RVUCOM MSBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.rvu.edu/academics/msbs/

Applications should be opening up today. Are there any students from the program on here? I'll update it more when the application is live.

My main question would be if it's possible to get in without a letter from a DO/MD? I shadowed a DO and they said they'd write a letter (enthusiastically), but they never did despite multiple attempts to contact them. :/ I have a letter from a professor and supervisor so far, but that's it.

EDIT: It's open!!

ESSAYS:

Please explain your career goals and how you anticipate RVU’s MSBS Program will help you achieve your goals.

How did you originally hear of RVU? Explain why you will be a good fit for our university and for the MSBS program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you know what MCAT score they want for the msbs program? And, if they accept OOS students? Thanks!

It'll be hard to get info on the mcat as last years class wasn't that big and it was their first year. You might try summoning someone from last years tgread if you can dig deep enough.

In regard to the out of state, they're for profit but probably favor Colorado students as I saw them getting accepted in the other thread. It's probably likely people didn't know about the program except those from Colorado too so there could be some selection bias. You're probably safe to apply out of state.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
don't do this program---seriously.

the school doesn't care about this program and screwed over half of their inaugural class. its not as strong of a linkage as you think.

Last edited:
I saw that someone posted a long, negative review in the other thread but then took it down that same day. Saw in the other thread that more negative posts surfaced after that. Seems like there is much discontent (like the mini post above) with the program so be careful guys before you commit to it and do your due diligence. No affiliations with RVU, but just pointing out what I saw.

don't do this program---seriously.

the school doesn't care about this program and screwed over half of their inaugural class. its not as strong of a linkage as you think.

Can you elaborate on what happened? How many people actually got in through the program out of the total accepted?

As another MSBS student, I would really like to inform those who are interested in applying, or have already applied to RVU MSBS program for this year. I am doing so, because I wish that someone could have informed me about what I was entering myself into. Unfortunately, this program has been the WORST experience I have ever had. I am extremely disappointed, in that everything that was ever told to the 15 students of the inaugural class, was a LIE. Worse than a business tactic, and far from less than beneficial in preparing students for any professional program, or even a job! I wouldn't be surprised if we found out the masters wasn't even legitimate at this point.
They told us all that they had spot for all 15 of us, with NO MINIMUM. Upon arrival (from out of state), I was informed that this program has all block testing (all 5 subjects on one 3.5 hour exam, with a months worth of material from each subject) and that "if you do well" you would get in. Even after investigating what "well" was, we were told "just do your best, there's no minimum." Come to find out, after a 46% acceptance rate, and 6 months of being lead on that I would get in, they had intentions of only letting in 7 people the only WHOLE TIME! Even the director of admissions wants to let more people in (probably because a 46% acceptance rate bodes well for no one), but the "director" is the only one that can recommend us. Well let me tell you about him; He has quite a dirty past. Obviously (or hopefully) this school hasn't done a background check on this guy! He's not even qualified to be the director, nor is he qualified to freely walk the streets! Not sure who, or how this guy was left in charge, but it is CLEAR that this program was thrown together either with pure neglect, or by money hungry greed.

Regardless, we all took out $50,000 loans, and entered an unknown death race. The faculty and staff have shown ZERO concern for our situations, and the director of admissions is offering seats for their new money sucking campus in Utah for those who entered this program with the minimums (500 MCAT, 3.0 GPA). All while telling us NOT to study for the MCAT all year long! Meaning, if you came to do this preparatory program to become more prepared for medical school, you should have came already prepared (intuitive right?). Even if you were bring up that tail end of the GPA's during the year of this program, as long as you have those minimums you still have a chance. They literally aren't prepared for anything until it slaps them in the face, and unfortunately it slaps us at the same time. Every professor has lied to us, and its just a sport to the "director" to lie to us at this point. Even the director of admissions says the "director" is still willing to recommend students at the end of the program, while the director says he's absolutely not willing. Everything is just a mess, and I wouldn't wish this program on my worst enemy...

They have had no preparation for this program, and charge over $350 a class period, in which they hired an old RVU student (a drop out) to teach our anatomy lectures. Not only not qualified, (see the themes here?) but it is also unacknowledged by any other faculty or staff member that she is teaching the class. At this point, the accreditation has been beyond breached, and I would not be surprised if my next post entailed all of us walking away with no masters and a refund. Bear in mind, they want to accept up to 50 people in next year's MSBS class, AND start a PA program. I wish anyone willing to take this on the best of luck, and to do that acceptance math for 50 people. Unless you plan on coming here with scores or skills of being able to get in the traditional way, then please save yourself the stress, money, time and god awful experience and rock the MACT and apply regularly instead.

Hello All! I'm a little worried since I applied literally in February and I'm pre-optometry. I did receive an e-mail a few weeks ago that my application was up for review...I still did not hear anything back. I did e-mail and ask Julie to see if it was possible to obtain an update. She said my application was still under review...I'm wondering if there are any other pre-optometry folks who applied or if anyone knows? Also generally speaking for the current MSMSer's how do they match you to research?

I'm member of the first RVU COM MSBS program, I don't think there is a MCAT minimum but I would double check with Julie in admissions (the lowest MCAT score in our class was a 494ish). I would highly suggest a letter from a physician (I did not have one from a DO, but MD's and I got in). They will be looking to ensure that you have experience working with patients and no what you are getting into with medicine (there were a few classmates lacking that, so I think it will be on the radar for the following classes).

Please see my previous post about the MSBS program.

Rocky Vista College of Osteopathic Medicine Masters Program

I would recommend that you look at other post-bacc programs. This program is completely tailored for pre-medical, i.e. it is extremely difficult, and advanced. The curriculum is being built around preparing the students for medical school. That is something to consider if you need to get a great GPA to help your application to Optometry Schools...the average GPA for my class is currently a 3.4 ish.

Wow. This thread is nuts! How can a school get away with doing this to students. Is this all really true?! Are any of the current students willing to chat? I really wanted to apply here, but after hearing this, idk if I want to even apply to the COM. Do they really not care about their students? Clearly there are some internal issues there!

I would recommend that you look at other post-bacc programs. This program is completely tailored for pre-medical, i.e. it is extremely difficult, and advanced. The curriculum is being built around preparing the students for medical school. That is something to consider if you need to get a great GPA to help your application to Optometry Schools...the average GPA for my class is currently a 3.4 ish.

Dr. Bossy - the average GPA was a 3.4 with a 50% acceptance rate? I thought there was no minimum?

Wow. This thread is nuts! How can a school get away with doing this to students. Is this all really true?! Are any of the current students willing to chat? I really wanted to apply here, but after hearing this, idk if I want to even apply to the COM. Do they really not care about their students? Clearly there are some internal issues there!

The med school is highly regarded. It's the post bacc that is having issues.

The med school is highly regarded. It's the post bacc that is having issues.

Good to know that the COM functions efficiently. However, the school does not have a post bacc program. So I think you might have proved their point that this MSBS is quite neglected.

Good to know that the COM functions efficiently. However, the school does not have a post bacc program. So I think you might have proved their point that this MSBS is quite neglected.

I'm not a student of RVU. I called it a post bacc because you take it past your bachelors and another program I've been more interested in calls it that. I'm completely aware it's an "MSBS". Whatever you call it, it is in fact neglected.

Applied with 500 mcat, 3.2 cgpa and 3.1 sgpa--- received rejection today.

Hello I was thinking about applying for this program for this fall and was wondering if any of the accepted people on here wouldn't mind sharing their GPA, GRE, MCAT scores to see where I would rank and if it would be worth applying for.

Hello I was thinking about applying for this program for this fall and was wondering if any of the accepted people on here wouldn't mind sharing their GPA, GRE, MCAT scores to see where I would rank and if it would be worth applying for.

Did you read this thread?