Rutgers GSBS MBS Newark 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there are any mandatory move-in dates for any of the on-campus housing options?

August 7th. You can request earlier for some I believe

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering because I'm out of state and would prefer to move in as late as possible. I got accepted a week ago so I've been scrambling ever since to get everything situated. Thank you!

I was just wondering because I'm out of state and would prefer to move in as late as possible. I got accepted a week ago so I've been scrambling ever since to get everything situated. Thank you!

You may be able to, but orientation is this coming Monday, so they may have an issue with that unless you can get there

Members don't see this ad :)
KB -- I think you're right about Talbott. I wasn't on any waitlist until I called the housing office. Same goes for my roomies from the sound of it.

Has anyone heard back from academic advisors yet?

Any current/past students know about the pre-dental advising provided? Are we just limited to a consultation with RSDM admissions?
Are there any mock interviews, any pre-health committee (for a composite letter), etc., or are we on our own?

You may be able to, but orientation is this coming Monday, so they may have an issue with that unless you can get there

Yeah I'm not too far away - only a 4 hour drive. I already have a hotel booked for orientation, but I would prefer not to be forced to move in by a certain date. Thanks again for the response!

They placed all they could fit in 180 W Market and put overflow into Talbott. According to the housing office and some emails, "waitlisted" students were placed in Talbott. But that's incorrect because many students who were never waitlisted are there as well. They are working on cancellations for rooms and we should know for sure by the end of the week

Does that mean students who don't hear back from housing and are currently assigned to Talbott will remain there for the rest of the school year?

Hi Guys Im currently looking for housing options. I want to live on 180 West market street but after calling residence life today they told me it was full and students were being assigned housing in Talbott. The last thing I want is to live near noisy undergrads. Im looking for a roommate for housing in society hill or university centre. Also have you guys heard about the new 24 Jones street apartments. They look really nice! I just need to get rental info from them.

Has any medical track student called for advising purposes and somewhat figured out a tentative fall class schedule? I didn't get a hold of anyone and I just want to know what the suggestions are for incoming students (outside of the pending medical classes that no one knows about yet). I'm familiar with Fund A being a popular first semester course but I haven't really figured out much else that I should be taking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how to set up the email? I thought scarlet mail was the only one but apparently the email must have gsbs in its domain. Does anyone know how to do this??

Does anyone know how to set up the email? I thought scarlet mail was the only one but apparently the email must have gsbs in its domain. Does anyone know how to do this??

In your acceptance email, there should be an attachment to activate your NetID. Follow the link to the page and on the left hand side it should say "manage email addresses". This is where it will show all your Rutgers affiliated emails. If your @gsbs.rutgers email isn't listed down at the bottom, follow the instructions to set up your personalized Rutgers email at the top and then it will automatically create a @gsbs email for you. I hope this makes sense.

In your acceptance email, there should be an attachment to activate your NetID. Follow the link to the page and on the left hand side it should say "manage email addresses". This is where it will show all your Rutgers affiliated emails. If your @gsbs.rutgers email isn't listed down at the bottom, follow the instructions to set up your personalized Rutgers email at the top and then it will automatically create a @gsbs email for you. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you, looks like I already set it up. And how do I access the actual mailbox?

Thank you, looks like I already set it up. And how do I access the actual mailbox?

I asked when I was on the phone with the office and the lady swears that we access it through the myrutgers portal but when I log on there, it only shows Scarlet Mail on mine so she told me to contact IST and have them figure it out and explain it to me -_-

Last edited:

I still haven't figured that out yet, but I'm about to call the office so I'll ask them about it and let you know.

I asked when I was on the phone with the office and the lady swears that we access it through the myrutgers portal but when I log on there, it only shows Scarlet Mail on mine so she told me to contact IST and have them figure it out and explain it to me -_-

Go to my.rutgers.edu and sign in. Once you're logged in the right side of the page should have a column with "RBHS Email" and "Email Services" at the top. Click the blue text that says "Sun" (it's the leftmost), and it'll take you to your GSBS e-mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to my.rutgers.edu and sign in. Once you're logged in the right side of the page should have a column with "RBHS Email" and "Email Services" at the top. Click the blue text that says "Sun" (it's the leftmost), and it'll take you to your GSBS e-mail.

It's trying to make me log in and i only know the regular login and that's not working

Do I need to call the advisor to get advices/make an appointment for fall schedule? I sent an email last monday and still didn't hear back from the professor :(

I used my netid login info but it's still not working and I know the info is correct
That's weird, mine works for me. :( Just to confirm, you found the page at https://mail.rbhs.rutgers.edu, right? If your NetID doesn't work for that, I'm not sure what to suggest unless you contact the IT department, maybe there's some error in the system and they can help.

Do I need to call the advisor to get advices/make an appointment for fall schedule? I sent an email last monday and still didn't hear back from the professor :(
I e-mailed someone around the same time you did and didn't get a response yet, either. I e-mailed two other people today.

That's weird, mine works for me. :( Just to confirm, you found the page at https://mail.rbhs.rutgers.edu, right? If your NetID doesn't work for that, I'm not sure what to suggest unless you contact the IT department, maybe there's some error in the system and they can help.

I e-mailed someone around the same time you did and didn't get a response yet, either. I e-mailed two other people today.

I did email advising with Dr. Lutz. She got back to me within the same hour

I did email advising with Dr. Lutz. She got back to me within the same hour

Lucky! I'm in the dental program so I don't know if she'll be available, but maybe I'll try e-mailing her if I don't hear back from the others within a day or two.

I called housing earlier today; they told me they reserved two floors of Talbott for graduate students only, matched by program. I didn't get any info on when cancellations are being processed, though, or waitlist progress.

I called housing earlier today; they told me they reserved two floors of Talbott for graduate students only, matched by program. I didn't get any info on when cancellations are being processed, though, or waitlist progress.
I was placed in Talbott too. How different is it from Market St?

I was placed in Talbott too. How different is it from Market St?
Talbott is cheaper, with academic-year contracts only, and has 24/7 quiet hours. Single-bedroom apartments are all 4-person; bedrooms in 4-person apartments are ~155 sq feet. It's an undergrad dorm so I was concerned about noise levels, but there are the 24/7 quiet hours and undergrads have to be 21yo or older to live there. Thankfully we're still separated from the undergrads by floor and grouped by program, so we'll still be able to walk to&from classes in groups. It's carpeted (bad for people with dust/asthma issues like me). The beds are the long, skinny ones from undergrad, and rooms are . It's about 20-25 min walk time to classes through the NJIT campus, according to Mapquest. Maybe a bit under 15 min if you walk quickly and cut across.
The facebook page is here; they have a floor plan: https://www.facebook.com/RutgersNewarkHousing/photos/?tab=album&album_id=214898675577

180 W. Market is more expensive, and also allows for calendar year contracts. There are no quiet hours as far as I know, but I doubt this building would need them. Apartments are 3 people at most, but I haven't been able to find or get room size details. I'm not sure if we're separated by program. The site says there are also some undergrads living here, mostly in the studios. The beds are full (normal size), and some apartments have a mini dining area with the kitchen. I'm not sure about carpeting. It's about 5-10 min to classes, maybe another minute or two.

I used my netid login info but it's still not working and I know the info is correct
Change your password and try accessing it again. If that doesn't work, you'll have to call IT.

Does anyone know if on campus housing is full yet? I activated my net-id and have to wait for access to the application.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

Did anyone else get an e-mail from Ms. Ibraheim today? Mine says I'm still assigned to Talbott; it sounds like they finished processing the cancellations.

Did anyone else get an e-mail from Ms. Ibraheim today? Mine says I'm still assigned to Talbott; it sounds like they finished processing the cancellations.
I think they're still processing housing cancellations and openings (I believe they're doing that until this weekend) - I think the email is just asking for when you're looking to move in (which might be this weekend before orientation).

Are you positive that's the move in date for on campus? Seems pretty early, if classes are starting the 6th(I think). I booked a hotel for orientation.

Are you positive that's the move in date for on campus? Seems pretty early, if classes are starting the 6th(I think). I booked a hotel for orientation.

That's what it was for west market as stated in the email. Now it may be changing. Move in is supposed to be before orientation especially for those very for out of state

Has anyone received any word on being accepted into the dental or medical courses (Dental Biochemistry or Medical Biochemistry & Genetics)? It's a bit difficult to prepare a course schedule with something like that up in the air, especially since the email we received did say "Please do not contact us asking for permission". I suppose there is no harm in having a few tentative schedules planned for whatever outcome, though any information would be helpful!
Hey! So I reached out to the dental adviser who they have mentioned Dr. T on the registration but he also hasn't replied back to me =/ seems weird cause yeah, we have to plan our schedules... but I guess we will perhaps receive more information while we are down there? It's all so difficult to do while not being in front of their faces haha. Phones and emails are always so annoying. Let's hope for the best! *fingers crossed*

That's what it was for west market as stated in the email. Now it may be changing. Move in is supposed to be before orientation especially for those very for out of state

Oh no... You have a point, it's the undergrad dorm, so I guess move-in isn't normally until the end of August. I really hope they don't ask us to move in later or kick us out pre-orientation :( what a mess. And I hope they're still processing those cancellations

Hey! So I reached out to the dental adviser who they have mentioned Dr. T on the registration but he also hasn't replied back to me =/ seems weird cause yeah, we have to plan our schedules... but I guess we will perhaps receive more information while we are down there? It's all so difficult to do while not being in front of their faces haha. Phones and emails are always so annoying. Let's hope for the best! *fingers crossed*
Did you email a while ago? I'd also e-mail one of the other dental advisors, they seem to respond pretty quickly.

I just emailed the other two dental advisors and they replied real fast! Dr. K wants to talk on the phone while Dr. C prefers email (I guess). I still want to talk with Dr. T about the dental courses but he still won't reply back :(

I talked to a person in reslife. She said Talbott is Sept 3rd move in and Market St is the 7th.

I talked to a person in reslife. She said Talbott is Sept 3rd move in and Market St is the 7th.

Do you know if this means that those of us who planned to move in Aug 7th won't have a place to stay on campus for orientation? And/or if they'll tell us to find hotels if we're planning to register for the classes that start mid-late August?

Do you know if this means that those of us who planned to move in Aug 7th won't have a place to stay on campus for orientation? And/or if they'll tell us to find hotels if we're planning to register for the classes that start mid-late August?
Good question haha. I did talk to another person yesterday, and they said something about more than one move in day. I don't even know, too many different answers.

Anyone that can't do a hotel, reslife will put you in temporary housing until your room is ready for Talbott. Just got off the phone with them

Hey guys,

So I got the emails about orientation check list, exam soft, etc. However, I don't know if I'm just skipping over it somewhere in the emails, does anyone know where exactly it says the time we are suppose to report for orientation and where, itinerary, etc?

I got the email about the new email domain (rutgers connect O365), but I don't think it's set up yet, and my Sun email hasn't received any emails about orientation.
And it says on the checklist that the orientation packets have been distributed via email, but which email?
Please help! Thank you.

Has anyone been asked to provide proof of citizenship in person? I find it odd considering I submitted my social security number and i was previously a student at Rutgers university. I can't access my award.

Has anyone been asked to provide proof of citizenship in person? I find it odd considering I submitted my social security number and i was previously a student at Rutgers university. I can't access my award.

Yeah it was super weird, but they said they needed them for financial aid so I ended up sending them copy of the citizenship certificate and passport just to be sure

Hey guys so this might be a bit late but is anyone still looking to fill rooms for off campus housing? After orientation I realized it wouldnt be worth it to commute, so if anyone still has rooms available please PM me. Also if anyone would know of places to look other than craigslist, your insight would be greatly appreciated.

any ideas on average gpa / mcat scores? I have a 3.08 and a 496 mcat score. I'm going to be submitting my application for the spring for both campuses tomorrow for spring admission.

I would like to know about gpa and MCAT too.

I'm applying to Newark but would like to apply to the other campus too. Did you have to complete two separate applications?

Last edited:
I believe you do have to complete 2 separate applications. It says so on the FAQ for the piscataway one.

For anyone considering applying to this school listen up. I got admitted to the spring class, and I didn't have the best grades.
2.8 overall and 2.9 science. A few f's in non bio classes. A few withdrawls. 3 classes I retook. 1 D.
I was an emt, had another professional license and interned for a physician for a year.

Gre score 158/162 verbal// quantitative, 5 on essay.

Got accepted a week after I submitted. Most of these posts say you need a certain gpa you dont. They need people who did bad academically, it's how they make money and it's also your second chance opportunity. Second if you have good ec's, and can write a kick ass personal statement, you should be fine. As bad as you need a second chance they also want to give you one. You just have to prove it.

Last edited:
For anyone considering applying to this school listen up. I got admitted to the spring class, and I didn't have the best grades.
2.8 overall and 2.9 science. A few f's in non bio classes. a few withdrawls. 3 classes I retook. 1 D.
I was an emt, had another professional license and interned for a physician for a year.

Gre score 158/162 verbal// quantitative, 5 on essay.

Got accepted a week after I submitted. Most of these posts say you need a certain gpa you dont. They need people who did bad academically, it's how they make money. Second if you have good ec's, and can write a kicK ass personal statement, you should be fine.

what's the linkage rate for med schools?