RowanSOM vs UNE-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudent012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all the medical community,

I was accepted to both RowanSOM and UNE-COM for the Fall of 2017, and I am considered out of state for each, but I need some sound advice as to which to attend. I need to make a decision FAST within about 10 days (for deposit purposes)

I don't have a preference to practice next to my home state, so I will most likely practice in the chosen school's state (I do have a general preference on the Northeast Region though, NJ, NY, PA MA)

Here are a few of the CONS and PROS I could think of for each:

RowanSOM
Pros
  • Many hospital affiliations, better rotations and residency options
  • Better affiliations also mean better research opportunities
  • The school has many dual-degree options, does that mean anything on school's capability?
  • There is an innovative PBL curriculum option where there are no classes (or very little) and the learning happens in group meetings discussing clinical cases from first year. Again, does that mean the school is innovative and has a better grasp of the medial learning material?

Cons
  • Expensive out-of-state ($63k /year) NOTE: since I'm an international student and won't be considered an in-state after my first year, the high tuition remains for all 4 years
  • Can't think of any other cons

UNE-COM
Pros
  • Cheaper international/out-of-state tuition ($53k / year)
  • The DO school is within the premises of the undergrad school, so many facilities are available to DO students as in any big university

Cons
  • Rural hospital affiliations for clinical rotations, and thus not as strong residency options

Summary: (One sentence with highlights)

So far, I am more leaning towards RowanSOM for the higher quality rotation sites which translates into higher quality residency options and future residency/research opportunities, even if I have to sacrifice $10k/year in higher tuition.

Any advice from current students and especially grads (for their experience in residency) is exactly what I need, thanksss!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi - I am an international student as well - planning to apply this year to both UNECOM and RowanSOM. Can you share your stats if you dont mind. Just wanted to know if we are expected to have higher stats as international students

If given the choice between these schools, I'd pick RowanSOM for the reasons you described. It seems to me that their rotations, residency, and hospital affiliations are one of the best. I would even venture to say that it's worth it despite the additional cost of RowanSOM but that's truly a decision only you can make as it depends on your financial situations.

As for teaching style, UNECOM incorporates some PBL into their learning too. I think both schools would provide you with an excellent education. It's really just the hospital affiliations that give RowanSOM the leg up for me.

I may be biased because I'm from NJ and RowanSOM was one of my top schools!