Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang also got bottom 10%. What are the stats of everyone in the top? because I thought a 512 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, 100+hr hospital volunteer, 25+hr DO shadowing would be decent
Any advice on what to do this gap year?

They don't only rank based off of your stats. The stats give you the interview, and your interview is what gives the final push. Just do anything productive during your gap year, especially something to set you apart. Since you already were qualified for the interview, I'm pretty sure you aren't lacking any experience per say. Do mock interviews with professionals as well and try to get feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,
I'm looking to drop my seat from rowan osteopath as im accepted in cooper. I know for allopathic the last day to drop schools is april 30th? when was the last day for osteopath schools.
Just want to do this in a clean way.

Hi everyone,

I have some information on the hold list. I called Rowan and spoke to April on Thursday. She told me I was in the middle of the hold list and there were about 40-50 people in front of me, which means the list is rather large. However, she said that 10 people got in off the list Thursday alone, so it is moving. In addition, she said the list is as large as it was last year, and everyone off the hold list last year got in. She said to call her in two weeks for an update. Basically, there's still a lot of time before White Coat and the list seems to be moving quickly, so keep your hopes up. I know I will

Members don't see this ad :)
The hold list has priority. I think the hold list is that you were accepted, but they didn't have any seats available so you're on hold. Correct me if I am wrong though
Hold list has priority. My friend was on it and she got the official acceptance call last week.

Called today and they wouldn't say how many are on hold list. But judging from past threads and responses it sounds like in the worst case scenario hold list would be around 25 people and waitlist around 100. Just my estimate. But I think someone said before that hold list is smaller than past years so maybe it's smaller than 25! Don't lose hope everyone! :biglove:

Hi everyone,

I have some information on the hold list. I called Rowan and spoke to April on Thursday. She told me I was in the middle of the hold list and there were about 40-50 people in front of me, which means the list is rather large. However, she said that 10 people got in off the list Thursday alone, so it is moving. In addition, she said the list is as large as it was last year, and everyone off the hold list last year got in. She said to call her in two weeks for an update. Basically, there's still a lot of time before White Coat and the list seems to be moving quickly, so keep your hopes up. I know I will

On the point about wait list rankings, I don't understand why this school releases information to some people and doesn't to others. This is incredibly frustrating. Also can we try to figure out this hold list? Judging from @jrv249 's post, they have 80-100 people on this hold and list that is absurd, because the WL is estimated to be about 100 people. But @atagnam 's post postulates the contrary. There is such a small chance for people on the wait list idk why they gave so many kids on the wait list false hope.

On the point about wait list rankings, I don't understand why this school releases information to some people and doesn't to others. This is incredibly frustrating. Also can we try to figure out this hold list? Judging from @jrv249 's post, they have 80-100 people on this hold and list that is absurd, because the WL is estimated to be about 100 people. But @atagnam 's post postulates the contrary. There is such a small chance for people on the wait list idk why they gave so many kids on the wait list false hope.
Ya i'm confused too and reading these posts with different opinions/info from admissions is such an emotional roller coaster you think you have a chance and then someone says something and you don't but then you do but then you don't :(...... If the hold list is 100 people and they also accepted 20-30% of people from the WL that would mean that the majority of the incoming class were students not immediately offered acceptances post-interview..I'm supposedly top 4% of the WL and I really just want to know if I have a chance at an eventual acceptance or if I should begin to pursue other options.

Ya i'm confused too and reading these posts with different opinions/info from admissions is such an emotional roller coaster you think you have a chance and then someone says something and you don't but then you do but then you don't :(...... If the hold list is 100 people and they also accepted 20-30% of people from the WL that would mean that the majority of the incoming class were students not immediately offered acceptances post-interview..I'm supposedly top 4% of the WL and I really just want to know if I have a chance at an eventual acceptance or if I should begin to pursue other options.

current first year here, when you have big hopes, the greater disappointment, so keep other options available so that you will have that options open when things do not go the way you want it to be... and at the end of the day... it's part of life... but best of luck! do not lose that drive that you want to be a doc.

Reactions: 1 users
So, as crazy as it may seem, I do believe both the hold list and the the wait list are about 100 people each. Besides being told by the admissions staff, I did a little Facebook digging and think I can confirm this through intuition. So, there's a Facebook group every year for accepted students and the past two years (Class of 2019 and 2020) those groups have each had over 400 members in them. I understand that judging by Facebook members is an inexact science, but with only 186 spots in the class available, having 400 people accepted means there are a ton of hold and wait list people up for spots. Seems like many people get accepted to Rowan early on and go to school elsewhere, but don't take themselves out of the Facebook groups. Again, I know this isn't the perfect way to confirm the size of the lists, but it does show a trend. Also, just for reference, the incoming Class of 2021 that we're hoping to get into has 253 member in its facebook group as of right now.

So, as crazy as it may seem, I do believe both the hold list and the the wait list are about 100 people each. Besides being told by the admissions staff, I did a little Facebook digging and think I can confirm this through intuition. So, there's a Facebook group every year for accepted students and the past two years (Class of 2019 and 2020) those groups have each had over 400 members in them. I understand that judging by Facebook members is an inexact science, but with only 186 spots in the class available, having 400 people accepted means there are a ton of hold and wait list people up for spots. Seems like many people get accepted to Rowan early on and go to school elsewhere, but don't take themselves out of the Facebook groups. Again, I know this isn't the perfect way to confirm the size of the lists, but it does show a trend. Also, just for reference, the incoming Class of 2021 that we're hoping to get into has 253 member in its facebook group as of right now.

class of 2020, 2019 have 400+ students on them is because 4th,3rd,2nd year are also part of class2020/19 ... and etc.

class of 2020, 2019 have 400+ students on them is because 4th,3rd,2nd year are also part of class2020/19 ... and etc.

Are you sure? Why would people join multiple groups? You can only part of one "class" so joining multiple groups wouldnt make much sense.

Are you sure? Why would people join multiple groups? You can only part of one "class" so joining multiple groups wouldnt make much sense.

medical students, even college students, always join their own class groups and subsequent class groups....it does make much sense. my undergraduate and the medical school I am currently doing my SMP at does that.

medical students, even college students, always join their own class groups and subsequent class groups....it does make much sense. my undergraduate and the medical school I am currently doing my SMP at does that.

Fair enough. I've never heard of that and I've never done it, but thats fine. Doesn't change the fact that the hold list and wait lists are large

Fair enough. I've never heard of that and I've never done it, but thats fine. Doesn't change the fact that the hold list and wait lists are large

Thank you guys for your clarification though. I appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey! I am part of the incoming class of 2017 and also part of the FB group. The group is actually composed of not only recently accepted students, but also of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students. Most of the upperclassmen are on the group to share information about housing that is available in the area. This is the primary reason why the FB group is so large. Good luck to you all!

- GarloDO

You're all overthinking this and stressing yourselves out even more. Your stats are in and interviews are done, just relax now knowing you tried your best and don't let this stress control you!

Reactions: 3 users
There should be plenty of movement coming in the next couple of weeks, as other people start withdrawing and accepting spots all over. Allopathic med school's traffic dateline was May 1st, which ensures applicants choose only one school and withdraw from all other accepted schools but can remain on several waitlists at the same time. Good luck everyone!

Current first year here. I can confirm that the official class FB groups are so large because there are students from every class who join to make announcements/answer questions. Each class has a "secret" FB group that (for the most part) only has members from your actual class year. (Yours will be created during prematric.) If anyone has any other concerns/questions a 1st year might be able to address, lmk. Also, for those of you who are accepted and want to shadow a first year, PM me! Good luck, everyone!

I find it very hard to believe that the HL is upwards of 100 students considering the entire list had been used last year with some students being pulled from the waitlist. As others have said, this would mean that the entire class that matriculated last year would have to be made up of hold students and waitlist studetns. Think about how competitive gaining acceptance is and the probability of a school handing acceptances out as freely as it is being implied. I think we're right in assuming the list is very small and that the majority of us will be pulled from the list and wont have to wait until next year.

Last edited:
I find it very hard to believe that the HL is upwards of 100 students considering the entire list had been used last year with some students being pulled from the waitlist. As others have said, this would mean that the entire class that matriculated last year would have to be made up of hold students and waitlist studetns. Think about how competitive gaining acceptance is and the probability of a school handing acceptances out as freely as it is being implied. I think we're right in assuming the list is very small and that the majority of us will be pulled from the list and wont have to wait until next year.

I feel the same way. Reading through past posts I got the impression that 25 would be considered large for the hold list. @pandalover123210 I apologize if my estimate caused confusion, I genuinely thought it would be at least somewhat accurate. But I was surprised and disappointed as well when it was suggested that the hold list is as large as 100. Regardless I agree with @SweeneyFob. We are stressing ourselves out by trying to figure out this mysterious number when knowing will not change much. Still it is great to know that I am not the only one suffering through this waiting period. Hope everyone stays positive and finds peace in knowing that we did amazingly while getting to this point in the first place. I wish everyone the best of luck! :luck:

I feel the same way. Reading through past posts I got the impression that 25 would be considered large for the hold list. @pandalover123210 I apologize if my estimate caused confusion, I genuinely thought it would be at least somewhat accurate. But I was surprised and disappointed as well when it was suggested that the hold list is as large as 100. Regardless I agree with @SweeneyFob. We are stressing ourselves out by trying to figure out this mysterious number when knowing will not change much. Still it is great to know that I am not the only one suffering through this waiting period. Hope everyone stays positive and finds peace in knowing that we did amazingly while getting to this point in the first place. I wish everyone the best of luck! :luck:

Very well said. It's a tough field to get into and knowing that the acceptance rate at any school is between 2-4%, we should all be extremely proud of how far we made it. Whether you've made it on the hold list or not, just know that in being invited to an interview you have what it takes to make it in medicine and your day will come sooner rather than later. Less than 5% of the population is able to do what we've all done and we all sat in that interview room as a representation of that ~5%, that in and of itself is rewarding.

Reactions: 5 users
hey! does anyone know what type of computer we get? just wondering if I should get a new one before school or use the one given. thanks! also, do people have ipads/tablets and are they helpful?

hey! does anyone know what type of computer we get? just wondering if I should get a new one before school or use the one given. thanks! also, do people have ipads/tablets and are they helpful?

I am pretty sure its a Lenovo Thinkpad. They give you a laptop that you will take all of your exams on as a way to ensure that the computer you are using has all the software needed to take said exam. So, as far as I know, you don't really have any other choice but to use the one they provide to you. In terms of note taking and other things like that, you may or may not be able to use whatever you'd like. This is all information I gathered during campus tours and speaking with current students.

Genuinely curious about this too, I only put down the initial deposit. I hope I'm safe. This is my top choice.
After the deposit, just make sure you submit your health packet and complete all requirements for the financial aid office. Besides that, there was the essays if you are interested in PBL.

I am pretty sure its a Lenovo Thinkpad. They give you a laptop that you will take all of your exams on as a way to ensure that the computer you are using has all the software needed to take said exam. So, as far as I know, you don't really have any other choice but to use the one they provide to you. In terms of note taking and other things like that, you may or may not be able to use whatever you'd like. This is all information I gathered during campus tours and speaking with current students.

Current first years have lenovo thinkpads that are required for taking exams and quizzes. Other than taking exams/quizzes, you can use whichever laptop you want for note-taking or whatever else.
On a similar note, you also do not need to worry about purchasing your own medical equipment like in some other schools. Your tuition pays for a kit Rowan will provide.
Additionally, don't worry about purchasing textbooks for class because you will be paired with a 2nd year "big" who will give you a hard drive full of goodies!

Just spoke to admissions, they've gotten through 20% of the hold list in just the two weeks that they began utilizing it. I was also told the hold list is "slightly smaller than the waitlist" but no numbers were given. In past years, they did get to the wait list though. Does anyone know how they notify you if you are pulled? I am going to be out of the country for the next three weeks and I am terrified that I'd miss such an important phone call (I don't mean to assume I'll be getting one just being hopeful)

Just spoke to admissions, they've gotten through 20% of the hold list in just the two weeks that they began utilizing it. I was also told the hold list is "slightly smaller than the waitlist" but no numbers were given. In past years, they did get to the wait list though. Does anyone know how they notify you if you are pulled? I am going to be out of the country for the next three weeks and I am terrified that I'd miss such an important phone call (I don't mean to assume I'll be getting one just being hopeful)

First, I'm glad you can confirm them saying the hold list is somewhere in the ballpark of the wait list in terms of the number of people on it.

Second, from what I've heard, if you get off the hold list, they call you directly and then send a follow-up email shortly after

any current students live at the vista or the village or know which one is better?

Do you guys think your ranking can go down rather than up during this process? I asked last week and I was told I'm on top 20% and this week I was told top 25%. I asked whether the ranking can go down but I wasn't given a satisfactory answer. I know I shouldn't stress myself out but I am inevitably freaking out a bit. Like is there something I should be doing to maintain my ranking?

Do you guys think your ranking can go down rather than up during this process? I asked last week and I was told I'm on top 20% and this week I was told top 25%. I asked whether the ranking can go down but I wasn't given a satisfactory answer. I know I shouldn't stress myself out but I am inevitably freaking out a bit. Like is there something I should be doing to maintain my ranking?

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I think they fire off numbers to give you something rather than nothing. You said it yourself, stressing yourself out worrying about this mysterious number thing when knowing wont change much. To make you feel better, if you think about it from a statistical standpoint, you don't know where you are in that top 25%. You probably are closer to the top of the list than you were last week with less students on it. Say there were 100 students on the list, like someone had said earlier, and you're in the top 20%. You don't know if you're the first student to be called off the list or that last. Say they took 10 students between this week and last week leaving 90 students left on the list. Worst case scenario you'd be 10th this week if you were 20th on the list last week and if whoever you spoke to broke the list into thirds, you'd be considered in the top 33% of the list (as opposed to last weeks top 20%). I think it's all relative to who you speak to and how much information they're willing to hand out. I HIGHLY doubt you fall on the list as the list gets smaller so don't worry yourself sick. At the end of the day you are still Guaranteed seat.

I hope that makes the slightest bit of sense.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about it, I think they fire off numbers to give you something rather than nothing. You said it yourself, stressing yourself out worrying about this mysterious number thing when knowing wont change much. To make you feel better, if you think about it from a statistical standpoint, you don't know where you are in that top 25%. You probably are closer to the top of the list than you were last week with less students on it. Say there were 100 students on the list, like someone had said earlier, and you're in the top 20%. You don't know if you're the first student to be called off the list or that last. Say they took 10 students between this week and last week leaving 90 students left on the list. Worst case scenario you'd be 10th this week if you were 20th on the list last week and if whoever you spoke to broke the list into thirds, you'd be considered in the top 33% of the list (as opposed to last weeks top 20%). I think it's all relative to who you speak to and how much information they're willing to hand out. I HIGHLY doubt you fall on the list as the list gets smaller so don't worry yourself sick. At the end of the day you are still GUARANTEE a seat.

I hope that makes the slightest bit of sense.

Wow thank you so much for taking time to calm my craziness down. That was very helpful and made a lot of sense! You are great :)

Wow thank you so much for taking time to calm my craziness down. That was very helpful and made a lot of sense! You are great :)

I am also on the hold list, so I'm right there with you lol

I received a phone call, and then an email, and then a written letter!

I received a phone call, and then an email, and then a written letter!

I got a letter and a phone call. But I still haven't gotten the email with the attached acceptance packet. Is this normal? Don't I need to pay the fee ASAP?

I got a letter and a phone call. But I still haven't gotten the email with the attached acceptance packet. Is this normal? Don't I need to pay the fee ASAP?
I got mine within the week after. Don't fret!

Current first year here. I can confirm that the official class FB groups are so large because there are students from every class who join to make announcements/answer questions. Each class has a "secret" FB group that (for the most part) only has members from your actual class year. (Yours will be created during prematric.) If anyone has any other concerns/questions a 1st year might be able to address, lmk. Also, for those of you who are accepted and want to shadow a first year, PM me! Good luck, everyone!
Do you know when they let you know if you've gotten into the PBL curriculum track? Is it before prematric?

Does anyone know roughly when wait list movement began in previous year? Is it too early to be expecting movement in May?

Does anyone know roughly when wait list movement began in previous year? Is it too early to be expecting movement in May?

The entire hold list has yet to be exhausted, so at this point I would say yes it is in fact too soon to be expecting movement on the wait list.

I also wouldn't hold on to any squeezing by with a wait list spot either. I don't mean to offend you or anything like that, but coming from someone who hung on to a few wait list spots last year, your time is better spent evaluating what you can do to improve your chances moving forward. If you've made it this far, I'm more than certain you've got what it takes to become a physician and you may just need to look toward beefing your application up in some areas. I'd call admissions, anywhere that you were wait listed not just Rowan, and see what you can do to improve your application OR your approach to interviewing.

Last edited:
The entire hold list has yet to be exhausted, so at this point I would say yes it is in fact too soon to be expecting movement on the wait list.

I also wouldn't hold on to any squeezing by with a wait list spot either. I don't mean to offend you or anything like that, but coming from someone who hung on to a few wait list spots last year, your time is better spent evaluating what you can do to improve your chances moving forward. If you've made it this far, I'm more than certain you've got what it takes to become a physician and you may just need to look toward beefing your application up in some areas. I'd call admissions, anywhere that you were wait listed not just Rowan, and see what you can do to improve your application OR your approach to interviewing.

Ya I've already began exploring my other options but I can't deny that I am still hopeful. I was told that in the past people have been taken from the wait list and that they've gone into the wait list even past where I am now (top 4%).

Update on the hold list. Called admissions today and was told that they have gone through 30% of the hold list as of now. Seems like the list is moving very quickly

Update on the hold list. Called admissions today and was told that they have gone through 30% of the hold list as of now. Seems like the list is moving very quickly

I called Monday and was told the same thing basically.

So I called again today.. they said the hold list has been having movement but couldn't comment how far along the list is completed.

I was told intially 90th percentile on waitlist, called a week later and was told 50th percentile, and today I was told 85th percentile

Guess I'll just stop calling and wait it out without bothering them; if it happens it happens right?

GL all!

So I called again today.. they said the hold list has been having movement but couldn't comment how far along the list is completed.

I was told intially 90th percentile on waitlist, called a week later and was told 50th percentile, and today I was told 85th percentile

Guess I'll just stop calling and wait it out without bothering them; if it happens it happens right?

GL all!

So you're on the waitlist, or the hold list?

I did write waitlist :p

I can see that. I was only asking because the post may cause a little confusion concerning those looking for movement on the hold list. I'm just trying to clear up any confusion before people begin to think they were jumped over on the hold list. :shrug:

I can see that. I was only asking because the post may cause a little confusion concerning those looking for movement on the hold list. I'm just trying to clear up any confusion before people begin to think they were jumped over on the hold list. :shrug:

Ah I see, my bad, was answering from phone before so maybe the wording wasn't great. I was just giving an update on the hold list as well since the waitlist won't happen until it's exhausted. :)

Was anyone here complete in mid-July and still receive an interview before October?