any reading...don't remember how I did on PAT and Math, but the score I got was 16 overall. I know for sure I can do better on PAT than I did last time....

anyway, how good of a measure is Crack DAT scores?

Also, how much can one improve his score would you say?

I feel like my biggest enemy for the tests in general is running out of time. Although, when I took the test many years ago, I think I remember having a little time left over... weird....

My friend who took the test a couple times (had to retake b/c score expired after 3 years) got 22 & 23 (24 on PAT at least one of those times...don't know the other).....He said on every section except for Reading, he had time enough to go back and look at each question twice..........! So he had time to take like 3x as many problems in the given time frame?! He also said he had never really timed himself for the reading section, so that's probably why he didn't have extra time...

any advice would be appreciated. good luck to you all :)

In my limited time with SDN and the plethora of PMs I get with topics such as "HELP NEED TO RETAKE DAT"... I can tell you 2 things I am sure of

#1) Kaplan book alone is not enough. And I am saying this from a rough (self-estimated) approximation, that 95% of people whom do only kaplan book will be unhappy with their scores. However, kaplan class (something I am not too familiar with) seems to give an advantage to those whom use it RELIGIOUSLY (yes I am referring to the online tests).... seems like people whom take the class AND THE tests very seriously tend to score well (20 and above is common).

#2) I will always be an advocate for DAT destroyer (mostly for its orgo and GC sections, biology IMO isn't helpful)

I didn't think I was unusually good at GC until I did a few more practice tests and was surprised to be doing very well. I think destroyer is very good for that. The only thing I added to the schedule was "Exam Kracker Audio Osmosis". I started listening to that on my ipod in December or so and just constantly had it on when possible, probably went through it a good 6 times or so. Very happy to no longer need to hear their lame jokes incessantly :D

Cool.
One more thing :p
What do you do to prepare for RC? And where did you find practice tets? I've got one in my KBB and that's about it 0__0 Can i get anymore for free or something?

Is it supposed to take me 8+ hours to answer the questions, go over the questions, and then take the math destroyer test (which i can't answer anything)? Because it is. Basically I start at 1030am and end at 1am. Maybe 4 hours worth of 'breaks'. Pretty depressing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it supposed to take me 8+ hours to answer the questions, go over the questions, and then take the math destroyer test (which i can't answer anything)? Because it is. Basically I start at 1030am and end at 1am. Maybe 4 hours worth of 'breaks'. Pretty depressing.

That's how it was for me. The first 4 weeks I would start around 10am or so and finish around 7-9pm most nights. The 2nd 4 weeks I wasn't finishing until close to midnight every night. I decided to take out taking the Math Destroyer tests a 2nd time because I felt like they were easy anyway so that gave me a little more time but still I was finishing close to when I went to sleep. Definitely didn't work straight through though considering 3 meals per day, nearly daily workouts, texting people, etc.

I don't know how anyone can follow this with a job

Hi, I have a pretty neutral background in bio and I was wondering if you REALLY need to use both Cliff's AP AND KBB? I study the exhausting 8-12 hours a day but I just can't seem to get through every single thing, so I was thinking about removing one of these. Do you think it's a good idea, if so then which one should I take out? I also have the DAT Destroyer problems for bio that I will be using after reviewing.

Started the study program 9 July LOTS of info, but I am DETERMINED. Thanks for the STudy Schedule.

It's going great, just super tough. I'm balancing a work schedule as well so I get home around 4-430pm and study from then on into to night. I just finished the 1st day of week 3 of Chad's. I am curious to see how well I will do on a practice test. I didnt take a diagnostic test before starting the program, not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I am putting all of my efforts into this study program and hopefully I fair well. Are you using this program?

This was a great schedule! It really helped me a lot! Thank you so much!

Here are my scores. I just took the DAT Friday. In addition to this schedule, I used TopScore and Crack the DAT's PAT package. I didn't use the Math Destroyer though. I have the 2011 DAT Destroyer that had a QR section in it. I definitely recommend Chad's videos. They helped a lot as well.

QR: 20
PAT: 23
RC: 22
BIO: 21
GC: 22
OC: 23
TS: 22
AA: 22

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, thought I should add on to this great study program with some study tips that I've found useful:

http://web.mit.edu/uaap/learning/teach/smarter/where.html

Studying in 1 hour blocks has been very effective for me to keep focus for long all day study sessions. (50 minutes study, 10 minute break). There's a reason why block scheduling is in 50 to 60 minute periods.

Also, the site makes reference of research that shows 60 minutes of study during day is more effective than studying 90 minutes at night. When possible of course.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone have any feedback on doing kaplan in class/online test prep? Im torn between doing self study or Kaplan.

I did Kaplan Course, Kaplan Online, Kaplan Blue Book, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Crack the Dat PAT, and TopScore Practice Exams...

Perceptual Ability: 24
Quantitative Reasoning: 20
Reading Comprehension: 26
Biology: 22
General Chemistry: 26
Organic Chemistry: 23
Total Science: 23
Academic Average: 23 = 98.7 percentile

Studied all summer and it turned out pretty well.

Here is a schedule I put into an excel sheet which I used this summer.. Just incase someone needs a base that is similar to the 8 week schedule

Attachments

• DAT STUDY SCHEDULE - Copy.xls
    61.5 KB · Views: 595
Thanks a lot for this great plan. I am on day 7 and it has been going great so far. Finally gives a purpose to my DAT studying.

Im just wondering what you guys take notes on for bio? Cause I have done it for chapters 1 and 2 and they have taken me WAY too long. I just feel that Im taking notes on just about everything that Im reading. I might as well just read the chapter instead of the note that Im taking.

Thats awesome, Happy for you. am going to be doing the same thing this summer. when did you start studying? what was ur schedule like? and whats your academic background? any advice.

This schedule, for me, was a great template for designing my own time table for studying the DAT. The emphasis toward taking practice exams at the end and leading up to the test date is spot on. It is imperative to take a few practice exams early on in your study approach as well, to get a grip on the style of questions and where you fall in your abilities to attack each subject as well as which subject is the most time consuming.

Hello, I am new here and am very sorry if this has already been asked. I tried to search for this question specifically and didn't find anything. Do you believe that these 2010 study books are still sufficient for the 2013 DAT? I am expecting to take the course this spring, perhaps in May.

Thank you!

Thanks for posting this schedule! If you don't mind me asking, what were your scores after applying this schedule to study for the DAT?

This has probably been asked before, but can this program be successfully followed if you're planning on working part time? Let's say, 6 hours a day?

The 10-tests is what makes CrackDATPAT shine, its your choice if you wanna spend $130 or $200 :D

However with the royal edition ($200), I think you get extra practice (like a few thousand more) questions for certain topics. Did anyone find those questions worthy?

Curious if anyone believes that the royal flush edition of crack the DAT PAT is worth it, or if anyone who bought the Ace edition wish they had more practice questions?

There's 15,000 extra practice questions in the royal and I don't know if its possible to do that many within the 2 months I have to study! Haha
Thank you for your input and thank you for this study schedule!

I am getting a lot of PMs about this "6-week program"...

Since I wasn't sure what everyone's science background is, I stretched it out to 8 weeks.... However you can EASILY convert the first 4 weeks into just 2 if you have a strong science background.

I am going to post the entire study guide here on this thread, I'll post it over 8 posts (1 post per each week).... There are 2 versions, both are very good and will get the job done if you put in your time. Start with 1 version and STICK to it, don't flip flop around, either do the KBB or the CHADS, and its not necessary to do both once your done with one.

Word of advice, the first 4 weeks are pretty harsh. Your looking at 8-12 hours of studying a day.... Again you DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS, but its there for you if you need it

I came up with this guide from reading the MCAT 10-week home-study program created by exam krackers, I liked it a lot and wanted to implement it for the DAT on a 8-week program

This is based on the following resources:
-Kaplan blue book (KBB) (2009-2010 version)
-Cliff’s AP biology (3rd edition from 2007)
-DAT destroyer (2010 version)
-MATH destroyer (2010 version ~ I believe it has 11 tests)
-Crack DAT PAT software (the 10 test version)
-Chads chemistry and math videos (Optional)

Please understand that this is JUST A GUIDELINE, no one has to follow it 100%, there is no guarantee that you will score a high or low score by following it. Its mostly designed for those new folks around SDN who don’t really know how or where to start studying for the DAT. This is my strategy, and I believe it will serve many.

Thank you so much for this schedule. I definitely plan on using it during my preparation. I was wondering, what was your DAT scores like after applying this study schedule for your test preparation? If you could post your results, that would be great:)

I just took the DAT today, final scores being:

PAT: 21
TS: 20
AA: 22

I definitely could have done better, but as things are, I'm pretty happy. I condensed the 8-week schedule to 4 weeks (winter break) and I would've been beyond lost without the original template to follow. Thank you so much dentalWorks and everyone else here!

DAT Done Today, followed this schedule very closely, adding in TopScore and DATQvault practice tests at the end

AA - 21
TS - 20
PAT - 21

As someone who is pursuing dental school, I'm in the process of trying to get set up for classes by setting up meeting with registrar's etc. so i can get course information etc. I'm not too-too strong in the sciences, but I've had honors courses in the past.

Would it be a good idea to use this study guide before I actually start classes of any kind? Or should I wait until I'm in the courses absorbing material before I start studying for the DAT?

Also can I use these books, or should I go for the newer stuff. What I mean is, are these 2007'ish books still viable for the test?

Thanks!

As someone who is pursuing dental school, I'm in the process of trying to get set up for classes by setting up meeting with registrar's etc. so i can get course information etc. I'm not too-too strong in the sciences, but I've had honors courses in the past.

Would it be a good idea to use this study guide before I actually start classes of any kind? Or should I wait until I'm in the courses absorbing material before I start studying for the DAT?

Also can I use these books, or should I go for the newer stuff. What I mean is, are these 2007'ish books still viable for the test?

Thanks!

not a good idea. this guide (or any guide material you use) are designed to be a REVIEW.... this is not meant to teach someone stuff from scratch.

not a good idea. this guide (or any guide material you use) are designed to be a REVIEW.... this is not meant to teach someone stuff from scratch.

Thanks for the reply, I figured as much, just wanted to be sure.

Would you recommend any books for someone to study over until the Fall Semester begins to prep for Chem/Physics?

Thanks.

I have exactly 4 months until I take the DAT (July 15). I'm a non-trad 40-year-old working Bioengineer with a wife and a kid on the way (no kids yet) and I will be mixing in shadowing and volunteer time over this same study period. I have all of the prep materials you mention except Kaplan (not necessary in my mind).

Would you agree that, with 16 weeks remaining, I could simply extrapolate your plan over 16 weeks (essentially half over more weeks) and have decent results?

Thanks for the efforts!

I have exactly 4 months until I take the DAT (July 15). I'm a non-trad 40-year-old working Bioengineer with a wife and a kid on the way (no kids yet) and I will be mixing in shadowing and volunteer time over this same study period. I have all of the prep materials you mention except Kaplan (not necessary in my mind).

Would you agree that, with 16 weeks remaining, I could simply extrapolate your plan over 16 weeks (essentially half over more weeks) and have decent results?

Thanks for the efforts!

you can do whatever you feel like, as far as would it be as beneficial? I don't know, I don't see why not.

my only recommendation to people is, don't stretch out the study period beyond 3+ months, thats when you start forgetting stuff studied in the first few weeks.

Thank you for the study plan. I am currently on week 2 using Chads videos. I just have one question. I have been studying material from Cliffs and KBB and at the end of every chapter of Cliffs are quizzes, which are very helpful. My question is, I know DAT destroyer is there for practice problems, but is there anything we can use to practice problems as we go along?

I don't want to use DAT destroyer just yet because I haven't studied enough to dive into that. I want to save that for week 5 according to your plan.

For example, doing GC with Chad, his quizzes are not enough. I would like to do more problems after studying individual topics because that helps to not forget over the course of the study plan. The KBB doesn't have questions/quizzes at the end of chapters, which I find very unhelpful.

Any input?

Thank you for the study plan. I am currently on week 2 using Chads videos. I just have one question. I have been studying material from Cliffs and KBB and at the end of every chapter of Cliffs are quizzes, which are very helpful. My question is, I know DAT destroyer is there for practice problems, but is there anything we can use to practice problems as we go along?

I don't want to use DAT destroyer just yet because I haven't studied enough to dive into that. I want to save that for week 5 according to your plan.

For example, doing GC with Chad, his quizzes are not enough. I would like to do more problems after studying individual topics because that helps to not forget over the course of the study plan. The KBB doesn't have questions/quizzes at the end of chapters, which I find very unhelpful.

Any input?

My gawd, this thread is about 3 years old and I completely forgot to mention the following:

The KBB comes in 2 forms (the classic blue one everyone can buy from anywhere ~ amazon, ebay, etc etc). The other form is the white book.

The white book is the same as the KBB EXCEPT its only given off to students whom entroll into the Kaplan DAT course. Its basically KBB but with the addition of problems and solutions at the end of each chapter (I found those esspecially helpful for Orgo and gen chem).

Here is the white book I am referring to (one to the left):
http://www.amazon.com/Review-Notes-...TF8&qid=1365521878&sr=8-7&keywords=kaplan+dat

Thats odd, I have the white book. I just took kaplan last summer, and the book that I have is the same as the one on the left but there are no post chapter practice problems...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

Thats odd, I have the white book. I just took kaplan last summer, and the book that I have is the same as the one on the left but there are no post chapter practice problems...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

that is indeed strange.... I remember using the 2008 version of the white kaplan book, it had questions and solutions at the end of each chapter (I found them especially helpful for gen chem and orgo).

that is indeed strange.... I remember using the 2008 version of the white kaplan book, it had questions and solutions at the end of each chapter (I found them especially helpful for gen chem and orgo).

so do we try to get the white book with the problems at the end?

Wow, I tagged this 3 years ago, and instead of doing it, I spent a lot of money on Kaplan and taking the DAT (twice now) when I wasn't ready.

So here I am, about to start on this 8 week journey... I'm having trouble with ordering Crack the DAT PAT as I made a 21 the first time on the PAT and a 23 the second time.

If the PAT is my strong suite, shouldn't I just review it with the Kaplan course materials I have instead of spending another $130 on software?

Also...

Are the Chad's video's worth it? I tend to zone out with informational video's, I'm thinking about just going the Kaplan route. I just ordered the Destroyer software, on sale on Ebay for $270 shipped for the 3-pack. I was pretty weak in Organic, so I went ahead and got their Organic book too (only $53 more).

I'm pretty sure I haven't been accepted due to my low GPA and low DAT. I'm hoping that if I get my DAT up they will go ahead and take me. I'm meeting with the Dean at UTHSC soon so we can review what I need to work on, but I'm sure the DAT is a major part. He want's at least a 19 now.

Wow, I tagged this 3 years ago, and instead of doing it, I spent a lot of money on Kaplan and taking the DAT (twice now) when I wasn't ready.

So here I am, about to start on this 8 week journey... I'm having trouble with ordering Crack the DAT PAT as I made a 21 the first time on the PAT and a 23 the second time.

If the PAT is my strong suite, shouldn't I just review it with the Kaplan course materials I have instead of spending another $130 on software?

Also...

Are the Chad's video's worth it? I tend to zone out with informational video's, I'm thinking about just going the Kaplan route. I just ordered the Destroyer software, on sale on Ebay for $270 shipped for the 3-pack. I was pretty weak in Organic, so I went ahead and got their Organic book too (only $53 more).

I'm pretty sure I haven't been accepted due to my low GPA and low DAT. I'm hoping that if I get my DAT up they will go ahead and take me. I'm meeting with the Dean at UTHSC soon so we can review what I need to work on, but I'm sure the DAT is a major part. He want's at least a 19 now.

1. Kaplan isn't sufficient for PAT, even if it is your "strong suite." ;) I suggest geting crack DAT PAT and achiever. Given that you've taken the test twice already and done well in the PAT, you may be able to forego these, but I wouldn't suggest it. I think PAT is one of those "if you dont use it you lose it" things.
2. Chads is way, way worth it. I wouldn't have done nearly as well in the chemistries without him.
3. Destroyer isn't software, but is a book, and a powerful one at that. I suggest learning it cover to cover, and repeating questions several times.
4. Good luck!

Ok so I am doing the schedule but I feel that for Week 1 there is too little material to fill the days. Today is Wednesday and I almost finished with the material for the whole week, is that normal?

Ok so I am doing the schedule but I feel that for Week 1 there is too little material to fill the days. Today is Wednesday and I almost finished with the material for the whole week, is that normal?

no its not normal. Most people spend 8-10 hours per day doing the readings per day (especially for the initial four weeks)... how are you going through it so fast?

no its not normal. Most people spend 8-10 hours per day doing the readings per day (especially for the initial four weeks)... how are you going through it so fast?
No, I'm just saying with the videos, some of them not even take 30 min., I'm not including Cliffs/Kaplan reading, I'm going slow with those.

hey guysi was wondering how would i alter it if im not going to study on the weekends? help please