Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to get accepted off the waitlist as well. But I don't think they are going to start looking for who to take off the waitlist until April. Personally, I'm not that hopeful considering how competitive things are and that my interview probably wasn't amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last year they had a hold list and wait list. Everyone off hold list was accepted and some off wait list. I was placed on the hold on and I called probably 5 times every week asking for updates. Sometimes they will tell you, sometimes they wont. I finally got accepted in May and I interviewed in March. Just have to play the waiting game.

Reactions: 1 user
Last year they had a hold list and wait list. Everyone off hold list was accepted and some off wait list. I was placed on the hold on and I called probably 5 times every week asking for updates. Sometimes they will tell you, sometimes they wont. I finally got accepted in May and I interviewed in March. Just have to play the waiting game.

Any difference between alternate, hold, waitlist? or are they all different versions of the same thing

Members don't see this ad :)
Any difference between alternate, hold, waitlist? or are they all different versions of the same thing
Hold list are students that would have accepted but could not due to class size. These students are 1st priority on a seat when it becomes available. Waitlist is just a normal waitlist but they are 2nd priority. They will make it known through acceptance letter which list you are on.

Are you referring to the interview experience or masters? The interview was really laid back, mostly discussing prior research and volunteer experience. It was a while ago though but I don't think I was asked any ethic questions. Of all the schools I went to interviews at, it was the best experience by far.

Oh I meant the masters. Would u say it was worth it?

Out of curiosity, how early do they start accepting students off the hold list? A friend of mine (who is not on SDN) got the call yesterday that she's on the hold list, so she definitely has a spot next year without reapplying if she doesn't get a spot this year, but it looks like they've accepted everyone off the hold list in past years. Going by past threads only, it looks like movement started in June and wait list movement started in July, but I was wondering if any current Rowan SOM students know of people who were accepted in April-May, because I would imagine it starts earlier as people withdraw their acceptances for other schools throughout the spring?

Edited to add: I missed MDaddy's post; thanks for that! I'm curious if hold list movement typically starts in May? Do DO schools have a deadline like MD schools to choose one school and withdraw from the rest?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how early do they start accepting students off the hold list? A friend of mine (who is not on SDN) got the call yesterday that she's on the hold list, so she definitely has a spot next year without reapplying if she doesn't get a spot this year, but it looks like they've accepted everyone off the hold list in past years. Going by past threads only, it looks like movement started in June and wait list movement started in July, but I was wondering if any current Rowan SOM students know of people who were accepted in April-May, because I would imagine it starts earlier as people withdraw their acceptances for other schools throughout the spring?

Edited to add: I missed MDaddy's post; thanks for that! I'm curious if hold list movement typically starts in May? Do DO schools have a deadline like MD schools to choose one school and withdraw from the rest?
Do you by any chance know if your friend had received a waitlist letter in the mail after her interview? Sorry I'm just trying to figure out what's happening maybe yesterday they decided there will be a hold list and a wait list.

Do you by any chance know if your friend had received a waitlist letter in the mail after her interview? Sorry I'm just trying to figure out what's happening maybe yesterday they decided there will be a hold list and a wait list.
Yeah, I was told there is no holdlist this year, just an alternative/waitlist? I dunno.

Same question as SoMa, do you know if your friend received a waitlist letter first? Do you know if they pull people off the waitlist for the hold list or not?

No, she didn't receive anything anything by email or regular mail. She interviewed a few weeks ago and emailed an update to them last week, and didn't hear anything at all until she got the call yesterday congratulating her and saying that she is on the hold list. They specifically said it means that she doesn't need to reapply if a spot doesn't open up in the 2017 class, but that they're pretty confident she'll have a spot this year.

Oh I meant the masters. Would u say it was worth it?

So my masters is in Aerospace Engineering (Aerospace Engineering undergrad) so my situation is a little different. I will say that it definitely helped in regards to further developing my research skills. While the classes were somewhat interesting, it really didn't add much. The main benefit was the thesis development and working on interesting projects independently. Plus, getting a few publications out of it makes it worth it. I should be able to give you a more definitive answer next week after I defend lol

So my masters is in Aerospace Engineering (Aerospace Engineering undergrad) so my situation is a little different. I will say that it definitely helped in regards to further developing my research skills. While the classes were somewhat interesting, it really didn't add much. The main benefit was the thesis development and working on interesting projects independently. Plus, getting a few publications out of it makes it worth it. I should be able to give you a more definitive answer next week after I defend lol

Lol good luck!

Any new interview invites? I was told they are interviewing through March but the thread has been quiet lately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted way back in December. I am still considering other schools that I am on the waitlist, RWJMS specifically, but I was wondering the rules being locked into a school you accepted.
For example if I get accepted off waitlist into another school on may 20th, am I in time to get off from Rowan? After much googling I could never find the matriculation/acceptance rules for osteopath schools. Heading to student acceptance day this saturday.

Any new interview invites? I was told they are interviewing through March but the thread has been quiet lately.
I called today to ask where exactly in the process we are and they said they're still interviewing students. I also asked about the hold list vs the wait list and they said it's two separate things and if you were put on the wait list you won't be moved to a hold list. They also said they haven't decided if there's going to be a hold list but someone on SDN said their friend was told she's on the hold list but that's the only person I've seen mention a hold list.

I called today to ask where exactly in the process we are and they said they're still interviewing students. I also asked about the hold list vs the wait list and they said it's two separate things and if you were put on the wait list you won't be moved to a hold list. They also said they haven't decided if there's going to be a hold list but someone on SDN said their friend was told she's on the hold list but that's the only person I've seen mention a hold list.

Thanks! Do you know if at this point they're still interviewing for acceptances or just for the wait list?

Thanks! Do you know if at this point they're still interviewing for acceptances or just for the wait list?
I'm not too sure but it seems odd to me that they'd put someone on a hold list if there are still seats why not just accept them? But there's a discrepancy between what admissions says and what has been told to students. I was waitisted back in November and I actually visited and spoke w dean watkins and she told me at that point I was number 3 on the wait list but now when I call admissions they say the wait list hasn't been ranked so I'm so confused

Reactions: 1 users
No, she didn't receive anything anything by email or regular mail. She interviewed a few weeks ago and emailed an update to them last week, and didn't hear anything at all until she got the call yesterday congratulating her and saying that she is on the hold list. They specifically said it means that she doesn't need to reapply if a spot doesn't open up in the 2017 class, but that they're pretty confident she'll have a spot this year.

When was her interview mind if I ask? I interviewed mid-February and haven't heard back yet. Not sure if that means I was waitlisted or just haven't made the decision yet. Called admisisons office and they said they would call me back, but nothing yet. Thanks!

So I was looking into the pre-matriculation program, and I really want to attend it. However, I am currently in an SMP and there is a summer semester during the program. Do you guys think it would be better if I did the pre-matriculation program instead?

So I was looking into the pre-matriculation program, and I really want to attend it. However, I am currently in an SMP and there is a summer semester during the program. Do you guys think it would be better if I did the pre-matriculation program instead?

I guess it depends on why you would do the pre-mat program (get used to campus, accustomed to classes or material, etc.). It isn't required so its only beneficial to do if you truly want to, not if you feel you have to. I myself am doing it just so I can get used to the campus and settle in.

I'm not too sure but it seems odd to me that they'd put someone on a hold list if there are still seats why not just accept them? But there's a discrepancy between what admissions says and what has been told to students. I was waitisted back in November and I actually visited and spoke w dean watkins and she told me at that point I was number 3 on the wait list but now when I call admissions they say the wait list hasn't been ranked so I'm so confused

Yeah I called too and was told that I was top 10 on the waitlist and now "just call back mid-April? I understand that this is a process but cmon we need to plan our lives accordingly as well....I'm so confused too.

Yeah I called too and was told that I was top 10 on the waitlist and now "just call back mid-April? I understand that this is a process but cmon we need to plan our lives accordingly as well....I'm so confused too.

Does waitlist mean waitlist to interview or waitlist for acceptance?

about a week ago, watkins told me that I am on the top 10% waitlist and that there is strong chance that I could be admitted to the class of 2021.

Has anyone else not received an interview, but also not received a rejection?

If you have nothing else going on during the summer definitely do the Pre-Matric program. Allows you to settle, make friends, and gives an introduction to some classes (Pre-matric OMM is similar to first month of school). I think last year there were around 30-50 students who were part of the program. If you cant do it then its no big deal, doesn't make a difference academically.

Has anyone else not received an interview, but also not received a rejection?
I'm in the same boat. Really don't understand what's going on here.

I guess it depends on why you would do the pre-mat program (get used to campus, accustomed to classes or material, etc.). It isn't required so its only beneficial to do if you truly want to, not if you feel you have to. I myself am doing it just so I can get used to the campus and settle in.

I was more wondering if it was worth dropping an SMP. I think I would benefit more from the program, but Im only 3 classes away from a degree.

Last edited:
Lol good luck!

So now that I have defended this morning (and successfully passed), I can definitely say it was worth it. Its highly dependent on what you make out of it.

I'm declining my acceptance but it was a really hard decision. I really liked rowansom. Best of luck to whoever gets my spot!

Does anyone have any idea about what the basis for ranking the waitlist is? Is it based on MCAT/GPA or is it based on the order of your interview date or even just your interview score?

waitlisted, got the letter today ._. better than a rejection though so can't complain!

Last edited:
Any acceptances recently?

I received a letter today explaining I have been accepted, but as of now they do not have any seats available for the 2017 entering class. If a seat opens up, I could potentially be invited to join this August, but I have a guaranteed seat in for next year in August 2018. I'm extremely happy!! I loved Rowan <3

Edit: I'm not sure if this is the same thing as a being on a wait list?

I don't understand why some of us that haven't been interviewed haven't been rejected if the 2017 class is full. This makes no sense.

For real. I guess it's just a silent one at this point.
From their website: "Interviews generally begin around the end of August and conclude at the end of April. When the interview process concludes, those applicants who were not invited for an interview will be informed of a final admissions decision."

Heads up for those doing fafsa, I finally got the eligible loan award amounts in today. I submitted in December.

Heads up for those doing fafsa, I finally got the eligible loan award amounts in today. I submitted in December.
+1
I also got my award letter by snail mail, very disappointed that it's only loans.

Yeap, me neither. I don't think the federal loans cover even half of the cost of attendance. Damn!

Are you OOS? Based on last year, the COA was like 69K for IS, but they do use kind of high values for living expenses and room/board.