Salaries in NYC and Salaries in TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with direct experience in either of those two areas willing to throw rough salary or hourly wage estimates out there? Anything a reasonable commute from NYC is fair game. Basically trying to see if my impression of the salary difference matches reality. Even better if you can do an academic vs highest pay available break down.

Members don't see this ad.

Hearing from friends, I can surmise that the difference is akin to living like a pauper with terrible resources and staff at work vs living like a king.

I wish I had an excuse to go to TX, or that my spouse was willing to relocate there.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a commuting job in Texas next year (I'm a graduating PGY-3). The pay is double to triple what I can get where I live (in the mid atlantic area).

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't tell you what NYC salaries are.
I don't know a single job in Texas that pays <$200/hr.

Couldn't tell you what NYC salaries are.
I don't know a single job in Texas that pays <$200/hr.

You want to Bet? I can show you a few that are fleecing poor new grads.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone with direct experience in either of those two areas willing to throw rough salary or hourly wage estimates out there? Anything a reasonable commute from NYC is fair game. Basically trying to see if my impression of the salary difference matches reality. Even better if you can do an academic vs highest pay available break down.

Just taking into account cost of living, I would think for an equivalent lifestyle NYC would have to pay me $500/hr. Seriously.

Not sure why anyone would want to live in New York, unless it was required for family.

- Very low salary in the city
- Terrible weather
- High cost of living
- Very high taxes
- High liability
- Difficult patient population (I have to see some of these people in Vegas during the Winter)

Reactions: 2 users
Might be in NYC for a few years for spouse's career. Debating working there va comutting to Texas (have some family I could spend time with and maybe stay with). No kids, spending a week away at a time would be fine.

I would travel to Texas for a week or so at a time then come back to NYC. Between the taxes, crappy salaries and unionized nurses your 7 days in Texas would probably pay you what 13-15 days of work in NY would, and be far less of a headache. I trained in NYC, grew up in NY, would never go back there to work unless there was some non-work circumstance that mandated it.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh come on, ny can't be that bad. I'm sure you can still find a pretty decent job an hour outside of the city

If you commute from NY, you will gross a TON more in TX with a far better malpractice environment. However, you will not escape NY state tax as you will be considered a dual state resident. NY will credit taxes paid to another state I believe, but as TX is 0%.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked around NYC a lot.

NYC stuff is like $135-200 /hr for academics (closer to the 160-180 range, but there were some low balls). There is very little non-academic in nyc, but it doesnt pay too much above 200.

Going out into the commutable area you are still talking about 180-210 as an average but with little pockets of places paying 275 an hour if they have a need. There really isnt anything between those two ranges though. Some places just randomly pay a kings ransom. And they ARE NOT bad hospitals. If anything, they are very desirable hospitals.... its just the nature of how the hudson valley and north jersey are rapidly consolidating into very few companies controlling all the medicine (of any field) in the area. It drives the prices up massively in the few bastions holding out against the consolidation. And generally these are the hospitals strong enough to compete with the massive groups/hospital conglomerates, not the rinky-dink ones that are being passed over.

but state taxes and cost of living is definitely a thing. Also NYC has an additional city tax if you either live in the 5 boroughs or collect money from them.

Compared to what?

You aren't going to come close to the malpractice climate, pay, and demand of Texas anywhere in New York.
I'm interviewing a ton of people that live in NYC, have family in NYC, have commutes in the 45 min to 1 hr range, and still are moving to TX.

Yeah no. I grew up in the NYC area. Fantastic city to visit, but I will never understand the appeal of living there. This is why I "strongly encouraged" my wife to not pursue fellowship there. Taking the subway to grocery shop? Never would I ever want to do that. I'm looking at apartment units in my next city that would be triple the cost in Manhattan.

worst malpractice environment in the usa. no thank you. 48k/yr.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I looked around NYC a lot.

NYC stuff is like $135-200 /hr for academics (closer to the 160-180 range, but there were some low balls). There is very little non-academic in nyc, but it doesnt pay too much above 200.

Going out into the commutable area you are still talking about 180-210 as an average but with little pockets of places paying 275 an hour if they have a need. There really isnt anything between those two ranges though. Some places just randomly pay a kings ransom. And they ARE NOT bad hospitals. If anything, they are very desirable hospitals.... its just the nature of how the hudson valley and north jersey are rapidly consolidating into very few companies controlling all the medicine (of any field) in the area. It drives the prices up massively in the few bastions holding out against the consolidation. And generally these are the hospitals strong enough to compete with the massive groups/hospital conglomerates, not the rinky-dink ones that are being passed over.

but state taxes and cost of living is definitely a thing. Also NYC has an additional city tax if you either live in the 5 boroughs or collect money from them.

I would argue that 200/hr is not terrible pay. But you're right I suppose you can't get away from the high cost of living

actually believe florida is the worst (especially for ED), but NY is defintely top 5, if not top 3.

Florida gets a "C" for med.mal on ACEP's last report card (I'm in FL now). There are many worse states.

The asset protection laws here, are rather strong.

I would argue that 200/hr is not terrible pay. But you're right I suppose you can't get away from the high cost of living

That's because you don't know what else is out there. Also, that 200 will drop precipitously when you factor in city and state income taxes. With the malpractice climate in NY, are you willing to work for essentially 130-150/hr for the "privilege" of living in the city?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Florida gets a "C" for med.mal on ACEP's last report card (I'm in FL now). There are many worse states.

The asset protection laws here, are rather strong.

Could a sworn I just saw acep listing it as worst in the country. Obviously either my data is outdated or im.confusing it with some none EM specific groups opinion. My apologies.

Oh come on, ny can't be that bad. I'm sure you can still find a pretty decent job an hour outside of the city

You ever been to New York? Try commuting in and out of the city every day. Add 3 hours per day of unpaid "work" to your life, and be sure you like the inside of your car. Prob start xarelto for dvt ppx as well.

You ever been to New York? Try commuting in and out of the city every day. Add 3 hours per day of unpaid "work" to your life, and be sure you like the inside of your car. Prob start xarelto for dvt ppx as well.
I do love when premeds come on the Resident/Attending forums and tell us how wrong we are about salary/workload/job opportunities/etc. Love it.

Reactions: 3 users
I also never understood doctors living in new york or similar towns. If you are an I-banker making 2-3 mill a year I would understand because those jobs don't exist elsewhere. But doctors making less with 2-3x the living expenses and 2x the traffic is pretty crazy.

I also never understood doctors living in new york or similar towns. If you are an I-banker making 2-3 mill a year I would understand because those jobs don't exist elsewhere. But doctors making less with 2-3x the living expenses and 2x the traffic is pretty crazy.

It's usually always because of a spouse or other commitment

When you've worked so hard to get to this point it basically takes the threat of losing your family to actually acquiesce to living in a big city

I'm currently looking at Texas and Nevada

Texas has great tort reform, lots of jobs, and if you dont mind living outside the city a bit >$300/Hr is pretty common. Of course you start going into the free standing business and its ridiculous.

I can confirm, as a New York city resident, that with the opportunities in New York versus Texas, I would jump to Texas instantly had I not had a lot of family and friends in New York.

I am sort of curious, is there anyway I would be able to work in Texas and still travel back to New York to spend time with my loved ones? I wonder if that is more practical and productive and will make me happier than working in a busy New York emergency department for much less money...

I can confirm, as a New York city resident, that with the opportunities in New York versus Texas, I would jump to Texas instantly had I not had a lot of family and friends in New York.

I am sort of curious, is there anyway I would be able to work in Texas and still travel back to New York to spend time with my loved ones? I wonder if that is more practical and productive and will make me happier than working in a busy New York emergency department for much less money...

Absolutely...as long as you're willing to be away from your family a few days/weeks at a time doing locums work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users

Absolutely and with the free standing ERs in Texas you could do it very well and make plenty of money. Or saddle up with a locums group.

Everyone is different and a lot depends on yourself and your family. I'd rather make less money and see my family more, (but I only work 9s and I am in Texas) than make more money, but have to be gone for at least 1 week a month = 3 full months out of the year I don't see my family.

It would not be hard to do if you wanted to, but I would be surprised if you like doing it after a while. There is a point you will reach in which you have to ask yourself, is the extra money really worth being gone from my family and missing out on what's really important in life. When you are on your death bed and looking back are you really happy you missed out for that extra cash? Everyone's # will be different.

I used to pick up random 12 hour shifts for $5,000 each time, but it reached a point in which I'd rather be home and hang with the kids and wife than working in a ****ty ER in BFE where everyone is super sick and you have no backup and poor nursing. Of course I have young kids and this might be all different if I was older.

Just my 2 cents

Absolutely and with the free standing ERs in Texas you could do it very well and make plenty of money. Or saddle up with a locums group.

You can't really make money with free-standing unless you are one of the original investors in the company. Subsequent partners who have to "buy in" and grunt docs working shifts don't generally make very much.

You can't really make money with free-standing unless you are one of the original investors in the company. Subsequent partners who have to "buy in" and grunt docs working shifts don't generally make very much.
As much anyway. The problem is now that First Choice takes CMS, those places are overrun with patients and you're still getting paid <$200/hr. In the last 3 months the open shifts have logarithmic growth.
But yeah, initial partners make big bucks, second order partners make decent bucks (think locums money), and then day laborers make average money. At least, at some of them.

Actually, you can make quiet a bit of money as a "buy in" investor. We have doctors that buy into our free standings and make 20%-40% on their money annually and some come in as just investors some come in with sweat equity.
Not for First Choice you don't. Unless you're hiding that route from the people that work there.