Sample DAT study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting a lot of PMs about this "6-week program"...

Since I wasn't sure what everyone's science background is, I stretched it out to 8 weeks.... However you can EASILY convert the first 4 weeks into just 2 if you have a strong science background.

I am going to post the entire study guide here on this thread, I'll post it over 8 posts (1 post per each week).... There are 2 versions, both are very good and will get the job done if you put in your time. Start with 1 version and STICK to it, don't flip flop around, either do the KBB or the CHADS, and its not necessary to do both once your done with one.

Word of advice, the first 4 weeks are pretty harsh. Your looking at 8-12 hours of studying a day.... Again you DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS, but its there for you if you need it

I came up with this guide from reading the MCAT 10-week home-study program created by exam krackers, I liked it a lot and wanted to implement it for the DAT on a 8-week program

This is based on the following resources:
-Kaplan blue book (KBB) (2009-2010 version)
-Cliff's AP biology (3rd edition from 2007)
-DAT destroyer (2010 version)
-MATH destroyer (2010 version ~ I believe it has 11 tests)
-Crack DAT PAT software (the 10 test version)
-Chads chemistry and math videos (Optional)

Please understand that this is JUST A GUIDELINE, no one has to follow it 100%, there is no guarantee that you will score a high or low score by following it. Its mostly designed for those new folks around SDN who don't really know how or where to start studying for the DAT. This is my strategy, and I believe it will serve many.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 21 users
The guide you posted in the beginning of the forum is the actual one? Also the books are all updated and all too?

I don't think the books are updated much (especially the destroyer books)... as you can see, the guide was written almost 2 years ago.... but it doesn't take a lot to modify it according to the new books

well I got that part but I have the 2010 kaplan book, The New Destroyer(s), The Crack PAT, and I stuck with the third edition of the AP BIO book because you did say it wasnt gonna change much in that book earlier Im doing Chads videos and starting 01/09/2012 taking the exam in February to March. You suggest taking the DATS right after completing studying, im not a good standardized test taker?

Thank you for taking the time out and helping me out! I will keep checking back and posting!

Members don't see this ad :)
This seems like a great study guide, and I plan on using it. Quick question though, did most of you study for the DAT with this program during the school year as you were taking classes, or while you were on a break like in the summer? I originally planned on studying for all of the upcoming Spring semester, probably doing the program in twice the time so I'd have less to do each day. That still seems like at least 3 hours of studying a day for four months, which I think would be tough to do on top of classes I'm already taking, studying for them, a 10 hour per week job, and getting shadowing/clinical hours in as well. As a result, I'm now leaning to following this guide in 8 weeks as suggested during the summer, probably for all of June and July so I can completely focus on the test instead of juggling it with all my other schoolwork and such, which I worry may cause me to slowly fall behind. Which way did most of you guys do it? I couldn't imagine doing the 8 week, 10 hours of studying a day on top of having other classes to study for and have any free time at all. Thanks for the guide by the way, seems like a lot of people have used it successfully and I plan to use it in one way or another

This seems like a great study guide, and I plan on using it. Quick question though, did most of you study for the DAT with this program during the school year as you were taking classes, or while you were on a break like in the summer? I originally planned on studying for all of the upcoming Spring semester, probably doing the program in twice the time so I'd have less to do each day. That still seems like at least 3 hours of studying a day for four months, which I think would be tough to do on top of classes I'm already taking, studying for them, a 10 hour per week job, and getting shadowing/clinical hours in as well. As a result, I'm now leaning to following this guide in 8 weeks as suggested during the summer, probably for all of June and July so I can completely focus on the test instead of juggling it with all my other schoolwork and such, which I worry may cause me to slowly fall behind. Which way did most of you guys do it? I couldn't imagine doing the 8 week, 10 hours of studying a day on top of having other classes to study for and have any free time at all. Thanks for the guide by the way, seems like a lot of people have used it successfully and I plan to use it in one way or another

I've been thinking the same thing recently. I was originally planning on making it 12 weeks with 6 weeks before my spring semester finals and 6 weeks after, but considering the amount of studying is like a part time job I can't imagine how I can do that during the semester. I will try to fit in study time but last semester at most I had the occasional hour here and there to study so I will probably end up studying when I can during the semester, doing nothing but studying for 6-8 weeks after the semester and then taking the test.

I think its physically impossible to do this schedule with anything else... you need to devote a good solid 8-10 weeks of doing nothing but DAT, no school, no partime work or school, nothing.

Has anyone used this study guide recently? Can I get away with using the listed books/study material and not buying the most updated ones?

Has anyone used this study guide recently? Can I get away with using the listed books/study material and not buying the most updated ones?

It was written less than 2 years ago, and last edited less than 6 months ago so I would imagine you're good to go.

I would recommend adding things like Topscore, Ace the DAT, and The DAT Decoder into your regimen. For me at least, seeing alot of questions and getting used to the question types and formatting was VERY helpful. These material will help with that

Where are chad's minitests mentioned in attachment provided by Dental Work? (8 week study-guide). Can't find it anywhere.. noob needs help!

edit: NM! =D

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I just came back to the forum and I am so happy that I came across this page and extremely grateful to Nights watchen for all the info established on the site.

Nice one guys, also trying to get into the mood of reading,so would be great if anyone did like to do group discussion to aid better understanding.

I await replies....

Thanks

Tbaba!

Hey all, I just took the DAT on 2/24 (used this study guide) and here were my scores:

QR: 19
RC: 19
PAT: 19
OC: 23
Bio: 21
GC: 20
TS: 21
AA: 20

Going into this, I did not know where to begin or how to even start studying for the DAT. Thats why I found this schedule to be really great! I studied for about 6 - 10 hours a day. I did have a lot of days where I was not efficient with my studying. Although, during my last three weeks of studying I really cranked up the volume.

Couple notes:

Cliffs: Great for the bio, can be a little bland. I also used KBBs bio section, but my favorite book to use was Kaplans MCAT bio review notes. This was such a great interactive read, combine this with Cliffs and you will be set!

Chads Videos: Used them for Orgo and GC, they were amazing! Make sure you do the problems at least once!

DAT/ Math Destroyer: Very thorough, I felt like I was over-prepared for math and orgo.

Crack Dat Pat: Great software except for one minor flaw. TFE does not cover situations where line counting wont work! I did not realize this that this could become a problem, until the night before my test! I was consistently hitting over 20 on my practice tests, so I was a little disappointed with my 19. But that is because I got about 10/15 questions on TFE where line counting would not work.

DAT Achiever: Gives you an idea of how it will be like to take the computerized test. I thought some of the questions were way too detailed compared to the actual test. The Reading Comprehension was way harder than what I actually got on my test.

Top Score: ehh it was alright.. probably could have done with out it.

I really wish I spent more time practicing RC. I did not take a practice until two nights prior to my test, so I know I could have gotten a higher score on that. All in all, I am really happy with my score and glad that you took the time to share your schedule with everyone. There were days where I did not follow the schedule exactly, and had to push things over on to the next day. I am just so glad this is all over with.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, I just took the DAT on 2/24 (used this study guide) and here were my scores:

QR: 19
RC: 19
PAT: 19
Bio: 21
GC: 20
TS: 21
AA: 20

Going into this, I did not know where to begin or how to even start studying for the DAT. Thats why I found this schedule to be really great! I studied for about 6 - 10 hours a day. I did have a lot of days where I was not efficient with my studying. Although, during my last three weeks of studying I really cranked up the volume.

Couple notes:

Cliffs: Great for the bio, can be a little bland. I also used KBBs bio section, but my favorite book to use was Kaplans MCAT bio review notes. This was such a great interactive read, combine this with Cliffs and you will be set!

Chads Videos: Used them for Orgo and GC, they were amazing! Make sure you do the problems at least once!

DAT/ Math Destroyer: Very thorough, I felt like I was over-prepared for math and orgo.

Crack Dat Pat: Great software except for one minor flaw. TFE does not cover situations where line counting wont work! I did not realize this that this could become a problem, until the night before my test! I was consistently hitting over 20 on my practice tests, so I was a little disappointed with my 19. But that is because I got about 10/15 questions on TFE where line counting would not work.

DAT Achiever: Gives you an idea of how it will be like to take the computerized test. I thought some of the questions were way too detailed compared to the actual test. The Reading Comprehension was way harder than what I actually got on my test.

Top Score: ehh it was alright.. probably could have done with out it.

I really wish I spent more time practicing RC. I did not take a practice until two nights prior to my test, so I know I could have gotten a higher score on that. All in all, I am really happy with my score and glad that you took the time to share your schedule with everyone. There were days where I did not follow the schedule exactly, and had to push things over on to the next day. I am just so glad this is all over with.

How many weeks did you stretch the study schedule out, or did you keep it at 8 weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the first 4 weeks, I did not study on Sundays and I had to skip a couple of days. I started studying on December 12th and finished up with everything on the schedule by February 8th. That gave me roughly 16 days to do everything else I needed to do. I went over some more destroyer problems and other things.

Can I use a 2009 edition dat and math destroyer instead of 2010?

You should be ok, but if possible you should definitely get the most up to date version (2012) as the extra questions will maximize your scoring potential for the DAT.

These books are definitely a must use!

I am going to start Dentalworks study plan in May and study for 7 weeks, dedicated solely to study. I had to alter it a little for some practice reading and a few practice tests. Does anyone have a guess how many hours of study a day like this would take? I read at an average pace and catch on/have fairly good memory.

Wednesday: Read Cliff’s AP biology chapter 2 (Cells). Read KBB’s Chapter 2 on Biology. Again, read these fast like a novel

Watch Chad’s GC videos (in HD) 2.1, and 2.2. Take necessary notes of formulas/important concepts. After each video, take the associated quiz.

Read Cliff’s AP biology chapter 2 again, and KBB’s chapter 2 on Biology. But like before, your going to read them a lot slower, taking notes and highlighting

great write up, will be following this and extending it to 10 weeks in case I need days off.

so far I have cliff's Bio, KBB, DAT MATH Destroyer, I still need to get my membership activated for chads videos and order crack the DAT.

My last final is Friday so I'm taking the weekend off then starting on Monday. Almost excited....but not really lol. I definitely need to find time to take 2 full length practice tests. That 2 day off period will be one time, hopefully I can fit in another..maybe right after the 8 weeks.

KBB book chapters question? when you say chapter 1, 2 ....... what you mean because in the KBB blue book there are no chapters there are only sections , like Biology 1 (The basic of life) biology 2 ( reproduction) and so on. But in a schedule you say read Cliff's chapter 1 and read KBB's chapter 1 ON BIOLOGY< GENERAL CHEM AND O CHEM? what is that mean? read the whole book in one day ???? sorry if im not getting this right please help

Where can I find DAT destroyer (2010) version ? Can I get DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer Combo Package ?

do you guys take notes when you read cliff AP bio and KBB or do you just thoroughly read it and hope you retain most of the info?

I've been taking meticulous notes on both AP bio and KBB...some may same it's useless but I'd rather go back and review that then have to flip through hundreds of pages.

do you guys take notes when you read cliff AP bio and KBB or do you just thoroughly read it and hope you retain most of the info?

For myself, I took a bunch of notes the first few weeks. But then I realized I was not being efficient with my time, because it would take hours to write down everything. I started actively reading to make sure I got it. And then took notes on concepts I did not understand.

so excited. about to start this program. going to be taking my DAT around july 20th. only one question. when should i apply to take the test and how long does it usually take for the application to go through to the testing center???

Amazing post!
i started out this schedule using Kaplan
but later switched to Chad

personally i want to recommend using Chad's video for studying DAT for the first time
at first i thought.. watching video? lol not gona work for me.
so i used kaplan but i just think kaplan is a waste of time..
Chad ftw!

Hi, I just started with the study schedule, thank you for making it available. I have a question though, I decided to follow the option with Chad's videos, and that also includes using the KBB. I had understood that it would be fine doing one or the other...since the other schedule option only has the KBB stuff. Am I wrong? should I study both the KBB and the chad's videos as it appears in the second option you posted? Thank you so much.

When it says "Do Chad's mini-test of Chapter 1 on GC" for example, does that just mean take each video's associated quiz? I don't see anything on *********** about chapter tests.

Also, when people watch the Chad's videos, if you take notes as you go along, were you constantly pausing the video to take notes, or just going along as he does, taking notes without pausing?

Hey is there a place we can get these books used? There has to be people out there selling these book.

Go on amazon to buy most of them used at a really good price. Destroyer needs to be bought on the for sale section on the main menu of this website.

Just need some clarification. At he beginning of this thread Dental Works posted his initial study plan using KBB and one using Chad's videos. Then a couple posts later he posted these study schedules on word files. I am following the Chad's video schedule. BUT I noticed that one has you doing KBB for QR whereas the other (in the word doc.) has you doing Chad's videos for QR. Which one should I follow? If up to the individual, is one any better than the other?

Just need some clarification. At he beginning of this thread Dental Works posted his initial study plan using KBB and one using Chad's videos. Then a couple posts later he posted these study schedules on word files. I am following the Chad's video schedule. BUT I noticed that one has you doing KBB for QR whereas the other (in the word doc.) has you doing Chad's videos for QR. Which one should I follow? If up to the individual, is one any better than the other?

Follow whats posted here...NOT THE WORD DOCUMENTS (those were the initial ones, I never updated them)

Follow whats posted here...NOT THE WORD DOCUMENTS (those were the initial ones, I never updated them)

I sure am glad I checked this thread today. Was getting ready to start this program in the last week of this month and planned to go by the word docs.

Okay,

thank you guys for bringing this to my attention, I went ahead and removed the word.documents from post #35 (as they were outdated)

the actual program is posted here in the first 9 postings.

All the best guys

So what have people's scores been?
I'm halfway through the schedule. Having to pay for the destoryer and crack the DAT now.

Also, I was one of the people who used the Cliff's Schedule fromt the word document. Are there any major changes in the last 4 weeks? I noticed in the first four weeks you added chad's QR videos, but I had the KBB book anyway so I still covered math. Did I miss anything? I scanned but didn't see anything glaring.

I'm halfway through the schedule. Having to pay for the destoryer and crack the DAT now.

Also, I was one of the people who used the Cliff's Schedule fromt the word document. Are there any major changes in the last 4 weeks? I noticed in the first four weeks you added chad's QR videos, but I had the KBB book anyway so I still covered math. Did I miss anything? I scanned but didn't see anything glaring.

I followed the whole study schedule and am taking the test tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it goes

I think you're good for the last 4 weeks.

If memory serves... there isn't much change in the last 4 weeks..... Actually, I don't think there is any change

Okay thanks. I don't have the money for the destroyer and crack the PAT so I'm just going to review now. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to help other students. That's really amazing and you didn't have to do that. I really appreciate it.

I hope it pays off. :)

One more question though.
When should I take practice tests? And where should I try to get them?
I want to take the DAT the first week or 2 of august before my senior year starts and I have 1 month lefts of your schedule so I'm on course even though I've been set back like 4 days because I don't have any cash at the moment.

I still have the practice DAT in the KBB and I think I can get another one online from them through purchasing the book.

Just finished a few hours ago.

PAT: 22
QR: 21
RC: 22
BIO: 24
GC: 29
TS: 25
AA:24

Definitely very happy with this. I was expecting lower on the sciences and much higher on the QR. I followed the sample study schedule almost exactly except I only went through the QR tests once instead of twice, and never timed. They seemed so easy to me I figured I didn't need too, and honestly was finishing late almost every day so I couldn't have fit it in anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished a few hours ago.

PAT: 22
QR: 21
RC: 22
BIO: 24
GC: 29
TS: 25
AA:24

Definitely very happy with this. I was expecting lower on the sciences and much higher on the QR. I followed the sample study schedule almost exactly except I only went through the QR tests once instead of twice, and never timed. They seemed so easy to me I figured I didn't need too, and honestly was finishing late almost every day so I couldn't have fit it in anyway.

Awesome work! Was there anything you'd add to the schedule or anything that definitely helped you? I want to get a high GC score like you haha. I'm not really confident in that subject once it gets into chem 2 territory with all the equations x__x

Awesome work! Was there anything you'd add to the schedule or anything that definitely helped you? I want to get a high GC score like you haha. I'm not really confident in that subject once it gets into chem 2 territory with all the equations x__x

I didn't think I was unusually good at GC until I did a few more practice tests and was surprised to be doing very well. I think destroyer is very good for that. The only thing I added to the schedule was "Exam Kracker Audio Osmosis". I started listening to that on my ipod in December or so and just constantly had it on when possible, probably went through it a good 6 times or so. Very happy to no longer need to hear their lame jokes incessantly :D

Kaplan book alone is inadequate.... I have never heard of anyone using ONLY the kaplan book and getting a respectable score

i know i'm quoting something from a long time ago, but i actually know many people who scored 22-26 on their DAT with just the kaplan class..

NOT saying I'm as smart as they are...!

I want to try to follow this schedule as I have roughly 8 weeks. I have Kaplan Books from 2005 (Review Notes thick book & thinner Lesson Book). I have the full Crack DAT software suite with at least 10 full practice exams (most of them more)

I also have the full Chad's video subscription for the next few months, which includes math, ochem, bio, gchem...

should I get Destroyer books at all? Is there any other practice I can get for the PAT section somewhere??

I can't say that I'm strong on any of the subjects, although when I took the actual DAT after haphazardly studying for it for a couple months I got a 22 or 23 on the Reading comp.. Sciences were really low - like 12-15 because I didn't do any reading...don't remember how I did on PAT and Math, but the score I got was 16 overall. I know for sure I can do better on PAT than I did last time....

anyway, how good of a measure is Crack DAT scores?

Also, how much can one improve his score would you say?

I feel like my biggest enemy for the tests in general is running out of time. Although, when I took the test many years ago, I think I remember having a little time left over... weird....

My friend who took the test a couple times (had to retake b/c score expired after 3 years) got 22 & 23 (24 on PAT at least one of those times...don't know the other).....He said on every section except for Reading, he had time enough to go back and look at each question twice..........! So he had time to take like 3x as many problems in the given time frame?! He also said he had never really timed himself for the reading section, so that's probably why he didn't have extra time...

any advice would be appreciated. good luck to you all :)

Last edited: