Royal veterinary college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antonella1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm attending RVC this fall. I have a quick question about moving there. What do you guys do about bank accounts and phones?

Members don't see this ad.

I lived there before. Cell phones are super easy to get and I remember being interviewed by the bank but I got an account. I'd recommend a big bank that has branches in both countries that would allow international transfers between US and UK accounts. I used to use citi bank for that. But now I would probably just get any old account and transfer money use some other service to transfer money at a flat rate. Plenty of options and technology is changing the game. Let me know if you find out a cheaper way to transfer!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! I went there, I loved it.

Bank account: you need documentation from the school to show that you are attending (you can probably get the letter still once you're signed in with Rover), you need a check to deposit (I got 1000 pounds advancement from the school ahead of the loans getting disbursed), and you need your passport with the student visa. I did Barclay, since it's a sister bank to Bank of America, where I have my account.

Phone: if you want to get a smart phone over there, you need a bank account/UK credit card so they can set up automatic debit for the bill. If you want a pay as you go basic phone, no bank account required.

Cheapest transfer option: Transferwise. Hands down best way to transfer money between the US and the UK. They don't charge much, and it takes no time. Transfer Money Online | Send Money Abroad with TransferWise

Reactions: 1 user