Salus Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdrizzleeee

Pre-Opt girl
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an interview with Salus this friday, can someone please tell me what they are like? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your interview! Do you mind sharing your OAT scores? Salus is my top choice and I'm scheduled to take my OAT in December because I don't feel prepared so I'm looking for a ball park range to aim for. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on your interview! Do you mind sharing your OAT scores? Salus is my top choice and I'm scheduled to take my OAT in December because I don't feel prepared so I'm looking for a ball park range to aim for. Thank you!
Hey, I had an interview at Salus and got accepted with a 330 TS/320 AA and GPA is a 3.7/ 3.6 science. Also I got accepted without completing my bachelors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm I'm the same position as you! Salus is my top choice and I am scheduled to take the OAT in the beginning of december. Do you mind sharing your GPA? I have a low GPA so I'm hoping for a high OAT to over compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes of course! My overall GPA is a 3.5 and science GPA is a 3.3 -definitely not the highest but I believe it's around the average for acceptances? I'm not a 100% sure. How have you been preparing for the OAT? I pushed it back super late because I just didn't feel prepared especially with the amount of material.

Yes of course! My overall GPA is a 3.5 and science GPA is a 3.3 -definitely not the highest but I believe it's around the average for acceptances? I'm not a 100% sure. How have you been preparing for the OAT? I pushed it back super late because I just didn't feel prepared especially with the amount of material.

I think you are in great standing as far as GPA goes!!! Those are pretty much the averages for acceptance across most Optometry schools.

I just started preparing for my OAT alongside my classes and it's pretty tough doing so but I think doable if you have a schedule laid out. I am going to study for a month, the first half doing mostly content review (Chad's videos + Crashcourse on YouTube), and then the second half I am going to focus on the OAT destroyer books which have hundreds of practice problems! I hope this will be sufficient enough considering my low GPA. Good luck on the OAT! We got this :)

Thank you, I really hope I get accepted! It really just depends on my score and you're right, it's hard working/doing class alongside studying for this big of an exam! When are you scheduled to take it?

Good luck to you as well, we can do this! :)

Thank you, I really hope I get accepted! It really just depends on my score and you're right, it's hard working/doing class alongside studying for this big of an exam! When are you scheduled to take it?

Good luck to you as well, we can do this! :)

I agree! I am taking it on December 6th :) and thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was also invited to interview at Salus but with a low GPA.

I interviewed and was accepeted at salus with a 3.2 overall gpa with a 350 OAT score. I had strong extracurriculars though.

I interviewed this week at PCO and got accepted without an OAT score however they said they will be sending me an official acceptance with terms and provisions. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Interview wasn't too stressful! It starts with an admissions counselor that takes you to a separate room. They ask basic questions like "why optometry" "what challenges are in optometry field" etc, but just be open and honest. I really liked this interview because I did not feel like they were judging me or jotting down notes as I chatted. They did ask about my OAT retake etc, but I explained why and they understood. Salus is really fast and you hear back in 1-2 weeks which is great because it lets you plan ahead. The rest of the interview day is a tour of the campus and the health clinic. Really great campus and welcoming community!

Interview wasn't too stressful! It starts with an admissions counselor that takes you to a separate room. They ask basic questions like "why optometry" "what challenges are in optometry field" etc, but just be open and honest. I really liked this interview because I did not feel like they were judging me or jotting down notes as I chatted. They did ask about my OAT retake etc, but I explained why and they understood. Salus is really fast and you hear back in 1-2 weeks which is great because it lets you plan ahead. The rest of the interview day is a tour of the campus and the health clinic. Really great campus and welcoming community!
I read somewhere that there is 2 interviews- 1 is a closed file and 1 is an open file. It was from a post fro 2013 so I'm not sure if it's still current.

What kind of questions should I prepare for?

I read somewhere that there is 2 interviews- 1 is a closed file and 1 is an open file. It was from a post fro 2013 so I'm not sure if it's still current.

I interviewed there about a month ago and it was just one relatively short interview that was open file. My interviewer mostly just skimmed over my file, said my pre-reqs were satisfied, asked how I studied for the OAT, and asked about one semester my freshman year where my grades were much lower than the rest. She was extremely friendly and encouraging and made it very conversational by adding onto to all of my responses and agreeing with what I had to say. Check out the SDN interview feedback page for Salus, people share specific questions they were asked and pretty much everything I was asked was on there. They really want to make you feel comfortable, there were no curveballs. Good luck!

I interviewed there about a month ago and it was just one relatively short interview that was open file. My interviewer mostly just skimmed over my file, said my pre-reqs were satisfied, asked how I studied for the OAT, and asked about one semester my freshman year where my grades were much lower than the rest. She was extremely friendly and encouraging and made it very conversational by adding onto to all of my responses and agreeing with what I had to say. Check out the SDN interview feedback page for Salus, people share specific questions they were asked and pretty much everything I was asked was on there. They really want to make you feel comfortable, there were no curveballs. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the detailed and helpful response!!! :)

Sorry for the late reply! Mine was open file and it was very casual. They asked basic questions like Why are you interested in optometry? What characteristics do you feel is important for an optometrist and basically explain how you can show you have these characteristics. They did ask about my low OAT score, but they did appreciate that I retook the exam and my score improved. Salus faculty were all really friendly, but my best advice is to be yourself and don't stress too much! Be honest and take your time. The interview felt more like a conversation and once I started talking about how I started getting into optometry in high school, etc. It just flowed from there. Feel free to ask my any more questions or PM me! Good luck!