General Admissions & OTCAS Safety schools for occupational therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorOT 12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. My top schools include FGCU and UF. However, I am unsure of which schools to apply for my safety schools. From my understanding, it is incredibly hard to get accepted into an out-state public school because they put a preference over in-state students. Therefore, my options are limited when it comes to schools that aren't incredibly expensive, as well as easy to get into. So, my question is: Are there any OT schools in the U.S. that are cheap AND easy to get into? It's been hard for me to find data online about this topic. Is there a website that I should be looking at?

I will include my stats:
GPA: 3.72
Upper Division GPA: 3.87
Pre-req GPA: 3.5 (I received a B- in stats)
Extracurriculars: Undergraduate research on Veterans with disabilities, Undergraduate research with an OT, numerous volunteering/shadowing activities
GRE: Taking soon

Members don't see this ad.

When it comes to OT schools no school really is a safety school. Schools look at applicants very differently. I got accepted and invited to interviews for all different tiers of schools and then flat out rejected by some that are "lower ranked". My advice to to apply to the schools that seem like a good fit for you price/professors/location.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with @gosot. I applied to both out-of-state and in-state schools in all different tiers and the funny thing is I got rejected by all the in-state schools and got into all the out-of-state schools. My acceptances ranged from highly esteemed OTD programs to "lower ranked" MSOT programs. Applying to schools that don't just look at stats was the way for me to go because I had so much experience to offer. I didn't just want to be a stats numbers and applied to schools that only did interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree with @gosot in regards to there is no real "safety" OT school. All programs are competitive and applicants choose to apply to them for many varying reasons. This isn't like undergrad where you apply to a school just because you can and use it as a safety net. This is graduate school; it is competitive, challenging and if it were easy, I don't believe it would have much value. I agree with @gosot's advice - apply to schools because you see yourself in their program, you like the sound of the curriculum, structure, and pace. Do your research and compare cost, location, requirements and apply to the programs that seem to be the best fit for you. Different admissions departments look at applicants in a lot of different ways, so it is hard to tell which school will accept you over another. Just focus on submitting your best application and you will find the right program for you. Best of luck.

Hey guys. My top schools include FGCU and UF. However, I am unsure of which schools to apply for my safety schools. From my understanding, it is incredibly hard to get accepted into an out-state public school because they put a preference over in-state students. Therefore, my options are limited when it comes to schools that aren't incredibly expensive, as well as easy to get into. So, my question is: Are there any OT schools in the U.S. that are cheap AND easy to get into? It's been hard for me to find data online about this topic. Is there a website that I should be looking at?

I will include my stats:
GPA: 3.72
Upper Division GPA: 3.87
Pre-req GPA: 3.5 (I received a B- in stats)
Extracurriculars: Undergraduate research on Veterans with disabilities, Undergraduate research with an OT, numerous volunteering/shadowing activities
GRE: Taking soon

Just letting you know UF is going to a doctorate program and are not taking any applications this year unless your a UF undergrad

Just letting you know UF is going to a doctorate program and are not taking any applications this i year unless your a UF undergrad

I am a UF student but thanks for looking out for me :)