Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For current students who were on the hold list last year, around what time of the year did yall hear back about an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

hi! does anyone know how long we have to accept the financial aid offer? i am waitlisted at a school and am hesistant to accept until mid-may. thoughts?

hi! does anyone know how long we have to accept the financial aid offer? i am waitlisted at a school and am hesistant to accept until mid-may. thoughts?
My understanding is that by not responding, you are accepting the amount that they have offered you in financial aid. It would only be modified if you respond and ask for a lesser amount....That's how it is for accepted students, and I'm guessing it would be the same for waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that by not responding, you are accepting the amount that they have offered you in financial aid. It would only be modified if you respond and ask for a lesser amount....That's how it is for accepted students, and I'm guessing it would be the same for waitlist.
Do you have access to the online financial aid account on the rowan website? I didn't get a User ID yet.

Do you have access to the online financial aid account on the rowan website? I didn't get a User ID yet.
I asked about this. They said not to worry about logging into the actual account yet since they send out logon codes later when the semester is closer.

Reactions: 1 user
If we got a letter stating we're on the hold list, do we have to email them saying anything to confirm or do we just wait?

im waitlisted at some other schools and was thinking of waiting to get a roomate until late june/early july.... is that too late? are people still finding others at that time??

Just called admissions, ranking will be out in the middle of the week, gl everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Just called admissions, ranking will be out in the middle of the week, gl everyone!

Haha i was just about to call and ask. Thanks! I'm getting a little nervous

How will we know where we stand on the waitlist/hold list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got off Hold list!

Edit: Sorry Hold List* I just got off the hold list, was told someone just withdrew their acceptance and there was a spot for me

Last edited:
When we get the email that we're on hold list, do we have to confirm that we want to keep our spot on it? I don't want them to take me off of it.
Nope. When you get taken off, they'll ask for a deposit. If by some chance it's not this year, they will call once matriculation is done and you have to give them the deposit then to hold your spot for next year.

Just got off Hold list!

Edit: Sorry Hold List* I just got off the hold list, was told someone just withdrew their acceptance and there was a spot for me

Congrats!! Do you know how many people are on the hold list this year? Looks like movement started pretty early. And for everyone on the wait list, tomorrow after 2 is the time to call! I hope we all get through though it's gonna be really busy for them

Last edited:
Just got my rejection email that the cycle is complete :(

Didn't get that email ... starting to think my application wasn't even reviewed. Happy with how this application cycle panned out for me, but kinda pissed that I haven't had ANY communication from my own state program since being complete

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't get that email ... starting to think my application wasn't even reviewed. Happy with how this application cycle panned out for me, but kinda pissed that I haven't had ANY communication from my own state program since being complete

Feel the exact same way. Submitted my secondary Early Aug. Sent in an academic update in Jan. Still haven't even heard a word back.

Feel the exact same way. Submitted my secondary Early Aug. Sent in an academic update in Jan. Still haven't even heard a word back.

I emailed them twice with no response both times and called the admissions office - got the answering machine once and was put on hold for 30 minutes the second time. I had solid stats for this school (not to mention I'm in-state so should've had preference to begin with) so I really don't understand how I got more attention from other schools, but zero communication from Rowan.

I just called and was told that I am in the top 4% of the wait list. I was previously told by Dean Watkins that I was number 3 on the wait list. Seems decent but is this really a good place to be or am I just giving myself false hope? They also said there is a lot of movement right now on the hold list but wouldn't tell me how many people are on that list for comparison.

I just called and was told that I am in the top 4% of the wait list. I was previously told by Dean Watkins that I was number 3 on the wait list. Seems decent but is this really a good place to be or am I just giving myself false hope? They also said there is a lot of movement right now on the hold list but wouldn't tell me how many people are on that list for comparison.
I just called right now as well and was told I am on the 5% of the waitlist.

That's exactly what I did. And my stats aren't bad either. I told them a million times they're my first choice but the lack of communication is ridiculous.

Just called and was told I am on the top 1/3 of the wait-list. Not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound too good :(.

90th percentile for me :(? Not sure if that is good news or not because the hold is unknown, but good luck everyone!

90% percentile for the hold list for me as well, which translates to bottom 10%. Guess Fetty Wap is no longer welcome in Jersey. Going to go drown my sorrows with that good good Remy Martin yo.

I was told i'm right in the middle, so I'm assuming like 50% or around there. So basically no hope for me

90% percentile for the hold list for me as well, which translates to bottom 10%. Guess Fetty Wap is no longer welcome in Jersey. Going to go drown my sorrows with that good good Remy Martin yo.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is being in the 90th percentile not translate to top 10%? Means 10% of students are above you so I say you placed well! Don't give up yet :)

They gave you your position for the hold list ? Did they say how large the hold list is?

hi! for student accepted earlier in the year, besides the initial deposit made in december, is there anything else we have to do to guarantee a seat? cant wait to meet everyone!

hi! for student accepted earlier in the year, besides the initial deposit made in december, is there anything else we have to do to guarantee a seat? cant wait to meet everyone!
Genuinely curious about this too, I only put down the initial deposit. I hope I'm safe. This is my top choice.

Just called and was told I am on the top 1/3 of the wait-list. Not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound too good :(.
30% of the class came from the WL last year!!

Called them today and was told that I am on the 9% on the waitlist. 9 people ahead me. She said that they are now working on the hold list. Waitlist movement will start around END of May.

Just the deposit, background check and health forms (due beginning of June).

Correct me if I am wrong, but is being in the 90th percentile not translate to top 10%? Means 10% of students are above you so I say you placed well! Don't give up yet :)
I think the woman on the phone made a mistake saying 90% percentile, I called back today and I am in the bottom 10%. Squaw!

Called today and they wouldn't say how many are on hold list. But judging from past threads and responses it sounds like in the worst case scenario hold list would be around 25 people and waitlist around 100. Just my estimate. But I think someone said before that hold list is smaller than past years so maybe it's smaller than 25! Don't lose hope everyone! :biglove:

Dang also got bottom 10%. What are the stats of everyone in the top? because I thought a 512 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, 100+hr hospital volunteer, 25+hr DO shadowing would be decent
Any advice on what to do this gap year?

I called again today to figure out if 90th percentile meant top or bottom 10% and now I was told I'm in the middle of the waitlist.. ?

They expect the waitlist to start moving in June apparently.. so I think my chances are shot here :(

Dang also got bottom 10%. What are the stats of everyone in the top? because I thought a 512 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, 100+hr hospital volunteer, 25+hr DO shadowing would be decent
Do you have any red flags on your application or interview?

Try a scribe job, and really emphasize the qualities and competencies in ur app that would make u a great physician .. leadership, teamwork, self-directed learning, persistence, resilience, emotional intelligence etc

Just want to get something straight. Is the hold list or waitlist ranked? I thought hold list had priority.

Just want to get something straight. Is the hold list or waitlist ranked? I thought hold list had priority.
The hold list has priority. I think the hold list is that you were accepted, but they didn't have any seats available so you're on hold. Correct me if I am wrong though

The hold list has priority. I think the hold list is that you were accepted, but they didn't have any seats available so you're on hold. Correct me if I am wrong though
That is my understanding as well. My question is if the hold list is ranked. Has anyone gotten that confirmation ?

Called again today and was informed I was the top 10% of the WL instead of top 1/3. Also was advised that there was about only 10 ppl ahead of me

That is my understanding as well. My question is if the hold list is ranked. Has anyone gotten that confirmation ?

You're all right. It has been getting a little confusing in this thread considering the interchangeable words people have been using to describe the two lists. There are only two lists from which prospective students are to be pulled from, a hold list, and a wait list. The hold list takes priority over the wait list with the hold list being made up of students who would have been offered immediate admission had there been an open seat available for them. Think of the hold list as booking a flight with united airlines, or any flight for that matter. Airline companies, like medical schools, often overbook their flights on the chance that a majority of the passengers booked will not show up for the flight. As students choose to matriculate elsewhere, seats in the upcoming class open up and students will be pulled from the hold list until that list has been exhausted. Then, and only then, will students be pulled from the wait list. On the off chance that the hold list is not fully exhausted, those students that remain on the list will be GUARANTEED admission for the following year and their acceptance status will be recorded once the 2017 academic year has begun.

Hope this helps clear a few things up as I am also waiting on the hold list.