Rutgers or Stevens for pre-med?

D

deleted843491

Both are the same price. I am a senior in high school right now, deciding between the two. I was going to major in Chemical Biology for either school. However, is it better to go to a school that has a medical school affiliated with it despite the fact that there are a lot of students or a much smaller school that doesn't really have anything besides engineering? At least at Stevens, there is a chance that I can become closer with professors to get good recommendation letters but I don't think there is much to do there to help wth medical school admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are the same price. I am a senior in high school right now, deciding between the two. I was going to major in Chemical Biology for either school. However, is it better to go to a school that has a medical school affiliated with it despite the fact that there are a lot of students or a much smaller school that doesn't really have anything besides engineering? At least at Stevens, there is a chance that I can become closer with professors to get good recommendation letters but I don't think there is much to do there to help wth dental school admissions.
Use the search bar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a pretty large school. Student population > 30,0000 (just undergrad). I was able to get pretty close to most of the professors who gave me LORs. Getting close with your professors is more dependent on how proactive you are versus how big class sizes are. Professors recognize students who make an active effort to seek their help. That being said, you should pick a school that suits your interests. If you prefer the big school environment, go Rutgers. If you like small class sizes, go Stevens. Personally I would go with Rutgers, but that's only because I am somewhat familiar with the school.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to a pretty large school. Student population > 30,0000 (just undergrad). I was able to get pretty close to most of the professors who gave me LORs. Getting close with your professors is more dependent on how proactive you are versus how big class sizes are. Professors recognize students who make an active effort to seek their help. That being said, you should pick a school that suits your interests. If you prefer the big school environment, go Rutgers. If you like small class sizes, go Stevens. Personally I would go with Rutgers, but that's only because I am somewhat familiar with the school.

Would going to Rutgers help my chances getting into a medical school since bigger school, more opportunities? Or it doesn't really matter and it's what you make of your 4 years?

I think it would be beneficial to go to Rutgers because they have an affiliated medical school, ergo the kinds of opportunities that you are looking to attain would be more accessible.
Also, I heard Rutgers knows how to party :banana:.

However, I want to reiterate that I don't know much about Stevens College, so I really can't compare the two.

Both are the same price. I am a senior in high school right now, deciding between the two. I was going to major in Chemical Biology for either school. However, is it better to go to a school that has a medical school affiliated with it despite the fact that there are a lot of students or a much smaller school that doesn't really have anything besides engineering? At least at Stevens, there is a chance that I can become closer with professors to get good recommendation letters but I don't think there is much to do there to help wth medical school admissions.

hi jimin123, im dealing with the same situation right now for pre-med except im majoring in computer science. So i was wondering, what did you end up deciding?