Rutgers GSBS MBS Newark 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In terms of graduate housing, I believe most GSBS students either live in 180 Market or 15 Washington. (15 Washington is the newer university affiliated graduate apartment)

As a GSBS student and resident of 15 Washington I can attest to this. However, 15 Washington is both for graduates and undergraduates and is affiliated with Rutgers Newark and not Rutgers GSBS. Only 180 is affiliated with NJMS, GSBS, and Rutgers Dental. They will explain more thoroughly at orientation, but techinically Rutgers GSBS (Newark division) is associated with Rutgers New Brunswick and NOT Rutgers Newark.

PS- the two most common OFF-campus housing options are University Center and Society Hill.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone figure out when classes start?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Apparently they'll be releasing the finalized 2016 Fall schedule next month! You should get an e-mail about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys!
Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I am a second year gsbs student at Newark campus. I am looking for a female roommate for a two bdr townhouse in society hill. It is less than 4 minute walk to Rutgers Grad Campus. Society hill has 24/7 patrolling security which is really great in Newark!
The apt is a duplex with a full laundry,dishwasher, 2.5 baths (you'll have a full bath right by your room to yourself), a balcony, fireplace, and driveway. PM me for more info if you're interested.
Hello! Can you tell us a little bit about how the class break up is like time-wise? How many days a week do you generally have class as a full time student? Also, is there MCAT bootcamp for medical scholars? Is it free? (most things aren't but can't hurt to ask)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Can you tell us a little bit about how the class break up is like time-wise? How many days a week do you generally have class as a full time student? Also, is there MCAT bootcamp for medical scholars? Is it free? (most things aren't but can't hurt to ask)

They've quietly discontinued the MCAT bootcamp. It wasn't available this year.

It all depends on how many credits you take. You can take up to 15 but only a few people actually do (graduate school credits are more intense than undergrad so don't try to compare like I did initially).

My first semester I took 12 credits and my classes were generally once a week for 3 hours. Check out the schedules from last fall and this spring. The spring semester is a lot wonkier.

Fall 2015
http://njms.rutgers.edu/gsbs/current_students/docs/2015/Fall2015Masters.pdf

Sprint 2016
http://njms.rutgers.edu/gsbs/current_students/docs/2015/Spring2016Master.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all!
Does anyone know how the email system works for gsbs? I was only able to access the @scarletmail.rutgers.edu one and wasn't sure if I'm supposed to receive emails through @gsbs.rutgers.edu one.

Hi all!
Does anyone know how the email system works for gsbs? I was only able to access the @scarletmail.rutgers.edu one and wasn't sure if I'm supposed to receive emails through @gsbs.rutgers.edu one.
Hey! I had a similar issue. If you go to my.rutgers.edu portal and login, you should see on the right hand side, "RBHS Email". Click on the Sun convergence one and sign in through there. That's the gsbs portal to access your gsbs email!! :) Hope that helps!

Hey! I had a similar issue. If you go to my.rutgers.edu portal and login, you should see on the right hand side, "RBHS Email". Click on the Sun convergence one and sign in through there. That's the gsbs portal to access your gsbs email!! :) Hope that helps!

Thanks! Do you use your netid/password to log in? Mine didn't seem to work :(

Thanks! Do you use your netid/password to log in? Mine didn't seem to work :(
Did you wait 72 business hours after you sent in your deposit to create your netid??

I had the same issue and ended up calling. They made me change my password and it worked perfectly.

Whoa I just changed my password and it worked! Thank you!

Hi,
I got accepted to both Newark and Piscatway campuses for GSBS.

I was hoping if there was any current or past Newark or Piscataway students that would be willing to speak to me on the phone. If so please PM me! :)

I'd be EXTREAMLY appreciative to get some feed back from someone that is going through/went through the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up guys? I decided to go with the Rutgers Dental Scholar program in Newark. I had a couple questions. 1. I was wondering how long it took for the packet to come in after the confirmation of acceptance email? 2. I wanted to know if there is further guidance on picking housing and a meal plan, because I don't know if we are supposed to wait for orientation.

What's up guys? I decided to go with the Rutgers Dental Scholar program in Newark. I had a couple questions. 1. I was wondering how long it took for the packet to come in after the confirmation of acceptance email? 2. I wanted to know if there is further guidance on picking housing and a meal plan, because I don't know if we are supposed to wait for orientation.

Congrats! They don't really send you anything by mail..They only send information through email(which is nothing much, just a reminder to activate your netid and to submit all immunization records, etc..)
For your housing and meal plan, I think you should start searching for your options by yourself ;( There are plenty of apartments around the school!

Does anyone know how many students are accepted to each campus?

Last edited:
Just got my acceptance letter to the Medical Scholars program in Newark!! Sending my deposit first thing Monday morning! Can't wait to see you all in August!!!

If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats for medical scholars program? I applied during the same time as you but haven't heard anything yet.

Hey everyone! I was accepted to the Medical Scholars program in Newark! Congratulations to everyone else that got in and good luck to those that are still waiting. Has anyone initiated the housing process yet? or is everyone still just shopping around? I've seen the two university affiliated places but I wanted to know if anyone has found any other better options. also, I'm joining the FB group with 300 ppl but if there is a smaller one with just the incoming class, someone please link me to it. Thanks!

Hi guys!
Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I am a second year gsbs student at Newark campus. I am looking for a female roommate for a two bdr townhouse in society hill. It is less than 4 minute walk to Rutgers Grad Campus. Society hill has 24/7 patrolling security which is really great in Newark!
The apt is a duplex with a full laundry,dishwasher, 2.5 baths (you'll have a full bath right by your room to yourself), a balcony, fireplace, and driveway. PM me for more info if you're interested.

Have you found a roommate? Also, how much?

Does anyone here have the link to this current years FB page?

They've quietly discontinued the MCAT bootcamp. It wasn't available this year.

It all depends on how many credits you take. You can take up to 15 but only a few people actually do (graduate school credits are more intense than undergrad so don't try to compare like I did initially).

My first semester I took 12 credits and my classes were generally once a week for 3 hours. Check out the schedules from last fall and this spring. The spring semester is a lot wonkier.

Fall 2015
http://njms.rutgers.edu/gsbs/current_students/docs/2015/Fall2015Masters.pdf

Sprint 2016
http://njms.rutgers.edu/gsbs/current_students/docs/2015/Spring2016Master.pdf

Thank you! When registering, how do you choose the classes you have to take? I'm just curious why there are so many options but hardly any direct outline of recommended classes to complete the degree.

Also regarding housing, has anyone been able to apply for graduate school housing? The only option I'm seeing for 2016-17 is undergraduate 4 person apartments. Does this mean all housing has been filled in Newark?
So much confusion

Hello everyone,

Congratulations to everyone whom have been accepted and best of luck to those who have not heard back. I submitted my application on June 13, 2016 and have a complete application. Is anyone in my boat and still waiting to hear back? My GPA is not the greatest and neither is my DAT score. Besides the numbers, my other credentials are solid. Afterall, the program is geared toward helping students like myself, so I am hopeful. I would appreciate any pointers, nonetheless. Thanks in advance!! :)

Thank you! When registering, how do you choose the classes you have to take? I'm just curious why there are so many options but hardly arny direct outline of recommended classes to complete the degree.

Unlike the Piscataway and some other programs, your schedule is up to you, sans 3 or 4 required classes. Are you dental or medical? Either way you just email your program director (Garrett for medical; Tsiagbe for dental) and request advising and they'll meet with you to discuss classes, professional schools admissions, etc. Two classes pretty much everyone takes first semester are Fundamentals A and Seminar. You can get advising whenever you want and they're usually really helpful. You just have to reach out or you'll be anonymous.

Does anyone know when class registration starts? Do we get any advices regarding the class registration?

If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats for medical scholars program? I applied during the same time as you but haven't heard anything yet.

Hey! Sorry I didn't see this until now. My cGPA was a 3.2, my sGPA was a 3.0, and my GRE was 304 with a writing score of 4.5

You have to call them to enter you manually in the system, at least that's what I needed to do in order to see the Graduate Newark application

Also regarding housing, has anyone been able to apply for graduate school housing? The only option I'm seeing for 2016-17 is undergraduate 4 person apartments. Does this mean all housing has been filled in Newark?
So much confusion

My post above I forgot to quote you

Question for those living on campus: I submitted a housing deposit but they haven't taken it from my account. I called, someone told me unless the called me, it should be fine. I'm going to call again tomorrow, but has this happened to anyone??

Question for those living on campus: I submitted a housing deposit but they haven't taken it from my account. I called, someone told me unless the called me, it should be fine. I'm going to call again tomorrow, but has this happened to anyone??

Hey did you register yet for the classes? And sorry idk about the housing :/

Hey did you register yet for the classes? And sorry idk about the housing :/

Hey! From what I've read in previous threads, it seems that you can only register for classes during or after orientation. So, I'm guessing when we get there in August, it'll be open to us.

HI! Question- did you apply for a one-bedroom on campus grad housing or did you apply for a random roommate? I'm trying to live on campus, but noticed that there are only 2 bedroom apartments left for the 180 west market st apt.

HI! Question- did you apply for a one-bedroom on campus grad housing or did you apply for a random roommate? I'm trying to live on campus, but noticed that there are only 2 bedroom apartments left for the 180 west market st apt.

I had applied for the 2 bedroom . I think all the one bedroom ones were taken up really early.

I have another question. Aside from medical and dental school, what careers does this program prepare me for?

I had applied for the 2 bedroom . I think all the one bedroom ones were taken up really early.

Were you able to find a roommate? Or did you just apply with a random? :\

Hey everyone! I will be attending the MBS Medical Scholar's Program in Fall 2016 as well. Looking forward to meeting you all!

I'm looking into off campus housing and heard that Society Hill was a pretty good place to look at. Does anyone know of any other good options?

Hey guys,

I applied to Newark on 6/13 and was complete by 6/22. I haven't heard anything back yet. I spoke to Leslie last Wednesday and she said whoever is in charge of admissions has not got to some applications yet. Does anyone recommend speaking to anyone else over there? I am out of state so I am hoping to get a decision ASAP so I can making housing arrangements if I am admitted.

Hey guys,

I applied to Newark on 6/13 and was complete by 6/22. I haven't heard anything back yet. I spoke to Leslie last Wednesday and she said whoever is in charge of admissions has not got to some applications yet. Does anyone recommend speaking to anyone else over there? I am out of state so I am hoping to get a decision ASAP so I can making housing arrangements if I am admitted.

Hey,

I am in the exact same boat as you. I applied on 6/12 and was probably complete in 1 week since most of my materials were sent before I submitted. I called a few days ago and was told that applications are still being reviewed. I looked at a thread last year and people will still being accepted far into July. People were/are taking and retaking exams, so that is probably delaying things too. I'm a bit worried myself. :/ Are you dental or medical? Goodluck to us!

Hey,

I am in the exact same boat as you. I applied on 6/12 and was probably complete in 1 week since most of my materials were sent before I submitted. I called a few days ago and was told that applications are still being reviewed. I looked at a thread last year and people will still being accepted far into July. People were/are taking and retaking exams, so that is probably delaying things too. I'm a bit worried myself. :/ Are you dental or medical? Goodluck to us!

I'm dental as well, let me know if you hear anything!

Has anyone heard back from graduate housing for room assignments?

Has anyone received financial aid information yet? I sent in my documents a while back and still haven't received information.

Has anyone received financial aid information yet? I sent in my documents a while back and still haven't received information.
I spoke to them and I was told that financial aid information won't be sent until after we register for classes.

Hi, I was accepted to the dental scholars program the first week of June. I am trying to do the housing application but it keeps giving me an error. Did anyone else have this problem?

Hi, I was accepted to the dental scholars program the first week of June. I am trying to do the housing application but it keeps giving me an error. Did anyone else have this problem?
you have to call so they manually put it in

does anyone have an estimated date of when classes would start or a date that they have started in the past? just trying to gauge when I would have to prepare to move by. thanks

does anyone have an estimated date of when classes would start or a date that they have started in the past? just trying to gauge when I would have to prepare to move by. thanks

Most classes start late Aug/early Sept along with others that begin later in the semester. First day of class for Funds A is 9/6.

Does anyone know the approximate on campus move in date? I would assume it's before orientation (especially for those out of state), right?

Does anyone know the approximate on campus move in date? I would assume it's before orientation (especially for those out of state), right?

I got an email saying that it's from 9AM-12PM on Sunday, August 7th.